Options

Crackdown: New DLC is out!

• Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, Crackdown.

When it was first showed a few E3s ago, I thought it would suck. It looked pretty bad, there wasn't alot of information about it out there. I just assumed it would suck.

Then this year, reports started coming in of media people saying "no, it's shaping up good." I still didn't believe them.

Well, now I believe them. Jesus Christ this game is good. I do hope the retail version takes a TON of time to level up, but man. This game has everything I like. Big explosions, super jumping, cars and explosions of the cars, guns, a huge world, platforming, and black people.

Man.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played my demo until it kicked me out. I killed a couple of bosses, but mostly spent time upping my agility and racing from rooftop to rooftop. I felt like the Tick. This game just went from being something to avoid to something I need.

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zorak15 wrote:
    I played my demo until it kicked me out. I killed a couple of bosses, but mostly spent time upping my agility and racing from rooftop to rooftop. I felt like the Tick. This game just went from being something to avoid to something I need.
    SPOON!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    [spoiler:96b3091b25]the last boss is chairface[/spoiler:96b3091b25]

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Recoil42 wrote:
    [spoiler:fa552b605f]the last boss is chairface[/spoiler:fa552b605f]

[realspoiler:fa552b605f]From what I understand, it's actually a wrinkled old asian man with one-eye named Wang. Not kidding.[/realspoiler:fa552b605f]

Taramoor on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, something new and kind of fun.

If you wait for a while, the bosses show up automatically, whether you go to that first supply point or not. So I figure, what if I kill all the bosses really fast and just wait around?

Doing so yielded a picture and text description for a boss called "Rafael Diaz" who is on the island north of the one you have access to with the demo. He apparently inhabits a giant chop shop/garage/race track up north.

Also, if you don't get any supply points until after Diaz shows up you get an additional boss. "Natalya Gryzunova" who is on the island in the southeast corner of the large map.

Neither of these bosses have videos that accompany them, since they're not in the demo, but I thought it was cool.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nothing is more satisfying, then maxing out your strength, going on a highway, and laying waste to all cars that come at you.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Karf wrote:
    So, Crackdown.

When it was first showed a few E3s ago, I thought it would suck. It looked pretty bad, there wasn't alot of information about it out there. I just assumed it would suck.

Then this year, reports started coming in of media people saying "no, it's shaping up good." I still didn't believe them.

Well, now I believe them. Jesus Christ this game is good. I do hope the retail version takes a TON of time to level up, but man. This game has everything I like. Big explosions, super jumping, cars and explosions of the cars, guns, a huge world, platforming, and black people.

Man.
    i'd heard nothing of it until a large Edge feature last summer. It looked interesting, so i took the time out to scour the pages for information on it. Since then, it's only looked better and better.

And a possible Halo 3 beta bonus with my purchase? Why Ambassador, with these, you are really spoiling us :winky:

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    mrgenericmrgeneric __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    am i the only person completely underwhelmed by the demo? maybe i'm just so burnt out on the whole sandbox genre (saint's row felt like the nail in the coffin) that even the inclusion of car-flipping roundhouse kicks and roof-spanning jumps don't impress me. the aiming system annoys me to no end, the driving seems horribly off.. i'm just not a fan of how the entire thing is presented.

what a disappointment, this is one of the first-quarter 2007 games that i was really looking forward to playing - i figured it would be a sure buy. i mean, i played san andreas for hours upon hours and continued to find entertainment.. a next-gen sandbox game with a massive futuristic backdrop and sweet-ass superpowers? how did microsoft manage to mess this up? :D

oh well, with guitar hero 2 coming out in march and lost planet still on my 'buy' list it's probably best that there's not another killer game out there to suck up gaming funds.

mrgeneric on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mrgeneric wrote:
    am i the only person completely underwhelmed by the demo? maybe i'm just so burnt out on the whole sandbox genre (saint's row felt like the nail in the coffin) that even the inclusion of car-flipping roundhouse kicks and roof-spanning jumps don't impress me. the aiming system annoys me to no end, the driving seems horribly off.. i'm just not a fan of how the entire thing is presented.

what a disappointment, this is one of the first-quarter 2007 games that i was really looking forward to playing - i figured it would be a sure buy. i mean, i played san andreas for hours upon hours and continued to find entertainment.. a next-gen sandbox game with a massive futuristic backdrop and sweet-ass superpowers? how did microsoft manage to mess this up? :D

oh well, with guitar hero 2 coming out in march and lost planet still on my 'buy' list it's probably best that there's not another killer game out there to suck up gaming funds.

You're burned out. Walk away from sandbox games for a while.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mrgeneric wrote:
    how did microsoft manage to mess this up? :D
    just to be pedantic, it's developed by Realtime Worlds (founded by one of the DMA guys, who worked on the original GTA games)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    mrgeneric wrote:

You're burned out. Walk away from sandbox games for a while.
    He's totally an anti-shill. Perhaps a Sony-shill.

Imagine, if you will, taking the strands of DNA of a person, and then reversing every single sub-protein (or whatever they are, cytosine and etc.) and making them back in to a human.

He's what you'd get if you did that to Syndalis.

Iriah on
  • Options
    namelessnameless Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Iriah wrote:
    Imagine, if you will, taking the strands of DNA of a person, and then reversing every single sub-protein (or whatever they are, cytosine and etc.) and making them back in to a human.

He's what you'd get if you did that to Syndalis.

Nitrogenous base. Cytosine, adenine, thymine, and guanine are nitrogenous bases.

nameless on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Now I wish I would've brought my 360 here to campus. This isn't multi-platform, is it?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    Now I wish I would've brought my 360 here to campus. This isn't multi-platform, is it?
    no sir. In short, you're missing out.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, ever since this game was announced, I've had no feeling for it at all. None. Whatsoever. Even when they kept tossing around the GTA relationship with the developer. I always thought the still shots of the in-game were crap and that the cel-shading was either there or it wasn't and what the hell is the point in all that?

The demo... it has converted me. It gives me that Hulk: Ultimate Destruction vibe. It gives me that GTA "no, I'm not gonna do your stupid missions because I'm too busy blowing shit up for no reason" vibe. It takes those two vibes and then it fucks me in the brain sideways.

It's not perfect, that's for sure, but what is here is nice and it looks and plays great.

Now I'm looking forward to next month and it pleases me to know that the game isn't just a pile of shit with a Halo 3 beta slapped on top of it.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    MastervastereMastervastere Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I'm the only person that thought this looked great from the start!

Flawless fun for me. I must have played the demo 5+ times already...

Mastervastere on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So regarding the Halo 3 Beta thing...

The EB Games website seems to imply that all pre-orders will have the invite. I can't tell if I'm reading too much into it or not. Any retail employees that can shed light on this?

Oh, yeah, and I thought the game was hella fun too. After a while I stopped using the guns and just started roundhousing everyone.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    see, i want to play the demo loads, because obviously, it's fun and there's plenty of potential for finding more fun. However, i don't want to ruin the full thing for myself. Obviously you'll have to spend longer levelling up your abilities, and if i'm already used to having maxed-out skills, i could see that just being a frustration. Conundrum!

in other news, while i'm fully aware that i've not played the full product, and there are plenty of potential variables, i'm just gonna go ahead and predict a mid 80s score from Gamespot. It's certainly a very good game, and there's plenty here in the demo that's allayed my fears, but i think the lack of a more tightly integrated storyline (doesn't look like it's really essential to the game, which i'm happy with but might bother others), and probably some of the control mechanics will get it marked down a bit. But i'm just speculating while bored at work. Ignore me.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    see, i want to play the demo loads, because obviously, it's fun and there's plenty of potential for finding more fun. However, i don't want to ruin the full thing for myself. Obviously you'll have to spend longer levelling up your abilities, and if i'm already used to having maxed-out skills, i could see that just being a frustration. Conundrum!

in other news, while i'm fully aware that i've not played the full product, and there are plenty of potential variables, i'm just gonna go ahead and predict a mid 80s score from Gamespot. It's certainly a very good game, and there's plenty here in the demo that's allayed my fears, but i think the lack of a more tightly integrated storyline (doesn't look like it's really essential to the game, which i'm happy with but might bother others), and probably some of the control mechanics will get it marked down a bit. But i'm just speculating while bored at work. Ignore me.

You give Gamespot too much credit. They'll give it a 7.9 at the most. IGN? 9.1.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LCDXX wrote:
    darleysam wrote:

apparently i also forget how gamespot score their games!
    i figure it's a game that, from the hype, would be expected to get a 9+ score (a 'must-buy' title), but while it's very fun to play, it's probably not the most.. coherent title. There might not a huge driving reason to invest your time and money in the game, beyond its sandboxey nature (i could be wrong, and i'm more than happy to be). While i think that I, and many others, will still get much enjoyment out of this, its that sort of point that can get a game marked down. But you, sir, have a bet. What are we betting with? Why, pride and honour.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    LCDXX wrote:
    darleysam wrote:

apparently i also forget how gamespot score their games!
    i figure it's a game that, from the hype, would be expected to get a 9+ score (a 'must-buy' title), but while it's very fun to play, it's probably not the most.. coherent title. There might not a huge driving reason to invest your time and money in the game, beyond its sandboxey nature (i could be wrong, and i'm more than happy to be). While i think that I, and many others, will still get much enjoyment out of this, its that sort of point that can get a game marked down. But you, sir, have a bet. What are we betting with? Why, pride and honour.

You're on!

But be warned, my pride is teh heug! If you win, you might not be able to handle its monstrosity, let alone go to the bathroom like a normal human being ever again.

My honor, on the other hand... you can just have that shit.

:D

LCDXX on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LCDXX wrote:
    You're on!

But be warned, my pride is teh heug! If you win, you might not be able to handle its monstrosity, let alone go to the bathroom like a normal human being ever again.

My honor, on the other hand... you can just have that shit.

:D
    [emo]i have no pride, so you stand to win nothing[/emo]

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nothing is more satisfying, then maxing out your strength, going on a highway, and laying waste to all cars that come at you.

By the end of the demo I was at the 'lift 10 tons' level, so I basically was having fun kicking cars around. Even if I never did anything but fuck around in this game, it would be awesome.

Edit - someone talked about how running around in actually fun in this game... so true! I think the only time I was in a car was at the very beginning at the garage.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    stratego wrote:
    It is so much fun to throw a car full of gang members at other pedestrian gang members. Also, hitting the female gang boss lady with a shotgun to knock her down, then setting her aflame with a grenade, to kick her 30 feet off of the roof of the tall building to fall to her death (where she killed an underling with her mass) might be my greatest gaming moment of some time.

More like throwing that car at your teammate, m i rite?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I only got to do you play through but, currently, I would rate Crackdown as being almost half as much fun as Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. That is enough fun for me to purchase it, though.
    The melee is so minor they shouldn't have even bothered. I'm really disappointed by this.
    Throwing shit doesn't work well. Am I missing something? You can't target people and you always throw the stuff the same distance. Everything looks weightless when thrown, too, even cars. :( And you throw street lights instead of using them as baseball bats, wtf?

I think I hyped myself up too much, comparing this to Hulk:UD. It just isn't as fun shooting people as it is smashing a bus into a boomerang.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    I only got to do you play through but, currently, I would rate Crackdown as being almost half as much fun as Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. That is enough fun for me to purchase it, though.
    The melee is so minor they shouldn't have even bothered. I'm really disappointed by this.
    Throwing shit doesn't work well. Am I missing something? You can't target people and you always throw the stuff the same distance. Everything looks weightless when thrown, too, even cars. :( And you throw street lights instead of using them as baseball bats, wtf?

I think I hyped myself up too much, comparing this to Hulk:UD. It just isn't as fun shooting people as it is smashing a bus into a boomerang.

Re:throwing. Considering they give a distance that you can throw objects when you upgrade strength I feel like I'm missing something control-wise for throwing as well.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LockeCole wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

Re:throwing. Considering they give a distance that you can throw objects when you upgrade strength I feel like I'm missing something control-wise for throwing as well.

Are you using the Right Bumper button? You can lock on with the Left Trigger as well if you want to throw at something.

I've had no problems with throwing at all using this method.

Mastervastere on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:

i was able to target people..
    but yes, i do wish they'd expanded on the melee combat a bit more. Could've been far better.

As it is though, i couldn't help feel like a movie superhero as i was merrily making my way across rooftops, bounding like a man with newly-discovered powers, only to mis-time a jump and faaaaaaaaaalllll allll the way down and KERBLAM, straight into a skip.

Then exit said skip, and throw it at the nearest deserving hoodlum.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LockeCole wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

Are you using the Right Bumper button? You can lock on with the Left Trigger as well if you want to throw at something.

Right bumber... thats the grenade if you aren't carrying anything right? This is what happens when I try to figure out the controls by playing.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LockeCole wrote:
    LockeCole wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

Right bumber... thats the grenade if you aren't carrying anything right? This is what happens when I try to figure out the controls by playing.

Yeps!

Mastervastere on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:

That's exactly how I felt about the demo. And the thing that worries me is that there doesn't seem to be alot of diversity in it either. It's fun for the hour demo, but I'm wondering if the game will end up getting boring.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kyougu wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

That's exactly how I felt about the demo. And the thing that worries me is that there doesn't seem to be alot of diversity in it either. It's fun for the hour demo, but I'm wondering if the game will end up getting boring.

that's what I'm worried about. It's overly simple-

Go here... kill him

Now go here... kill him

i dunno, seems like we'll get GTA missions which I'm sure the majority of people are tired of

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well I'm going to buy it. I've never played GTA3 so it's all new to me.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I agree with Accualt, and I said pretty much the same thing earlier. If the melee had a moves list ala Dead Rising, this game would go from good to great. If it had a parkour-style system ala Assassin's Creed, it would go from great to amazing. If the quests were more than just GTA-style kill/race/fetch quests, it might be perfect.

I haven't decided if I'm going to buy it or not. As it is, the demo is plenty fun to mess around with for a few minutes at a time, which is pretty much all I see myself doing with the full game.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    defrag wrote:
    I agree with Accualt, and I said pretty much the same thing earlier. If the melee had a moves list ala Dead Rising, this game would go from good to great. If it had a parkour-style system ala Assassin's Creed, it would go from great to amazing. If the quests were more than just GTA-style kill/race/fetch quests, it might be perfect.

I haven't decided if I'm going to buy it or not. As it is, the demo is plenty fun to mess around with for a few minutes at a time, which is pretty much all I see myself doing with the full game.

THAT is exactly what it needs. I was thinking that the building climbs were fun, but not "natural"... but it need not be a direct parkour-style rip-off of Assassin's Creed - imagine your character basically punching into walls to make his grip as he scales the side of a building. It'd be much more fluid than the jump/ledge/jump/ledge/jump style they've got going here.

Oh wait, Hulk: UD did that, I think.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LCDXX wrote:
    defrag wrote:

THAT is exactly what it needs. I was thinking that the building climbs were fun, but not "natural"... but it need not be a direct parkour-style rip-off of Assassin's Creed - imagine your character basically punching into walls to make his grip as he scales the side of a building. It'd be much more fluid than the jump/ledge/jump/ledge/jump style they've got going here.

Oh wait, Hulk: UD did that, I think.

The problem with the building climbs in Crackdown is that they just don't flow naturally at all - you hit the nail on the head. The camera can be extremely annoying in tight climbs, too, and when your only options are to jump... or... uh... jump, it doesn't really excite me at all. I mean, even your side-to-side movement along ledges is done with jumps.

The way the system works now, it basically feels like CoH's Super Jump but with some mantling abilities thrown in.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Seriously, play Crackdown in co-op before making any sort of final judgment about the game.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My demo will NOT stop crashing.

I've tried 5 times. Made it into the game 3 of those times. Longest game lasted 3 minutes. It seems good? But, uh, what the fuck is wrong with my xbox :|

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Level 4 agility...

Get it.

Seriously, lvl 4 agility opens the game up REAL wide-like. Oh no, 5 hitmen just got out of some cars and are hurting you real bad. *Press A* Not anymore. The 30 min time limit kills me, I was having a blast just jumping around like a nut getting all the agility upgrades.

Now it's time for another session of Kriegs' Kwestions:

Have they established how retail co-op will work? To clarify, if I have a maxed out single-player officer and I want to go co-op, do I have the option do start off as a new officer? Will it be like Dead Rising where I have only 1 character/save per storage device?

Is it just me or do headshots seem completely ineffective? I picked up a sniper rifle, aimed right between some poor bastard's eyes, fired... and he only lost half HP, which is the same as a body shot.

Is there any way to "beat" the demo? ...Just curious.

kriegs on