Options

Fundamentalist Militant [Vegetarianism] and [Veganism]

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    And it's still rude, and cruel, to serve it to a meat eater.

I'd say serving someone flavorless rubbery chicken ass is far more cruel. I don't know what it is you like about it so much but stop assuming everyone else has your horrible taste.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Which begs to question, if you throw a japanese dinner, why not just make two batches of miso for both groups, and why not prep some tuna for the group that eats meat? That's the polite way to do it. The asshole way to go about is to not do any of that and force everybody to eat according to your wants.

Because food made without meat is just as good? Meat isn't necessary to make a good meal. If you're offended that someone made a meal without meat then you're just as big an asshole as the vegetarians the OP is crying about.

Quid on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Saw VII, wherein a cruel vegetarian maniac kidnaps a cadre of seemingly-innocent meat eaters and forces them to eat tofu or die!

Is it on VII now? Or is it VI? Or XIV? Whatever. This thread has shown there's a market for vege-gore films.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man, I don't even need tofu to make awesome vegetarian food. Grilling diced potatoes in tin foil with salt and pepper, scallions, and blue cheese.

The horror. When our friends come over they will be terribly disappointed I'm sure.

Quid on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    I realized some time ago that it is impossible to argue with anyone who believes eating meat is objectively unethical.

It is impossible to argue with them on the same level that it is impossible to argue with a Catholic that homosexuality isn't a sin.

Their beliefs are founded on faith in metaphysical realities not supported by logic or objective facts.

I think you need to show your work.

MrMister on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've had the fake nuggets and fake sausages, it still does not taste like the real thing and is foul.

There's a wide range of quality in meat-substitutes. For instance, smartdogs are pretty terrible, but tofurkey sausages are pretty good, and then there are things like black bean burgers which replace meat without really being a meat imitation at all.

It sounds like you have some sort of crazy psychological hangup if you think that serving vegetarian food is cruel. At best, it's unappetizing--although I would argue at length that, as you mention, there is appetizing vegetarian food: see Indian cuisine--but even if it's unappetizing, that's hardly the coming of the apocalypse. I've had plenty of unappetizing food served to me that had nothing to do with meat preference or lack thereof--poorly dressed salads, bland, limp pasta, burned stews, soups that tasted like dishwater, and so on. But I wouldn't exactly call that cruelty.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Quid wrote: »

I'd say serving someone flavorless rubbery chicken ass is far more cruel. I don't know what it is you like about it so much but stop assuming everyone else has your horrible taste.
    When you go to someone else's house, you don't get to demand they meet your diet needs. If a vegetarian wants to make a meat-less meal for his guests, that is in no way rude.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Elitistb wrote: »
    As to "sneaking" food in, "mushroom burger" is a deliberate lie. It should be "mushroom sandwich". Similarly "turkey bacon", "tofurkey", or any other term like that is total bullshit.

So is "vegetarian chili". There is no vegetarian chili, there's bean, pepper and tomato stew.

Unless one is talking specifically about eating chili peppers.

Doesn't "chili" in the name of the dish refer to the pepper involved?

I mean right now you are just splitting hairs and being combative over the name of a food dish for no reason.

Semantic nitpickery, I suppose. Chili, as in the stew and not the pepper itself, is an abbreviation of chili con carne. I wouldn't go to the effort of baking a cayenne pie over it, but I can spare a couple of sentences' worth of corrective outrage online. Chili needs meet. Sushi needs rice.

None of this means that "bean, pepper, and tomato stew" or "tuna sashimi" aren't tasty, of course.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Because food made without meat is just as good? Meat isn't necessary to make a good meal. If you're offended that someone made a meal without meat then you're just as big an asshole as the vegetarians the OP is crying about.
    Well, while meatless dishes can certainly be equal in some cases to their carnivore-friendly counterparts, leaving an entire category of ingredients out is, from a purely culinary standpoint, an arbitrary, unnecessary, omission which can only harm the flavor of your food. Not that it DOES harm the flavor in every case, it simply artificially limits your options. For a vast majority of people this is irrelevant: As a vegetarian I never even noticed the constraints I had placed myself under until I became semi-serious about cooking, but at some point it does matter.

Of course, a competent cook can usually wow just about anyone with a vegetarian dish at least once. I run into problems after about a week. For some reason, pasta, potatoes, and eggplant seem to get old to meat-eaters quickly, wheras a hamburger never does. Don't as me why this is, but to my experience it just IS.

Pel on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

To be fair, if the level of someone's cooking is such that all they can produce with meat is flavorless, rubbery, ass chicken, then it's more than likely all they can produce with veggies is flavorless, rubbery, ass broccoli as well.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Semantic nitpickery, I suppose. Chili, as in the stew and not the pepper itself, is an abbreviation of chili con carne. I wouldn't go to the effort of baking a cayenne pie over it, but I can spare a couple of sentences' worth of corrective outrage online. Chili needs meet. Sushi needs rice.

None of this means that "bean, pepper, and tomato stew" or "tuna sashimi" aren't tasty, of course.
    If it's a simple abbreviation for "Chili con Carne" then, what do you abbreviate "Chili con Lentil" to?

You're right, it's just semantic nitpicking, and the commonly accepted usage of the term "Chili" includes meat, but that doesn't mean that another sort of soup cannot accurately call itself "Chili".

To my experience, most vegetarian Chilis are an abomination, but really, a beef based chili is usually so heavily spiced that the beef is just filler anyways, so there is a lot of room for interpretation there.

Pel on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

When you go to someone else's house, you don't get to demand they meet your diet needs. If a vegetarian wants to make a meat-less meal for his guests, that is in no way rude.

I don't know. I think a good host would generally consider his guests, and guests likewise the host.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Pel wrote: »
    Well, while meatless dishes can certainly be equal in some cases to their carnivore-friendly counterparts, leaving an entire category of ingredients out is, from a purely culinary standpoint, an arbitrary, unnecessary, omission which can only harm the flavor of your food. Not that it DOES harm the flavor in every case, it simply artificially limits your options. For a vast majority of people this is irrelevant: As a vegetarian I never even noticed the constraints I had placed myself under until I became semi-serious about cooking, but at some point it does matter.

There are enough flavors and ingredients in the world that I don't think it's a serious loss. After all, pretty much every chef is omitting huge classes of ingredients from other ethnic cuisines from their repertoire.

MrMister on
  • Options
    CliffCliff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I don't even need tofu to make awesome vegetarian food. Grilling diced potatoes in tin foil with salt and pepper, scallions, and blue cheese.

The horror. When our friends come over they will be terribly disappointed I'm sure.

You eat tin foil?

Cliff on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cliff wrote: »

You eat tin foil?

The guy is an animal. I saw him eat a tire once.

Speaker on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

If it's a simple abbreviation for "Chili con Carne" then, what do you abbreviate "Chili con Lentil" to?

You're right, it's just semantic nitpicking, and the commonly accepted usage of the term "Chili" includes meat, but that doesn't mean that another sort of soup cannot accurately call itself "Chili".

To my experience, most vegetarian Chilis are an abomination, but really, a beef based chili is usually so heavily spiced that the beef is just filler anyways, so there is a lot of room for interpretation there.

Damn, I'd rather argue that marshmallows require marsh mallow. All of this starts to reach the foul depths of bad observational comedy.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cliff wrote: »

You eat tin foil?

There is a reason he's called Quid, the Merry Mountain Goat.

Hachface on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    I realized some time ago that it is impossible to argue with anyone who believes eating meat is objectively unethical.

It is impossible to argue with them on the same level that it is impossible to argue with a Catholic that homosexuality isn't a sin.

Their beliefs are founded on faith in metaphysical realities not supported by logic or objective facts.

I think you need to show your work.

And I think you need a more substantial post if you're going to make some kind of disagreement with me on this here.

I made a fairly clear and substantial post. If you want to argue with me about it, that's fine, but post a counter-argument, not some snide downtalking like you're grading me.

Pony on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    but tofurkey sausages are pretty good,

No they are not. compared to the real thing they are horrible. I dated a vegetarian and had to deal with this. I have firmly learned that substitute meat sucks.

By this logic when a vegetarian comes to my house they must eat meat. This either works both ways or not at all. However if you invite someone over to your house you should probably try to make a meal they will like. Many times vegetarians treat it as some sort of chance to convert the non believers. It's rather akin to going over to a born again christian's house and getting bombarded with their life style, at times worse.

There is no meat substitute here so it's not a problem. Likewise salsa and chips contains no meat, and is yummy. When you start replacing meat is when it gets disgusting.

I'm not a fan of chicken nuggets in general, I wouldn't go out of my way to eat them. But having been put through the replacement I can say the fake ones are worse. Also, any of that morning star junk is horrible.
    Merry Mountain Goat

I doubt even a mountain goat would eat that meat substitute ;P

nstf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Since the thread is inspired by rudeness, and filled more or less with rudeness, maybe we should rededicate ourselves to the maxim "be excellent to eachother."
    The_Two_Guys-341x246.jpg

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And I think you need a more substantial post if you're going to make some kind of disagreement with me on this here.

But there isn't really anything to disagree with. First you said that vegetarianism is illogical and based on a faulty metaphysics, and then you said that it is stupid to believe that there is some word-spirit whose essence inhabits all animals and makes us equal. But the thing is that the second part doesn't entail the first.

In other words, yes, believing in Gaia is irrational. Good thing vegetarians don't have to believe in Gaia!

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also, any of that morning star junk is horrible.

Oh man. You are so right. I don't know how they stay in business.

I'm enamored of the "gimme lean" brand sausage right now though. That stuff is good.

Speaker on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Speaker wrote: »
    Modern Man wrote: »

I don't know. I think a good host would generally consider his guests, and guests likewise the host.

Sure, but I don't think you can claim it's an INJUSTICE that you can't have meat.

Julius on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Come to charleston, I will make you some vegetarian chili (con frijoles) that will knock your socks off.

bad picture but oh well
    tumblr_l2qm6herzg1qaninq

Arch on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

But there isn't really anything to disagree with. First you said that vegetarianism is illogical and based on a faulty metaphysics, and then you said that it is stupid to believe that there is some word-spirit whose essence inhabits all animals and makes us equal. But the thing is that the second part doesn't entail the first.

In other words, yes, believing in Gaia is irrational. Good thing vegetarians don't have to believe in Gaia!

Except that wasn't what I said, but that was a jolly good attempt to argue with arguments I'm not making.

I even bolded the points you completely fabricated, in case you were wondering.

Try again please.

Pony on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Morning star? The devil makes vegetarian food?

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

and people wonder why i eat it

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Except that wasn't what I said, but that was a jolly good attempt to argue with arguments I'm not making.

I even bolded the points you completely fabricated, in case you were wondering.

Try again please.

Come on man. You made a statement, refused to elaborate because the request to elaborate was catty, now your complaining that he assumed something inaccurate.

Why don't you just elaborate instead of making him guess or ignore him if you think he is too rude to talk with.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/

Not fit to be eaten by humans, dogs, or goats.
    Oh man. You are so right. I don't know how they stay in business.

I think you are supposed to feed it to people as a practical joke.

nstf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Speaker wrote: »

Why don't you just elaborate instead of making him guess or ignore him if you think he is too rude to talk with.

That would be insufficiently pedantic. I am curious why all vegetarians need to believe in Gaia, and why I haven't been given an elemental power ring yet.

Is Captain Planet a vegetarian? Does he suffer from Vegan Rage? If he wasn't a vegetarian, would that make him a hypocrite? Do you need to exist in order to be a hypocrite?

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

wow, opinionated much?

Especially considering I ate and enjoyed their maple "sausages" on saturday morning, pan fried, topped with a fried egg and cheese on an english muffin?

Arch on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    If it has been posted I'm sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTsWjbjQ8E

Edit: I want to read the whole thread but I just don't have time. As for eating meat from non-cruel sources I've started trying to do this and its fucking hard for a few reasons.
    1) its 2+ times as expensive so this type of eating is really a luxury of the rich unless you really want to work your budget around it and give up other things.
    2) Labels fucking suck because things like "Free Range" don't actually mean what you think they mean.
    3) Even at places like Whole Foods you can't really tell where their meat comes from unless you check the farm on the package(if that is even on the label) and then try and do a ton of internet research. Which means its hard to find such things without going to a local farm and even then most farms do things like CSAs where you get fruits, veggies, eggs, and milk but it is harder to find ones where you can get meat.
    4) Most people don't have the time or energy to figure out 2 and 3.

At this point I wish there were more guys like this and an easier way to find out where they sell their meat:
    Joel Salatin (watch Food Inc or some of the various other things he has been in Omnivore's Dilema / read the books he has written)
    salatin.jpg

that is excellent
    Actually, it's pretty dumb, as it draws a moral equivalency between vegetarianism and meat-eating, whereas the entire point of being a vegetarian is that you don't think they're morally equivalent.

It. Is. A. Fucking. Joke.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Arch, you are clearly not human, dog, or goat. Perhaps you are some sort of hyperintelligent fungus.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Arch, you are clearly not human, dog, or goat. Perhaps you are some sort of hyperintelligent fungus.

that would make me so happy you have no idea

Arch on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I think there's a Troma movie about that.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I thought you were asparagus.

Regardless, you're not to be trusted unless sauteed in butter.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I thought you were asparagus.

Regardless, you're not to be trusted unless sauteed in butter.

goddamit now i am all identity-confused

Arch on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Come to charleston, I will make you some vegetarian chili (con frijoles) that will knock your socks off.

bad picture but oh well
    tumblr_l2qm6herzg1qaninq

I make both vegetarian and non-vegetarian chili and honestly I think my vegetarian chili is actually better. The ground beef really is just spiced filler.

Arch your veggie chili looks sub par. You can convince me otherwise by mailing me some. :)

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

bad picture but oh well
    tumblr_l2qm6herzg1qaninq

I make both vegetarian and non-vegetarian chili and honestly I think my vegetarian chili is actually better. The ground beef really is just spiced filler.

Arch your veggie chili looks sub par. You can convince me otherwise by mailing me some. :)

I...I can try.

That was really my worst batch; it was far too watery due to me making it in the morning in the crock pot and being like hurgbabbaalala i am half asleeep chopping and measuring blearrrrr

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

wow, opinionated much?

Especially considering I ate and enjoyed their maple "sausages" on saturday morning, pan fried, topped with a fried egg and cheese on an english muffin?

They don't taste like what they are trying to replace and their texture is horrible. It has nothing in common with an actual breakfast sausage other then appearance and name.

My ex GF used to eat their products, and I haven't had a single one that wasn't nasty.

Morning Star Farms is like the Rick Roll of food.

nstf on