1121314151618»

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Sneak attack to convert people?

Uh what?

When they swap out a meat dish for that nasty tofurky crap, don't tell anybody, and then pronounce "see you couldn't even tell, you can be a vegetarian just like me" and I've had that happen a couple times before.

Sorry, it doesn't taste the same, and I'm not going convert.
    vegetarians are as bad as any horrible, close minded religion

They share many of the same qualities yes.

So that's happened to you and therefore that's how all vegetarians are and that's why fake meat type products are produced?

Also can you point me to the local vegetarian meeting place so I can join this cult and see what it's all about?

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Also can you point me to the local vegetarian meeting place so I can join this cult and see what it's all about?

I think it's in the produce section of Whole Foods.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

Shit I've been there! I wonder if I've been secretly brainwashed!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

Shit I've been there! I wonder if I've been secretly brainwashed!

Are you always trying to get people to eat carrots and gardenburgers?

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Sneak attack to convert people?

Uh what?

When they swap out a meat dish for that nasty tofurky crap, don't tell anybody, and then pronounce "see you couldn't even tell, you can be a vegetarian just like me" and I've had that happen a couple times before.

Sorry, it doesn't taste the same, and I'm not going convert.

So that's happened to you and therefore that's how all vegetarians are and that's why fake meat type products are produced?

You are aware I can only draw conclusions based on personal experenice right?

So I can safely say that in my personal experience, most vegetarians are holier then though types trying to convert people over to their views. Most are completely jackasses about it and will take any chance to shoe horn disgusting meat substitutes into your food and talk about their superior position.

Thus, I don't want to deal with them. And I won't be converted. I've met some exceptions to this, and I don't hold what others have done against them. But this thread is about militant vegetarians, and my personal experience has lead to believe that militancy is the norm with them, not the exception.

nstf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "Most" of the vegetarians in the world you will never ever meet. Do you think it's appropriate to generalize to an entire group of people based on your own anecdotal experience? And then take a further step and call it a cult with basically no evidence of that?

So It Goes on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Most" of the vegetarians in the world you will never ever meet. Do you think it's appropriate to generalize to an entire group of people based on your own anecdotal experience? And then take a further step and call it a cult with basically no evidence of that?

Perhaps his position as Earth's ambassador to The Planet Of The Assholes has tainted his outlook on how vegetarians normally interact with omnivores.
    Heh...taint.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

So you are saying that I shouldn't base future expectations of prior experience? That doesn't make any sense.

I compared them to evangelicals because that's the closest group I can find in terms of behavior and my experiences with them. Yet even all evangelicals, and even all culists, are not the same. But I can safely say that if I run into a person that self identifies as say a tea bagger, evangelical, ect that I'm going to pass judgement based off my experiences with those groups. And when I go out on a date if I girl says "I'm vegan" I'm going to have some sort of response based off my prior experiences with them. Just as if she says "I'm a born again christian" well then I'm going to remember my prior encounters with that group.

This is simply the logical thing to do.

nstf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So if she tells you she's vegan you assume she's going to swap your meat for fake meat and try to convert you? I'm assuming the logical step you take is to end the date right there?

So It Goes on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I compared them to evangelicals because that's the closest group I can find in terms of behavior and my experiences with them. Yet even all evangelicals, and even all culists, are not the same. But I can safely say that if I run into a person that self identifies as say a tea bagger, evangelical, ect that I'm going to pass judgement based off my experiences with those groups. And when I go out on a date if I girl says "I'm vegan" I'm going to have some sort of response based off my prior experiences with them.
    Don't you think the content of a group's ideology is more important than, you know, the fact that they are ideological?

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. "Atheists/vegans/Obama supporters are just as bad as evangelical Christians! Because, just like evangelical Christians, they feel strongly about something."

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So if she tells you she's vegan you assume she's going to swap your meat for fake meat and try to convert you? I'm assuming the logical step you take is to end the date right there?

Of course. Because my past dating experience with vegans is that eventually it turns into vegan meals, asking me to change, and the entire rant on why I should. Why delay the inevitable? And that has been 100% the case with every vegan, or even vegetarian, I have ever dated.

There are several "I'm xxxx" that will cause me to terminate the date right there. But the top three, and again for me based off my experience and in order are, vegetarian/vegan, evangelical, conservative.

Different people may take more time to do it, one girl took over a year before I got the "you know, you should really change because it's wrong and there are solutions that don't involve cow murder" lecture, but it still happened.

So as a rule, I don't date people from groups that tend to be pushy about their beliefs when they aren't mine. I wouldn't date a KKK member, because I don't believe the same thing.
    Don't you think the content of a group's ideology is more important than, you know, the fact that they are ideological?

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. "Atheists/vegans/Obama supporters are just as bad as evangelical Christians! Because, just like evangelical Christians, they feel strongly about something."

I agree. I'm an atheist and an Obama supporter so I wouldn't date a conservative, the value systems aren't the same. I've just found that in my experience, vegans and vegetarians tend to be some of the most shovy people about their value system on the face of the planet, far more so then any other group. So it's a wash to try and date them.

nstf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Haha, wow.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I'm one of the most adamant carnivores I know, I consider it a bad day if 2 of my meals don't contain meat, and to me the worst part about dating a vegetarian is that I wouldn't be able to go "Oh my god, this is the best steak I've ever cooked, you've got to try this"

Maybe the cult got to me.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

So do you!

It's fascinating really.

Quid on
  • Options
    rational vashrational vash Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    People who have strong beliefs tend to either A) Convert others or B) Force our beliefs on others who disagree.

Everyone does this to a large degree. It's how democracy works.

So i'm not really sure why people keep bringing up evangelicals.

rational vash on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    I am not a vegetarian but, judging from their posts, the anti-vegetarians in this thread seem hellbent on convincing me that they only valid argument against vegetarianism is an argument against the very idea of ethical principles. This is what "lol they are just like evangelicals" amounts to: the position that all moral beliefs are basically unfounded and idiosyncratic.

In my defense, I have nothing to do with that.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    People who have strong beliefs tend to either A) Convert others or B) Force our beliefs on others who disagree.

I want to know what is wrong with being evangelical. Are we going to start complaining about anybody who tries to change the world now because it involves evangelism to do so?

Couscous on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Or, for that matter, vegetarians.

There's a good number of them that post here yet there's shocking little proselytizing. In fact, in a thread entirely about vegetarianism I haven't seen any. Certainly none near as bad as people advocating how horrid vegetarians are.

Quid on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I make a point to not be very loud about being a veg, simply for the fact that there is always one of the super meat heads in the crowd. Always. And for some reason said meatheads take it very personally when a veg exists. It's like a silly goose and a moderator being in the same crowd. I also happen to hate PETA for going about advertising in the worst way possible.

By the way I just ate some Trader Joe's meatless chicken strips with some barbecu sauce on them and some damn good coleslaw and fuuuuuck it was tasty. i really think meat, especially American meat, is just protein filler for the spices. So why not exchange it for tofurkey? Two years ago I adopted this social experiment, and I now posit it as my social theory. Tofurkey is delicious when you haven't eaten turkey in two years, by the way. Also, the only meat I've eaten in this time besides the occasional fish and shrimp (as a last ditch, especially in the South) was a pulled pork sandwich on a dare. Tasted decent but I honestly don't miss it. So therefore I must assume that I am of stronger will or something.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

I want to know what is wrong with being evangelical. Are we going to start complaining about anybody who tries to change the world now because it involves evangelism to do so?

Well, yes. When have people stopped complaining about evangelism? You always have people happy with the status quo and people that aren't. The people that aren't are always going to be vocal and the people that are will bitch about the other people.

Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I make a point to not be very loud about being a veg, simply for the fact that there is always one of the super meat heads in the crowd. Always. And for some reason said meatheads take it very personally when a veg exists. It's like a Jew and a Nazi being in the same crowd. I also happen to hate PETA for going about advertising in the worst way possible.

By the way I just ate some Trader Joe's meatless chicken strips with some barbecu sauce on them and some damn good coleslaw and fuuuuuck it was tasty. i really think meat, especially American meat, is just protein filler for the spices. So why not exchange it for tofurkey? Two years ago I adopted this social experiment, and I now posit it as my social theory. Tofurkey is delicious when you haven't eaten turkey in two years, by the way. Also, the only meat I've eaten in this time besides the occasional fish and shrimp (as a last ditch, especially in the South) was a pulled pork sandwich on a dare. Tasted decent but I honestly don't miss it. So therefore I must assume that I am of stronger will or something.

The bolded is so remarkably offensive, I have no idea why you even wrote it unless you were trying to Godwin the thread.

Protein filler for spices? Are you Bizarro-nstf?

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lion wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Well, yes. When have people stopped complaining about evangelism? You always have people happy with the status quo and people that aren't. The people that aren't are always going to be vocal and the people that are will bitch about the other people.

Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I make a point to not be very loud about being a veg, simply for the fact that there is always one of the super meat heads in the crowd. Always. And for some reason said meatheads take it very personally when a veg exists. It's like a Ryu and a Ken being in the same crowd. I also happen to hate PETA for going about advertising in the worst way possible.

The bolded is so remarkably offensive, I have no idea why you even wrote it unless you were trying to Godwin the thread.

Protein filler for spices? Are you Bizarro-nstf?

Godwin's Impulse may have had something to do with it, yeah. But seriously, people get so fucking irrational about this topic on both sides that it's quite shocking. However, it seems like meat eaters quite often seem to be the prime aggressors in the average context. Hell, I used to make fun of vegetarian kids.

This whole argument was to, for a post, to play Bizarro ntsf, I guess, if you wish to put it that way.

Fuck it I'm done with this thread unless Pony comes back. He had fun things to discuss. the rest of you are silly geese.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hey, it's cool Mortal Sky.

Maybe I'll post like this until Pony comes back.

Just so you feel better. I can accommodate you and things you feel more familiar with.

Just like a good host would do no matter if the person they invited was a vegetarian or not.

Lion on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hey, it's cool Mortal Sky.

Maybe I'll post like this until Pony comes back.

Just so you feel better. I can accommodate you and things you feel more familiar with.

Just like a good host would do no matter if the person they invited was a vegetarian or not.

I have no desire to make this a flame war. If you want to have rational discussion, that's fine, and I'll do better than Godwinning. But if this is the most rational you can be then I feel any further discussion on your part will be with a moderator. I'm really not the best of moods at the moment and I don't feel like putting up with personal attacks. I don't eat meat, and I try not to be an ass about it. When people like you deliberately try to troll me for it, that's where I draw a line.

TL;DR: Get on with the thread and stop being a silly goose because I'm not in the mood for sarcasm.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    OK, that went the complete wrong way I thought it would. I wasn't trying to insult you or degrade you in anyway.

I was trying to mimic Pony's posting style with the line breaks. The being a good host and accommodating a guest was about earlier discussions in the thread.

In other words, I was trying to take some of the seriousness out of the discussion. I didn't mean to hurt you and I thought my comments would bring some humor to the conversation.

I am sorry, Mortal Sky.

Lion on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    considering i thought morning star was choke worthy

what are some of these not so awful brands

i'd like to try one

One of my faves is Quorn. They don't use soy or gluten in the meat subs; they're all made with a mushroom kind of protein so the texture is better and they also absorb flavors hella better. The only thing they don't make is like... a beef-sub patty. They do have the beef crumbles though.

The fake chicken breast cubes is what I made my enchiladas out of the other night. They get all sauteed and tossed with garlic and onions and cumin and red pepper and then you toss in some cream and veg broth and simmer them and it's delicious.

I don't really like any other more common brands (morning start, garden burger, boca) for their meat subs. They don't take flavor well and the consistency is sort of "meh". I do use the Morningstar burgers, though.

Anyway, I'm glad to know how I'm supposed to act now. I never realized it was my job to secretly convert people, feed them shitty food, and go on raging tangents. Hm... I better adjust my attitude. I tend to just... you know, mention it when relevant and tell people I don't cook meat if they're coming over. So either Quid cooks meat or I'll make something but I always ask if there's certain foods they don't like.

From now on they're getting nothing but heated up shitty meat subs.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ntsf, have you ever been kept up awake at night, drenched in cold sweat, at the thought that some of your acquaintances secretly were vegetarian and feeding you Quorn or Soy "meat" without ever telling you, even when you adamantly demand they tell you, because it just tasted off?

Maybe, someone fed you real ground beef in their chili, but told you it was tofu, so they could snicker as you spat it out.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Maybe, someone fed you real ground beef in their chili, but told you it was tofu, so they could snicker as you spat it out.

Hahaha oh man I would definitely do things like that if I was a vegetarian.

Which would probably make me not really the best vegetarian. I guess I could be a vegetarian for non-ethical reasons and still do stuff like that?

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    OK, that went the complete wrong way I thought it would. I wasn't trying to insult you or degrade you in anyway.

I was trying to mimic Pony's posting style with the line breaks. The being a good host and accommodating a guest was about earlier discussions in the thread.

In other words, I was trying to take some of the seriousness out of the discussion. I didn't mean to hurt you and I thought my comments would bring some humor to the conversation.

I am sorry, Mortal Sky.
    Oh, okay. I guess I owe you an apology as well. I was feeling pretty shitty yesterday in general and I really kinda blew up at you. After I was force logged off (this computer has a 9:00 curfew) and I had an "oh shit what have I done" moment, I was worried sick. And it's really more of ntsf who's ticking me off anyways. You just happened to ... well, maybe I should just step away from this thread for a while. got a little less stoic than I would have liked to.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't read all of this thread, but I haven't run into many militant vegetarians or vegans. My sister and mother are both vegetarian (really pescatarian but don't tell them that), my boyfriend is vegetarian. Most vegans I've met have had the "YOU DON'T EAT MEAT? YOU SUCK" mentality thrown at them, but when they hear about the time a waitress put ham in my boyfriend's salad after I specifically told her not to and I wanted to yell at her for her inconsideration, they love me.

I've tried countless meatless products and some are good and some are. Miso soup is excellent and I love sucking up that tofu into my mouth. Here in Philadelphia, I frequent Gianna's Grille, OMG. YOU PEOPLE. It just clicked for me. If you ever come by Philadelphia, go there. Their cakes are all vegan and I was in complete heaven eating their Oreo cake. I haven't tried their other stuff, but I'm sure it tastes just as good.

Their vegan cheesesteaks aren't bad either (called "Free birds") and I haven't tried their vegan pizza. But their oreo cake? Delicious. Vegan food can be pretty good. I think it has to be prepared by people who are vegan or who really know how to do vegan food for it to be outstanding. Like Bennigans, their vegan burger is disgusting because its all beans and shit. Gunther Toody's out in Denver, Colorado, their vegan burgers are awesome as well.

So that's three places, Yokosuka, Denver, and Philadelphia that has excellent vegan food eateries. You just gotta search a bit for those diamonds.

Mim on