Options

Crackdown: New DLC is out!

• Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hmm, the demo was quite fun. Gaining levels in agility makes for fun times - jumping through the city is just cool. Kinda like the jetpack from San Andreas, except more fun, for some reason.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think i might actually hold off on the demo. Reading this has pretty much confirmed what I was already looking forward to, and it's basically a guaranteed buy. And I really don't wanna spoil the mechanics by leveling up super fast and losing the thrill of working for it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Downloading the demo. Hopefully one of you fine folks will be up for co-op later.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd be up for co-op if I could connect to anyone I wanted to play with. Tried connecting to revolve and he to me about ten times or more but no matter what he didn't show up on my list, or vice versa. I guess they wanted to keep the experience of drop in/drop out, invites and such for the full product, but it's still a tad annoying...

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jebral wrote:
    Maxed out strength is awesome, not only for the ability to throw cars at people, but roundhousing them into oblivion.

Yeah.

My roommate walked in just as a Destroyed a guy with a running roundhouse.

His reaction

:shock: :D What the fuck is this?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sharp101 wrote:
    Jebral wrote:
    Maxed out strength is awesome, not only for the ability to throw cars at people, but roundhousing them into oblivion.

Yeah.

My roommate walked in just as a Destroyed a guy with a running roundhouse.

His reaction

:shock: :D What the fuck is this?

Being a good designer means never having to say "Now Loading..."

Crackdown is great.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    I think i might actually hold off on the demo. Reading this has pretty much confirmed what I was already looking forward to, and it's basically a guaranteed buy. And I really don't wanna spoil the mechanics by leveling up super fast and losing the thrill of working for it.

My thoughts exactly. I'm leaving the demo alone.

What I have heard now from folks whos opinions' I trust have simply confirmed the volumes of awesome I was already convinced this game contained back shortly after E3, and after the last bunch of gameplay walkthrough clips.

Bought, bought and triple bought, I do not intend to dilute the experience with a demo for the next month (like I did with Dead Rising!)

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yep i would probably suggest leaving the demo alone

you max out the powers like its nothing, not sure why the hell they didnt put an exp cap.

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    anyone wanna play this with me?

GT - Hoe SLAPPA

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Managed to co-op with a friend of mine twice, which makes the game even funner.

We were in the middle of a large battle, 30 or so gang members shooting and tossing grenades, and we were jumping roof to roof fighting them and trying to get to the "boss" guy. Well, I make one of the final jumps to the next roof top and look behind just in time to see the roof I just jumped from explode with my friend still on it. He went flying off in the air on fire with a bunch of other flaming objects. He would of survived too if it weren't for the 20 story drop.

Also, no lag at all in co-op, even when 4 lanes of traffic are exploding. A most awesome game.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neva wrote:
    Managed to co-op with a friend of mine twice, which makes the game even funner.

We were in the middle of a large battle, 30 or so gang members shooting and tossing grenades, and we were jumping roof to roof fighting them and trying to get to the "boss" guy. Well, I make one of the final jumps to the next roof top and look behind just in time to see the roof I just jumped from explode with my friend still on it. He went flying off in the air on fire with a bunch of other flaming objects. He would of survived too if it weren't for the 20 story drop.

Also, no lag at all in co-op, even when 4 lanes of traffic are exploding. A most awesome game.

They've shown the rocket launcher in some of the co-op footage. Apparently there's a regular one with a very large explosion and a homing version with slightly less kick to it.

I can't find either one in the demo, but I imagine that a homing rocket launcher would change the co-op dynamic.

I've seen this game compared to River City Ransom, I don't believe that's completely unfounded.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ultrapeanutultrapeanut Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Goodbye, $60.

Kicking someone into his buddies and watching them all topple like bowling pins, then leaping twenty feet through the air, shooting someone, and landing on another bad guy's skull... god, it's all so fucking FUN. It's like a toy made of seemingly perpetual bliss.
    bruin wrote:
    How big is the city in comparison to any of the GTAs or Saints Row?
    I don't know exactly how it matches up to San Andreas or Saints Row, but the demo area is only a quarter or so of the overall map, and it feels reasonably huge. It's made all the bigger by the nooks and crannies, as well as lively rooftops, that are brought into play by the incredibly fun vertical travel aspect of the game. I could just jump and scale buildings for perhaps literally days.
    Taramoor wrote:
    Sharp101 wrote:
    Silpheed wrote:
    Are you stuck with the black buff dude that's been in every screenshot or can you choose your characters appearance?

You choose your characters appearance.

I like the Odin-looking badass with one eye and scars all over his face.

Goth-Agent is not for me.
    I'm currently a fan of the Maori Agent. If only he did the haka before taking down bosses.

ultrapeanut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really wish there were more moves to do.

It's cool that you can jump higher, and you can kick harder, and your bullets do more damage, and everything... but it would've been much cooler if you could do wall jumps, or throw a punch combo, or anything besides the one move per button you start with.

Still quite amusing, though.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like how killing one of their gang members cause the gang to not be able to work out in the gym properly anymore. It's so stupid, but great at the same time

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That was worth the time it took to download.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Just a tiny note.

Stunt Rings are fuckin' hard.

I've only seen like seven, but they're all hard to get to.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wait... the demos out?! what the fuck am I doing here?!

blakfeld on
  • Options
    BbajBbaj Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Awesome...my demo is downloading slightly faster than a snail.

Bbaj on
  • Options
    coffin joecoffin joe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is there a limit to how far away you can get from your co-op bud?

I'm thinking it would look quite cool to watch your partner fuck shit up on the street from up on a high building. Then throw down a few grenades for good mesure.

Or see a chain of explosions erupt way off in the city and go "Ah..That's where the cocksucker went off too..." :P

coffin joe on
    I can smell ants.
  • Options
    SketchTheArtistSketchTheArtist Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gold Members only? I'm like 'Sure! My Live account ends around this week!'. It ended TODAY! Fuck! So I take out one of my 48 Hours code for Gold Members and then I notice that I can't download it! I look on the card and it says in TINY letters that only Online Gameplay is ok with this trial and not some of the Gold Members features....FUUUUCCCCKKK!!!!

If MS would've hurried up with their certification, I would have gotten it last week with my still-active Gold Membership!!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    coffin joe wrote:

I'm thinking it would look quite cool to watch your partner fuck shit up on the street from up on a high building. Then throw down a few grenades for good mesure.

Or see a chain of explosions erupt way off in the city and go "Ah..That's where the cocksucker went off too..." :P

No limit.

You can actually snipe your co-op partner on the ferris wheel from atop The Keep.

Not that I tried or anything... :)

Taramoor on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is a download time of over 2 hours normal? Im still waiting . . .

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    warder808 wrote:
    Is a download time of over 2 hours normal? Im still waiting . . .
    I got it in 10-15 minutes. But then again I am awesome.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If I restart do I have to start from the beginning?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, so co-op is kind of fun, though I've only been messing around with random pub guys. Again, be nice to get on with someone from PA, but their setup routine they've done for this demo is awful. :( I hear it separates people onto different servers automatically, so I guess you've either no chance or a varying random chance of playing with a specific person. <_<

I still don't know if this is a buy for me. Sometimes I really like it, sometimes I tire of it. Odd game... I think the total lack of any real story would ultimately hurt it for me, despite what GTA creator likes to think. It's fun to mess around, but only so much fun, I suspect... obviously some people will be happy playing with dolls, as it were, but I'm probably never going to be totally one of them.

EDIT:
    warder808 wrote:

Not sure what you mean, so: if you start a new game, you start from the beginning again, yes. There's no saving between plays of the demo. If you die while playing, you restart from any of the storehouses you've unlocked, with all the stat increases - and I assume the weaponry - you've acquired up until that point.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    warder808 wrote:
    No, in many cases the download may actually be farther than it last appeared.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Has anyone tried using the Invite system in the blade itself to get into a game with people?

I mean:

1. Host an open Game
    2. Open the Guide menu
    3. Invite a friend from your friends list.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    NikolisNikolis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ya, it didn't work, but its not hard to get a game on with a buddy. Just do private chat, make all your preferences the same, then once one of you host, he can look for your name, and in the mean time, if anyone else tries to join, boot em.

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Taramoor wrote:
    coffin joe wrote:

No limit.

You can actually snipe your co-op partner on the ferris wheel from atop The Keep.

Not that I tried or anything... :)

The game is amazing in that respect. On one of the missions where you have to take out a recruiter lady thats on the roof of a 15 story or so apartment complex, you have bad guys everywhere on every level. Watching my teammate from the roof blow stuff up on the ground level with no lag or bugs is great.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    CatrelStevensCatrelStevens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Anyone else have a problem with the "Peacekeepers" continually trying to cap your ass? I would drop in on a firefight between the peacekeepers and a gang, kill all the gang members (making sure not to hurt any peacekeepers) and when there are no more gang members to fight, the peacekeepers just start shooting at me. I try to run and they start following me. I cap a few of them to get them to stop and that just pisses 'em off more.

What are you supposed to do in this situation? Do you just run and eventually they will stop selecting you as a target?

(Also, I think the 30 minute limit after you reach agility level 2 is stupid. Other than that, this demo was a fun way to start my day.)

Fake Edit - Also, I have to say that this game kicks ass just for the uber-aciton movie moments you can make with it. I found a big roadblock constructed with a bunch of debris and a few exploding barrels. I shot the barrels while running towards the barricade. Some gang members were on the other side shooting at me as I ran straight at them. The barrels blew up and every part of the barricade went flying in a different direction in a huge wall of flames. I leap into the flames as a car that was part of the barricade comes crashing down. I emerge on the other side of the flames unscathed, land on the roof of the burnt-out car and drop 3 gang members around me in quick succession. They must have been shitting themselves when they saw me fly through the fire.

CatrelStevens on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Anyone else have a problem with the "Peacekeepers" continually trying to cap your ass? I would drop in on a firefight between the peacekeepers and a gang, kill all the gang members (making sure not to hurt any peacekeepers) and when there are no more gang members to fight, the peacekeepers just start shooting at me. I try to run and they start following me. I cap a few of them to get them to stop and that just pisses 'em off more.

I thought they were shooting at me too, but I didn't pay too much attention. I just shot everything that had a yellow flashing tag over them, which at times looked like the peace keepers, so I just figured it was a bug or corrupted cops. Either way, they never chased me or cause any problems thus far.

Neva on

• Options
    BbajBbaj Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Very enjoyable demo. Though I spent most of my time jumping from rooftop to rooftop trying to increase my agility. But it was fun.

Bbaj on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Okay, this was kind of funny.

Co-op game, taking on that Nightclub area. I died since it was on the highest difficulty, and my co-op partner was near death with a big group of guys with shotguns bearing down on him.

So he picked up my body at threw it at them, killing five guys and leveling up his strength in the process. The levelup managed to knock the remaining guys away long enough for him to jump out and swim to safety.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Taramoor wrote:
    Okay, this was kind of funny.

Co-op game, taking on that Nightclub area. I died since it was on the highest difficulty, and my co-op partner was near death with a big group of guys with shotguns bearing down on him.

So he picked up my body at threw it at them, killing five guys and leveling up his strength in the process. The levelup managed to knock the remaining guys away long enough for him to jump out and swim to safety.

I really can't wait for the full game, just because of moments like those are so damn awesome.

Quick question though. How do you raise the difficulty on the co-op play?

Neva on

• Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Its in the same place as the character select.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I found the grenade launcher.

It's fun.

Iriah on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Iriah wrote:
    I found the grenade launcher.

It's fun.
    I had fun with a Para I found. Considering my CS:S skillz, I found it very appropriate.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    StupornautStupornaut Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You know how in GTA when you flip your car and it catches on fire and you crawl out and run away and the car blows up and you wind up on foot and there's no other cars anywhere nearby and you have to run for several minutes and it sucks?

Not a problem here. A GTA-style game where running around is fun. I cannot believe it, but there it is.

Also, am I insane or is the narrator the exact same guy who does the voiceover for "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong" on Chappelle's Show?

Stupornaut on

Stupornaut.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Stupornaut wrote:
    You know how in GTA when you flip your car and it catches on fire and you crawl out and run away and the car blows up and you wind up on foot and there's no other cars anywhere nearby and you have to run for several minutes and it sucks?

Not a problem here. A GTA-style game where running around is fun. I cannot believe it, but there it is.

Also, am I insane or is the narrator the exact same guy who does the voiceover for "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong" on Chappelle's Show?

Check the credits.

I always check the credits for familiar names now in games where I have the option.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It is so much fun to throw a car full of gang members at other pedestrian gang members. Also, hitting the female gang boss lady with a shotgun to knock her down, then setting her aflame with a grenade, to kick her 30 feet off of the roof of the tall building to fall to her death (where she killed an underling with her mass) might be my greatest gaming moment of some time.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png