As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gulf Coast Oil Spill]It Ain't Over Yet

• Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    He's talking about the market as a whole, not individual stocks.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is silly. Every stock investor worth their salt knows that it's impossible to time the market like this. The current stock price already reflects what the market knows about BP - and it certainly knows that BP is in deep shit.
    No, the market knows that there is a high liklihood that BP may be in deep shit.

And, specifically, the market can be wrong because it doesn't have all of the information (specifically it doesn't have the values that non-buyers affix to it) and it can be reacting to information echoing (Essentially one person thinks something is bad which sends a signal which make other people think its bad and so on and so forth, the original signal getting amplified by fears) or simple information manipulation(sell to induce price drop via information transmission then purchase at new lower price for a larger quantity)

BP may be a risky position, but its not a zero position.

Efficient market hypothesis assumes proper, non-manipulatable markets. Which given the prevalence of computer traders is probably unlikely.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    The biggest problem i've had with this whole spill are the failed attempts to stop/contain the flow due to the "depth" of this well. Everytime i hear "but hasn't been tested at these depths" i cringe. There is no excuse for companies that make multi billions of dollars a year in profit to not have a few backup plans that have had some kind of test at these depths, or at the very least designed with these depths in mind.

But the blame doesn't just rest with the companies. This is where the government should be mandating that if you want to drill here, you need X emergency systems in place that are appropriate for those conditions. God knows they make enough money to fund that kind of R & D.

Unfortunately they do demand these emergency systems in markets like canada, but George Bush thought they weren't important. Of course, the republicans will blame Obama instead for not acting to change the law while he wasn't even in government.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Witchdr wrote: »
    The biggest problem i've had with this whole spill are the failed attempts to stop/contain the flow due to the "depth" of this well. Everytime i hear "but hasn't been tested at these depths" i cringe. There is no excuse for companies that make multi billions of dollars a year in profit to not have a few backup plans that have had some kind of test at these depths, or at the very least designed with these depths in mind.

But the blame doesn't just rest with the companies. This is where the government should be mandating that if you want to drill here, you need X emergency systems in place that are appropriate for those conditions. God knows they make enough money to fund that kind of R & D.

Unfortunately they do demand these emergency systems in markets like canada, but George Bush thought they weren't important. Of course, the republicans will blame Obama instead for not acting to change the law while he wasn't even in government.

This is the result of bipartisan goosery. MMS was shown to be dirty in 2008, no steps were taken to clean it up under either administration. There have been 27 waivers granted for oil drilling in the Gulf since the Deepwater spill began.

I'd love it if government at any level was handling the spill appropriately, but I just don't see it happening. The EPA tells BP to stop using Corexit, BP tells them to fuck off. Nevermind the question of whether subsea dispersant should even be used in the first place, given that virtually all modern spill-cleaning techniques are based on surface oil. We have the Coast Guard and local police departments acting like BP's private security. Failure to use proper booming technique. Failure to implement a response plan calling for fire booms and in-situ burning that had been sitting around since 1994. Taking BP's word as the gospel truth about damn near everything, even though BP has a multitude of reasons to downplay the magnitude of the disaster.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I just saw video of Bobby Jindal acting self-righteous and chiding the federal government for not signing off on the construction of something called sand berms. I did a little research, and as far as I can tell a sand berm is just a wall of sand that's liable to wash away in a strong storm, which would make them a poor investment when hurricane season is just about to start. I couldn't find anything in support of the berms, though, so I still don't really understand what's going on.

Can anyone clarify why sand berms are being presented as an obvious step by Jindal, and whether or not they're liable to actually help?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    So I just saw video of Bobby Jindal acting self-righteous and chiding the federal government for not signing off on the construction of something called sand berms. I did a little research, and as far as I can tell a sand berm is just a wall of sand that's liable to wash away in a strong storm, which would make them a poor investment when hurricane season is just about to start. I couldn't find anything in support of the berms, though, so I still don't really understand what's going on.

Can anyone clarify why sand berms are being presented as an obvious step by Jindal, and whether or not they're liable to actually help?

jindal's just trying to score points off the government response by tossing out a garbage solution

that's really all there is to it

Rust on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Efforts to End Oil Flow From BP Well Are Over, Coast Guard Says

...Can they do that?

"Ah well, good run chaps. We sure did give it a go. Shall we get back to our usual 18 hole round then? I sure am in need of a good dry Martini right now."

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »

...Can they do that?

"Ah well, good run chaps. We sure did give it a go. Shall we get back to our usual 18 hole round then? I sure am in need of a good dry Martini right now."

What? But I saw them cutting the riser! If they stop now then all they did today was increase the flow of oil 10%. There's no way that's real, for the simple sake of PR they have to keep trying.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »

...Can they do that?

What? But I saw them cutting the riser! If they stop now then all they did today was increase the flow of oil 10%. There's no way that's real, for the simple sake of PR they have to keep trying.

They cut pipes on the sides of the big pipe, but I don't think they ever got to the big one.

This is BP admitting that they don't have a clue, and not making it worse by fumbling around trying.

MKR on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pretty sure they aren't quitting everything, they are just quitting trying to plug it with stuff. They are still going to try to funnel it into a tanker.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So I don't really understand the scope of things, I gotta admit. Like... how bad is this?

How many more creatures will die from this than say... Exxon Valdez?

How much more environmental impact will this have than that volcano blowing up?

How much money is the lost oil / clean-up costing us compared to Hurricane Katrina related stuff?

Other than some sad dolphin pictures and some unemployed fisherman, how is this oil spill affecting anything I actually care about?

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So I don't really understand the scope of things, I gotta admit. Like... how bad is this?

How much money is the lost oil / clean-up costing us compared to Hurricane Katrina related stuff?

Other than some sad dolphin pictures and some unemployed fisherman, how is this oil spill affecting anything I actually care about?

Exxon-Valdez impacted isolated villages.

This will affect an enormous economy within one of the world's biggest economies.

MKR on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Pretty sure they aren't quitting everything, they are just quitting trying to plug it with stuff. They are still going to try to funnel it into a tanker.

Finally someone at BP figured out how to make money from this disaster

Oh wait

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Honestly, no one really knows how bad this is going to get. Hundreds and hundreds of miles of coast line will be fouled. That's pretty much a given. But no one knows just exactly what the dispersant is doing. Adding it at the source, and then the big changes in pressure and temperature as it rises is something that's just never been done before. I've seen all kinds of talk about giant underwater plumes of oil (rumors seem to indicate there are around three), but I haven't seen anything I'd call reliable on those.

As far as what you care about? The blow to the economy is going to be felt by everyone. All those workers who have been out there this whole time with out respiration equipment are going to develop things like leukemia, lesions on their brains and nervous system damage. How many people is that? There will probably be enough exposure in some coastal areas where people who aren't working the spill may develop some serious health issues.

Drake on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Berms could possibly absorb a significant amount of oil, preventing it from reaching the marshes.

What Jindal isn't considering is that the ecology of those marshes is based around the tides, which the berms would block.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

About the same as Exxon Valdez, there's kinda a threshold beyond which everything is just as dead as it was before.

Massively more than the volcano, the volcano will just give a tiny blip in temperatures.

Hugely more than Katrina, a proper cleanup is going to take years, and require much more sophisticated techniques.

It's costing the US economy billions of dollars, and that means many people will move from contributors to taking from the federal pot of money. This means a higher strain on people who are still paying in. Also, love them or hate them, BP gave a lot of money to research in the USA, so that will also take a big hit. Also, agree or disagree this will be increasing the cost of offshore drilling, which will mean very slightly higher prices at the pumps. The gulf is also a huge source of seafood, so if you like eating fish be ready for higher prices for years.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

Berms could possibly absorb a significant amount of oil, preventing it from reaching the marshes.

What Jindal isn't considering is that the ecology of those marshes is based around the tides, which the berms would block.

The other problem is that Berms are a short term solution. If the oil is coming ashore for a week or so, you build your berms, the oil hits them and then you use dredgers to dig them out again. In this case oil may be coming ashore for a month, so the berm would be saturated and then just wash onto the shore covered in oil.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They just sheared the crap out of the pipe. Now I have to wonder why they don't modify that into a crimper...

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Because you can't get oil out of a crimped pipe would be my guess.

Drake on
  • Options
    FilFil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    They just sheared the crap out of the pipe. Now I have to wonder why they don't modify that into a crimper...

I have a strong feeling this is not how engineering works.

Fil on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Have we talked about them asking James Cameron for advice yet?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fil wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

I have a strong feeling this is not how engineering works.

Engineering is about solving problems. I don't know how hard it would be to turn that into a crimper, but it couldn't hurt to consider that.

It's already half a crimper.

MKR on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drake wrote: »

Honestly, no one really knows how bad this is going to get. Hundreds and hundreds of miles of coast line will be fouled. That's pretty much a given. But no one knows just exactly what the dispersant is doing. Adding it at the source, and then the big changes in pressure and temperature as it rises is something that's just never been done before. I've seen all kinds of talk about giant underwater plumes of oil (rumors seem to indicate there are around three), but I haven't seen anything I'd call reliable on those.

As far as what you care about? The blow to the economy is going to be felt by everyone. All those workers who have been out there this whole time with out respiration equipment are going to develop things like leukemia, lesions on their brains and nervous system damage. How many people is that? There will probably be enough exposure in some coastal areas where people who aren't working the spill may develop some serious health issues.

Lest we forget that if we get a few good hurricanes this year you've got storm surge turning into oil surge.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really love the fact that nearly every thing BP tried involved salvaging oil from the well, which, I guess is a business practical solution, if it sucked up ALL of it.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Drake wrote: »

Lest we forget that if we get a few good hurricanes this year you've got storm surge turning into oil surge.

Yeah, that's my own personal nightmare scenario. A nice category five whips up and we get a HydroCarbocane. It's like something out of a William Gibson novel.

Drake on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If we end up with a hurricane that is on fire I am LEAVING.

Serious comment: Cognisseur, this is almost certainly going to be the worst ecological disaster in American history. Especially if BP and the Coast Guard keep fucking up the cleanup efforts.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Serious comment: Cognisseur, this is almost certainly going to be the worst ecological disaster in American history. Especially if BP and the Coast Guard keep fucking up the cleanup efforts.

But even so, I'm still having difficulty seeing what that means. The economy suffers but given the state it's in I don't even know if I'll notice a difference. Gas will go up a bit? Oh no...

Like, I can get behind global warming related stuff because I can see it having a permanent effect on this planet, and that's not something you want to fuck with. But this oil spill, I understand it's a big deal but I'm still having difficulty seeing how it's a big deal for me, a non-dolphin in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm not trying to sound callous, I just think I'm missing how this affects me or affects the world in a grandscale way.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How exactly will this affect Canada? Is there some current that will move the oil into Canadian waters?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Everyone from the Gulf Coast will migrate to Canada and turn it Republican.

Drake on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I was thinking about this the other day.

It's a very real fear that a hurricane could go through the oil spill and pick up a shit ton of oil... but, is it physically possible for it to turn into a literal fire storm?

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's a very real fear that a hurricane could go through the oil spill and pick up a shit ton of oil... but, is it physically possible for it to turn into a literal fire storm?

The oil would probably be too dispersed to stay lit, so no. IIRC for the controlled burns they have to concentrate the oil before it will burn well.

Probably for the best or some random lighting strike would hit and the entire fucking Gulf would be on fire...

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'm not familiar with hurricanes - do they produce lightning?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    o I don't really understand the scope of things, I gotta admit. Like... how bad is this?

Well, think about it this way: nobody has any realistic idea of how much oil is in the artery that BP was suckling at. The worst case scenario is that the leak never stops until the entire ocean is sterilized, rendering planet Earth uninhabitable.

That's not remotely likely, but it gives you an idea of the type of scale & risk we're involved in when it comes to fucking around in the ocean.

The spill will definitely hammer the U.S. economy, the oil itself will leave scars for decades or better along the coastline, and Flying Spaghetti Monster knows how terribly the food web has been mangled. For all we know, we just totally broke the pillar of the biosphere keeping plankton around; if you enjoy breathing oxygen, that's not a good thing.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Please direct yourself to BP's website. You'll note the front page is, of course, devoted to the oil spill.

Now please note the right-hand side of the main page.
    GoM response - contacts
    U.S. Coast Guard Joint Information Center: +1 985 902 5231

Environmental hotline and community information: +1 866 448 5816

Wildlife distress hotline:
    +1 866 557 1401

Volunteers: +1 866 448 5816

Register your professional services:
    +1 281 366 5511

Vessels of Opportunity - register boats to assist with response:
    +1 281 366 5511

Do you have ideas to help us?:
    +1 281 366 5511

BP America Press Office:
    +1 281 366 0265

BP Press Office London:
    +44 20 7496 4076

Investor Relations: +1-281-366-4937

Claims: +1 800 440 0858
    www.bp.com/claims

Do you have ideas to help us?

BP is now actively soliciting ideas from the general public because they have no idea what they're doing. That's just sad.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not sure if this has been posted yet http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenpeaceuk/sets/72157623796911855/

Some logo redesigns for BP in light of the spill.

4659039355_1b4341d6ac.jpg

Aridhol on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    Please direct yourself to BP's website. You'll note the front page is, of course, devoted to the oil spill.

Now please note the right-hand side of the main page.

BP is now actively soliciting ideas from the general public because they have no idea what they're doing. That's just sad.

Eh I'm not a fan of how things are going either but seriously?

Honestly that's a point in their favor for me.

So that puts my BP favor meter at 7 out of eleven billion
    The Ender wrote: »
    SNIP

No, there's not "for all we know", you're overstating things.

It's really, really bad. It's not a global extinction event or the apocalypse
    -Loki- wrote: »

I'm not familiar with hurricanes - do they produce lightning?

Well if this actually was something that could end the world, a flaming hurricane that shoots lightning is a pretty badass way to go

override367 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So it took the Daily Show to bring this to my attention but over the last 3 years BP has had hundreds of willful safety violations, compared to every other company having less than 8 (Exxon had ONE).

BP doesn't seem like a company to admire on any level.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know, I'm probably really LTTP in learning this (Hey, it happened a couple months before I was born!), but the fact that this scenario played out 30 years ago already and the ecology recovered has actually made me a lot less stressed about the possible consequences.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    So it took the Daily Show to bring this to my attention but over the last 3 years BP has had hundreds of willful safety violations, compared to every other company having less than 8 (Exxon had ONE).

"The cost of the fine is always less than the cost of compliance."

- neatly printed somewhere in block lettering in any Endron executive's workspace.

Endron might have been fictional, but it's not hard to see where the inspiration came from. Thanks, BP.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

"The cost of the fine is always less than the cost of compliance."

- neatly printed somewhere in block lettering in any Endron executive's workspace.

Endron might have been fictional, but it's not hard to see where the inspiration came from. Thanks, BP.

That's disgusting.

Henroid on