As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gulf Coast Oil Spill]It Ain't Over Yet

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is the most epic of all failures. It's a fucking Larry & Belki skit.

I'm putting this out there: whatever BP says is going to get the job done is going to fail. Why? Because it's plainly obvious that they have no idea how to seal the leak (it's likely that nobody on this planet knows how to stop such a leak - and perhaps likely that we simply lack the technology to do so at this point in time) and that they've never known, but they couldn't possibly tell the press, "Well, shit, we don't know what to do," so they pulled a few old ideas off the back burner to cast the illusion that they're still in some semblance of control.

It'd be hilarious if the consequences weren't so terrible. I mean, all of BP's rhetoric recently has been couched in references to the difficulties of working at such depths and how this limits their options. So what happened to just a few months ago, when drilling at such depths was alleged to be so safe, such a piece of cake, simple to manage if something did go wrong, etc?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well the failure is clearly primarily before the disaster occured, in that BP has done absolutely fucking dick in regards to R&D for this kind of thing. Remember I was one of the loudest voices in the last thread for saying BP should have spent $texas preparing for this regardless of their analysis of the chance of it happening because this is one of the big arguments against offshore drilling, that something like this could happen.

Now though? It's not like anybody can wave a magic wand and fix it. About the only thing I can think of that BP is royally fucking up on (in terms of effort) is in being total shitbags in terms of the media - being concerned with the bottom line and not the public, but that's capitalism for you.

Also of course their dark works in regards to trying to legally fuck fishermen and physically fuck with them by not issuing safety equipment. That and their dispersant is shit.

Really I'm just saying I honestly believe BP knows of no better way to fix this than they've tried, in virtually every other regard they're total bags of cocks though.

override367 on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Really I'm just saying I honestly believe BP knows of no better way to fix this than they've tried...

Yeah, of course they don't know of a better way - because no solution to the problem likely exists. Everything they're doing is just, as had been said by someone else earlier, theater. I mean, I don't even doubt that they mean well now that they see what they've done and really would stop the leak if they could, but the fact that they themselves buy into it doesn't make it any less of an act.

It's like if you're one of those jackasses who insists that "Speed isn't really a factor in driver safety. It's all about not being a Sunday driver," and then you nail a pedestrian at 60 kph because you were clipping along at 150 when you had to suddenly apply the brakes. No doubt that part of you just curls-up and dies, and that you get out of the car and try to somehow tend to the broken corpse in the middle of the road - but you already know that there's nothing you can do.
    Well the failure is clearly primarily before the disaster occured, in that BP has done absolutely fucking dick in regards to R&D for this kind of thing. Remember I was one of the loudest voices in the last thread for saying BP should have spent $texas preparing for this regardless of their analysis of the chance of it happening because this is one of the big arguments against offshore drilling, that something like this could happen.

Yeah, I'm totally agreeing with you - though with the caveat that it's not been made at all obvious to me that deep sea ocean drilling is safe to do at all, regardless of how well prepared anyone thinks they may be to do it safely.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tach wrote: »
    Rachael Maddow did a short bit this past week on an oil spill in the Gulf 30 years ago. The exact same issue, the exact same result, the exact same responses, the exact same failures- every single time.

Top Hat? They called it "Operation Sombrero". Didn't work.

Top Kill? Didn't work.

Junk shot? Didn't work.

Only relief wells worked, and that took months to complete. Months. This well was 200 feet below the surface.

So BP has tried every single thing they could- all 30 year old solutions. No one, in all that time, has come up with anything better. At no time has the technology to stop a situation of this magnitude been developed.

This shit has happened before. This shit will happen again. As long as the oil companies are not held accountable for the catastrophic risks they get into, we will have another spill like this- and they won't know what the fuck to do about it.

The only thing that has improved in the last 30 years is the drilling tech itself. It might be 2 miles deeper than the last one, but the drills are considerably better.

MKR on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Has there been any sign of a criminal probe into this whole clusterfuck yet? So far all i hear is people pleading the 5th and telling the media that the time for that is later.

Honestly that is the right attitude. I don't care if the devil himself is the head of BP and deliberately sabotaged this well because he hates us, the time to think about that is after this gets sealed, nothing else matters until then.

The last thing we need is already tight-lipped BP lawyering up and completely stopping any attempts to fix the crisis because they're preparing criminal defenses

Again, BP is not a single individual. And even single individuals are capable of doing multiple things at once. And stopping all attempts to fix the crisis would in itself be illegal, I imagine, so it'd be an extremely petulant and irrational course of action.

I hate this mentality that, somehow, if we start inquiring about criminal probe, BP will move efforts from fixing and cleaning the leak to drawing up its defense teams.

You people DO realize that these are separate teams of people and we need to have a group of people dedicated to stopping and cleaning this spill as well as a group of people dedicated to charging BP with criminal negligence. Because the more time we have to prepare our case, the more cohesive it will be.

We need to be doing both, and BP really needs to up the amount of workers it has cleaning beaches and marshes. Also, they better be paying for the inevitable medical bills for the people who are starting to get sick from the fumes of the evaporating oil.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Has there been any sign of a criminal probe into this whole clusterfuck yet? So far all i hear is people pleading the 5th and telling the media that the time for that is later.

Honestly that is the right attitude. I don't care if the devil himself is the head of BP and deliberately sabotaged this well because he hates us, the time to think about that is after this gets sealed, nothing else matters until then.

The last thing we need is already tight-lipped BP lawyering up and completely stopping any attempts to fix the crisis because they're preparing criminal defenses

Again, BP is not a single individual. And even single individuals are capable of doing multiple things at once. And stopping all attempts to fix the crisis would in itself be illegal, I imagine, so it'd be an extremely petulant and irrational course of action.

I hate this mentality that, somehow, if we start inquiring about criminal probe, BP will move efforts from fixing and cleaning the leak to drawing up its defense teams.

You people DO realize that these are separate teams of people and we need to have a group of people dedicated to stopping and cleaning this spill as well as a group of people dedicated to charging BP with criminal negligence. Because the more time we have to prepare our case, the more cohesive it will be.

We need to be doing both, and BP really needs to up the amount of workers it has cleaning beaches and marshes. Also, they better be paying for the inevitable medical bills for the people who are starting to get sick from the fumes of the evaporating oil.

Again, the ONLY thing that matters is closing the well. Nothing else has one iota of importance right now unless other wells are on the verge of collapse. As such the only legal thing which should be being done is passing laws removing any ability bp has to legally not pay (removing liability limits), documenting all effects of the spill thoroughly, and passing laws demanding that all active wells in us waters have relief wells drilled next to them asap. Nothing else is even close to important, hell, I'd offer bp immunity from prosecution for negligence if they agreed to pay all damages and also allow third party observers and reporters into their meetings.

The whole 'tech has not improved' thing is utterly correct though. We have one half decent immediate option (gigantic bomb) but even that hasn't been tested and simulated. We have much better drills, but the situation is much deeper. These things are time bombs, and we need to dig a functional kill switch for them.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if they played chicken. If I was in charge of BP, I'd play chicken. I'd fully state in private that I'd half ass the hell out of the clean up if I didn't get reduced liability. It's common sense. Hold the clean up as your barganing chip to negotiate a better deal. Then fuck the crap out of them in a back room deal. It's the logical decision.

BP only cares about BP. It's a business. Their only goal is doing reducing their own financial burden. I wouldn't be shocked if they fucked us over to do that.

nstf on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tach wrote: »
    Rachael Maddow did a short bit this past week on an oil spill in the Gulf 30 years ago. The exact same issue, the exact same result, the exact same responses, the exact same failures- every single time.

Top Hat? They called it "Operation Sombrero". Didn't work.

Top Kill? Didn't work.

Junk shot? Didn't work.

Only relief wells worked, and that took months to complete. Months. This well was 200 feet below the surface.

So BP has tried every single thing they could- all 30 year old solutions. No one, in all that time, has come up with anything better. At no time has the technology to stop a situation of this magnitude been developed.

This shit has happened before. This shit will happen again. As long as the oil companies are not held accountable for the catastrophic risks they get into, we will have another spill like this- and they won't know what the fuck to do about it.

It's pretty obvious at this point that all these attempts are essentially theatrical. They are aware the chances of them working are almost non-existent. They are just filling up time until the relief well is ready.

The only real solution is the relief well. Once that is completely drilled this will be fixed and not before.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Again, the ONLY thing that matters is closing the well. Nothing else has one iota of importance right now unless other wells are on the verge of collapse. As such the only legal thing which should be being done is passing laws removing any ability bp has to legally not pay (removing liability limits), documenting all effects of the spill thoroughly, and passing laws demanding that all active wells in us waters have relief wells drilled next to them asap. Nothing else is even close to important, hell, I'd offer bp immunity from prosecution for negligence if they agreed to pay all damages and also allow third party observers and reporters into their meetings.

The whole 'tech has not improved' thing is utterly correct though. We have one half decent immediate option (gigantic bomb) but even that hasn't been tested and simulated. We have much better drills, but the situation is much deeper. These things are time bombs, and we need to dig a functional kill switch for them.

See I think this is where the disagreement comes in. While I am 100% with you that the well should be top priority, the second the well is closed this issue is going to disappear from the public eye and the opportunity to reign in one of our most out-of-control industries will be gone. I don't really see how active criminal investigations are going to impair the capping efforts at this point.

Someone asked a page back if I was implying it was possible that BP was acting maliciously. The answer is not directly. Obviously nobody wants to ruin the gulf coast for no gain. But BP has a vested interest in saving money, often to the point of unnecessary and downright stupid risks. That is what happened here- a company made a conscious decision to cut major corners on safety features and now millions of people will be impacted by that decision. It wasn't BP's intent but their decisions lead inexorably to this disaster. If they aren't held accountable why not do it again? Don't kid yourself for a second that there's a shred of altruism in a company of that size.

Alethiometer on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    BP is going to be fending off lawsuits from this for years to come. And not everyone that files suit will be without resources.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The hilarious (and by hilarious I mean terrible) part is that any fishermen will be bankrupt long before BP has to pay a cent

override367 on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My question is will this be a Chernobyl-style event for offshore drilling or petroleum in general -- an event that completely and utterly turns the public against the industry for generations?

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    My question is will this be a Chernobyl-style event for offshore drilling or petroleum in general -- an event that completely and utterly turns the public against the industry for generations?

no chance in hell

public blame is already mostly swinging to obama for not being precognitive and having the Gubmint materialize at the spill mere moments after it happened

today's americans are brought up to believe that corporations are infallible, there's going to be no backlash worth mentioning

Rust on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, I could see a backlash specifically against BP. Hell, they aren't even american, and they shat all over our gulf coast, and are being right bastards to the fishermen and such that they put out of work, during a depression(caused by greedy business people who took ridiculous risks and lied about those risks to the public and government). Someone just needs to write a good country song about it.

Certainly not for the petroleum industry at large, not unless prices go up. Americans love their cars.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    redx wrote: »
    Well, I could see a backlash specifically against BP. Hell, they aren't even american, and they shat all over our gulf coast, and are being right bastards to the fishermen and such that they put out of work, during a depression(caused by greedy business people who took ridiculous risks and lied about those risks to the public and government). Someone just needs to write a good country song about it.

Certainly not for the petroleum industry at large, not unless prices go up. Americans love their cars.

you have a point in that someone pointing out that BP means BRITISH Petroleum would probably be the worst thing that could happen to them, PR-wise

the mistreatment will be overlooked and americans are too stupid to understand the economic consequences

Rust on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The hilarious (and by hilarious I mean terrible) part is that any fishermen will be bankrupt long before BP has to pay a cent

It's not the independent fisherman BP has to contend with. It's the fishing corporations that collectively dwarf BP.

MKR on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Again, the ONLY thing that matters is closing the well.

Hurrah for obstinate blanket statements that either demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of how the universe works - i.e. time doesn't occur as discretely sequential events and as such multiple things occur at the same time - or are intentionally incorrect in an attempt to justify flawed positions - will you rescind your statement when I suggest that we liquidate all of your shit and put you to work at gunpoint 24/7 to clean up this mess? Will other things matter then?

The world doesn't fucking stop just because you want it to. Just because the Nazis have invaded France doesn't mean that nothing else matters so forget about China and prosecuting murderers and upholding the principles of life, liberty and justice. I mean, geez, if that were true and if I were BP, I -would- stop trying to stop the leak, because apparently so long as I don't stop it, I'm free to do whatever I want. Hell, maybe I'd start some more spills! Nobody blame me until I stop them all, because if you do, you're taking away from the ONLY thing that matters!

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Really, that wouldn't be a bad thing. We really need to get people against the idea of oil to move them toward MUCH better alternatives.

One of them being This!!!!

With that said, again, closing the LEAK is the top priority but we don't have just ONE priority. We need to be equally researching the fact that BP is criminally negligent in this matter and the cause, and we need to be building a case. We could take them to trial RIGHT NOW (if we had all the evidence necessary), and still force them to close the leak while they are in trial. The people who would be on trial are NOT the people sealing the leak, nor are they making huge decisions. Mainly, they are just coming out for PR and delegating the leak closing to their underlings. They have engineers and others working toward the goal of closing the leak. We very much need to be pursuing a criminal case against BP right now. So closing the leak is not the ONLY thing that matters right now.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So closing the leak is not the ONLY thing that matters right now.

Oh. So that explains why there aren't 6 billion people converging on the Gulf coast right now. Thanks!

hippofant on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Christ, guys, he obviously meant in the context of the friggin' Gulf. I don't really agree with him, but at least address his arguments on the merits. Which is as stated above that BP can indeed do two things at once, and assuredly already is. They have lots of lawyers, who I imagine are not brainstorming engineering fixes. Much as, if prosecution were threatened/foreshadowed (and let's aim at MMS first, frankly), the engineers wouldn't be consulting US Code instead of trying to figure out a way to fix this.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FilFil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Oh. So that explains why there aren't 6 billion people converging on the Gulf coast right now. Thanks!

6 billion people wouldn't close the leak.

Fil on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think if we grind them into big enough chunks, we might have a more effective junk shot.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really hate to be put into the position of defending BP, but what possible motive could they have for not stopping this if they knew a surefire way to do that?

Again, the issue is gross negligence. They didn't bother to come up with a way to stop it because they gambled it would never happen.

shryke on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    tumblr_l37rtxdq4q1qzlfumo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1275331696&Signature=cHdV4X0m02zWwTM6dX9a049kXfU%3D

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS!

Awww.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alternatively:

tumblr_l38lqwC7BO1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Those are both great

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the last word in the third panel should get cut off. Or obscured by a black blotch.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are we honestly under the impression that BP's legal department isn't already working through the nights in preparation for a massive series of lawsuits? I'd be really really surprised to learn they weren't already readying themselves -- that is why all those engineers know to plead the fifth.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fil wrote: »

But if they are lawyers it'd be a good start.

3drage on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are we honestly under the impression that BP's legal department isn't already working through the nights in preparation for a massive series of lawsuits? I'd be really really surprised to learn they weren't already readying themselves -- that is why all those engineers know to plead the fifth.

Specifically, they're hard at work trying to get the cases into a single court in Texas with a judge they've paid a LOOOOOT of money to in campaign contributions.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/us/30rig.html?pagewanted=all
    WASHINGTON — Internal documents from BP show that there were serious problems and safety concerns with the Deepwater Horizon rig far earlier than those the company described to Congress last week.

The problems involved the well casing and the blowout preventer, which are considered critical pieces in the chain of events that led to the disaster on the rig.

The documents show that in March, after several weeks of problems on the rig, BP was struggling with a loss of “well control.” And as far back as 11 months ago, it was concerned about the well casing and the blowout preventer.

On June 22, for example, BP engineers expressed concerns that the metal casing the company wanted to use might collapse under high pressure.

“This would certainly be a worst-case scenario,” Mark E. Hafle, a senior drilling engineer at BP, warned in an internal report. “However, I have seen it happen so know it can occur.”

The company went ahead with the casing, but only after getting special permission from BP colleagues because it violated the company’s safety policies and design standards. The internal reports do not explain why the company allowed for an exception. BP documents released last week to The Times revealed that company officials knew the casing was the riskier of two options.

Suriko on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/us/30rig.html?pagewanted=all
    WASHINGTON — Internal documents from BP show that there were serious problems and safety concerns with the Deepwater Horizon rig far earlier than those the company described to Congress last week.

The problems involved the well casing and the blowout preventer, which are considered critical pieces in the chain of events that led to the disaster on the rig.

The documents show that in March, after several weeks of problems on the rig, BP was struggling with a loss of “well control.” And as far back as 11 months ago, it was concerned about the well casing and the blowout preventer.

On June 22, for example, BP engineers expressed concerns that the metal casing the company wanted to use might collapse under high pressure.

“This would certainly be a worst-case scenario,” Mark E. Hafle, a senior drilling engineer at BP, warned in an internal report. “However, I have seen it happen so know it can occur.”

The company went ahead with the casing, but only after getting special permission from BP colleagues because it violated the company’s safety policies and design standards. The internal reports do not explain why the company allowed for an exception. BP documents released last week to The Times revealed that company officials knew the casing was the riskier of two options.

Color me totally unsurprised. Since the beginning of this I've been fully expecting it to be a litany of fuck ups, because it always is. Massive disasters are never "random".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FilFil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    3drage wrote: »
    Fil wrote: »

But if they are lawyers it'd be a good start.

Well played.

Fil on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is amazing

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill_plumes
    During a tour of a BP PLC staging area for cleanup workers, CEO Tony Hayward said the company's sampling showed "no evidence" that oil was suspended in large masses beneath the surface. He didn't elaborate on how the testing was done.

Hayward said that oil's natural tendency is to rise to the surface, and any oil found underwater was in the process of working its way up.

"The oil is on the surface," Hayward said. "There aren't any plumes."

Hey asshole did you forget that you are dumping tons of toxic chemicals into the ocean with the express purpose of keeping the oil from the surface?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Specifically, they're hard at work trying to get the cases into a single court in Texas with a judge they've paid a LOOOOOT of money to in campaign contributions.

Which Court in Texas? What Judge?

lsukalel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »

It's not the independent fisherman BP has to contend with. It's the fishing corporations that collectively dwarf BP.

They dwarf BP? Are you sure?

I'm pretty sure BP is worth more than the entire gulf coast region

override367 on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The prosecutors should immediately request a change of venue to some place like Minnesota haha.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    The prosecutors should immediately request a change of venue to some place like Minnesota haha.

Louisiana is fine. Its going to be a jury trial anyway.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

Louisiana is fine. Its going to be a jury trial anyway.

Isn't Jury/non-jury up to the defendants in civil court?

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png