As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Very weird Video card problem, help!

redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfixRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, I recently moved, and as we all know, computers don't like relocating.

Once I got it re-set up again, I'm having a very specific and very annoying problem.

i don't think it matter, but I'm using this card

So, it's not seating properly. I can tell visually, as the row of transistors/capacitors/whatever very near the motherboard on the top aren't parallel in relation to the pci-e slot across the length of the card.

I've tried reseating it several, several times, and it still seems to be not all the way in on the left end (towards the rear of the case)

the weird part; if i seat it as well as i can, turn the comp back on, it'll work perfectly well until it goes into sleep mode. Then, to get it to work again, I have to turn it off entirely, reseat it, and turn it back on

hellllp

redfenix on

• Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    am i not being specific enough, or what can i do to better elucidate the problem

i only ask since noone has responded. word.

redfenix on
  • Options
    THE TedTHE Ted Tedoculus OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Its an interesting problem. As far as sleep mode and then not working goes, are you using a different display device than you used before?

If your case uses some kind of tool-less clip mechanism to keep the card in the slot, do anything you can to remove it (the tool-less clip thingy, there are thousands of different ones) and screw the thing into the slot tightly with a screw. Its possible that you either damaged the video card or the slot itself during transit, obviously it doesn't help you now but just for the future it is always a good idea if you are traveling far to take out all the loose components and package them in separate boxes for the move, and put them back in place when you arrive.

Have you considered just not allowing the computer to go into sleep mode? I can't think of any other details you could give other than taking some pictures, which I'd suggest. Also I'd suggest (just to be sure) trying to plug your monitor into the different DVI-output on the card, its possible you're plugging into the secondary output and not the primary output, and that's why it isn't 'waking up' from sleep mode but it does wake up from a cold boot.

THE Ted on
    The train is a lie. The cake is a spy.
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If it works perfectly well until sleep mode than I'd have to guess that it is seated just fine, even though you say it looks like it isn't.

If my GPU isn't seated properly I get a beep and a red light on my card.

Wish I something more helpful to say.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, first thing I would do is pull out the card and carefully examine the card and the PCIE slot (flashlight, get right up in thurr) for anything that could be clogging it up and causing the card to physically not seat correctly.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Given that the computer turns on, it's seated properly, stop worrying a bout it. Caps are often not perfectly angled.

More likely it's a motherboard driver issue, or an outdated BIOS. Check your mobo's site for new drivers, and also check your BIOS for options on sleep/standby. IIRC, you can switch from S1, S3, and a mix compatibilty - I don't know much about it, but I think it's the difference between 'soft' off and 'full' off standby (as in 'push a key' vs 'push the power button' to turn back on). I know my computer only works with the latter, it gets mucked up coming out of sleep with the former.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png