As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Meat Boy: A game about jumping

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cheers, got it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I knew this game was a must-buy as soon as I saw that the 1st world cutscene was a SFII homage.
    As of this writing, I'm sitting at:
    TOTAL DEATHS: 1025
    TOTAL PROGRESS: 24%
    LIGHT WORLD : 33%
    DARK WORLD : 20%

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would guess The Kid warpzone alone contributed around 800 deaths for me.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Anyone know if all characters have their own warp zone, or if there's like one you need to bandage up for?
    I believe that the characters available via warp zones are a different set than those available via bandage collection.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wasn't sure if that was the case, but I think you're right. Just looked over the Giant Bomb quick look, and it doesn't seem as though Jill and The Kid are even in the screen before you unlock them via warp zone.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit you guys

one of the warp zones is designed by Terry Cavanagh, you know, the guy who made VVVVVV

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really wish there was a way to unlock the next set of levels without finishing the boss levels. The ch2 boss is no fun at all, and I'm sick of hammering my head into the no pattern fucker. Or is there a pattern that you just start at different points during? Hmm.
    Damn it, I'm going to have to go check now, aren't I?

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Near as I can tell all the bosses are consistent except for Chapter 5

By the way, Achievement for beating the game GET

3622 deaths
    72% total progress
    84% light world completion
    53% dark world completion

I'm gonna go back and get 100%.

The end boss sequence can suck my big fat cock

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It also occurs to me that the title screen is pretty symbolic of the experience in general

He's had a tooth smacked out, got a black eye but is still smiling

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does it thematically bother anyone else that Meat Boy is a new world ninja with super tiny legs? It really messes with my noodle thinking about how much energy he expends to propel himself.

I don't know why, but my mind goes to strange places when I play games like this.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The game goes to strange places without your mind ever being involved

Just don't think about it too much

Welp, I actually don't have that much to do to 100% this, gonna go for the gold!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Mr. EyeballMr. Eyeball Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not that much? Maybe up to your sadistic standards :P

Mr. Eyeball on
    vryplntwwereahisdeath.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, the only places I have to do anything are:

The glitch level in World 2
    Some of World 4
    Some of World 5
    Most of Teh Internets

The dark world version of The End
    Bandage Girl's levels

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Don't quote me on this, but I don't think The Internets is part of the completion rate, since it is essentially just bonus content. I know they don't count towards the overall leaderboard score.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so the first warp zone is called sky pup

and i beat it

but i didn't unlock any character

what is the deal

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so the first warp zone is called sky pup

and i beat it

but i didn't unlock any character

what is the deal

That's just a regular warp zone, not a character one.

Zek on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You'll know character warp zones, because you'll play the character and you'll have unlimited lives.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ahhh.

another question: how are the top 50 times for 2-12 exactly 0.00 seconds, including my friend who just got the game? what the fuck?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ahhh.

another question: how are the top 50 times for 2-12 exactly 0.00 seconds, including my friend who just got the game? what the fuck?

There's a bug that freezes the timer at 0.00. Some people who know what causes it decided to use it intentionally.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have two 0.0 second scores.

One of them was 14 when the time limit needed to pass was 12.

Yes, it gave me the A+.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When the fuck does this come out on Steam.

(Rhetorical question. I just need this in my life RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.)

I love the original flash game a ridiculous amount.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    When the fuck does this come out on Steam.

(Rhetorical question. I just need this in my life RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.)

I love the original flash game a ridiculous amount.

@Fighterlegend give us about a month, we are trying to see if its possible to launch with an editor...

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Okay, so when I loaded up Dark World 4-12 I thought to myself, "This is impossible. What the fuck."

And then I realized what I needed to do and kind of laughed to myself at the absurdity of it.

Beat it in just a few tries afterward.

That's what this game does to you!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It must have taken me about half an hour - not counting the walk I had to take my dog on to go outside and clear my head before I cracked my controller in two - but I unlocked The Kid this morning! He is making the rest of the game a lot easier, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    oh my god, 70 bandage character:
    Spelunky is fucking Iron Man

Zek on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game makes my eye twitch. In a bad way.

But I heart it so.

Edit: To clairfy, I do have 2 eyes, it just only makes 1 of them twitch. Right eye if you're curious.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    oh my god, 70 bandage character:
    Spelunky is fucking Iron Man

I actually haven't found a very consistent use for him other than giving you unbelievably fast times on the earlier levels

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is it just me or is Alien Hominid completely useless? I haven't found any good reason to use him.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is it just me or is Alien Hominid completely useless? I haven't found any good reason to use him.

He's handy on a couple of levels, pressing A and X together gives him a boost jump and further X presses give him sort of an air brake that's not as good as Jill's.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

He has easily the biggest jump in the game. Spamming the bullet at max speed as you jump carries him super far. Comes in handy in some of the big open levels.

Zek on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I remember using Alien Hominid on a handful of Hell levels, and maybe one or two Rapture levels -- his vertical leap height is huge if you time your shots well. And Jill helped me a ton with a number of Hell worlds, specifically the last one. Initially I was trying to play a "pure" game by sticking with Meat Boy, but after a while it was refreshing to try a different character and play the game more like a puzzle game: Whose abilities are going to help the most in any given level?

Once I unlocked The Kid, though, all bets were off. Using him let me buzz through Rapture with relative ease, though maybe everything else just felt that much easier after bashing my head against a spiky wall for half an hour. I really wish I had been able to save a replay from that first world.

I finished the Light World just a short while ago, and I think I need to take a break from this game for a few days, before I give myself an aneurysm. And I barely even touched the Dark World and the other stuff you unlock. So much freaking content, it's almost sickening.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm done with worlds 1, 2 and 3 and I'm one level away from completing 4 (both light and dark for all of the prior worlds). World 5 is gonna be tough but doable. And then the bonus levels! I'm very close to 100% now.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but is there ever a level with a bandage AND a warp zone?

I'm trying not to look things up, and for people who are crazy like me this might make narrowing down missing warp zones/bandages a little easier.

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but is there ever a level with a bandage AND a warp zone?

I'm trying not to look things up, and for people who are crazy like me this might make narrowing down missing warp zones/bandages a little easier.

I'm not sure but I don't think so.

This will help you narrow it down if you didn't already know: Every chapter has 7 bandages in the light world, 7 in the dark world, and 6 in warp zones.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm taking deep breaths right now, because I'm about to try and unlock The Kid. This is going to suck so much.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    I'm taking deep breaths right now, because I'm about to try and unlock The Kid. This is going to suck so much.

Good luck and godspeed. It helps to take a 10 minute break every 20 minutes or so.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    argh when is this coming out for wiiiii

i want my meaty, boyish goodness

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm guessing poor Gilder is still toiling over the cauldron of madness.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha, nah I actually finished it before my eyes bled, so I went ahead and did the rest of Rapture and the "last" world. I only got 169 deaths in The Kid's levels actually so I think it went rather well. 100 of those deaths were probably in level 2 of course.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I found the first level wayyyy harder than the second, although they were both tougher than the third by a lot

joshofalltrades on
This discussion has been closed.