As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evolutionary Psychology

BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Evo Psych has been brought up several times in a few running threads these past couple days, so to avoid any further derailment of other worthwhile discussions, I'm giving it its own thread.

I'm not sure I understand the hate here for the entire field of evolutionary psychology, but then that might be because I'm fairly uninitiated. Obviously a lot of the claims made by some evopsychers are completely unverifiable and sometimes downright sexist/racist, but the basic principle that human behavior is shaped by evolution just as is the case for all other animals seems sound.
Duffel wrote: »
The problem with evo psych is that it's basically nothing more than backward projecting current cultural mores onto a past supposedly filled with grunting, red-in-tooth-and-claw 'cave men' with supposedly unrestrained sexual behavior.

This would ignore the fact that, in hunting-gathering groups keeping the population down is usually a big priority, as opposed to spreading your seed hither, thither and yon - which would raise the population of the group higher than the local landscape could support. Nobody ever thought having lots of kids was a good thing until agriculture made it possible, and we can prove this by studying modern hunter-gatherer groups. By the time we hit the Agricultural Revolution all our evolving was essentially done.

Evo-psych people usually are totally ignorant of even basic cultural anthropology, which is kind of annoying. I've never heard a convincing explanation, for instance, regarding matrilineal societies where inheritance is transmitted through the mother and nobody really cares who the "real" father is (in some groups, women are even encouraged to have multiple partners during pregnancy, with the belief that this makes the baby stronger).

Pretty much everything we, in our society, do can be ascribed to culture and being taught to think in a certain way from birth, because for every "evolutionary" rule we can usually find a culture that is an exception to that rule.

I agree with you that culture develops in response to external and internal forces and varies widely based on what those forces are.

The problem with evo psych is that it generally infers a very specific set of cultural practices to be universals, usually related to sex-related behavior. Men being predisposed to be as promiscuous as possible - usually one of the tenets of the evo psych position - would obviously be a very bad survival strategy in an arid desert region with very limited food resources, and would inevitably result in either starvation or infanticide.

In any case, I really think if we really want to evo-psych it up we should start a new thread. Skyghene has a pretty good discussion going on here and I don't want to derail it. I won't be able to participate because I'm going to be away from internet for a while but I'm sure there's people on here that'd join in.

BloodySloth on

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    They aren't major - they're hardly there. And the large disparity between the two sexes is socially constructed.

Cite please.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The problem with evo psych is that it generally infers a very specific set of cultural practices to be universals, usually related to sex-related behavior. Men being predisposed to be as promiscuous as possible - usually one of the tenets of the evo psych position - would obviously be a very bad survival strategy in an arid desert region with very limited food resources, and would inevitably result in either starvation or infanticide.

Infanticide has been pretty common throughout history. Like, really common.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think evo psych tends to have a lot of studies done that are a)on shaky ground with their methods and/or b) draw weird crazy conclucions from their data.

It is bascilly the sketchiest part of psychology in some ways, and psychology as a field already has plenty of bad studies done across all fields.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think, again, that the premise for evolutionary psychology is a step forward from many other pretty ridiculous theories of psychology; Freudian psychology still isn't dead, for instance. On the other hand, a lot of evopsychologists seem to be overstepping the boundaries of what we can really do with it. You simply can't explain away things like thousands of years of ever-complicating human culture.

I think also that a lot of these problems are partly a consequence of it being a relatively young field.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think, again, that the premise for evolutionary psychology is a step forward from many other pretty ridiculous theories of psychology;

And here I was thinking that psychology had something to do with the scientific method.

Hachface on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hoooooo boy.

Evo Psych, my best friend. Here is a long, pre-prepared rant from yours truly on the subject
    Arch wrote:
    i REALLY have problems with the leading researchers in the field because they operate their science in a cultural vacuum. that is- they disregard two things

1. the effect that human culture has on shaping human evolution

and

2. how far back “human culture” can be found

popular theories of evolutionary psychology apply purely intragenic and gene based theories for EVERY single human behavior, and attempt to correlate all human behaviors today as the result of a trait that was selected for genetically. this SOUNDS well and good, but what it disregards in my opinion, is the ridiculous amount of “non-darwinian” selection that happens in humans. as far back as 10,000 years ago (and most likely even farther back) you had sexual selective practices that flew in the face of “selecting those that are the most fit”. to take a good example, look at the biblical rules of marriage laid out in leviticus. if a man dies, his wife MUST be married to his brother (her brother in law). thus, any children from this union were NOT produced out of an environment where their parents selected mates based on some “fitness” categorizer, but rather based on a set of laws. in addition, attempting to correlate ANY modern behavior with our “hypothesized ancestors” is an exercise in futility and smacks of western centrism, as there are MANY cultures that exist today that practice mate selection in ways that cannot be explained by “darwinian” mechanisms of fitness.

the yanomami of the amazon come to mind as a striking example. in this tribe, women are seen as objects in a literal sense. for instance, say a woman’s husband abandons her. in that case, it is perfectly acceptable for the entire tribe to gang-rape her. this obviously does not select for “fit mates” as she could give birth even when she does not have the resources to provide for her children, and it also removes her from having any say over her mate.

evolutionary psychologists also ignore an idea began by carl sagan, and continued and codified by dawkins- that of “extragenic information”, which dawkins named the “meme”. human beings are able to shape future generations by encoding information outside of their genetic material, and lots of evidence demonstrates that we have been doing this for hundreds of thousands of years. we have evidence that at least a hundred thousand years ago, something in the genus Homo was making tools and since many more were made than could be made by one individual, it stands to reason the method for making these tools was passed down.

an excerpt from one of richerson’s papers helps drive my point home
    Finally, we contend that the cultural evolution of social institutions over the last half a million years created novel social environments that led to the genetic evolution of new social adaptations in
    our species

to me, this is a far cry from people clamoring to discover “the gene for altruism” and try and invent an explanation for why some cultures behave in ways that would appear to be deleterious in a traditionally “darwinian” sense. what i am trying to say is that it is refreshing to see anthropologists not miss the forest for the trees; the answer to a lot of human evolutionary questions is all around us right now. culture, society, and the ability to store and pass down information without having to contain it in our DNA is one of the reasons (possibly THE reason) that the genus Homo has taken over this world.

Citation

Gene-culture coevolution and the evolution of social institutions. With Robert Boyd. In Better than Consciousness? Decision Making, The Human Mind, and Implications for Institutions. Edited by Christoph Engel and Wolf Singer. MIT Press. Pp. 305-323. 200

tl;dr- memetics, dogg

Arch on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My degree is in evolutionary psychology. Generally, I have to avoid interjecting any of it into a conversation, as people give you a disproportionately large amount of shit for it. We are definitely hostile towards both social psychology and cultural anthropology.

Dealing with misconceptions and misunderstandings just takes so much time and laying down other stuff that very few people will deal with it. I used to write huge essays in forums but I got tired of being dismissed immediately as sexist/racist or whathaveyou.

Though recently I've become a fan of memetics, which does change the whole picture considerably.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Forgot to mention- look up Dr. Rob Boyd and Dr. Peter J Richerson. they are the two scientists I reference in that rant that may not be well-known

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also ALSO I am going to sleep now, and expect to have lots of fun with this thread tomorrow.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think, again, that the premise for evolutionary psychology is a step forward from many other pretty ridiculous theories of psychology; Freudian psychology still isn't dead, for isntance. On the other hand, a lot of evopsychologists seem to be overstepping the boundaries of what we can really do with it. You simply can't explain away things like thousands of years of ever-complicating human culture.

I think also that a lot of these problems are partly a consequence of it being a relatively young field.

Evolutionary psychology isn't "explaining away thousands of years of ever-complicating human culture" though. It's saying that there's a human nature genetic influence as well as a cultural influence.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I do agree with the sentiment of not understanding the almost irrational hatred the field seems to bring out in people.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    But Arch, Dawkins buys into evolutionary psychology. And he's like THE MEME GUY.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corbius wrote: »
    I do agree with the sentiment of not understanding the almost irrational hatred the field seems to bring out in people.

Sex is a political topic so people tend to bring out the knives.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Indeed it has, but that's beside the larger point - that there is really no evolutionary advantage for the purported Paleolithic lothario to have as many children as physically possible, regardless of his ability to actually provide for them. A hunting-gathering band can support only a very limited population based on local food resources. Raising a large family would be literally impossible; simply impregnating a woman and then fleeing the scene of the crime would give no guarantee whatsoever of actually producing a pregnancy that leads to a healthy child.

There's also the fact that hunting-gathering bands tend to be substantially more egalitarian in structure than, for instance, an agricultural village or whatever; division of labor, both between the sexes and among them, is more fluid, decisions are usually made by a group, etc. It's difficult to accumulate wealth (and, in turn, status and authority over other people) when everything you possess can be carried on your back. So, it poses the question of how one male would gain access to all these mates, siring lots of offspring, while the other males in the group didn't do anything about it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    But Arch, Dawkins buys into evolutionary psychology. And he's like THE MEME GUY.

that doesn't change my argument in the least, and is a silly appeal to authority as he is not a practicing evolutionary psychologist; he just likes the idea

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think, again, that the premise for evolutionary psychology is a step forward from many other pretty ridiculous theories of psychology; Freudian psychology still isn't dead, for isntance. On the other hand, a lot of evopsychologists seem to be overstepping the boundaries of what we can really do with it. You simply can't explain away things like thousands of years of ever-complicating human culture.

Evolutionary psychology isn't "explaining away thousands of years of ever-complicating human culture" though. It's saying that there's a human nature genetic influence as well as a cultural influence.

Frankly, I just pulled that idea from some of the immediately harsh and dismissive criticism I've heard from some on these boards. My understanding of the whole field is fairly rudimentary, I've only read stuff like the application of kin theory to human relationships and basic stuff about altruism.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corbius wrote: »

Sex is a political topic so people tend to bring out the knives.

Why is sex the only thing people want to discuss in relation to evo psych though?

I can't find cites this very second, but when I was in grad school we were reading some fascinating stuff about cognitive applications of evo psych that had NOTHING to do with sexual behavior.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Indeed it has, but that's beside the larger point - that there is really no evolutionary advantage for the purported Paleolithic lothario to have as many children as physically possible, regardless of his ability to actually provide for them. A hunting-gathering band can support only a very limited population based on local food resources. Raising a large family would be literally impossible; simply impregnating a woman and then fleeing the scene of the crime would give no guarantee whatsoever of actually producing a pregnancy that leads to a healthy child.

The point is to have as many opportunities in genetic offspring as possible, not to have the biggest family possible. Extras can be killed off. The point is that guys have the capacity to fire and forget, 'cause they could, theoretically father like 900 kids a year. A woman could do like 1 1/6, so she necessarily has more of an investment in individual children.

EDIT: So no, you're totally wrong that there's no evolutionary advantage to having as many children as possible regardless of ability to provide.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Arch wrote: »

that doesn't change my argument in the least, and is a silly appeal to authority as he is not a practicing evolutionary psychologist; he just likes the idea

Pinker subscribes to the notion as well.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I also have to apologize ahead of time, because what we seem to be referring to as "evo psych" in this thread was called "sociobiology" when I studied it a couple of years ago, so some of what I said above may be tilting at a windmill, because we're getting pretty far down the academic taxonomic scale here.

Duffel on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It is uncontroversial to say that human psychology is adapted to the environment humans evolved in.

I am unclear how you go from this general principle to making specific cause-effect claims. It does not strike me as very scientific. How in the world would you put this kind of speculation to the test?

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The point is to have as many opportunities in genetic offspring as possible, not to have the biggest family possible. Extras can be killed off. The point is that guys have the capacity to fire and forget, 'cause they could, theoretically father like 900 kids a year. A woman could do like 1 1/6, so she necessarily has more of an investment in individual children.
    Yes, this is physically possible.

That doesn't mean that there's any evidence for it, archaeological or otherwise. It's basically a thought exercise and personally I don't think that has much scientific validity.

In any case, I have to abdicate this thread because I've got a lot to do tomorrow and I'm going to be offline for several days, so everybody have fun with it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    It is uncontroversial to say that human psychology is adapted to the environment humans evolved in.

I am unclear how you go from this general principle to making specific cause-effect claims. It does not strike me as very scientific. How in the world would you put this kind of speculation to the test?

My biggest problem is the expansion of the early ancestral environment to the current (meaning nearly all of recorded history) state of the human species.

A pet theory of mine is that as soon as we began transmitting extragenous information, we effectively removed ourselves from a large portion of natural selective pressures and culture began to evolve exponentially fast in relation to genetics, making behavioral comparisons between current humans and our ancestors basically useless.

Thus my problem with evolutionary psychology.

If this all makes sense?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

EDIT: So no, you're totally wrong that there's no evolutionary advantage to having as many children as possible regardless of ability to provide.

That doesn't mean that there's any evidence for it, archaeological or otherwise. It's basically a thought exercise and personally I don't think that has much validity.

Ne evolutionary evidence to the genetic logic to having as many offspring as possible regardless of ability to care?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010

That doesn't mean that there's any evidence for it, archaeological or otherwise. It's basically a thought exercise and personally I don't think that has much validity.

Ne evolutionary evidence to the genetic logic to having as many offspring as possible regardless of ability to care?

A hypothesis that has no evidence besides its internal logic is pretty much the definition of a "just-so story."

You can construct a nice-sounding, logical evolutionary story about any aspect of human psychology. This doesn't make it true.

Hachface on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah, this is the problem. We can't run psychological experiments on paleolithic populations— and as pointed out, psychological evidence from modern hunter-gatherer societies doesn't support a lot of what is claimed. What winds up happening is people simply pick the guess that best fits their preconceived assumptions, and claim that's science.

Although in fairness, a lot of psychology is like that.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Adrien wrote: »
    and as pointed out, psychological evidence from modern hunter-gatherer societies doesn't support a lot of what is claimed.

Modern hunter-gatherers are still modern, though. Those groups have necessarily existed for just as long as us internet types, so studying them to get an idea about how our ancestors behaved has its own problems.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

A hypothesis that has no evidence besides its internal logic is pretty much the definition of a "just-so story."

You can construct a nice-sounding, logical evolutionary story about any aspect of human psychology. This doesn't make it true.

A hypothesis with sound internal logic is a good place to start. Calling it a just-so story doesn't make it false, but the simple fact that we can look at any number of nonhuman species makes it pretty clear that, at least in nonhuman animals it's plainly true. Simulations work as well. This isn't just evolutionary psychology, it's basic evolutionary theory.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Being able to make predictions is indeed important. If you think that virtually every last thing that men find attractive about women are related to cues of physical health in general, and reproductive health in particular, then there are things you can test.

If we determine that the .7 waist to hip ratio is the most desirable situation in every culture on Earth, then you better be able to show that alternate ratios are related to health issues. If it turns out that men desire lighter hair and higher pitched voices, it better be the case that hair dulls over time and that the voices are higher in the youth.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Adrien wrote: »
    and as pointed out, psychological evidence from modern hunter-gatherer societies doesn't support a lot of what is claimed.

Modern hunter-gatherers are still modern, though. Those groups have necessarily existed for just as long as us internet types, so studying them to get an idea about how are ancestors behaved has its own problems.

I'll take a possibly tainted research pool in the hand over two misogynistic preconceptions in the bush.

Essentially, there's nothing theoretically wrong with studying the evolutionary impact on human behavior, but any area of science is only as good as its evidence, and the evidence applied in what passes for evolutionary psychology sucks.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My main problem with evo psych is the applying of broad claims to "evolutionary tendencies" when those claims can also be effectively explained by current factors.

Only once you have isolated and identified sources of variance in our current environment should you be looking at evolutionary theory for answers...ie if there's a universal across every human then sure you can try to make an evolutionary explanation for it. But to determine a universal is much, much harder than people think and requires a shit ton of work before hand.

Assuming universals without first checking to see if they are is logically incoherent. It completely fails even a cursory conceptual analysis. On top of that you can't run experiments on past populations, so you can't test anything you say.

Referring to evolution as a potential explanation for a universal is fine. Using evolutionary theory as your starting point is incoherent. It's broken right off the bat.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm going to stop calling it "evolutionary psychology" because I run into too many people who think that "evolutionary psychology" = evolution + psychology.

The beef that I have is with the particular subdiscipline christened by Cosmides & Tooby in their "Primer" on evolutionary psychology.

Therefore, I'm now going to start calling them Cosmidians.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's almost always best for a male to be as promiscuous as possible, since the cost of conceiving is virtually nothing (i.e. just sperm & the energy needed to bone for 5 min) in the ideal conditions. It doesn't matter much that the infant might die since it's not going to impact the male's survival much. And for the little that it does, you have to remember that survival is only one component of biological fitness, reproductive success is the other.

I'm not even sure why everyone is going 'ololol, evo-pysch!" on this, it's a pretty basic fact of biology. It influences the behavior of all sexually reproducing animals including humans, those that have the higher investment cost in reproduction (i.e. females) are more picky & less promiscuous then those with a lower investment cost (i.e. males).

More pornography and media is in general is dedicated on selling sex to men because of this. Portraying women in a one-dimensional way in music videos is blatantly appealing to lowest common denominator for males, they do this to make money - not because they have some sort of agenda against women. I'm sure this happens (i.e. portraying males in whatever way appeals to the broadest female demographic) in media specifically targeting female audiences as well, cheap soap operas and literotica for example. edit: I was going to post this in the pornography & perceptions thread but I figured it would derail it too much.

-

I think evo-pysch is pretty baller in general, it's just that it's a lot harder to get to the "why are we doing this?" via biological explanation rather than looking at proximate cultural factors. And also it's much easier to come up with possible explanations via deduction than it is to do so through actual scientific falsification. So it I understand why it gets a lot of heat; people coming up with all kinds of bullshit explanations without there being any research to verify their claims.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Streltsy wrote: »
    It's almost always best for a male to be as promiscuous as possible

STDs would like to have a word with you.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Streltsy wrote: »
    It's almost always best for a male to be as promiscuous as possible, since the cost of conceiving is virtually nothing (i.e. just sperm & the energy needed to bone for 5 min) in the ideal conditions. It doesn't matter much that the infant might die since it's not going to impact the male's survival much. And for the little that it does, you have to remember that survival is only one component of biological fitness, reproductive success is the other.

You need to read this over a few times until you understand why what you're saying is [strike]stupid[/strike] batshit fucking loco.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the basic principle that human behavior is shaped by evolution just as is the case for all other animals seems sound.

This isn't evo psych any more than "analysis of human behavior through psychology" is "psychoanalysis."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also humans live in tight social groupings and always have throughout history. Rampant promiscuity is going to result in a distinct disadvantage for said male because the other males are going to kill him/drive him off and probably kill his children too.

And if you get driven off from your tribe, you die anyway.

It totally works if humans were completely individual creatures who don't interact with each other for reasons other than mating.

Ie it's a theory that doesn't apply to homo sapiens.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also humans live in tight social groupings and always have throughout history. Rampant promiscuity is going to result in a distinct disadvantage for said male because the other males are going to kill him/drive him off and probably kill his children too.

And if you get driven off from your tribe, you die.

Err, what? The reason the guy is sleeping with lots of women is because he has proven himself to be the strongest. In most situations he's the chieftain of the tribe, or at the very least a very renowned, respected, feared warrior. So no, other males aren't "going to kill him/drive him off", mostly because they can't, but also because doing so would put the tribe at a significant disadvantage against other tribes.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »

And if you get driven off from your tribe, you die.

Err, what? The reason the guy is sleeping with lots of women is because he has proven himself to be the strongest. In most situations he's the chieftain of the tribe, or at the very least a very renowned, respected, feared warrior. So no, other males aren't "going to kill him/drive him off", mostly because they can't, but also because doing so would put the tribe at a significant disadvantage against other tribes.

The theory stated was not "only the great warrior gets to be promiscuous" it was "it is an advantage for every male to be as promiscuous as possible".

Don't change the theory then tell me I'm wrong. That's not how argument works.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    First of all, you have to understand what the unit that natural selection actually acts on is. Its not the individual. Its the genes themselves. An action doesnt have to benefit you. In fact, it can harm you and still propagate if there is a net benefit to the pool, even if its just in the short term.

Thats not the mainstream foundation but it is the Dawkins angle.

Dr Mario Kart on