As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA 8: UFC 116: The Fourth of July Comes Early!

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »
    it's such horseshit that it wasn't stopped in the first round

oh well

they wanted to let brock keep fighting as long as he was conscious, so that's what they did

By the way this is the weakest thing I ever seen. I don't ever want to see a stoppage. Get a real knock out, and the dude didn't.

'i don't ever want to see a stoppage' is dumb shit that gets people hurt

but i agree that the fight shouldn't have been stopped. i'm just saying that i don't think that call was in line with previous stoppages.

I'm not saying stoppages shouldn't exists, I'm saying I don't want them to happen as in I don't root for them. To say its horseshit like you wanted it to happen is fucking weak.

Goose! on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    it's such horseshit that it wasn't stopped in the first round

oh well

they wanted to let brock keep fighting as long as he was conscious, so that's what they did

By the way this is the weakest thing I ever seen. I don't ever want to see a stoppage. Get a real knock out, and the dude didn't.

'i don't ever want to see a stoppage' is dumb shit that gets people hurt

but i agree that the fight shouldn't have been stopped. i'm just saying that i don't think that call was in line with previous stoppages.

I'm not saying stoppages shouldn't exists, I'm saying I don't want them to happen as in I don't root for them. To say its horseshit like you wanted it to happen is fucking weak.

i didn't 'want' the fight to be stopped. i disagree with a lot of stoppages. i do think that on the majority of nights, though, that fight would have been stopped in the first.

Organichu on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like how B:L doesn't give Brock any credit at all
    It's pretty fucking weak to say that when I've been one of the only ones to give credit to Lesnar's chin before his fight with Carwin.

But keep on truckin' that bias.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    It's pretty fucking weak to say that when I've been one of the only ones to give credit to Lesnar's chin before his fight with Carwin.

Okay? So what I gather from this is you're saying he can't get knocked out. Still not giving him his due for a great win.

EDIT: Fuck the forums are slow. I mean to say that you give Fedor all the credit in the world even after a loss and none to Lesnar after a win.

Goose! on
    edited July 2010

Okay? So what I gather from this is you're saying he can't get knocked out. Still not giving him his due for a great win.

EDIT: Fuck the forums are slow. I mean to say that you give Fedor all the credit in the world even after a loss and none to Lesnar after a win.
    And I have no idea where you're coming up with that idea, since Lesnar clearly showed heart in surviving round one and fighting back well in round two.

My only issue is that he dominated a clearly gassed Carwin who couldn't even defend himself properly on the ground, allowing Lesnar to easily pass his half guard to lock in a sub.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what he's trying to say is

Fedor ain't all that great

quit riding his nuts

but you know

in a nicer way

Sweeney Tom on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man I'm so pissed that I missed this card. I was going to go to the local Hooters to watch it and got stuck with my in-laws and some other older people.

About the non-stoppage in the champ fight: having not seen it I can't say for sure, but doesn't it make sense that they'd have told the ref for that fight "under no circumstances are we to have a controversial stoppage in this one." They have a vested interest in their championship fights going well, more than any others, and if there's some doubt about whether it should get stopped than it probably shouldn't, right?

Peen on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    its kinda hard to gauge cause i'm not even sure there is a way of intelligently defending yourself against a dude like carwin other than covering your face with your hands and using your feet to create distance. When refs stop fights due to turtling the dude usually turns away and is on all fours and as such is out of options to really limit the damage actively. Lesnar stayed on his back and was active with his feet by spinning and kicking which probably bought him time with the refs

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Brock winning, and surviving, has probably put the entire Heavyweight division on notice. Hopefully this will cause the other fighters to work on their cardio so they can go harder and longer rather than the one round of action and then 4 rounds of slap fighting. The fact that Lesner took the beating and took the submission victory is both awesome and scary. Lesner is beginning to look like a whole new tier of heavy weight fighter in the UFC.

Dana White has no choice now but to bring in more WWE talent to challenge Brock. UFC 125 Lesner vs Big Show :P

Psychotic One on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    brock vs. cain should be crazy

doesnt' cain also have an undefeated streak?

brock could make that his new thing!

i am hoping nelson beats JDS next month so that i can see brock vs. roy

for no other reason than the sight of the man-mountain that is brock lesnar vs. the sphere that is roy nelson

Pony on
    edited July 2010
    cain is 8-0 (7kos) (decision w/ cheick kongo)(notable fights: ben rothwell and big nog)

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited July 2010
    brock could make beating undefeated guys his thing

be Brock "Streak-Stopper" Lesnar

get a sponsorship from Windex

Pony on
    edited July 2010
    haha brock needs to go from fat man to stick man after roy and fight struve
    he'll probably break struve in two though and drop both pieces down into the lightweight division

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Lytle got robbed.

If you so desperately need to give Brock a bonus, then give Lytle a bonus "Under the table," at least. Grrr.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19806/after-action-packed-ufc-116-fight-card-more-bonus-checks-on-the-way.mma

I like to hear shit like this, pay fighters when they leave it all on the line. That was a great card and I was happy to be able to see it live.

I've heard interviews from more than one fighter that talks about Dana giving guys other under the table bonuses besides just the Fight, Sub and KO of the Night stuff. Say what you want about the pres (he can be a huge douche, obviously), but he takes care of the people that make his business run. If people go out and they leave everything in the cage, they will make some extra money at the end of the night.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Cain can stop Lesnars takedowns (big if) I could see him outboxing him. Cain, much like Lesnar, seems to be a very very talented individual and they are both developing at an alarming rate. But Brock still looks like shit on his feet and Cain looked pretty slick in his last showing.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zuffa Money

he also gave Shogun a shitload of extra money when he lost to Machida in the first match, for the awesome fight and performance. (and maybe to compensate for the shitty decision <3)

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel pretty bad for Cain right now, he's awesome but I don't think he has anything for Brock.

edit: apart from cardio

815165 on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Roy Nelson beats Brock Lesnar I will squeal with equal parts glee and Schadenfreude. I'll make a goddamned interpretive dance to mark the occasion. I'll be betting about zero dollars it will happen though. I'm not counting Roy out at all, but has Lesnar has shown he can shut down offensive grapplers without much trouble.

How will Roy fare against Junior dos Santos? I can't tell. JDS has the mega hands, Roy has the brains. I foresee JDS on the offence, Roy weathering it out and looking for take downs, counter shots or some good ol' fence leaning clinch work.

I don't think Cain is ready for Brock yet, with anything in his skill set, but I have been known to be wrong.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cain? it was clear as day in the look on his face. He is going to get humiliated by Lesnar. He doesn't have Carwin's stand up, and Brock's wrestling outclasses his- not to mention the fact that generally speaking, once Brock's on top of you there's very little you can do.

There are only 3 men apart from Carwin who deserve a shot at Lesnar right now- Overeem, Verdum and Fedor.

Zuffa needs to break out the money sink and start enticing them.

Sam on
    edited July 2010
    I'm curious to see how Cain prepares for this fight because I'm not sure he has anything for Brock physically. Carwin's one of the only guys I can think of who can match Brock's physical gifts, aside from cardio apparently (though I still want the real story on that, I'm not buying this whole body cramp nonsense but I'm also not sure how he could have gotten that tired that quickly). Cain, on the other hand, is a big dude but he's not that imposing. He's strong as shit, yes, but on the ground I think Brock's bulk gives him an advantage (sorta like bizarro Roy) and I'd like to see if Cain can chisel up some for this fight.

Peen on
    edited July 2010
    Cain can do what Carwin won't. Strike and avoid, trying to beat Lesnar on points or overwhelm Lesnar after he gasses.

Lesnar on the other hand would Couture-press Cain or take him down, but Cain can defend his position, unlike Carwin.

I believe it can come down to cardio, and Cain can outlast Lesnar there if he doesn't get grinded out. It'll be a tough fight for Cain to survive those early rounds, but if he does he'll have the advantage in later rounds.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And then Brock Americanas him out of nowhere and the internet explodes again.

:lol:

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    And then Brock Americanas him out of nowhere and the internet explodes again.

:lol:

Flying Heel hook...

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    Hey wait what the hell, how did Brock get sub of the night over Lytle?

because brock lesnar submitted a man

it's like the inverse of Fedor being submitted

It's like how Cro Cop submitted Barry and won sub of the night despite the fact that there was a SPECTACULAR submission by someone else (I forget who) in a previous fight.
    pyle
    also
    you don't get to post here until your post your pics from last night :P
    how was it and stuff
    did you run into the rock?

NO IT WAS LAME. I had to be backstage where they control all the cameras and shit. So basically I watched the fight through multiple monitors, and I wasn't anywhere near the fighters.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited July 2010

It's like how Cro Cop submitted Barry and won sub of the night despite the fact that there was a SPECTACULAR submission by someone else (I forget who) in a previous fight.
    pyle
    also
    how was it and stuff

NO IT WAS LAME. I had to be backstage where they control all the cameras and shit. So basically I watched the fight through multiple monitors, and I wasn't anywhere near the fighters.
    :( man that sucks
    did dana at least drop in to yell at his employees and stuff or something?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

pyle
    also
    how was it and stuff

:( man that sucks
    did dana at least drop in to yell at his employees and stuff or something?

No, during UFC fights he spends the entire time octagon-side with headphones on so he can hear the commentary, and pops in the ring to congratulate the winner. I've already met him, so I'm happy about that.
    28797_709646889848_6711010_40153125_6338472_n.jpg

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He looks kind of like a rock golem sometimes.

Liquid Ghost on
    edited July 2010
    Yahoo! wrote:
    1. Brock Lesnar is the world’s best heavyweight: The UFC champion’s detractors have been on his case from the moment he entered the company. First, he was “just a pro wrestler,” despite his pedigree as an NCAA wrestling champion. When he won the title from Randy Couture in just his fourth pro fight, all of the sudden Couture was “too old.” When Lesnar beat Frank Mir and avenged his only loss, all of the sudden Mir was “overrated.” Lesnar’s five pro wins now include two over former UFC champs and a comeback victory for the ages over the sport’s heaviest hitter. Fedor Emelianenko tapped away the No. 1 heavyweight slot last week. Cain Velasquez, Lesnar’s next opponent, is impressive and boasts a solid record, but he does not have Lesnar’s quality of opposition to his credit. So until someone takes the belt off his waist, Lesnar is the world’s undisputed best at 265.

This sums up my thoughts on the matter quite well, actually.

Goose! on
    edited July 2010
    I'm wth you Goose!.

If Roy beats JDS, I'd love to see Carwin/Dos Santos.

Peen on
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm wth you Goose!.

and Nelson/Lesnar

brock vs. roy is my current dream match

Pony on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm wth you Goose!.

and Nelson/Lesnar

brock vs. roy is my current dream match

Strangely I really do want to see this happen.

Meat Mountain vs The Chubby Crucifix

I predect a first round KO though by Brock. Roy would take 3 hits and try to do what he did to Kimbo. Once on the ground Lesnar will force to the top and then hammer fist Roy to dream land.

Psychotic One on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I predict Nelson submitting Lesnar somehow.

I just want to see the look on Dana's face if that happened.

doug_grammar on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DanaWhitePress125x125.jpg

815165 on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I predict Nelson submitting Lesnar somehow.

I just want to see the look on Dana's face if that happened.

I'd be the happiest man on the planet.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited July 2010
    DanaWhitePress125x125.jpg

If only this was the SA forums. the Exploding Psy-duck emoticon would be more like it.

Psychotic One on
    edited July 2010
    Yahoo! wrote:
    1. Brock Lesnar is the world’s best heavyweight: The UFC champion’s detractors have been on his case from the moment he entered the company. First, he was “just a pro wrestler,” despite his pedigree as an NCAA wrestling champion. When he won the title from Randy Couture in just his fourth pro fight, all of the sudden Couture was “too old.” When Lesnar beat Frank Mir and avenged his only loss, all of the sudden Mir was “overrated.” Lesnar’s five pro wins now include two over former UFC champs and a comeback victory for the ages over the sport’s heaviest hitter. Fedor Emelianenko tapped away the No. 1 heavyweight slot last week. Cain Velasquez, Lesnar’s next opponent, is impressive and boasts a solid record, but he does not have Lesnar’s quality of opposition to his credit. So until someone takes the belt off his waist, Lesnar is the world’s undisputed best at 265.

Yahoo has the most biased articles about the sport of UFC.

edited July 2010
    Yahoo! wrote:

We've been over this. Nearly every section is named after the dominant company of that sport. NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. Its the format they use.

Hell, looking at the site, its only called UFC in the nav bar. Every other link on the site says "MMA"

Goose! on
    edited July 2010
    Oh man Fanhouse interviewed all the WWE guys about Brock's win.

Paul Heyman is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnM_VaXRbA&feature=player_embedded

Goose! on
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yahoo! wrote:

We've been over this. Nearly every section is named after the dominant company of that sport. NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. Its the format they use.

Hell, looking at the site, its only called UFC in the nav bar. Every other link on the site says "MMA"

BIAS!

Wet Bandit on
    edited July 2010
    hahaha i like how cort mcgee is just kinda hangin out back there in that interview with JR

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!