Options

Crackdown: New DLC is out!

• Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    About 33% here. I doubt it'll finish before I go into university... annoying. I really can't miss my first lesson back, particularly as I'm already struggling to finish a ton of coursework and I need to confirm various details with my tutor.

But God damn it's tempting. >_>

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    krazykarl1982krazykarl1982 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Christ, this game has me sold. All I've been doing is collecting agility orbs hopping from roof to roof and mucking about on that ferris wheel. Absolutely love the animations (jumping) and graphics.

The narrator actually isnt THAT bad... I mean, I blatantly havnt played it enough and he has kinda a 60's persona to him it seems, not your.... Burnout 3 type of narration/hint guy.

krazykarl1982 on
    sig.php?tag=krazykarlito
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Christ, this game has me sold. All I've been doing is collecting agility orbs hopping from roof to roof and mucking about on that ferris wheel. Absolutely love the animations (jumping) and graphics.

The narrator actually isnt THAT bad... I mean, I blatantly havnt played it enough and he has kinda a 60's persona to him it seems, not your.... Burnout 3 type of narration/hint guy.

I guess it's my own fault for running down so many civilians.

He's just constantly getting indignant and it gets kind of old.

I kind of wish the few races I've tried were a little harder though.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    About 33% here. I doubt it'll finish before I go into university... annoying. I really can't miss my first lesson back, particularly as I'm already struggling to finish a ton of coursework and I need to confirm various details with my tutor.

i'd recommend going in to uni, otherwise it'll just set a precedent for the year.
    As much as it pains me to advise that :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, I am so not happy.

I have been waiting for this demo for over a week, now I find it'sfor gold members only.

"No problem," I say. "I'll just whip out a 48 hour free trial."

But now it won't give me my damn Gold account :(

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:

i'd recommend going in to uni, otherwise it'll just set a precedent for the year.

It's the second half of my third year, and I think I set enough precedents already long ago. ;) <_< 84%... God damn it. Knew this would happen. Can you cancel and resume a download, or something? I'm reluctant to leave the 360 on all day when - if I do go in on time - it's going to be done half an hour after I leave the house.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This game makes me smile.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am really excited for this game, I can't wait to download the demo but of course it's gonna be like 10 hours before I can, which of course is annoying but o well.

Lothars on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lothars wrote:
    I am really excited for this game, I can't wait to download the demo but of course it's gonna be like 10 hours before I can, which of course is annoying but o well.

CRACKDOWN CRACKDOWN CRACKDOWN CRACKDOWN!?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:

It's the second half of my third year, and I think I set enough precedents already long ago. ;) <_< 84%... God damn it. Knew this would happen. Can you cancel and resume a download, or something? I'm reluctant to leave the 360 on all day when - if I do go in on time - it's going to be done half an hour after I leave the house.
    i'm guessing you're long-gone, but yes, you can shut the console down and it'll keep your download progress. I managed to get about 79% done before leaving for work

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    No friends in co-op = teh GAY.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You have to start the demo with your friend (send an invite in game before you load the campaign)

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU SWITCH WEAPONS?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sharp101 wrote:
    You have to start the demo with your friend (send an invite in game before you load the campaign)

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU SWITCH WEAPONS?
    Uhhh, X.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    no way

I've tried every button!

Guh!

Thanks though.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    StolpStolp Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    Its great!

Off for a second hour of deliciousness.

Stolp on
    StarStolp.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What's with everyone having a Deadpool avatar lately?

Just downloaded. Playing now.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez, whats your gamertag?
    Think i'll hop on right now to download the demo. I got the day off.

Sanders on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow the 1up show was absolutely right hearing someone talk about the game will make it sound terrible but man playing it is so badass its insane, Lame that the demo has a timer though.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Mine is Drezdar.

Drez on
  • Options
    vinhjvinhj Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I only got a chance to play this game for a couple minutes before heading to work. Has anyone tried out all the different kinds of cars? I'm used to Saint's Row crazy cornering, so the police car I was playing with felt kind of sluggish.

Thumbs up on using the analog triggers for acceleration though.

vinhj on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

I've had a Deadpool avatar for a very long time.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    (It took me over an hour to download it, which suggests that XBLA had plenty of visitors as the 23. rolled around...)

Overview
    If you're new to Crackdown, you'll want to know that Crackdown is a sandbox game in the mold of Grand Theft Auto 3. It is set in a huge futuristic city controlled by violent gangs. You play a supercop out to end their reign of terror.

Graphics
    Crackdown looks flat out gorgeous. The screencaps and movies just don't do it justice. It has a slightly cartoony style -- characters and objects are subtly outlined -- and features clear but muted colors. There are hundreds of pedestrians and vehicles on screen at any given time, and some very impressive explosions. I have yet to see any slowdown; it is smooth sailing all the way. The actual graphical design is very cool and futuristic -- it reminds me a little of Akira.

Sound
    I kinda liked the music featured in this demo, but obviously YMMV. The effects are clear and loud, the voiceacting is adequate, and the ambient sounds really brings the city to life in Dolby 5.1.

Controls
    Crackdown controls quite well. There's nothing particularily special about the controls, but they are very precise and easy to use -- important for rooftop jumping and driving, both of which features heavily in this game. Ranged combat uses a lock-on system, but still allows for reticle-aimed fire, like Saints Row. Driving has an excellent feel to it, and there are pronounced differences between the different car models. This pleases me greatly.

Co-op
    I have yet to try out co-op, but unless there are some technical issues with co-op, I'm sure it will rule.

Other stuff
    * The demo features an accelerated experience system.
    * For some reason the demo has a 30 minute time limit once you reach the second level of firearm skill.
    * The lock-on system allows for sub-system targeting i.e you can shoot people in the head, or the wheels off of a car.
    * There are several small tutorial missions in the demo, just to get you started.

In short: I really liked the demo. It looks and plays great and the only thing holding it back is the 30 minute time limit. That does annoy me a bit. They could have given you a couple of hours. But this demo have definitely whetted my appetite for Crackdown -- I have it on preorder, and now I can hardly wait 'til the release. :)

VacuumJockey on
    PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
    ~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    (It took me over an hour to download it, which suggests that XBLA had plenty of visitors as the 23. rolled around...)

Overview
    If you're new to Crackdown, you'll want to know that Crackdown is a sandbox game in the mold of Grand Theft Auto 3. It is set in a huge futuristic city controlled by violent gangs. You play a supercop out to end their reign of terror.

Graphics
    Crackdown looks flat out gorgeous. The screencaps and movies just don't do it justice. It has a slightly cartoony style -- characters and objects are subtly outlined -- and features clear but muted colors. There are hundreds of pedestrians and vehicles on screen at any given time, and some very impressive explosions. I have yet to see any slowdown; it is smooth sailing all the way. The actual graphical design is very cool and futuristic -- it reminds me a little of Akira.

Sound
    I kinda liked the music featured in this demo, but obviously YMMV. The effects are clear and loud, the voiceacting is adequate, and the ambient sounds really brings the city to life in Dolby 5.1.

Controls
    Crackdown controls quite well. There's nothing particularily special about the controls, but they are very precise and easy to use -- important for rooftop jumping and driving, both of which features heavily in this game. Ranged combat uses a lock-on system, but still allows for reticle-aimed fire, like Saints Row. Driving has an excellent feel to it, and there are pronounced differences between the different car models. This pleases me greatly.

Co-op
    I have yet to try out co-op, but unless there are some technical issues with co-op, I'm sure it will rule.

Other stuff
    * The demo features an accelerated experience system.
    * For some reason the demo has a 30 minute time limit once you reach the second level of firearm skill.
    * The lock-on system allows for sub-system targeting i.e you can shoot people in the head, or the wheels off of a car.
    * There are several small tutorial missions in the demo, just to get you started.

In short: I really liked the demo. It looks and plays great and the only thing holding it back is the 30 minute time limit. That does annoy me a bit. They could have given you a couple of hours. But this demo have definitely whetted my appetite for Crackdown -- I have it on preorder, and now I can hardly wait 'til the release. :)

Actually the 30 minutre timer starts when ever you get level 2 of any skill.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How long does it take to get to lvl 2 in a skill? Because it isn't a 30minute demo if it takes 20minutes to get to lvl 2.

I'm pretty sure I read the demo kicks you after an hour in co-op.

Accualt on
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    How long does it take to get to lvl 2 in a skill? Because it isn't a 30minute demo if it takes 20minutes to get to lvl 2.

I'm pretty sure I read the demo kicks you after an hour in co-op.

Getting to level 2 in a skill isn't that tough. It counts down the 30 minutes from when you get to level 2 though, so if it takes you 20 minutes, you have another 30 after that.

The game does kick you after 60 minutes, but not just in co-op. It did it in single player too.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sharp101 wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I've had a Deadpool avatar for a very long time.

Deadpool has also been awesome for a long time. Dunno why he would suddenly show up alot. Did deadpool hit mainstream when I wasn't looking?

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    About skill levels...when you load the demo it says "Demo Mode: Accelerated Skill Growth."

So, it won't be as fast in the full game.

For instance, there are 500 Agility Orbs. After getting two, I got one level in Agility, but I'm assuming it takes more than that in the full game. I also think I maxed out Firearms.

Drez on
  • Options
    swiftswift Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ive played it through once and its pretty enjoyable. I dont get all these people saying it looks gorgeous though, the graphics seemed pretty average to me.

swift on
    nexx360.png
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For us poor jamokes who are stuck at the office and haven't DLed yet: how big of a map does the demo offer? Do you get the full city to play around in?

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Gives you one section of the city controlled by the Los Muertes.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Which is huge, yes.

Drez on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    swift wrote:
    Ive played it through once and its pretty enjoyable. I dont get all these people saying it looks gorgeous though, the graphics seemed pretty average to me.
    ive only seen the screenshots and low-res trailers, and i can safely say you are insane.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sweet. Large map + up to an hour of demo time = win.

30 to 60 minutes is plenty for a sandbox demo running on a time limit, especially if the map is big. Now if we were talking about the time limit the Hulk UD demo had going on, well, that would be ass.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it possible for someone that was annoyed by the crappy missions (MY opinion) in GTA and doesn't want to pay $60 just to drive around and shoot things will like this game? I'm trying to find more reasons to get it than just the Halo 3 Beta.

Lach on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lach wrote:
    Is it possible for someone that was annoyed by the crappy missions (MY opinion) in GTA and doesn't want to pay $60 just to drive around and shoot things will like this game? I'm trying to find more reasons to get it than just the Halo 3 Beta.

You can throw cars at people.
    You can throw the car your buddy is driving in at people in co-op mode.

I can't wait to try the demo. I know it isn't going to be as varied and fun as Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction but its the best thing I"m going to get with next-gen graphics for a long time.

Accualt on
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love the fact that so many 360 games are supporting co-op. This really has sold a few games for me, or at least made me feel like I got my money's worth.

I'm going to try this demo later tonight.

Lach on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    man, this game is going to be all kinds of rad if this demo is any indication.

i cant stop playing it.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    AtomicBananaAtomicBanana Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well worth getting up early to download :D Me and my mate played this in co-op all afternoon - as soon as one game ended, started up another one right away :D

It's really, really well crafted, to get all this shit in, and have full co-op is just awesome. Such driving along and watching you buddy blow shit loads of stuff all over the place and it all reacts perfectly.

Why is the full game so far away :'( haha

AtomicBanana on
    isonline.AtomicBanana.gif Atomique+Banana.gif
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    man, this game is going to be all kinds of rad if this demo is any indication.

i cant stop playing it.

I've played the demo 4 or 5 times now, and I think my favorite skill is Explosives. Agility is a close second, but it's basically a required skill.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The demo was pretty sweet, but i don't like how easy it is to max some of the skills. I know it will take longer in the full version, but seeing as i managed to max both strength and agility in the demo alone, it kind of takes away the coolness. They should have put some kind of experience cap in the demo.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg