Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

MMA 8: UFC 116: The Fourth of July Comes Early!

15657596162

Posts

  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    Oh man Fanhouse interviewed all the WWE guys about Brock's win.

    Paul Heyman is great.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnM_VaXRbA&feature=player_embedded

    There's a healthy respect between most pro wrestlers and most MMA guys. I was kinda surprised by this. I figured the MMA guys would look down on the wrestlers but they don't. It's a pretty neat dynamic.

    JustinSane07 on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i think its one of those things where a lot of the mma guys grew up watching wwf especially those in the mid 20s to early 30s age range

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, there's the fact that a top MMA fighter fighting, say, five times a year is seen as a punishing schedule...while the pro wrestlers go out 300 nights a year. The reason they can do it is obvious, but still...

    Shadowen on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    Oh man Fanhouse interviewed all the WWE guys about Brock's win.

    Paul Heyman is great.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnM_VaXRbA&feature=player_embedded

    There's a healthy respect between most pro wrestlers and most MMA guys. I was kinda surprised by this. I figured the MMA guys would look down on the wrestlers but they don't. It's a pretty neat dynamic.

    pro wrestling and MMA gone' hand in hand since MMA's inception.

    Does no one remember Sakuraba, Severn, Frye, Fujita, Inoki, Barnett and Shamrock? Pro wrestlers have been with MMA forever, so I didn't really understand why people hated on Brock merely because he had a previous job as a pro wrestler

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »
    Oh man Fanhouse interviewed all the WWE guys about Brock's win.

    Paul Heyman is great.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnM_VaXRbA&feature=player_embedded

    There's a healthy respect between most pro wrestlers and most MMA guys. I was kinda surprised by this. I figured the MMA guys would look down on the wrestlers but they don't. It's a pretty neat dynamic.

    pro wrestling and MMA gone' hand in hand since MMA's inception.

    Does no one remember Sakuraba, Severn, Frye, Fujita, Inoki, Barnett and Shamrock? Pro wrestlers have been with MMA forever, so I didn't really understand why people hated on Brock merely because he had a previous job as a pro wrestler

    Stigma. Now that its more popular than pro wrestling (I think), the association of wrestling (considered fake) and fighting (real) is frightening and angering to some pretty awful idiots.

    Goose! on
    Nintendo Switch FC: SW-5618-5257-5789 | Amazon Smile List
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love wrestling and MMA. They go together quite well. :D

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    JustinSane07 on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drunken rednecks love their soap operas. I think that's why WWE is still so much more popular.

    I also think that most people just don't understand MMA. Look at Mike and Jerry's comic on it. "Twenty minutes of sweaty dick punching." People that post in this thread understand the ground game and what's going on. To most people it looks pretty homo-erotic, I bet.

    I didn't understand it right away either. Took me quite a few events to finally grasp what was going on and what they were doing.

    Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User
    edited July 2010
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ppvbiz021510

    The UFC trounces WWE on PPV. Last year, the UFC did 8 million PPV buys in North America over 13 events. WWE did 4.6 million buys worldwide over 14 events with 2.9 million of those buys coming from North America. 11 of the top 15 buyrates on PPV last year were UFC events.

    Wet Bandit on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ppvbiz021510

    The UFC trounces WWE on PPV. Last year, the UFC did 8 million PPV buys in North America over 13 events. WWE did 4.6 million buys worldwide over 14 events with 2.9 million of those buys coming from North America. 11 of the top 15 buyrates on PPV last year were UFC events.

    How much are wrestling PPVs now? I remember them being $20 back in the day and they were only every few months (Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, Summer Slam, Survivor Series). Now whenever I watch wrestling (maybe once every few months, usually less) they have a PPV coming up within 2 weeks and they're discussing things that happened on the last PPV. It seems like their whole business model is selling the PPVs I'm amazed they sell so few of them.

    Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    $40

    $50 if it's Wrestlemania

    Sweeney Tom on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ppvbiz021510

    The UFC trounces WWE on PPV. Last year, the UFC did 8 million PPV buys in North America over 13 events. WWE did 4.6 million buys worldwide over 14 events with 2.9 million of those buys coming from North America. 11 of the top 15 buyrates on PPV last year were UFC events.

    Man, I dunno if you can compare PPVs for each of these. Most people are probably thinking, "Why spend all that money to watch something that I see for free weekly?"

    I'm sure if UFC had a weekly event then they would see their PPVs take a hit.

    Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ppvbiz021510

    The UFC trounces WWE on PPV. Last year, the UFC did 8 million PPV buys in North America over 13 events. WWE did 4.6 million buys worldwide over 14 events with 2.9 million of those buys coming from North America. 11 of the top 15 buyrates on PPV last year were UFC events.

    Man, I dunno if you can compare PPVs for each of these. Most people are probably thinking, "Why spend all that money to watch something that I see for free weekly?"

    I'm sure if UFC had a weekly event then they would see their PPVs take a hit.

    They have a weekly event, The Ultimate Fighter, which has lead to the increase in PPV buys. Even the UFC doesn't have a big enough roster to have 2/3 hours of fights every week so TUF is as close as it's going ot come to a weekly tv event.

    How much "wrestling" actually happens on Raw? It's mostly soap opera which makes it possible to do a few shows a week. The UFC is mostly fighting (with some filler in between fights). Heck even TUF is mostly filler and McCray fought what 5 times in 5 weeks?

    Also that article noted that PPV buys for the WWE have gone down ever since the UFC took off. So I think it's a fair comparison.

    Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ppvbiz021510

    The UFC trounces WWE on PPV. Last year, the UFC did 8 million PPV buys in North America over 13 events. WWE did 4.6 million buys worldwide over 14 events with 2.9 million of those buys coming from North America. 11 of the top 15 buyrates on PPV last year were UFC events.

    Hmm. Interesting.

    I wonder how the gates compare over all though. The reason I say this is that the WWE puts on shows daily that don't air on TV. UFC has their two TV shows and the PPVs tri-weekly. And one of those shows doesn't have an audience.

    It'd be tough to judge the amount of people going to WWE "house shows", as they are known as, because they're not on TV so the amount of people going to them isn't really recorded by anyone.

    JustinSane07 on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ppvbiz021510

    The UFC trounces WWE on PPV. Last year, the UFC did 8 million PPV buys in North America over 13 events. WWE did 4.6 million buys worldwide over 14 events with 2.9 million of those buys coming from North America. 11 of the top 15 buyrates on PPV last year were UFC events.

    Hmm. Interesting.

    I wonder how the gates compare over all though. The reason I say this is that the WWE puts on shows daily that don't air on TV. UFC has their two TV shows and the PPVs tri-weekly. And one of those shows doesn't have an audience.

    It'd be tough to judge the amount of people going to WWE "house shows", as they are known as, because they're not on TV so the amount of people going to them isn't really recorded by anyone.

    Gates can't even be close, WWE has 2 major shows a week, a few house shows, and PPVs. The UFC has 1 card about every 3 weeks. I'm not sure how much WWE tickets are (I haven't gone since 1999) but every RAW is in a pretty big arena and they always seemed to be close to sold out (Not sure if that's still the case) so the WWE must have a HUGE advantage in actual on site attendance.

    Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User
    edited July 2010
    2uzqjh2.jpg

    Wet Bandit on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    2uzqjh2.jpg

    That's funny. :)

    Did that really happen, though? I could see him doing it just as a joke.

    Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    wwe is primarily a traveling TV circus. UFC doesn't compete with it on TV, they don't put their actual product on the air for free every week. UFC is all about selling PPV's, just like boxing. TUF is mostly about creating exposure while TV is the lifeblood of wrestling. The PPVs would be meaningless if they are viewed without the shows.

    also in terms of mindshare and popular relevance, MMA is far beyond wrestling.

    Sam on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    2uzqjh2.jpg

    That's funny. :)

    Did that really happen, though? I could see him doing it just as a joke.

    i doubt it. the guy goes out of his way to distance himself from his Rock persona.

    Sam on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    wwe is primarily a traveling TV circus. UFC doesn't compete with it on TV, they don't put their actual product on the air for free every week. UFC is all about selling PPV's, just like boxing. TUF is mostly about creating exposure while TV is the lifeblood of wrestling. The PPVs would be meaningless if they are viewed without the shows.

    also in terms of mindshare and popular relevance, MMA is far beyond wrestling.

    Aw, and you were doing so well until that last sentence. "Far beyond" is a stretch that Stretch Armstrong would be jealous of. If anything, it's about even now in America.

    JustinSane07 on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    2uzqjh2.jpg

    How much is Dwayne weighing nowadays, I wonder? He doesn't look much smaller than Brock here. I know back when Brock was still in WWE, there was a noticeable size difference between the two, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    wwe is primarily a traveling TV circus. UFC doesn't compete with it on TV, they don't put their actual product on the air for free every week. UFC is all about selling PPV's, just like boxing. TUF is mostly about creating exposure while TV is the lifeblood of wrestling. The PPVs would be meaningless if they are viewed without the shows.

    also in terms of mindshare and popular relevance, MMA is far beyond wrestling.

    Aw, and you were doing so well until that last sentence. "Far beyond" is a stretch that Stretch Armstrong would be jealous of. If anything, it's about even now in America.

    MMA is seen as a trendy extreme sport, wrestling is considered a camp relic. UFC is about as popular as wrestling was in '98-'99

    Sam on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    why is there so much good will with these guys and brock
    is it bandwagoning?
    i was under the impression brock burned his bridges pretty hardcore when he left
    or was that mostly with the fans or did most of that get deflected onto goldberg

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    wwe is primarily a traveling TV circus. UFC doesn't compete with it on TV, they don't put their actual product on the air for free every week. UFC is all about selling PPV's, just like boxing. TUF is mostly about creating exposure while TV is the lifeblood of wrestling. The PPVs would be meaningless if they are viewed without the shows.

    also in terms of mindshare and popular relevance, MMA is far beyond wrestling.

    Aw, and you were doing so well until that last sentence. "Far beyond" is a stretch that Stretch Armstrong would be jealous of. If anything, it's about even now in America.

    MMA is seen as a trendy extreme sport, wrestling is considered a camp relic. UFC is about as popular as wrestling was in '98-'99

    What's your evidence here? In '98-'99, both shows on Monday nights (WCW and WWF) were having ratings in the 6s. That's around 5.5-6 million viewers each. And that was weekly. Not once a month PPVs. UFC has a long way to go before it reaches that level of popularity.

    And a camp relic? I'm pretty sure I don't see any UFC fighters starring in commercials for Gillette. I'm pretty sure that WWE Raw is still the highest rated show on Cable. I'm pretty sure that the WWE videogames still outsell the UFC games (most notably this year after THQ's DEBACLE of an online thing).

    You're putting down pro wrestling's popularity with absolutely 0 facts to back it up. You're gonna have to work harder than that.
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    why is there so much good will with these guys and brock
    is it bandwagoning?
    i was under the impression brock burned his bridges pretty hardcore when he left
    or was that mostly with the fans or did most of that get deflected onto goldberg

    Well it's couple things. It's been 6 years since Brock quit on the WWE. That's a long time. Second, he quit on the company, not on the guys he worked with. Rocky and Austin were already done by then, too. And well, both him and Goldberg ended their full time wrestling careers on the same night. Heyman also has no current ties to the WWE and was Brock's first manager in wrestling. I don't think you'll see Vince McMahon show up any time soon, but these 5 guys that showed up all had no animosity with Brock's decision to leave.

    JustinSane07 on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I assumed that was just with the company.

    And it is a pretty momentous occasion, seeing a soap opera champ become a real champ. I imagine there's a lot of camaraderie and nostalgia involved as well.

    Sam on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ppvbiz021510

    The UFC trounces WWE on PPV. Last year, the UFC did 8 million PPV buys in North America over 13 events. WWE did 4.6 million buys worldwide over 14 events with 2.9 million of those buys coming from North America. 11 of the top 15 buyrates on PPV last year were UFC events.


    Do note thats speculated. UFC doesn't have to and usually does not release numbers, whereas WWE and HBO have to.

    Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    why is there so much good will with these guys and brock
    is it bandwagoning?
    i was under the impression brock burned his bridges pretty hardcore when he left
    or was that mostly with the fans or did most of that get deflected onto goldberg

    Austin could never go into MMA, he broke his neck in the WWE
    Goldberg seperated his muscles entirely from his pelvis at one point, he'll never MMA
    Rock is an actor and would make less money in MMA.

    None of them burned bridges, really. They may have pissed off Vince, but it is pretty easy to piss off Vince.

    It was quoted that after the fight, Goldberg and Brock put in the DVD of their last match in the WWE when they were hanging and were having fun laughing about it according to Jim Ross.

    FyreWulff on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    UFC isn't more popular than WWE still. It's a lot closer than it used to be but WWE Raw still smacks the ratings pants off of UFC on TV. I'm not sure how the PPV buy rates compare but I know the WWE has slightly bigger crowds at events because their ticket prices are less.

    That said, like Chilly, I love both.

    wwe is primarily a traveling TV circus. UFC doesn't compete with it on TV, they don't put their actual product on the air for free every week. UFC is all about selling PPV's, just like boxing. TUF is mostly about creating exposure while TV is the lifeblood of wrestling. The PPVs would be meaningless if they are viewed without the shows.

    also in terms of mindshare and popular relevance, MMA is far beyond wrestling.

    Aw, and you were doing so well until that last sentence. "Far beyond" is a stretch that Stretch Armstrong would be jealous of. If anything, it's about even now in America.

    I would have to agree. Wrestling's popularity has been dropping in America over the past decade and MMA has been shooting up in relevance over roughly the same time period, so they're about the same these days. 5 or 10 years from now, though? I think MMA will eclipse it easily unless WWE (and to a lesser extent, TNA) starts building new stars right the hell now.

    It's more difficult to run WWE, I think. On top of all of the traveling that both WWE and UFC stars have to go through, WWE has to write storylines and play out this massive male soap opera in addition to the actual physicality that's happening in the ring. UFC guys just train, travel and fight. No writing required. Much more straightforward.

    But just for fun:

    Wrestling is nowhere as big as it used to be back in the last 90's when shows like Nitro and RAW were pulling in 6's and 7's in the ratings on a regular basis (RAW is lucky to hit 4 nowadays, by comparison).

    MMA, while it's probably the fastest growing sport in the world, doesn't ever hit more than 4, if I'm not mistaken (You can look that up if you'd like). The most watched episode was Roy/Kimbo from last season and I think it might have been in 4 territory. Most TUF episodes are between 1 and 2. It really doesn't matter for a few reasons, though:

    1. UFC programming is, by far, the most popular thing on Spike. They don't have to beat WWE to keep their shows on cable...they just have to beat everything else on their network. And they do.

    2. WWE and UFC really aren't competing, as Sam pointed out. When TUF is on, it doesn't block off RAW or Smackdown. UFC PPVs are on Saturday while WWE PPVs are on Sunday. They aren't trying to compete with each other and really, there's no reason why they should be. There is definitely some crossover between the two audiences (lots of people like to see sweaty dick-punching, whether it be real or staged) I like watching both and I would rather they stay away from each other. Given the choice, I would watch UFC over WWE, but I'd rather not choose. :D


    Also, it makes more sense that WWE wins in cable ratings while the UFC is ahead on PPV buys: WWE has a show every week that you can watch for free on your TV set. If you don't care to pay for the PPV, you don't have to and you can catch up on the results (usually with pictures and video of what happened) the very next night on RAW when you're getting your weekly fix.

    With the UFC, though, all you really have for new material year round is the PPVs. If you want know what happened in video form and you don't want to try and find illegal streams or find stuff on YouTube (most people won't do these things), then you'll have to buy the PPV. There's more incentive with the UFC to cough up the cash for their events since you don't have a weekly show for your MMA jones (disregarding TUF, of course).

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think saying "I watch MMA", certainly carries with it less stigma than "I watch WWE", but I'm an urbanite northerner so... I'd be interested in seeing demographic(especially regional) info for the two, along with merchandising info. I see MMA swag fairly regularly, but can't remember the last time I saw someone sporting a wrestling shirt(although I haven't followed it in a decade, so I am probably missing them).

    tinwhiskers on
    How do you spell Justice?B D S Non-Violent Resistance to Israel Apartheid & Occupation.
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dangerbird on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »
    Yahoo! wrote:
    1. Brock Lesnar is the world’s best heavyweight: The UFC champion’s detractors have been on his case from the moment he entered the company. First, he was “just a pro wrestler,” despite his pedigree as an NCAA wrestling champion. When he won the title from Randy Couture in just his fourth pro fight, all of the sudden Couture was “too old.” When Lesnar beat Frank Mir and avenged his only loss, all of the sudden Mir was “overrated.” Lesnar’s five pro wins now include two over former UFC champs and a comeback victory for the ages over the sport’s heaviest hitter. Fedor Emelianenko tapped away the No. 1 heavyweight slot last week. Cain Velasquez, Lesnar’s next opponent, is impressive and boasts a solid record, but he does not have Lesnar’s quality of opposition to his credit. So until someone takes the belt off his waist, Lesnar is the world’s undisputed best at 265.

    This sums up my thoughts on the matter quite well, actually.
    Yahoo has the most biased articles about the sport of UFC.

    We've been over this. Nearly every section is named after the dominant company of that sport. NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. Its the format they use.

    Hell, looking at the site, its only called UFC in the nav bar. Every other link on the site says "MMA"

    No, Yahoo is definitely biased. They have a financial interest in the UFC that they don't have in those other leagues.

    UFC® announces Yahoo! as new distributor for online PPV
    The Ultimate Fighting Championship and Yahoo! announced earlier today that they have come to terms on a deal that will have the popular internet website become the new online distributor for UFC pay-per-view events via Yahoo! Sports.

    The first event that Yahoo! Sports will broadcast as part of the new agreement will be UFC 82: Pride of a Champion, which takes place on March 1st at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.
    ...
    The two companies began a working relationship in 2007 that had Yahoo! Sports feature exclusive UFC content such as news, photos, interviews, and video content.

    Yahoo has about as much chance of being unbiased as Spike.

    I don't have a problem with anyone ranking Brock ahead of Fedor, and FWIW the Yahoo rankings are voted on by 20+ writers, and only 3 are from Yahoo.

    BubbaT on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    UFC's PPV buys should also be up over the WWE because the WWE is oversaturating their own PPV market. It is of most wrestling fan smark opinion that they should cut back on the amount of PPVs to make them more important, instead of pointless shit like Over the Limit.

    Right now they are not doing a good job of 'protecting' Wrestlemania. I guess the UFC equivalent would be the specially numbered PPVs (100, etc), which they do a good job of protecting and putting together cards people want to see.

    FyreWulff on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    UFC's PPV buys should also be up over the WWE because the WWE is oversaturating their own PPV market. It is of most wrestling fan smark opinion that they should cut back on the amount of PPVs to make them more important, instead of pointless shit like Over the Limit.

    Right now they are not doing a good job of 'protecting' Wrestlemania. I guess the UFC equivalent would be the specially numbered PPVs (100, etc), which they do a good job of protecting and putting together cards people want to see.
    There's an argument that the UFC is over saturating their PPV market, too, some of the more recent cards are ones I'd really struggle to justify paying for if I had to.

    edit: I just realised every fight on the main UFC 117 card (and one of the prelims) is an American vs a Brazillian, weird.

    815165 on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be the first to admit all three can go fuck themselves when it comes to most of their PPVs. I've only payed for 1 Mayweather fight (Mosley), WWE only gets my Money for the Rumble and Wrestlemania, and I'll only buy UFC when it has Brock, GSP, or a highly desired card over all.

    12 PPV's a year is at least 4 too many in my opinion.

    Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm completely with you guys, there's too many PPVs. I know they'll keep doing it so long as their number stay good but I'm just not going to pay for some of these shitty cards.

    Peen on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I disagree, I don't think ufc have too many PPV's. Most of the fighters get to fight like, 2-3 times/year. With injuries and scheduling mishaps, sometimes only once or twice a year. That's not much. As long as they have a good roster, I think their current schedule is fine

    also PPV's are free here so the more the merrier <3

    Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    I disagree, I don't think ufc have too many PPV's. Most of the fighters get to fight like, 2-3 times/year. With injuries and scheduling mishaps, sometimes only once or twice a year. That's not much. As long as they have a good roster, I think their current schedule is fine

    also PPV's are free here so the more the merrier <3

    I'm sure that doesn't bias your opinion in the least. :P

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm completely with you guys, there's too many PPVs. I know they'll keep doing it so long as their number stay good but I'm just not going to pay for some of these shitty cards.

    I agree that some of the PPV cards aren't worth an individual to invest $50 however I don't blame them for doing it. In the end you get 4 of your friends together and get a few pizza's you get a few hours of entertainment and food for $15-$20 each. Or you can go to a sports bar and watch it for a cover charge plus whatever food you buy.

    The UFC doesn't force people to watch events alone, UFC like boxing and wrestling is an event that is more suited to having people come together to lessen the individual cost of the event.

    Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man
    james toney is kinda dumb isnt he

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Drunken rednecks love their soap operas. I think that's why WWE is still so much more popular.

    I also think that most people just don't understand MMA. Look at Mike and Jerry's comic on it. "Twenty minutes of sweaty dick punching." People that post in this thread understand the ground game and what's going on. To most people it looks pretty homo-erotic, I bet.

    I didn't understand it right away either. Took me quite a few events to finally grasp what was going on and what they were doing.

    I only started watching MMA events once I started taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and as such I never had to overcome the "how homoerotic" hurdle.

    Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
Sign In or Register to comment.