Options

Cartoon drawings - Looking for tips & pointers

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hello!

I'm new here; I've just started a personal hobby project that'll involve drawing a bunch of cartoons for printing out onto cards. I've always liked drawing, but I don't pick up a pencil that often & I'm not that good when I do. I visit PA a lot just to read the comic, and then I noticed there was an artist critique forum here too, so I thought it would be a handy place to look for some help.

This is the guy I'm working on right now:

Pitchwalker%20WIP.png

...He's pretty bad right now, I know; I probably should've tried for some simpler shapes. I'm really vexed with how to get his left hand to properly wrap around the throwing weapon he has (which I need to detail some more), and how to properly texture the wood for the crossbow (...I'm thinking that's probably a more advanced thing than I can really do, but I'm curious as to how people like to do it. I tried shading-in some wavy grains like I see on my hardwood floor, but it just looked weird).

I'm not sure how to do lighting or shadows either, but I'd probably be getting way too far ahead of myself trying that stuff.

Any pointers would be great (or edits, if you guys do that sort of thing here).

With Love and Courage
The Ender on

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You'd benefit from reading some of the materials in the first post of the questions and discussions thread.

Specifically, Fun With a Pencil by Andrew Loomis.

I'm not sure, but there might also be a copy of How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way in there, also. Both are excellent resources for beginning cartoonists.

Otherwise, keep practicing and welcome to the forums.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do you have your card template designed yet? I'd like to see how the images will fit in it.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Do you have your card template designed yet? I'd like to see how the images will fit in it.

I don't have that designed yet, no. I was thinking of doing something similar to the layout of Magic: The Gathering cards, but running the image all the way down the card instead of confining it to the almost-landscape style window.
    You'd benefit from reading some of the materials in the first post of the questions and discussions thread.

Specifically, Fun With a Pencil by Andrew Loomis.

I'm not sure, but there might also be a copy of How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way in there, also. Both are excellent resources for beginning cartoonists.

Otherwise, keep practicing and welcome to the forums.

Thanks!

I read through the post that the stickied thread links to, but most of the tutorial links I clicked on were broken so I wasn't sure how up to date the information was.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Here's the preliminary card layout:

Card%20layout.png

Real 'DOH!' moment when I realized how much fidelity I lost when resizing my guy. I'll have to do up another one with simpler shapes, or maybe try to do him in vector (...I'm thinking I won't manage to pull off a goopey look in vector, though).

Just by the way, this book by Andrew Lumis is terrific!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Consider having a close-up of his face as well as the full body shot. You could make your details more apparent while increasing visual impact.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Consider having a close-up of his face as well as the full body shot. You could make your details more apparent while increasing visual impact.

Oh, dude!

Boss idea.

Card%20layout-2.png

New preliminary for the layout.

My real reason for posting right now, though, is OH MY GOD I HATE DRAWINGS HANDS! Especially from the backside. Here:

HATEHANDS.png

...What you're supposed to be looking at is the backside of a hand that's gripping a firearm (the extended finger is supposedly resting against a trigger). Obviously, that's not what you actually see.

Could anyone give some suggestions or instruction on how to make nice looking hands?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    New 'toon:

Thread-card.png

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    My real reason for posting right now, though, is OH MY GOD I HATE DRAWINGS HANDS! Especially from the backside. Here:

HATEHANDS.png

...What you're supposed to be looking at is the backside of a hand that's gripping a firearm (the extended finger is supposedly resting against a trigger). Obviously, that's not what you actually see.

Could anyone give some suggestions or instruction on how to make nice looking hands?

You're not going to like the solution:

1. Look at yout non-dominant hand.
    2. Draw it with your other hand and a pencil.

Sorry, but the only way to draw better hands, well, the only way to draw better anything is to practice drawing them.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You're not going to like the solution:

1. Look at yout non-dominant hand.
    2. Draw it with your other hand and a pencil.

Sorry, but the only way to draw better hands, well, the only way to draw better anything is to practice drawing them.

No, I'm alright with that - I just wasn't having any luck using my hand as a reference, so I was wondering what other folks did.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    well, you can draw pictures of hands. That's a little easier.

Or you can pick up Hogarth's "Drawing dynamic hands" book and study that.

Metalbourne on