nothing good comes of it

Pony on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    mediocre sushi is like mediocre steak

should be a felony, but isn't

Mediocre sushi is particularly bad in that it usually also stinks.

But I guess maybe that's a merit as you're more likely to skip it. Mediocre steak can still smell very steak-y, like a stealth steak tricking your nasal passages into thinking it is delicious before ambushing you with mediocrity.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

But I guess maybe that's a merit as you're more likely to skip it. Mediocre steak can still smell very steak-y, like a stealth steak tricking your nasal passages into thinking it is delicious before ambushing you with mediocrity.

yes, indeed

truly this is a sin against your fellow man

Pony on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I dunno, mediocre steak is still edible. Like, the margin for error on sushi seems pretty rugged.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited May 2010

yes, indeed

Unless you're some kind of Steakihilist who argues there is no objective merit in tasty food. But that's basically heresy + communism (a.k.a. hairy communism).

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    you know when i said

i've never eaten a vegetarian dish containing faux-meat that i actually enjoyed

that was something of a gauntlet being thrown down to be proven wrong

it's something i actually want to have my mind changed about

Pony on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you know when i said

well uh

you live far away from me or i would fix that

Arch on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    What is important is that we all realize that this does not change the fact that the OP is full of fail.

Agreed.

I am an omnivore who lives with two vegetarians (soon to be 3) and has more than a few vegan/vegetarian friends. Never once have any of them displayed the utter aggressiveness displayed by the story or general sentiments of the OP. That kind of violent fundamentalism is excessively rare. I find it far more common that I see people acting overly defensive/aggressive toward them upon discovering their diet.

On page 2 someone posted an exchange along the lines of

Dude: "Hey, want a hamburger?"

Vegertarian: "Oh, no thanks, I don't eat meat."

Dude: "What the fuck is wrong with eating meat! Don't judge me bro!"

There are plenty of logical reasons to feel that, particularly in the US, people should at the very least reduce their meat consumption until we actively pursue proper farming regulations and create environments where local farming can sustain our meat intake without resulting to problematic/unethical methods. In particular, mass farming coupled with a strong lack of regulation has lead to unacceptable conditions for animals bred and raised specifically for meat consumption. Michael Pollan's work, among others, does a tremendous job of bringing this to light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enwU5jIXSlU

Honestly, there is an awful lot of fucked up stuff that happens in US agriculture, and a large portion of it has directly to do with meat (also corn, which in turn affects most things).

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited May 2010

yes, indeed

Unless you're some kind of Steakihilist who argues there is no objective merit in tasty food. But that's basically heresy + communism (a.k.a. hairy communism).

it makes me giggle sometimes when my viewpoints get compared to nihilism

i giggle, then i sorta frown a little

then go "western philosophers..."

then i go eat a hot dog and watch ultimate fighter

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    you know when i said

Most faux-meat is best used as a supporting ingredient. It tends to be very absorbent and kind of dry, making it ideal for stews, chilis, and particularly saucy stir-frys. Served on its own, like you might do with a high-quality steak, faux-meat is usually pretty terrible (it is essentially complicated spiced bean patty).

Your best bet is probably to look for a decent vegan thai / chinese restaurant or vegan hot-dog stand. Both offer meals where the supporting ingredients can be just as important as the meat in a dish. I can't think of any meat substitute I would serve on its own like one might serve a chicken breast or steak, although some of the better roast turkey substitutes work pretty well if they are cooked properly, spiced properly, and served with (vegan) gravy.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    When I'm saying you're a Nihilist, I'm mocking you and the general attempt (not just by you, but in general) to reduce any philosophy to its most basic and barest components, robbed of context, in order to form it into something it is not.

I don't actually think you're a nihilist, but your reduction of vegetarian ethics to two central points can similarly be used to dishonestly oversimplify your own system of ethics.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Fuck all that sushi crap. COOK MY FOOD.

pussy

I concur. Sushi is fucking fantastic. I hate pretty much most cooked fish but I will eat raw sushi grade fishies.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So uh

I am working through this book at home

41PETgJGn6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and it lists what seafood is harvested responsibly, and which isn't, in addition to citing which seafood is high-risk for heavy metal contamination.

And uh, part of me is wondering if this isn't just rationalizing away the problem to make me feel less guilty and ecologically damaging about eating sushi, and seafood in general.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    When I'm saying you're a Nihilist, I'm mocking you and the general attempt (not just by you, but in general) to reduce any philosophy to its most basic and barest components, robbed of context, in order to form it into something it is not.

I don't actually think you're a nihilist, but your reduction of vegetarian ethics to two central points can similarly be used to dishonestly oversimplify your own system of ethics.

which you did, and was fair game because i opened that door.

emptying things of any sort of intrinsic or objective meaning is sorta central to my religious beliefs, however, so it ends up poking its head up when i get into things like ethical debates. however, what separates me from a nihilist is nihilists sorta just through up their hands at that point and yell "everything is meaningless" whereas i take the step of establishing constructed meaning and that makes it more of a middle path between eternalism and nihilism

nonetheless the reductionism of just calling it nihilism crops up so often i sort of laughingly shrug then frown at it and move on

Pony on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    you know when i said

Don't bother. I've had people try and whip one up for years to convince me, and it's just never the same or as good. It's a recipe for disaster. I've found that the only vegetarians I know that can actually cook, avoid meat replacements all together and will admit it doesn't work.

Funny thing though, I compromised with a vegetarian once. Meat free dinner, manicotti as the main dish. Only to have all the cheese removed and replaced with a tofu connection, I wasn't told, and I figured it out first bite and couldn't eat anymore, tasted off.
    Did you ever dissect frogs? The hearts beat for hours after they're dead. It's... pretty cool, actually.

Funny you mention that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOUnjB6SPxE

nstf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    nstf that entire post is full of terrible, from many different angles

Arch on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've had vegetarian ground 'beef' before and enjoyed it. Granted, I've only ever had it in tacos where the seasoning and sauce and everything else made up most of the flavour of the dish.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sushi doesn't require fish, anyways.
    nstf wrote: »
    Isn't kobe beef fairly rare as far as meat goes? Or is that just how it is for America?

Kinda, but not like here. More to the point since Japan doesn't have the land to cattle farm like the US, they make more of an effort into the meat they can produce. So the quality is better and IIRC they don't really do mass farming at all.

It's virtually impossible to get Kobe beef outside Japan. You'd literally have to have it flown in between butchering and cooking. Plus there are no virtually no restrictions in the US on what can be called Kobe beef - it doesn't even have to come from wagyu cattle. A lot of people are getting ripped off in restaraunts thinking they're getting Kobe, or even "Kobe-style" beef.
    I think the environmental argument works. Honestly I don't really care how my food dies. Shoot it, behead it, whatever, not my issue. I also really don't care that much how it lives out it's life.... it's a cow. However I do care that mass scale meat production creates all sorts of problems that can simply be avoided by free range farming. For this reason I'm willing to support small farms and I don't support industrial farms.

The problem is that industrial plant farming isn't much more environmentally friendly than industrial meat raising. You end up with rivers poisoned by pesticides, poison-resistant super-insects, destroyed topsoil, loss of biodiversity, abused migrant workers, etc. That's why PETA and friends always portray it as independent, farmer's market, mom and pop store veggies vs industrial, factory-farmed, mustache-twirling CEO meat, and never as industrial crops vs industrial meat or independent meat vs independent crops.

Arch wrote: »
    Vegans who are anti-honey mystify me.

I wonder if they only adhere to the stance out of a misguided attempt to make their "NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS" viewpoint absolute and without exception for the sake of having a firm belief system.

technically

bees die during collection: some are actually crushed removing the combs from the hive

in addition the smoking process can asphyxiate some of them as well

so

Animals die during corn harvesting too.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Another fun feux meat fact: Until very recently the vast majority of all meat replacement products were filled with tons and tons of chemical additives and stabilizers and colorings. Disgusting.

Mushroom sandwiches are great. Tofu is great, but tofurky? Tofu scrambled eggs? Veggie chicken sandwiches? Yerch.

Vegan thanksgiving can be kinda fun though. Just make all the sides and sub every meat product out. Stuffing isn't quite the same, nor are the mash potatoes with no dairy but the rest is pretty good. Kinda hard to make a good gravy but there are a couple of wine/veggie stock combinations that work pretty well.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    And uh, part of me is wondering if this isn't just rationalizing away the problem to make me feel less guilty and ecologically damaging about eating sushi, and seafood in general.

After a while, you have to accept that you have biases and you'll never be able to be completely objective about yourself. You just have to try your best and do what you honestly think is right.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Vegans who are anti-honey mystify me.

I wonder if they only adhere to the stance out of a misguided attempt to make their "NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS" viewpoint absolute and without exception for the sake of having a firm belief system.

technically

bees die during collection: some are actually crushed removing the combs from the hive

in addition the smoking process can asphyxiate some of them as well

so

Animals die during corn harvesting too.

oh yes thank you for this perfectly useless fact when i already addressed this. if you missed it-

eating animals grown as foodstock not only requires the loss of life of THAT animal, but also since most factory farmed animals are fed from harvested grain (like cornmeal or hay) that ALSO involves the loss of life and has its OWN separate environmental impact, I consider it less bad, relatively, to avoid the animal meat.

But again, as I have said SEVERAL TIMES, small scale responsible farms completely alleviate this problem.

so yes please, continue to make points that have no bearing on the discussion and avoid most of what we have already gone over

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Another fun feux meat fact: Until very recently the vast majority of all meat replacement products were filled with tons and tons of chemical additives and stabilizers and colorings. Disgusting.

Mushroom sandwiches are great. Tofu is great, but tofurky? Tofu scrambled eggs? Veggie chicken sandwiches? Yerch.

Vegan thanksgiving can be kinda fun though. Just make all the sides and sub every meat product out. Stuffing isn't quite the same, nor are the mash potatoes with no dairy but the rest is pretty good. Kinda hard to make a good gravy but there are a couple of wine/veggie stock combinations that work pretty well.

I actually did vegan thanksgiving two years ago and it was fucking awesome

gotta find some pictures

Arch on
  • Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you know when i said

You'd probably have to be a bit more specific about what you mean by "faux meat". I've said before that a veggie-burger can be made good, but doing so basically involves essentially remaking the burger from scratch: most other "good" versions of commercial meat substitutes suffer similarly. Once you're done making it "good", it's a completely different product.

Homemade meat substitutes, on the other hand, can be fantastic. A simple patty made from a zucchini or lentil base can outshine a beef patty in just about every way. Lentils treated properly can become delicious chili. In all these cases, a non-meat product is substituted for a meat product, to a delicious end. If you don't consider this faux-meat, then that's understandable, but your standard is unattainable: clearly you're just referring to commerically available substitutes, which, as can be expected, are mostly dreck, and, worse, expensive dreck at that.

Pel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

which you did, and was fair game because i opened that door.

I think you misunderstood--

I directly quoted you and merely changed the words around to insinuate you were a Nihilist. Same language, same format, same two-point reduction. That was supposed to be mockery, my apology if the fantastic nature of the internet lead you to believe I was actually making that argument in earnest.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Re- vegan thanksgiving

Check this link out (it goes to my tumblr) and is all the pictures on the internet right now from vegan thanksgiving

pictures are kinda bad and small but it is the best i got

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Re- vegan thanksgiving

Check this link out (it goes to my tumblr) and is all the pictures on the internet right now from vegan thanksgiving

Vegan Thanksgiving is difficult.

Vegan cooking is difficult, because meat is a very easy thing to cook. Animal fats tend to be very flavorful and its pretty easy to take a sort of base dish (rice, pasta, soup, whatever), cook it with some meat and tada instant flavor.

Vegan cooking can accomplish the same, but it requires a very careful balance of spices and oils. Not saying one is "better" or "worse" but that if you're a mediocre cook you can go pretty far with meat whereas you'll probably be terrible with vegan cooking.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Re- vegan thanksgiving

Vegan cooking is difficult, because meat is a very easy thing to cook. Animal fats tend to be very flavorful and its pretty easy to take a sort of base dish (rice, pasta, soup, whatever), cook it with some meat and tada instant flavor.

Vegan cooking can accomplish the same, but it requires a very careful balance of spices and oils. Not saying one is "better" or "worse" but that if you're a mediocre cook you can go pretty far with meat whereas you'll probably be terrible with vegan cooking.

I've done a lot of vegan cooking (I'm in a once a week vegan dinner club).

When I cook with meat now it feels like cheating.

Heartlash on
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Re- vegan thanksgiving

The recipes:

Steamed asparagus in a lemon-white wine sauce
    Pumpkin Curry
    Pre-Made vegan loaf (grain meal stuffed with fruits and nuts...essentially stuffed seitan)
    Gravy made by cooking and thickening mushrooms in butter and red wine
    Sweet potato casserole with vegan marshmallows (no gelatin)
    Cranberry sauce
    Turmeric-tinted rice

hard apple cider aww yiss

Arch on
  • Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't bother. I've had people try and whip one up for years to convince me, and it's just never the same or as good. It's a recipe for disaster. I've found that the only vegetarians I know that can actually cook, avoid meat replacements all together and will admit it doesn't work.

I could actually only think of the 3 direct replacements I posted above. Most just don't work. However, not every commercially available meat substitute is completely awful, just most. What they are all awful at is being a direct substitute for a meat product. Build a meal around the food you have, not the food you wish you had. If you have fake chicken, make a meal of it, but don't make cordon bleu out of it and expect it to turn out.
    Funny thing though, I compromised with a vegetarian once. Meat free dinner, manicotti as the main dish. Only to have all the cheese removed and replaced with a tofu connection, I wasn't told, and I figured it out first bite and couldn't eat anymore, tasted off.

I find that beef severely detracts from most pasta dishes. Chicken and seafood tempt me a very small amount with their aroma. Pasta without dairy is hardly even worth being called a sustenance diet, and whoever thinks it's good has probably forgotten what sweet sweet gobs of fatty mozzarella tastes like.

Pel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Another thing, vegan desserts tend to be awesome. You wouldn't think so given the lack of dairy, but the things you can do with chocolate...

Heartlash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Steamed asparagus

Oh so you think the asparagus has a good enough texture and flavor to stand on its own in a full co--
    Arch wrote:
    in a lemon-white wine sauce

I KNEW IT.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    potatoninja asparagus is amazing and you will just have to deal*

with really smelly pee

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Another thing, vegan desserts tend to be awesome. You wouldn't think so given the lack of dairy, but the things you can do with chocolate...

Bartending pro-tip: Soymilk and soycream are superior to milk and cream for mixed drinks.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

*With you coating everything in butter? I suppose.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Man, I don't even need tofu to make awesome vegetarian food. Grilling diced potatoes in tin foil with salt and pepper, scallions, and blue cheese.

The horror. When our friends come over they will be terribly disappointed I'm sure.

Damnit Quid, why do you have to live in Hawaii and not know me in real life? :(
    I want some of that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

Pretty much my stance. And each encounter with those things only solidifies my opinion. I go plenty of days without meat though.

Also no eggs and milk, which really puts a damper on things.
    Homemade meat substitutes, on the other hand, can be fantastic. A simple patty made from a zucchini or lentil base can outshine a beef patty in just about every way. Lentils treated properly can become delicious chili. In all these cases, a non-meat product is substituted for a meat product, to a delicious end. If you don't consider this faux-meat, then that's understandable, but your standard is unattainable: clearly you're just referring to commerically available substitutes, which, as can be expected, are mostly dreck, and, worse, expensive dreck at that.

That's fine though. Unless you are going to claim that your zucchini and lentil patty tastes like a hamburger. Or that your lentil chili tastes like ground beef. At which point I call BS, it does not.

I think a good example is parmesan. I like chicken parmesan, but I prefer eggplant parmesan. Eggplant parmesan is just fine. Now if you whip up some sort of crazy chicken substitute and claim it tastes like chicken, bread it, and then call it chicken parmesan that's just wrong.

And it doesn't have to be store bought for this sort of crime against taste buds to happen. I've seen people whip this stuff up at home, with equally bad results.

nstf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Bartending pro-tip: Soymilk and soycream are superior to milk and cream for mixed drinks.

One of my vegan friends always makes White Russians that taste better to me than any other I'd ever had. It all makes sense now.

Heartlash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

*With you coating everything in butter? I suppose.

the asparagus in question were cooked in margarine, not butter

vegan remember?

although i do tend to use butter and margarine interchangeably

i just dont care taste-wise

unless its something that CANT be made without butter, like alfredo sauce

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

One of my vegan friends always makes White Russians that taste better to me than any other I'd ever had. It all makes sense now.

Yeah any Bartender that keeps soymilk on hand is either a super hippie or really knows their shit, maybe both.

Stuff is so good for mixed drinks.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Yeah any Bartender that keeps soymilk on hand is either a super hippie or really knows their shit, maybe both.

Stuff is so good for mixed drinks.

I..is it?

I always just...well okay I won't lie. I either drink my liquor straight, or I just drink beer

Arch on