Options

Crackdown: New DLC is out!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Right now I'm trying to glitch my way through the big blue barrier and onto the other islands. No luck yet, but I don't give up easy.

For the interested, you know how the controls list "Agency Tech" for the B button? Well, here's what it means:

If you up your driving skill to four stars each of the Agency vehicles gets what I would call "awesome-ized" and gains a special move in place of the crappy horn everything else has (except the Police Cruiser which has a siren).

Agency Supercar (looks like the fuckin' batmobile when maxed): Twin machine guns. Hold down B and mow down EVERYTHING

Agency Truck Cab: Some kind of turbo charger that makes it go really damn fast and accelerate really damn fast.

Agency SUV: Hold down B and it grips the ground for ultra cornering, release B before five seconds have passed to Jump. Also, if you're holding B you can grip walls and scale vertical surfaces. It will auto-release after about five seconds, but if you're quick and release and press B again at the right time you can keep going. I managed to get the SUV up to the top of the Pacific City Bank tower doing this. I also did some jumping from billboard to billboard.

FUCK. ING. AWESOME.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How big is the city in comparison to any of the GTAs or Saints Row?

bruin on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I managed to get the SUV up to the top of the Pacific City Bank tower doing this. I also did some jumping from billboard to billboard.

FUCK. ING. AWESOME.
    Holy fucking hell that's cool.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    played it some more. mother fuck, im so glad this is coming out on my birthday. awesome game for free HOOOOOO.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Once I get a 360, I plan on downloading this first and foremost.

Then playing Lost Planet and Dead Rising.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    CriptCript Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, hows the gun play? Does it use a lock-on system, or can you manualy aim like in Saints Row?

Cript on
    Dirty+RNA.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cript wrote:
    So, hows the gun play? Does it use a lock-on system, or can you manualy aim like in Saints Row?

Both. You can also aim at specific body parts.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cript wrote:

How specific?

Will I be able to shoot off thumbs?

Break some kneecaps?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cript wrote:

How specific?

Will I be able to shoot off thumbs?

Break some kneecaps?

Left arm, right arm {shoot off weapons}, left leg, right left, torso, head. At least thats what I notice when the little picture came up next to the guy I was shooting. Tells ya where ya hit.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    IncendiusIncendius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DeMoN wrote:
    The demo was pretty sweet, but i don't like how easy it is to max some of the skills. I know it will take longer in the full version, but seeing as i managed to max both strength and agility in the demo alone, it kind of takes away the coolness. They should have put some kind of experience cap in the demo.

Didn't the end end mention an "even more evolved agent with more extreme abilities" or something? Maybe we can throw boats at people or something?

Incendius on
  • Options
    Substance6Substance6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    I managed to get the SUV up to the top of the Pacific City Bank tower doing this. I also did some jumping from billboard to billboard.

FUCK. ING. AWESOME.
    Holy fucking hell that's cool.

D: (shock and awe)

No, that's remarkable. I've been playing the demo a lot, and it's addictive. In one play round i'll max out the agility and strength, because, well, picking up buses and tankers and hucking them off of buildings to see them land on bad dudes is fun.

Anyone else just feel like a badass leaping from building to building, locking onto guys in mid-air and such? My favourite moments are just urban freeflowing to get to the next supply point, etc.

It's a shame that driving sucks, terribly. Random cars are worthless, the only things worth driving are your special cars, and I lose track of them after a good bout of killing and throwing people into other people.

Substance6 on
    bill.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the only things worth driving are your special cars, and I lose track of them after a good bout of killing and throwing people into other people.

I totally agree. They need a Radar Icon or something for it.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is gonna sound strange, but...

Crackdown is like the mutant offspring of Super Mario 64, GTA, and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction!

I mean, it's got the platforming action of Mario, the urban landscape of GTA, and the asskicking of Hulk, just better.

A buff Mario with a BFG and an attitude. I love it!

VacuumJockey on
    PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
    ~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sharp101 wrote:
    the only things worth driving are your special cars, and I lose track of them after a good bout of killing and throwing people into other people.

I totally agree. They need a Radar Icon or something for it.

Well, according to the website the game's gone gold already, so I think you're out of luck there. Maybe in the next one.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    11 hours after downloading and it's at 85%.

Wheeeee! :(

Iriah on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Iriah wrote:
    11 hours after downloading and it's at 85%.

Wheeeee! :(

Yeah, I found it at 44% when I woke up. I ended up restarting the demo several times before it finally downloaded.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The bosses are... um... lame.

The only mission I thought was kind of fun was the Violetta Sanchez one because you're running through that huge apartment complex area.

Martinez is the first one, so he's kind of just out in the open, not bad.

Guerra's okay, I guess, since there are so many different ways to approach the nightclub.

The weightlifter guy looks cool, but I wasn't exactly threatened by him. However, he DID have a grenade launcher which I picked up and took to a supply point, so that's fun.

Note: Grenade Launcher seems to be pinpoint accurate when locked on. I mean, insanely accurate. Locked on and firing from a mile away and hitting 'em in the face type accurate.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Grenade launcher: yeah, 1Up did mention that.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, is there a time limit cap on the demo or anything?

My buddies and I are going to download this after work for the co-op.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So, I just upped myself to Level 4 in automotives, driving... call it what you will, but it was damn time consuming. Running over dudes got annoying.

But the upgraded cars are really, really fun. The most fun being the cab truck. It's slow to get going, but when it's fully upgraded and has boost, this thing screams down long straightaways and highways. And, if anyone has played Saints Row, it's like driving an 18 Wheeler in Saints, but a lot better. In Crackdown, if you're barreling down a road, cars are literally flying. They're spinning, three at a time, in mid-air, exploding, twirling, all while you're hitting other cars on the road and sending them flying. It's really visceral, satisfying, pick an adjective.

The Roadster is fun, but not nearly as fun as the cab. The machine gun you get isn't really as powerful as I thought it would be, but it helps. Also, hitting cars head on while speeding doesn't slow you down at all. You're pretty much treated like a ramp speeding toward the car, and anything you hit, people, cars, trucks, buses, dumpsters, are sent flying off of you as if you were a treadmill pointing 45 degrees up behind you. It kind of gets boring after a while. Also, yes, it looks like the fucking batmobile on steroids when it's upgraded. The greatest thing about having this car and being at Level 4 is watching it go through all of the upgrades as you get in. Jesus Christ.

Nope, it's not a best for last deal. The SUV is fun, and jumping around is ridiculous (coming out of your hideout, and hitting the ramp and jumping, makes you do this huge frontflip). The gripping-the-road is helpful, but it isn't really that much of a bonus seeing as how much effort is going to be put into it in the final release. Climbing up walls didn't work too well, I tried driving and then jumping at them, trying to cling, but that never worked for me. I just drove head-first into a wall, held B, and it slowly dragged itself up. The camera gets screwy, and after 30 feet of vertical awesomeness, the SUV becomes unable to hold on any longer and falls backwards.

Well, i'm done playing this. I don't want to spoil myself any further.

Substance6 on
    bill.jpg
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tried the demo today and it was pretty fun stuff. I like the skill ups. And jumping from building to building was hi-larious.

That said I don't think it will be a buy. I bought the GTA pack and was bored as hell with them after a couple hours. This will prolly get a rent.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are you stuck with the black buff dude that's been in every screenshot or can you choose your characters appearance?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So is this basically "if you liked GTA you will love this because you get fucking superpowers" thing?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Not...really. Not all sandbox games are GTA games. This seems to have more in common with Mercenaries or Hulk: Ultimate Destruction than GTA.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Substance6 wrote:
    Nope, it's not a best for last deal. The SUV is fun, and jumping around is ridiculous (coming out of your hideout, and hitting the ramp and jumping, makes you do this huge frontflip). The gripping-the-road is helpful, but it isn't really that much of a bonus seeing as how much effort is going to be put into it in the final release. Climbing up walls didn't work too well, I tried driving and then jumping at them, trying to cling, but that never worked for me. I just drove head-first into a wall, held B, and it slowly dragged itself up. The camera gets screwy, and after 30 feet of vertical awesomeness, the SUV becomes unable to hold on any longer and falls backwards.

Well, i'm done playing this. I don't want to spoil myself any further.

Funny, I had no trouble timing my release/press B to continue clinging to walls and such for as long I wanted. I even drove on the underside of the freeway for a while. Sadly, the big blue barrier that keeps you from the rest of the islands can't be gripped by the SUV. (This means the wall-climbing thing is something they knew about... AKA: Awesome.)

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Why is this a gold member only demo?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can you jump out of the car as it's moving?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Taramoor wrote:
    I even drove on the underside of the freeway for a while.
    Wow.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Why is this a Goldmember only demo?
    Because they love...GOOOOOLLD

Renzo on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Silpheed wrote:
    Are you stuck with the black buff dude that's been in every screenshot or can you choose your characters appearance?

You choose your characters appearance.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why is this a gold member only demo?
    to try and encourage people to take out gold memberships: more money for MS, and also might help control the amount of downloads bombarding their servers

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sharp101 wrote:
    Silpheed wrote:

From 8 other agents.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sharp101 wrote:
    Silpheed wrote:

I like the Odin-looking badass with one eye and scars all over his face.

Goth-Agent is not for me.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Maxed out strength is awesome, not only for the ability to throw cars at people, but roundhousing them into oblivion.

Yeah.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Since the 360 comes with a Gold Membership, I can download this and after it runs out I keep it?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Taramoor wrote:
    Sharp101 wrote:
    Silpheed wrote:

Are there any screenshots of the different appearences you can choose?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Silpheed wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:
    Sharp101 wrote:
    Silpheed wrote:

Are there any screenshots of the different appearences you can choose?
    1164243683.jpg
    1164243997.jpg
    1164245089.jpg
    p2
    p2
    p1
    p1
    p1

Iriah on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alright, I got a good session in (about an hour), and I gotta say it's better than I thought it would be. Hell, I was enjoying myself just jumping from rooftop to rooftop collecting more agility orbs.

Question time: Is lvl 4 the max lvl for all skills? Or will it be higher in the retail version?

Exactly how accelerated is the exp gain in the demo?

What do you do after you max everything out?

Are there other cool unlockables and things to be had?

Do you get to upgrade your appearance after a while?

I have many more questions... but lets just stick with those for now.

kriegs on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    kriegs wrote:
    Question time: Is lvl 4 the max lvl for all skills? Or will it be higher in the retail version?

Exactly how accelerated is the exp gain in the demo?

What do you do after you max everything out?

Are there other cool unlockables and things to be had?

Do you get to upgrade your appearance after a while?

I have many more questions... but lets just stick with those for now.
    1. Max
    2. Very.
    3. Whatever you want
    4. Unknown
    5. They'll be releasing agent skins as DLC, but otherwise no.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Anyone get outside of the game barrier, yet? I'm trying to get hit, really fast, and ragdoll through it, but it's not as easy as Saints Row is. Also, driving REALLY REALLY REALLY (really!) fast and ramming it doesn't glitch you through it, either.

edit: spelling

Substance6 on
    bill.jpg