As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]aclysm: still not here

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't remember if it was from here or my guild's forums, but someone linked an article where a study showed that incompetent people don't realize they're bad. They even believe that when they do things they do them well. The study also showed that competent people often feel they under-perform when doing a task.
    Yeah, I remember studies like this during one of the few psychology courses I took in college.

"The more incompetent someone is in a particular area, the less qualified that person is to assess anyone’s skill in that space, including their own. When one fails to recognize that he or she has performed poorly, the individual is left assuming that they have performed well. As a result, the incompetent will tend to grossly overestimate their skills and abilities."
    In other words, WoW players to a T.

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Mutilate wrote: »
    Our perspective is going to be skewed since we all share more than a casual interest in the game. For a lot of people the idea of researching a video game is insane.

For 95% of the playerbase, WoW is just a game. It doesn't even occur to them that they need to optimize their character.

They just assume what ever choices they make are good ones, since it's a choice that can be made.
    I'd be totally fine with this if they would just stay out of raids...

forty on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I picked up Alchemy as my crafting profession. Since I already have Herbalism maxed out, it only makes sense :o

I've powerleveled to 220 so far, hoping to hit at least 350 by tonight. It's either that, or I'll stop to finally level again, and hit 79. Decisions, decisions!

Kami on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    If it makes it more likely/beneficial that you will cast that stuff instead of some other stuff, then yeah, it alters your playstyle. If it was a "everything does 5% more" type thing then it would not change it at all. think of hunger for Blood as an example there.
    Totally this. If a talent has the chance of changing the spells you use in certain situations then it is an interesting talent.
    And specific to the complaint this was in reply to, Genesis is a talent that could theoretically be skipped by a resto druid focusing more on direct heals. Obviously that's not really an option now, but it could be a possibility in Cataclysm, assuming there's another tier 1 balance option given to resto.

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Speaking of fail, I had to post this somewhere:
    beatthetank.jpg
    I'm Bifuteki, cat durid. Disgust was the tank. Lua is my beautiful sidekick healer.
    Mianimia was geared at about 3300gs. So kinda fresh 80, no biggie.
    Unskint though... wow. 4400 gear score, but it's a collision of gear from every spec, pve and pvp, thrown together (mostly SP gear of course) and tied together with a rotation that stopped at auto-attack. Honestly... I think I got trolled.
    Ugh, I have a character on Black Dragonflight. It really does feel like some people are bad on purpose.

forty on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    forty wrote: »
    If it makes it more likely/beneficial that you will cast that stuff instead of some other stuff, then yeah, it alters your playstyle. If it was a "everything does 5% more" type thing then it would not change it at all. think of hunger for Blood as an example there.
    Totally this. If a talent has the chance of changing the spells you use in certain situations then it is an interesting talent.
    And specific to the complaint this was in reply to, Genesis is a talent that could theoretically be skipped by a resto druid focusing more on direct heals. Obviously that's not really an option now, but it could be a possibility in Cataclysm, assuming there's another tier 1 balance possibility.

My actual complaint about talents like Genesis that do 1% per talent point is that I don't feel that is a good return on my talent point investment. If it was 2% per talent point (2/4/6/8/10%) and/or wasn't a 5 pointer (2/4/6%) I'd feel it's worth a few points, but for whatever reason whenever I look at a talent and it's 1/2/3/4/5%, I just think that's shit and that I'm not really getting my points' worth by speccing into it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, so incompetent people think they aren't incompetent but good and competent people think they aren't competent enough. The latter is a good mindset to have but what do we do about the majority of people who are the former? Do we leave them to their fail? And by what standards should we measure what's fail and what isn't?

Some things are obvious fail, like really low dps output in high gear, but people often have different ideas on what they think is success and what they see as failure. Casual players would see winging a single boss in a pug ToC or ICC with few casualties as a success but a hardcore raider or PvPer would settle for nothing less then the highest gearscore and lots of dead bosses and high arena points and such. It's all about priorities and the degree to which people care, in the case of WoW and probably other games and MMOs.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jackal wrote: »

I don't see a reason not to besides slighty higher latency for players who end up on far away battlegroups.
    I was under the impression that battlegroups are "limited" the way they are due to the datacenter setup -- that they can't have cross-server anything across different datacenters. Although maybe they aren't and they'll just be smashing together battlegroups that happen to be in the same datacenter? I'm just curious how this will work.

It's not really fair to, say, punt someone from a server where they have ~80ms latency to one where they have ~250ms.

I just wish there was a list of where servers were located. All my characters are on a server somewhere in the midwest, but I live in Hawaii.

Hell, even at best I'm still 3 hours off of any US server since there aren't any here, and my latency pretty much always sucks.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    shosarshosar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    shosar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    And specific to the complaint this was in reply to, Genesis is a talent that could theoretically be skipped by a resto druid focusing more on direct heals. Obviously that's not really an option now, but it could be a possibility in Cataclysm, assuming there's another tier 1 balance possibility.

My actual complaint about talents like Genesis that do 1% per talent point is that I don't feel that is a good return on my talent point investment. If it was 2% per talent point (2/4/6/8/10%) and/or wasn't a 5 pointer (2/4/6%) I'd feel it's worth a few points, but for whatever reason whenever I look at a talent and it's 1/2/3/4/5%, I just think that's shit and that I'm not really getting my points' worth by speccing into it.
    Yeah, the fact that there is not even remote investment parity in talents irks me as well (you've got your <1% damage increase per point DPS talents, and then crazy ones that are like 5%+ per single point). Although I appreciate the monumental difficulty in trying to get talents to be closer in value without having to gimp the interesting, powerful talents while not leading to too many powerful talents beefing up a tree too much, while having some talents cost enough points to make talent progression in the tree work, all while being mindful of each tree being able to subspec into the earlier tiers of another tree and possibly becoming overpowered.

With that in mind, I'm a lot more understanding that there will be some relatively weak/bland talents, point-for-point, like Genesis or Improved Rupture.

But Furor is garbage and needs to be changed/fixed.

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Furor should've been baseline years ago.

reVerse on
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

I don't see a reason not to besides slighty higher latency for players who end up on far away battlegroups.
    I was under the impression that battlegroups are "limited" the way they are due to the datacenter setup -- that they can't have cross-server anything across different datacenters. Although maybe they aren't and they'll just be smashing together battlegroups that happen to be in the same datacenter? I'm just curious how this will work.

It's not really fair to, say, punt someone from a server where they have ~80ms latency to one where they have ~250ms.

I just wish there was a list of where servers were located. All my characters are on a server somewhere in the midwest, but I live in Hawaii.

Hell, even at best I'm still 3 hours off of any US server since there aren't any here, and my latency pretty much always sucks.

A lot of people in Hawaii play on the oceanic servers. That way we all have 250-400+ latency together! Then you get those couple of US servers who have 80 pings and you never know where they are standing.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If I don't personally see Deathwing burst out of the ground at some point, I'm blaming Caedere.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KafkaAU wrote: »

A lot of people in Hawaii play on the oceanic servers. That way we all have 250-400+ latency together! Then you get those couple of US servers who have 80 pings and you never know where they are standing.

Smoothping is worth it. Trust me on this. Pretty sure OTW is fucking with MMO bandwidth specifically, because Aion lags to hell and back for me now (never did around launch, and my WoW latency issues never got bad until late January).

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hey skeith

how is dark iron these days?

I popped into the forums at random, and you dudes are merging with overwhelming? what the hell happened

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yea I run lowerping. I am on western coast of Australia so the best I seem to get with it is 250ms.

Lately my ISP or something at my end has also been screwy, as even with lowerping my latency is at like 500-600ms in raids. Think I need to turn a few mods off when raiding.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If I don't personally see Deathwing burst out of the ground at some point, I'm blaming Caedere.

Why me? D:

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reading one of your earlier posts got me extra exited for starting a Worgen. And I fear what was said may not occur as I imagine.

Eye on you. :P

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reading one of your earlier posts got me extra exited for starting a Worgen. And I fear what was said may not occur as I imagine.

It's going to be so hard to quest and do dungeons with all the yiffing

Brainleech on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And even if you don't plan on yiffing, there's plenty of time to sit around and brush your fur until it's luxuriously soft and vibrant.

That should be an action emote.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

What posts? Perhaps I can elaborate if you can lemme know what it is that you can imagine.

Of course, any elaboration from me would be pure speculation until I get into the Beta. Of course.,

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think he might be referring to the post where you said that you get to see the Cataclysm happen in the Worgen starting area when that one goose was going on about what a horrible person Ghostcrawler is for not listening to his super awesome ideas.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think he might be referring to the post where you said that you get to see the Cataclysm happen in the Worgen starting area when that one goose was going on about what a horrible person Ghostcrawler is for not listening to his super awesome ideas.

Oh! Yes. I shall provide a brief and short summary for those interested.

Early Gilneas spoilery stuff:
    So, you start off in Gilneas as a standard human-type person. OH SHITS the town is under attack by rampaging worgens! You must help subdue them! Questquestquest follows as you assist with helping the worgen menace, including some very intense sequences that culminate with you holing up in an abandoned church as the city is overrun and you fight and fight...

...only to succumb to their attacks. You black out and wake up in THE PRESENT, fully worgened out. You are in stocks and have apparently been a mindless beast for untoward amount of years. However, there's been a potion discovered that gives you limited control over the beast within, so you down it and are set free on probation, working for the king.

You find out that everyone's evacuated the city so you've set up shop in a small town south of it - however, Forsaken are attacking the farmsteads and it is up to you to help defend! During one of the quests, you head down into a farm cellar and a loud rumbling is heard.

When you come outside, half of the fields are totally gone, having been swallowed by the sea - CATACLYSM TIME. It's now up to you to assist in an evacuation effort, making sure that everyone will be able to leave safely before it's too late!

You head up into Greymane Manor and while in the observatory, you witness even further destruction as the town below is taken further - yes, your former questhub is now GONE. You flee eastward to face your destiny and to also search for a way to permanently gain control over the beast before it consumes you...

Also, additional spoiler regarding the origin of the worgen:
    While questing, you find out that the worgen are not cursed beasts, but the remnants and descendants of a lost Druid order, who were wolf-shifters and eventually ended up going feral.

Basically, the Cataclysm takes place the entire time you're questing as a worgen. It has some of the best use of phasing I've seen in WoW so far.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And because most of this information has been available on the Internet for quite some time now, there's no reason for anyone to suspect that you are in the alpha or friends with someone who is in the alpha.

edit: That sounded horribly Canadian.

reVerse on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    hey skeith

I popped into the forums at random, and you dudes are merging with overwhelming? what the hell happened

People don't show up to put in time on heroic LK, in both guilds, so it's pretty much do this or languish until Cataclysm. Both cores are pretty solid but benches are nonexistent, so when someone *does* have something else to do it throws a wrench in everything. Won't say I'm ambivalent to this thing, but... yeah.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skeith wrote: »
    hey skeith

People don't show up to put in time on heroic LK, in both guilds, so it's pretty much do this or languish until Cataclysm. Both cores are pretty solid but benches are nonexistent, so when someone *does* have something else to do it throws a wrench in everything. Won't say I'm ambivalent to this thing, but... yeah.

Personally, I blame Theran.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And because most of this information has been available on the Internet for quite some time now, there's no reason for anyone to suspect that you are in the alpha or friends with someone who is in the alpha.

edit: That sounded horribly Canadian.

?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It sounded Canadian so I edited it, and it no longer sounds Canadian.

If that's what you were wondering.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It sounded Canadian so I edited it, and it no longer sounds Canadian.

If that's what you were wondering.

Mmk.

Ya, the worgen area phasing system looks tight from what i've seen of it via friend sources and the internet. I'm glad Blizz is getting that right at least.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sort of silly question - if you have a toon (A) that has a name that you're reserving and you delete it to say transfer over another toon (B) that you want to give it A's name, do you have to wait the 40 days or whatever for A's name to become available again or since its the same account you can assign it right away?

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you delete a character the name becomes available right away. Fact. Or at least 90% recollection of such being the case.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I deleted the old mage I never played anymore and made my DK with the same name when Wrath was released. Don't know if it's different for Transfered toons.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In theory, if both of your characters had the same name, you could transfer the character, have him flagged for free renaming on the account of the name already existing on the realm, delete the placeholder character and rename the real character.

reVerse on
  • Options
    notmetalenoughnotmetalenough Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Sort of silly question - if you have a toon (A) that has a name that you're reserving and you delete it to say transfer over another toon (B) that you want to give it A's name, do you have to wait the 40 days or whatever for A's name to become available again or since its the same account you can assign it right away?

You can absolutely get the name back right away.

notmetalenough on
    Samael the Radiant Faced-- Official Naming, Going Nuclear, Click on the Quest, Make She Run and Guild Measurements Officer - Clawshrimp & Co, Draenor-US
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In theory, if both of your characters had the same name, you could transfer the character, have him flagged for free renaming on the account of the name already existing on the realm, delete the placeholder character and rename the real character.

This works. I did so with my Priest.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well that was lame. Someone advertising "5600+ GS ICC25 raid", I whisper ask if 5588 is fine, and get the invite. A fucking half hour later when we get enough people, I get kicked with "Sorry, thought your GS was higher".

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well that was lame. Someone advertising "5600+ GS ICC25 raid", I whisper ask if 5588 is fine, and get the invite. A fucking half hour later when we get enough people, I get kicked with "Sorry, thought your GS was higher".

Yeah, fuck you with a Gearscore 12 points lower than what they're looking for, damn scrub get outta my raid.

This right here is GS used exactly wrong.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skeith wrote: »
    hey skeith

man, that is crappy, it's like the bad old t6 days

I was kinda thinking about coming back once CoX inevitably stops holding my attention, but it seems like all the old homies have quit

ed: not that you aren't a homie

but well you know what I mean

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yeah, fuck you with a Gearscore 12 points lower than what they're looking for, damn scrub get outta my raid.

This right here is GS used exactly wrong.

Oddly, a few minutes later she messaged me saying that was fucked up and re-invited.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In other news, the best part of Cataclysm.

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.