As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]aclysm: still not here

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah that's true. I wonder if he's got enough brain power to put 2 + 2 and figure out he's just dumb and that's the reason.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't remember if it was from here or my guild's forums, but someone linked an article where a study showed that incompetent people don't realize they're bad. They even believe that when they do things they do them well. The study also showed that competent people often feel they under-perform when doing a task.

Just a quote,
    "The more incompetent someone is in a particular area, the less qualified that person is to assess anyone’s skill in that space, including their own. When one fails to recognize that he or she has performed poorly, the individual is left assuming that they have performed well. As a result, the incompetent will tend to grossly overestimate their skills and abilities."

edit: A link to site where I got this from.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    I can't remember if it was from here or my guild's forums, but someone linked an article where a study showed that incompetent people don't realize they're bad. They even believe that when they do things they do them well. The study also showed that competent people often feel they under-perform when doing a task.

Yeah, I was just about to say something like that. :P It's easily observable in all areas.

I think it has a simple answer: the more you learn with your intelligence, the more you realize you don't know yet. If you're, well, stupid, you just don't have the capacity to see above that horizon.

Echo on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Yeah, I was just about to say something like that. :P It's easily observable in all areas.

I think it has a simple answer: the more you learn with your intelligence, the more you realize you don't know yet. If you're, well, stupid, you just don't have the capacity to see above that horizon.

I certainly remember coming home from both of the E-5 advancement exams I took in the Navy feeling like I was a failure at life and then being really surprised by my scores later on.

People who finished early and left confidently did much worse.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just don't understand how people new to the game, or those that are remotely aware of patches and new releases don't bother to just Google their preferred class at some point in time.

A simple Google search for "arms warrior pvp" not even using WoW or world of warcraft in the search, and the FIRST thing listed (other than a video) are 2 wiki pages, one detailing how to PvP against classes and another one for spec, with more below that even go into gearing.

within literally 8 seconds, the information on how to spec for leveling, raiding and PvPing is available with no less than 7 different specs that have a description of what its meant for.

Sure this doesn't go into elitist jerks or other theory crafting mechanics/overloaded information, so they wouldn't be the 'best' but it gives you something other than.... dee de dee this talent looks cool.

This can be done for every class, I just don't get it.

mturalon on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One of my favorite things to do in WoW is to sneak up beside the healer right before Anub emerges.

POUND

SPLAT

LOLZ

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mturalon wrote: »
    I just don't understand how people new to the game, or those that are remotely aware of patches and new releases don't bother to just Google their preferred class at some point in time.

A simple Google search for "arms warrior pvp" not even using WoW or world of warcraft in the search, and the FIRST thing listed (other than a video) are 2 wiki pages, one detailing how to PvP against classes and another one for spec, with more below that even go into gearing.

within literally 8 seconds, the information on how to spec for leveling, raiding and PvPing is available with no less than 7 different specs that have a description of what its meant for.

Sure this doesn't go into elitist jerks or other theory crafting mechanics/overloaded information, so they wouldn't be the 'best' but it gives you something other than.... dee de dee this talent looks cool.

I used to have the same mentaility that you are stating but then it was brought to my attention that some people just don't care, or are not interested in following a guide. Sometimes it's someones kid playing on their parents account or someone who knows what to do but also enjoys messing people. Could be any number of reasons aside from just lack of understanding. It could also be that as well.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »

I used to have the same mentaility that you are stating but then it was brought to my attention that some people just don't care, or are not interested in following a guide. Sometimes it's someones kid playing on their parents account or someone who knows what to do but also enjoys messing people. Could be any number of reasons aside from just lack of understanding. It could also be that as well.

There are a remarkable amount of people who just don't realize this information is so readily available.
    Then, there are lazy people, who would rather be told what to do then find out for themselves.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Our perspective is going to be skewed since we all share more than a casual interest in the game. For a lot of people the idea of researching a video game is insane.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Then there's the stupid people who have been told, shown websites, seen it done by other people, and still don't do it.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Our perspective is going to be skewed since we all share more than a casual interest in the game. For a lot of people the idea of researching a video game is insane.

I mean, yeah, that's a smart idea for maximizing dps and stuff.

But, I mean, 90% of this stuff you can figure out by reading it.

"Why would I want resilience... oh hovering over it it says reduces crit chance by human players... I don't pvp too much so I don't really need that while leveling. Oh, why would I want a talent that reduces the chance I'll be stunned... I don't think I've ever seen that really happen, let me come back to that if I have free points." Most of them you can make logical guesses about what might be good for you.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    forty wrote: »

Might punt players to a common server for the duration of that BG?

Only alternative to that would be networking gameplay itself between two datacenters, which sounds like a really bad idea.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    there are plenty people that would rather just not be informed and not want to improve anything

being good makes you a nerd, you see

kaleedity on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

I certainly remember coming home from both of the E-5 advancement exams I took in the Navy feeling like I was a failure at life and then being really surprised by my scores later on.

Reminds me of when I applied for a job at Caterpillar a month ago. There was an employment test you had to take: basic math, some simple reading and problem-solving skills. It was 9th grade high school stuff at the worst, and it was hideously easy. I even took my time with it to make sure I wasn't missing something. I felt like I did really well at it. Turns out I failed. I felt like I was the dumbest person on the face of the planet and it depressed me for weeks.

Then I found out that, for that test, close to 90% of the people who took it passed it, but Caterpillar arbitrarily failed exactly half of the people who took it, accepting the other half.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »

I mean, yeah, that's a smart idea for maximizing dps and stuff.

But, I mean, 90% of this stuff you can figure out by reading it.

"Why would I want resilience... oh hovering over it it says reduces crit chance by human players... I don't pvp too much so I don't really need that while leveling. Oh, why would I want a talent that reduces the chance I'll be stunned... I don't think I've ever seen that really happen, let me come back to that if I have free points." Most of them you can make logical guesses about what might be good for you.

basic reading comprehension is extremely difficult for a significant subset of humanity.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

For 95% of the playerbase, WoW is just a game. It doesn't even occur to them that they need to optimize their character.

They just assume what ever choices they make are good ones, since it's a choice that can be made.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bloodshed wrote: »

There are a remarkable amount of people who just don't realize this information is so readily available.
    Then, there are lazy people, who would rather be told what to do then find out for themselves.

To be fair, WoW was releasted in Nov 2004 and I've waited until March 2005 to join. Meanwhile all this time I've waited for the game to stabalized, and did my research on all the classes to maximize my utility: read up on class mechanics, roles, and playstyle. I found rogue to be the most powerful class at the time (Unlimited damage potential, no universal cooldown, saw Ming's Stunlock chain combo, stealth to bypass and make questing so much easier, etc) and so I rolled a Gnome Rogue on Lightning's blade.

While a gnome rogue was everything I've envisioned, the game itself changed. No amount of research at the time will reveal that blizzard will nerf rogues for 3 patches straight, or the fact that rogues were overpopulated and will be hated (and mostly KOS, killed-on-sight), and adding a raid instance "molten Core" changed the dynamics of a rogue's gameplay. Basically because i'm a medicore rogue amoungst millions of other medicore rogues I wasn't able to get into raid and join end game content (at the time.) It was a good thing I've also rolled a druid, who will later became an amazing healer that provides innervate, battle rez, and an important part of the guild I was in for 2 years.

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »

For 95% of the playerbase, WoW is just a game. It doesn't even occur to them that they need to optimize their character.

They just assume what ever choices they make are good ones, since it's a choice that can be made.

Hey now, optimizing my character is part of the game!

;-)

End on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    End wrote: »

Might punt players to a common server for the duration of that BG?

Only alternative to that would be networking gameplay itself between two datacenters, which sounds like a really bad idea.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't one of the fixes for the "Additional Instances Cannot Be Launched" issue that they set up dedicated instance servers in their home office that they could bleed the overflow off to? It's possible that was also a test for setting up a cross-battlegroup system.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In order to decrease how much misanthropy I've felt like I've been adding, I should toss in that a common cause for such phenomena is not having much experience with english. At least, I sincerely hope that's the cause for some of the stuff I've seen.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Reminds me of when I applied for a job at Caterpillar a month ago. There was an employment test you had to take: basic math, some simple reading and problem-solving skills. It was 9th grade high school stuff at the worst, and it was hideously easy. I even took my time with it to make sure I wasn't missing something. I felt like I did really well at it. Turns out I failed. I felt like I was the dumbest person on the face of the planet and it depressed me for weeks.

Then I found out that, for that test, close to 90% of the people who took it passed it, but Caterpillar arbitrarily failed exactly half of the people who took it, accepting the other half.

This reminds me of the time I took the entrance exam for my college math classes to determine where I should be placed. Me. I took AP calculus in high school my senior year and was contemplating taking AP chem and physics as well.

I failed it because I couldn't remember really basic, but mindfuckingly weird concepts dealing with fractions and trig. But give me some fucking functions and I could do some numerical integration on them and derive my face off.

bowen on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think some people underestimate just how stupid people can really be. I mean, if you were to go down the street and stop and talk to 10 people, really try to get them to have a conversation with you, you'd find that probably 6 or 7 of them seem like complete morons to you, because they lack critical thinking skills at best, and are borderline mentally retarded at worst.

These same people are playing WoW, and firing it up does not magically make them smart. There are some people out there that fit into the plays casually and just doesn't care to learn anything more than frostbolt is fun group, but far more fit into the complete idiot who just doesn't understand simple concepts group.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Like on Leno the other day as I was channel surfing he was doing his little ask people on the street and he came across two British chicks and asked them how they felt about the US' school system compared to Britian's. Then he asked them which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of something else (forgot what he said).

That was pretty funny when they said the other thing, because feathers are light ya know!

bowen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »

This reminds me of the time I took the entrance exam for my college math classes to determine where I should be placed. Me. I took AP calculus in high school my senior year and was contemplating taking AP chem and physics as well.

I failed it because I couldn't remember really basic, but mindfuckingly weird concepts dealing with fractions and trig. But give me some fucking functions and I could do some numerical integration on them and derive my face off.

Haha. Yeah, we had something similar. When registering, we had to take some math tests, and I failed them prety hard. But I ended up avoided taking the remedial college math classes because I had passed the AP calculus test (which I didn't get results for until later).

End on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Those talents trees got a lot of shit in them. Like Genesis in Balance. Increases DoTs and Hots by 1-5%. Yeah, because talents that increase all damage by 1-5% are boring and deserve to be cut, but hey, talents that increase only some damage by 1-5% are super exciting and fun.

This is funny to me. GC said something the other day to the effect of how Cruelty was a lame talent and they might spruce it up for Warriors by making the added crit only apply to certain attacks. Like nerfing it to only work with a few attacks would somehow make it more exciting than just 5% crit to everything.

I had a feeling when they said they were going to remove all those talents that just add a passive bonus that they were shooting for too high a mark. I mean, if they really were to get rid of them all they'd have to get ultra creative to fill in all the voids. I'm sure whoever thought up Warbringer has a trophy in his office, but he just can't recreate that magic at will.

And no, genesis does not alter the playstyle or rotation of resto or balance druids. It just makes their HoTs and DoTs do 5% more. The talent might as well just say "5% more healing and damage done, but only for some of your stuff."
    If it makes it more likely/beneficial that you will cast that stuff instead of some other stuff, then yeah, it alters your playstyle. If it was a "everything does 5% more" type thing then it would not change it at all. think of hunger for Blood as an example there.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

this makes no sense to me.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    If it makes it more likely/beneficial that you will cast that stuff instead of some other stuff, then yeah, it alters your playstyle. If it was a "everything does 5% more" type thing then it would not change it at all. think of hunger for Blood as an example there.
    Totally this. If a talent has the chance of changing the spells you use in certain situations then it is an interesting talent.

815165 on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Lol, what a waste of company resources. What's the point?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Helps them weed out the 10% who do fail, and then the other 50% get dropped just to reduce the numbers.

bowen on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I would be ROYALLY pissed if I was told I failed a test that I passed with flying colors. Hire me or not, that's cool. Don't fucking lie to me and call it procedure.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Derrick wrote: »

I would be ROYALLY pissed if I was told I failed a test that I passed with flying colors. Hire me or not, that's cool. Don't fucking lie to me and call it procedure.

Yeah, it's a pretty dick move that they disguise it as a fail.

End on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    More like cowardly.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You can prove that you passed the test. It's math. 2+2=5 for extremely high values of 2 is just a joke.

I mean, if it were an essay test or something, fine, they could just be like, "That's not quite what we're looking for in that answer."

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It just means they had more people pass than they had positions available.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It just means they had more people pass than they had positions available.

I don't see why they would not just say this and instead lie and say he failed (assuming he is telling the story correctly).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of fail, I had to post this somewhere:
    beatthetank.jpg
    I'm Bifuteki, cat durid. Disgust was the tank. Lua is my beautiful sidekick healer.
    Mianimia was geared at about 3300gs. So kinda fresh 80, no biggie.
    Unskint though... wow. 4400 gear score, but it's a collision of gear from every spec, pve and pvp, thrown together (mostly SP gear of course) and tied together with a rotation that stopped at auto-attack. Honestly... I think I got trolled.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Because it's easier for them to tell you that you failed the test due to your incompetence and lack of skill instead of telling you they arbitrarily failed you. It's more of a passive-aggressive way of saying they didn't want you. It also places the blame squarely on your shoulders, not theirs. So they get off scott free, and you're stuck wondering why you fail so bad at basic mathematics.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Ok, I gotta ask: Why does everyone seem to think GC is a dick?

I've found him to be the best Blizzard poster we've ever had. He's informative and he explains shit and he smacks around the idiot trolls every now and then.
    Although the answer is that people seem to think he should be jumping through his own asshole to be pleasant to everyone all the time rather than focus on something useful.

forty on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GC is a dick, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, dicks fuck assholes, assholes who just want to shit on everything.

reVerse on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jackal wrote: »

I don't see a reason not to besides slighty higher latency for players who end up on far away battlegroups.
    I was under the impression that battlegroups are "limited" the way they are due to the datacenter setup -- that they can't have cross-server anything across different datacenters. Although maybe they aren't actually going cross-datacenter and they'll just be smashing together battlegroups that happen to be in the same datacenter? I'm just curious how this will work.

It's not really fair to, say, punt someone from a server where they have ~80ms latency to one where they have ~250ms.

forty on
This discussion has been closed.