As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: Troy and Abed in Stopmotion!

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This episode hit all the right buttons.

The Lost thing bugged me a little bit but it was still very clever.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shirley sang last year too. Are those the only two times?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

That was perfect for Abed's subconscious, though. It had to be a television reference.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When did Shirley sing last year? The only singing I remember was Troy and Abed's "Somewhere Out There."

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

That was perfect for Abed's subconscious, though. It had to be a television reference.

Exactly. It was perfect.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When did Shirley sing last year? The only singing I remember was Troy and Abed's "Somewhere Out There."

The Christmas episode last year. Sensitive Night, Appropriate Night.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

She was singing while decorating the tree ("The Lord, The Lord, THE LORD!") and then after the fight ("Function with relative ease").

a5ehren on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

first season

good episode. sweet.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Look at the credits

Starburns was one of the writers!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Goddamn local news was broadcasting during this. I'll have to catch it on Hulu tomorrow.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Look at the credits

Starburns was one of the writers!

To be fair, he has a little experience with stop-motion.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Starburns was originally one of the writers and got the role of Starburns because his starburns were awesome, if I remember right.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    wait.

starburns wasn't a great brilliant original flash of an idea just for this show?

this guy possibly had star shaped sideburns just because and they ran with the idea?

what does one do with star shaped sideburns in real life?

useless4 on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    useless4 wrote: »
    wait.

starburns wasn't a great brilliant original flash of an idea just for this show?

this guy possibly had star shaped sideburns just because and they ran with the idea?

what does one do with star shaped sideburns in real life?

The same things that normal people do.

But with star burns.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Starburns was originally one of the writers and got the role of Starburns because his starburns were awesome, if I remember right.
    His Starburns were prosthetic at first.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    At the same time, it wouldn't be that surprising if Dino Stamatopoulos had those things in real life just because.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    OH MY GOD

I usually hate cheeseball Christmas specials, but man, this episode hit all the right buttons.

Dammit Community, stop being so good at everything. You're making the rest of TV look bad.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    well christmas wizards help make tv awesome.

and willy wonka references.

oh and songs.

and tasers because of songs.

so many good things here.

useless4 on
  • Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AND CHRISTMAS PTERODACTYL

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The changman was pretty great.

The perfect amount of Chang.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    What made the episode was how inane all that would be were it not happening in stop motion

Abed dancing on the cars, Abed 'playing' with the Changman :lol:

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »
    At the same time, it wouldn't be that surprising if Dino Stamatopoulos had those things in real life just because.

Oh he most definitely has real starburns, at least he did at this years comic-con, though he has to dye the gray out for the show

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    This is moderately entertaining, but it would be otherworldly if we were seeing the study room (or mostly seeing the study room) and Abed was describing his hallucination.

Not much point in doing stop-motion animation, then. If this were a normal episode, I'd agree with you.

Eh the stop-motion should be a means not an end. It doesn't work for me that much. You lose a lot of the performances this way IMO

Yeah you lose a LOT of the performances without faces I was hit by that almost instantly
    but the episode also had a lot of emotional and psychological depth--that was well done
    shirley CAN sing, if thats actually nicole yvette brown

valiance on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    kdrudy wrote: »

Oh he most definitely has real starburns, at least he did at this years comic-con, though he has to dye the gray out for the show
    He wound up growing them. But you can see in the early episodes (the pilot, maybe?) that they look very different, and they talked in the commentaries about them being prosthetic.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As I was watching the episode, I wondered what line would be used for the new thread title. As much as I wanted it to be Christmas Pterodactyl, I saw the tag. The very last line, I knew. Lo and behold, the first thread I see upon checking the forums, "Troy and Abed in Stopmotion!" PA, you never disappoint.

[Edit] Also, Pierce coming back at the end almost makes up for the fact that they've been underusing his character for the past few weeks.

Ages on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    on that subject, does anyone want a go at the new thread OP? I've got a rough OP made but if someone else wants a go, then by all means have at it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What a minute, Starburns is Dino Stamantopolos? Isn't that the Morel Orel guy?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    What a minute, Starburns is Dino Stamantopolos? Isn't that the Morel Orel guy?

Yep

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mind=Blown.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    He wrote for Conan back in the 90s as well

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    and Mr. Show

Variable on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    and Mr. Show

Where he wrote one of their best sketches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrlS9_n8GX4

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    yeah a top contender on that show's entire run

I think he also wrote the audition sketch

Variable on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I guess I'm the odd man out, because I didn't care for this one at all (and I've loved every episode up to now).
    I was hoping it would all end up being a dream or one of Abed's movies or something. I hate the idea that he was actually delusional, and that the people trying to snap him out of it were treated as the bad guys who didn't get it. The worst part was him putting down Britta for trying to help him, and apparently making her cry.

For me, it just went way beyond "Abed is being wacky" and into "Abed is seriously disturbed."

Cantide on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was hoping for more chang, i saw him peaking around the corner when they first entered christmasland.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The best part of that sketch is the hair.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cantide wrote: »
    I guess I'm the odd man out, because I didn't care for this one at all (and I've loved every episode up to now).
    I was hoping it would all end up being a dream or one of Abed's movies or something. I hate the idea that he was actually delusional, and that the people trying to snap him out of it were treated as the bad guys who didn't get it. The worst part was him putting down Britta for trying to help him, and apparently making her cry.

For me, it just went way beyond "Abed is being wacky" and into "Abed is seriously disturbed."
    They weren't bad for trying to help him, they were bad for lieing to him about what they were doing. And Abed isn't wacky he most likely has a serious mental disorder that makes him incapable of connecting with other people. Several times in the series it's implied that he has Asperger's, although that's not for sure just a likely reason for his personality.

Magell on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Britta rebuff was entirely acceptable. Britta's idea of 'help' at the start of the episode was to let him deal with it himself and alone, through a therapist. Only at the end of the episode did she get that, as a friend, she had to be part of the help. Intelligent caring vs emotional caring.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want a remote-controlled Christmas Teradactyl!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cantide wrote: »

Well, Abed has always been somewhat disturbed. Remember one of the first episodes of season 1 where he manipulated Jeff and Britta into acting similarly to his parents so he could film them and show it to his father as a way to express his feelings? Those aren't actions a normal person takes.

Also, he didn't put Britta down for trying to help him, he put her down for trying to help him in her way, instead of the way Abed obviously needed. He even explicitly says it to her, both in speech and song. She thinks she always knows best, and can be controlling. She doesn't believe that others can have the right answers. She doesn't have the faith that they can figure things out on their own or fend for themselves.

Not all of the others were bad guys. Annie and Troy helped him continue his journey, and Pierce stayed with him until the end. Jeff, Shirley, and Britta - the know-it-alls - were punted because while they all wanted to help Abed, they weren't willing to help him in the way he needed to be helped. They wanted to do it on their terms, not his.

Abed's prism is TV and movies. His meta comments aren't meant as a joke from him. It's how he processes the world. And, really, how is stop motion animation fundamentally different than Robocop vision?

Nightslyr on