As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Worst bug in a game?

15678911»

• Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Damn, now I'm having doubts too :P

I have to replay the first one before starting ME2 so I'll let you know.

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's what I'm here for. :P

Note, the PC version doesn't have a limit. At least, not one I encountered.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SoM is an extremely buggy game.

Infinite sword orbs anyone?

It also has really poor collision detection.

It's still one of the better 3 player games of all time.
    I remember one time when I rented it (what is it with the rental copy being extra glitchy?), I stepped on one of those yellow springy guys that launches you up to a higher area, and the game locked up. This was during a grinding session and it had been a while since I saved, so naturally I was pissed. Ever since that incident, even after getting the game for myself so I no longer needed to rent it, I always avoided hitting those spring guys for fear that it would lock up again. Most of them are just used as a shortcut and don't actually have to be used (plus I think there were only like 3 or 4 in the game), although there was one that you definitely had to use to progress somewhere, and every time I hit the mandatory one, I was scared it was going to lock up.

SoM was awesome and fun, and I loved the shit out of that game, but holy hell was it buggy and flawed.

What's this about infinite sword orbs?

forty on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why do you need more than ten? I cycled mine but never usually more than five. One save was always made when landing on a planet so that would be the furthest I'd ever have to backtrack. Then I'd save before expected battle, after entering a building, or before thresher maw contact. If you need more than ten, you're saving too much.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    forty wrote: »
    SoM is an extremely buggy game.

Infinite sword orbs anyone?

It also has really poor collision detection.

It's still one of the better 3 player games of all time.
    I remember one time when I rented it (what is it with the rental copy being extra glitchy?), I stepped on one of those yellow springy guys that launches you up to a higher area, and the game locked up. This was during a grinding session and it had been a while since I saved, so naturally I was pissed. Ever since that incident, even after getting the game for myself so I no longer needed to rent it, I always avoided hitting those spring guys for fear that it would lock up again. Most of them are just used as a shortcut and don't actually have to be used (plus I think there were only like 3 or 4 in the game), although there was one that you definitely had to use to progress somewhere, and every time I hit the mandatory one, I was scared it was going to lock up.

SoM was awesome and fun, and I loved the shit out of that game, but holy hell was it buggy and flawed.

What's this about infinite sword orbs?

I don't want to type it out...but someone on GameFAQs did!

Here is how to get the "Mana Sword" permanently, and without a cheating device!

Fly to the ice country on Flammie and look for a small circular island off the immediate coast (trial and error are best here, but its NOT those little itty bitty ice chunks everywhere). You'll know its the right island if you are in a frozen grove with Neko surrounded by purple crystals (this looks like the same area you may encounter Neko on the way to the Ice Palace to fight Frost Gigas).

After that, Save the Game with Neko.
    Immediately after, do a soft reset (L + R + Select + Start).
    Start a New Game, and get to the Mantis Ant fighting as few (i.e. none) Rabites as possible. When you and Elliot take a dive into the pit, wait for him to say "You've got a sword don't you, use it!"
    WHILE THIS TEXT IS ON THE SCREEN, perform another soft reset. BE SURE TO HOLD THOSE FOUR BUTTONS FOR 5+ SECONDS. I don't know why those 5+ seconds are required, but they are.
    When you get back to the title screen, load the game you saved with Neko in the Ice Country. If you did the trick correctly, all three of your characters will be in the pit fighting the Mantis Ant! (If you did it wrong, you'll stare at a blank black screen and the game will freeze) Kill the weak boss (took me one hit...), and collect your "1st" sword orb again. Jema will pull you out and Timmy will call you to the elders house. Rather than risk a crash, call Flammie and high tail it to the nearest Watts location.

You now have the most broken weapon in Secret of Mana at your disposal, without needing to cast Mana Magic ever again.

*Final Note: This trick can be repeated if you wish, but do NOT forge your sword past level 9. The game will glitch and/or crash. You may get your Rusty Sword back, or you may corrupt your save file beyond repair

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Why do you need more than ten? I cycled mine but never usually more than five. One save was always made when landing on a planet so that would be the furthest I'd ever have to backtrack. Then I'd save before expected battle, after entering a building, or before thresher maw contact. If you need more than ten, you're saving too much.

Says you. In a game as buggy as ME1, I'd like to option to save more, especially given Bioware's reputation of game-breaking (literally: savegame corrupting) bugs (though this appears not to have transferred from KOTOR to ME1--at least for me. I know people who lost multiple saves period, but I've been spared).

In addition, I'd like to save when making major decisions, in case I wish to undo them.

And then, I'd like to save simply because certain sections of the game are highly enjoyable (for reasons of dialogue or, though this is pretty unlikely, certain combat sections).

Three saves for bugs, three for decisions and fourfor specific moments aren't enough for me personally. Given the number of bugs you can encounter in ME1, I'd say ten might not be enough if you were sufficiently unlucky.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PC paranoia will consume you. The game is buggy, but not that buggy. I've never lost a save and the only time I've ever had to go all the way back and start a whole planet over is because I personally forgot to save.

You can play however you want, but it sure sounds like the save slot limitations is a problem only because you make it one.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    PC paranoia will consume you. The game is buggy, but not that buggy. I've never lost a save and the only time I've ever had to go all the way back and start a whole planet over is because I personally forgot to save.

You can play however you want, but it sure sounds like the save slot limitations is a problem only because you make it one.

It's also console paranoia (if you've played KOTOR1 on the Xbox, you will have heard of this). Forgetting to save is a mistake I don't make. I like the convenience of being able to replay almost any section when I care to. It's the same reason I like the fact that ME1 allows you to save (for the most part) anywhere, rather than in specific locations.

You can play it however you'd like, but if you want to replay an entire section of the game (or the game as a whole) just to show a friend a specific gem, that's your method. I don't really have the time (and I don't want to either), so I consider that Bioware's doing (given they allowed near-unlimited saves on PC).

If you enjoy the grinding to reach a specific section, or don't care about specific sections, hey, more power to you.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    After that, Save the Game with Neko.
    Immediately after, do a soft reset (L + R + Select + Start).
    Start a New Game, and get to the Mantis Ant fighting as few (i.e. none) Rabites as possible. When you and Elliot take a dive into the pit, wait for him to say "You've got a sword don't you, use it!"
    WHILE THIS TEXT IS ON THE SCREEN, perform another soft reset. BE SURE TO HOLD THOSE FOUR BUTTONS FOR 5+ SECONDS. I don't know why those 5+ seconds are required, but they are.
    When you get back to the title screen, load the game you saved with Neko in the Ice Country. If you did the trick correctly, all three of your characters will be in the pit fighting the Mantis Ant! (If you did it wrong, you'll stare at a blank black screen and the game will freeze) Kill the weak boss (took me one hit...), and collect your "1st" sword orb again. Jema will pull you out and Timmy will call you to the elders house. Rather than risk a crash, call Flammie and high tail it to the nearest Watts location.

You now have the most broken weapon in Secret of Mana at your disposal, without needing to cast Mana Magic ever again.

*Final Note: This trick can be repeated if you wish, but do NOT forge your sword past level 9. The game will glitch and/or crash. You may get your Rusty Sword back, or you may corrupt your save file beyond repair
    Neat! I would have liked to try this back in the day. Although this obviously isn't a bad bug (not saying you were implying it was), and this is insanely obscure, and frankly most games, old and modern, are "buggy" in the sense that nerds doing incredibly obscure shit (who the hell figured this out? and how?) can bug or sequence break them.

forty on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not sure if I mentioned it before, but amid all the other bugs in ME1 I was hit by the overheating bug in the final hours of the game, which resulted in any overheated weapon to remain such until you reloaded.
    So, guess what happened with the final boss fight when I got hit by his Overload? Yeah, that was a fun fight. Just reloaded and ran around like crazy on the second try.

Glal on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I played through almost all of the first level of Daikatana, and then my computer froze. When I rebooted it, my hard drive was wiped.

Looking back, nuking my hard drive with a Daikatana install may have been a feature rather a bug...

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd be amazed if Daikatanagate (seriously, given what we attach the '-gate' suffix to nowadays, it seems worthy of it) hadn't already been mentioned.

EDIT: It was Daikatana, right?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What the hell are you even talking about? I started staggering my saves because of KOTOR1. Specifically the Mission/Carth bug forcing me to go back and replay that whole section. And I've still never had a problem using only five slots plus the autosave.

Uh....you said "PC paranoia", and I explained my fears were actually from the console version of KOTOR, which made me wary. Sorry if that's not what you were addressing, no need to freak.

Bad luck with KOTOR on Xbox (and then on PC, though that was some time later), made me wary of Bioware games, especially given the bugs could be avoided by saving regularly. Which is something I would have preferred to do in Bioware, given the manifestation of other bugs. But I'm one of those people who think having more options is rarely a bad thing.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Neat! I would have liked to try this back in the day. Although this obviously isn't a bad bug (not saying you were implying it was), and this is insanely obscure, and frankly most games, old and modern, are "buggy" in the sense that nerds doing incredibly obscure shit (who the hell figured this out? and how?) can bug or sequence break them.
    Not that this is the worst bug either, but it's worth mentioning: Friend of mine tells me she had a SoM save glitch where an item named "Blat" (like the enemy) was in inventory (using it would black-screen freeze the game) and the party had infinite gold. When she called the Squaresoft (or was it Nintendo? I can't recall) tip line for help, they didn't believe her. She overwrote the file, fearing for her other saves.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I could have sworn there were some pretty bad bugs in Super Mario RPG, but it's been too long.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I could have sworn there were some pretty bad bugs in Super Mario RPG, but it's been too long.

I've played through it a bunch of times and haven't run into any.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

I've played through it a bunch of times and haven't run into any.

I thought there were some bugs that involved falling through walls/detection errors that caused you to fall off screen, in effect. Sort of a hilarious point back to what you could do in Super Mario Bros.

Never mind though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RericReric Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Worse bug I ever had was on the disk version of Quest for Glory 4, basically right towards the end of the game when I was heading to the castle the game would just always crash and give me an error. Never was able to get it to work properly even after patching. Probably one of my favorite games from my early years, still played through it to that point multiple times.

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MeetYourIceMakerMeetYourIceMaker Registered User new member
    Peewi wrote: »
    Oh, a had an awesome Diablo 2 bug once.

The disk exploded inside the CD-ROM drive.

So awesome.

Happened to my WC3 Frozen Throne disc too. At least I could play it with the Reign of Chaos disc and borrow a friend's disc when reinstalling it.

If we're going to talk about awesome hardware failure/bugs... One time I had a CPU cooler (back when fans started to replace heat sinks) and for whatever reason, it spun the wrong way. Anti/Counter clockwise... I can't remember. I attempted to be smart and change the leads (red/black) on the plug, and plugged it in. Not sure what happened, but the thing actually spun so fast it took off like a helicopter. Also, it shorted out my motherboard.

Either you had a defective disc or Super Saiyan must've cursed your disc.

Greetings from Coraline

i_must_reevaluate_my_entire_life_by_spongebobcityman-d8kfdys.jpg

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Wasteland had a bug where you'd get the wrong part to repair a robot needed to progress to the very last area of the game. Whoops, sorry, start a completely new game and hope it doesn't screw you this time. Also, this is in the screeching 1200 baud modem paleolithic ASCII cave art days of the internet, when you couldn't exactly pull up GameFAQs on your phone. So good luck figuring out that you have to start over, without spending hours first searching in vain for that part that just has to be here somewhere.

There was a promotional disc for PS2 with a demo of Viewtiful Joe 2 hat would delete the contents of the player's memory card. I'd like to see that one featured on GB's Demo Derby sometime. Load some ancient saves for old, bad games on the card and give them a viking funeral of sorts, then have Dan think of the best way to ritualistically destroy the CD. "You're not hurting anyone else!"

Arguably the worst programming bug in all of gaming is our own propensity toward nostalgia.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht