As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Worst bug in a game?

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alan Wake:

Having just beaten the game yesterday, several times (probably 6 total) I would find myself against some of the "boss" taken. The regular enemies that move at 5x the normal speed. More often than not, they would sprint away from me so fast, that they would wedge themselves into a corner, and stand perfectly still for an easy kill than was intended.

Shadow Complex:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2592/3881967122_edcab251f7_o.jpg

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    First the ED joke now this. The jokes in this thread are just flying over peoples heads.

Bug.

Bug.

Bug.

My face is really red right now. >_<

Still, Fallout 3 was full of 'em, from radroaches* to Father Clifford refusing to do the stupid wedding and Harkness just standing around like a jerk in the same spot forever.

*Not only literal, but the bastards always spawned inside of things. Inside rubble. Inside desks. Inside walls? Sure, why not! Always spawning in things.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I generally tend to avoid games that are known to have bugs and glitches, but I recently bought Rhapsody (the DS port/remake of the PS1 game) and it has a couple of very annoying glitches. One is where I went to fetch the snow herb needed to cure the sick boy so I could get the dog puppets skill, but every time I entered the room in the dungeon where the herb was, the screen would go black and I would try to move around and I always ended up at the back of the room in a random battle.

The other one was where I was trying to recruit two puppets, Michael and Caroline. The game would freeze unless I changed the language settings of my DS to french.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The worst bug I ever experienced was in World of Warcraft. My First Aid got stuck at 125 and remained stuck for six months until Blizzard patched it.

I had to beg friends to make me higher level bandaids. It sucked.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    I don't know if it was mentioned, but the old Atari version of Impossible Mission was literally impossible because of a key that wouldn't spawn. That one strikes me as being pretty awesome.

A duck! on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't know if it was mentioned, but the old Atari version of Impossible Mission was literally impossible because of a key that wouldn't spawn. That one strikes me as being pretty awesome.

working as intended

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The worst bug I ever experienced was in World of Warcraft. My First Aid got stuck at 125 and remained stuck for six months until Blizzard patched it.

I had to beg friends to make me higher level bandaids. It sucked.

My wife, my friend, and I all played Halo 3 together. Specifically, we played ranked team slayer together.

When we started, I was at Rank 5, my wife at Rank 2, and my friend at Rank 6. When we finally decided to call it quits, I was at Rank 36, my wife at Rank 38, and my friend at Rank 14.

For some reason, Bungie didn't like the idea of my friend ranking up. I told some of the guys in the Halo thread about it, and they told me he must be playing other games besides the ones with us. Except I could go back and look at his record online and see that he didn't, as well as actually winning 9 consecutive matches, and watching myself and my wife rank up 7 times, and him only rank up twice.

It's still stuck to this day, though my friend has moved on from Halo. And just to make sure it wasn't stat based instead of win/lose based, my friend was in the middle ground between the 3 of us. Usually our games had me with 20-25 kills, him with 10-15 kills, and my wife with 5-10 kills.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The bug with invisible Mission in KoToR.

The bugs in the shipping versions of Bioshock (very bad animation and audio stuttering) and Bully: Scholarship Edition for 360 were pretty bad, too. Not so much in that they trashed your drive, but they really were inexcusable. Especially Bully.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One time when I was playing Stalker, with the Oblivion Lost mod, way back in the day.

I was picking off Freedom dudes in their base when I got a head shot that tore the very fabric of space time itself. The body of the poor man multiplied to the size of the entire map, and then back to its original form, and then to the size of a mouse, and then back again. Until he became lodged inside the wall of the Freedom Base.

His torso and head were on one side of the wall, his legs on the other.

I have lost the screen shot, so this will have to do.

NiwuQ.png

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The bug with invisible Mission in KoToR.

The bugs in the shipping versions of Bioshock (very bad animation and audio stuttering) and Bully: Scholarship Edition for 360 were pretty bad, too. Not so much in that they trashed your drive, but they really were inexcusable. Especially Bully.

What kinds of bugs were in Bully? The Scholarship Edition on the Wii seemed fine.

jothki on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The worst bug I can recall was in Lost Planet. I got a free copy with a video card a bought a few years back. I've since run it on 3 different computers and every single time I get nothing but a black screen. Apparently a bunch of people had this issue. I got the game for free so I didn't care, but I'm sure a lot of people returned that game. I hope that Capcom has gotten better with their QA since then.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Borys wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Please explain the bugs like the KOTOR Stealth bug or FF6 Realm Sketch one.

The Relm Sketch one was, iirc, that if you used Relm's "Sketch" command it had a chance of completely wiping your save

That is so... random.

I remember this one, only when I used it, it copied multiple weapons from my characters and dumped them into my inventory. So I suddenly had a few hundred delicious weapons to be used as Throw fodder for Shadow, and most party members had double Atma Weapons. It only made enough to outfit 5 or 6 members of the team, so when I assaulted Kefka's Tower, the rest of the crew wore Illuminas. :P

Yeah I didn't mention it but the Sketch bug could also insta-kill anything, including bosses, dupe items, (I think?) give you free levels, crash the game, and I think...that's it

I didn't see this corrected in the first 3 pages, forgive me if I'm repeating anything, but I believe Relm had to use sketch on an invisible monster for it to bug out the game. Otherwise it was A-OK. Something about trying to generate the image for a monster with the VANISH effect on it caused all kinds of awful, awful problems.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Worst bug was in Might and Magic: Dark Messiah. The game crashed any time a zombie villager was onscreen and I suspect it had something to do with the sounds they made. They moan and I get a blue screen.

Best bug in a game? In the Gameboy Color version of Dragon Quest 3, I leveled up while playing the board game. And I kept leveling. The game leveled my main character from thirty to the 99 max in under a minute.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cronus wrote: »
    The worst bug I can recall was in Lost Planet. I got a free copy with a video card a bought a few years back. I've since run it on 3 different computers and every single time I get nothing but a black screen. Apparently a bunch of people had this issue. I got the game for free so I didn't care, but I'm sure a lot of people returned that game. I hope that Capcom has gotten better with their QA since then.
    I got a free copy of the most recent Alone in the Dark with a video card. After 10 minutes, it crashed so thoroughly that I had to reinstall my video and sound drivers. I didn't even know that could happen.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I also heard the first Extreme Paintbrawl shipped with no AI for your bots or the enemies. As soon as a match started, all the bots ran forward and got stuck on a wall.

Also:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs&feature=fvw

emnmnme on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What was that bug in Master's of Orion 3 that made the game suck?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Cronus wrote: »
    I got a free copy of the most recent Alone in the Dark with a video card. After 10 minutes, it crashed so thoroughly that I had to reinstall my video and sound drivers. I didn't even know that could happen.

consider yourself lucky.

it might have worked perfectly and you might have had to actually play the damnable thing. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It was called MOO3.

Glal on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Wasn't it something about the game toggled the automated governors on when you pressed turn. And since the governor was terrible you had to start every turn resetting the settings on all of your planets.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Most frustrating bugs I've encountered were in V:TM hands down.

The include:
    Sticky run: If I held down the run key, the game would from time to time would cause my character to get stuck running in a straight line. irritating as hell when zombies kill you because the game decides to have you plow into the wall. Mercifully, the patch fixed it.
    Broken dialogue: There was one segment of the gamew where I had to go out of the way to loop around an npc, otherwise he would try and talk to me and the game would get stuck. not crashed, not frozen, but stuck between the part where you stop moving and when the NPC tries to talk to you.
    This door in the golden temple: Theres a bolt that goes across a door in the golden temple, and apparently no way to interact with it.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horde_(video_game)
    The initial 3DO version of the game had a "feature" wherein it deleted all other saved files to make room for The Horde's save file. The publisher eventually recognized this behavior was generally disliked by players, and offered to replace discs with a copy of the game that prompted before deleting other files.[4]

Couscous on
  • Options
    T0rrentT0rrent Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Surprised no one mentioned the wonderful bugs in Final Fantasy 8 on the pc. My two favorites

1. You go into the dream sequence as Laguna for the first time. Hit the first scripted fight. Hear the mushroom make it's noise, then freeze. The problem with this bug is if you knew what to look for, you could just create a new start up since it happens at the begining. Your time played clock would be corrupted from the start and you'd have an obscene amount of gil at the begining. If you never noticed these though, you'd get a couple hours in, then bam, have to start over from the begining.

2. Eve's summoning animation would run at 1-2 frames per second. This along with it being the longest summoning animation in the game meant you could never use it.

T0rrent on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not the absolute worst, but still an insult...

There was this sci-fi romp for the PC called Revolution. I'm pretty sure that an eight year-old with a stack of construction paper and a box full of green crayons was responsible for the concept art. After slogging through generic environments that would make Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza seem like the Mecca of first-person shooters, you were greeted with a door that simply wouldn't open, no matter how hard you tried.

You see, there was a lever or a button or some shit that had no trigger attached to it. It was simply a piece of in-game art without any associated action. You needed to manipulate it to open the door, but that wasn't possible without a patch.

The patch, by the way? It erased all of your save games. Thank you for purchasing our product.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Please explain the bugs like the KOTOR Stealth bug or FF6 Realm Sketch one.

KotOR Stealth bug (IIRC):
    At a certain point in the game, your party gets split up and you take control of one of the characters and have to use his/her/it's unique skills to rescue the rest of the team. For me this means watching a psychopathic assassin droid butcher it's way through sith troopers with it's bare hands, so no real problem there.

For others though, it meant using the scoundrel (read: space-rogue) to stealth up and sneak the weapons out of storage and back to the team. After you save the team you enter a cutscene. In the cutscene one of the characters tries to speak to the PC that saved them, but if the rogue is stealthed it requires a perception check. If the perception check fails (very likely), the conversation never happens, so the entire team is left standing around in an awkward silence until the player restarts at an earlier save and remembers to unstealth before the cutscene happens.

It is possible to bypass that bug (on the XBox) by crazily mashing all the buttons on your controller at random. Not sure how it works, but it fixed it for me after about 5 minutes of trying.

No that just means that carth finally succeeded on his perception check.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My two most frustrating bugs (directly proportional to time lost; something that ends up being kinda funny and just forces a reload doesn't count at all in my book anymore).

1) My insanity playthrough on ME2 didn't register the achievement. No, I never switched the difficulty. As an adept no less. There's 30 frustrating hours down the drain (yeah yeah personal accomplishment blah blah - thing is I was so close to 1000).

2) POP:WW. I got the "ungrabbable ledge" bug where I couldn't backtrack to collect all of the upgrades at the end. I wanted to 100% the game and ended up playing the entire thing again.

I will say though that the Viewtiful Joe wiping saves bug is the scariest one I ever dodged. I had literally hundreds of hours of various games on my memory card and losing it all would have been disastrous.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Worst bug ever?

navifairy.jpg
    flyswatter.jpg

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rastan Saga (ラスタンサーガ?), known in North America simply as Rastan, is a 1987 hack and slash platform arcade game developed and published by Taito.

The Commodore 64 version of the game, called simply Rastan, was impossible to finish because of a bug early in the game. This bug prevented a player from making a critical jump from one platform to the other - Rastan would always fall short of the intended point and could never make it across.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Set_Willy
    Jet Set Willy is a computer game originally written for the ZX Spectrum home computer. It was published in 1984 by Software Projects and ported to most home computers of the time.

As originally released, the game could not be completed due to several bugs. Although actually four completely unrelated issues, they became known collectively as "The Attic Bug".

Initially Software Projects attempted to pass off the most severe - The Attic bug itself - as an intentional feature to make the game more difficult, claiming that the rooms in question were filled with poison gas. However, they later rescinded this claim and issued a set of POKEs to correct the flaws.[1]

The most notorious bug was the The Attic Bug. After the player entered the room The Attic, various rooms would undergo corruption on all subsequent game plays, including all monsters disappearing from The Chapel, and other screens triggering instant death. This was caused by an error in the path of an arrow in The Attic, resulting in the sprite travelling past the end of the Spectrum's video memory and overwriting crucial game data instead. This bears similarities to a buffer overflow, and as such is an early example of such an error - and the problems it can cause.
    An item under The Conservatory Roof was placed too close to both the screen entrance and a killer object making it impossible to collect. The Software Projects fix removed the killer object.

There was an invisible and impossible to reach item in First Landing. The Software Projects fix relocated the item to The Hall - although some fixes relocated the object to The Bathroom where it became visible as another tap item. (By poking value 33, instead of 11.)

The Banyan Tree was impassable in an upward direction - the Software Projects fix changed the status of an essential block from solid to passable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Xtreme_Racer_3
    Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 is the North American release of Shutokou Battle 01 and the sequel to Genki's 1999 game Tokyo Xtreme Racer, 2000 game Tokyo Xtreme Racer: 2 and 2001 game Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero. The game had a limited release in North America but was not published in Europe unlike the series' previous episodes. This is the last game in the series to take place on Tokyo Highways. The later games for PlayStation 2 were Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Drift and Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Drift 2 and took place in the mountains of Japan.

The North American release of this game cannot be completed without the aid of a game enhancement device. "Whirlwind Fanfare" requires the player to have 100,000,000 CP, which is normally unattainable as the maximum amount of CP a player can have is 99,999,990. Because of this, it is not possible for the player to complete the game, in order to face the final boss. In actual truth, the player was really supposed to need 1,000,000 CP (1 CP in the American release was 100 CP in the Japanese release, making it that 1,000,000 CP in the American release to be 100,000,000 CP in the Japanese release) to face "Whirlwind Fanfare", however, it never got corrected in the American release. The only way to race "Whirlwind Fanfare" is to use a cheat device such as "Gameshark" and use code to acquire 100,000,000 CP (or infinite CP).

Couscous on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Having just watched AVGN review Action 52, that has to be the buggiest game of all time, as well as being the shittiest.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    did anybody mention that bungie RTS that when uninstalling would completely wipe whatever drive it was on

somebody mention that.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    oh its literally a comic in the second post

egg-on-face1.jpg

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    SoaL wrote: »
    did anybody mention that bungie RTS that when uninstalling would completely wipe whatever drive it was on

somebody mention that.

not only was it the first reply but the bug never actually made it to shelves

edit: expert ninjapost

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oblivion on PS3. The whole game.

Actually, here are the worst offenders:

- Thieves Guild, final quest: If you go to the wrong place too early, the quests go out of whack, and the final act of the last quest will always get stuck, with the
    Gray Fox leaving you without your cowl, you stuck inside the cutscene forever.

- When you become a vampire, you are one forever, since the quest to fix it is broken.

It should be noted that both of these are impossible to fix in the GOTY edition. Note to Bethesda: If you're going to release a game on a system, you better support it all the way.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not the absolute worst, but still an insult...

There was this sci-fi romp for the PC called Revolution. I'm pretty sure that an eight year-old with a stack of construction paper and a box full of green crayons was responsible for the concept art. After slogging through generic environments that would make Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza seem like the Mecca of first-person shooters, you were greeted with a door that simply wouldn't open, no matter how hard you tried.

You see, there was a lever or a button or some shit that had no trigger attached to it. It was simply a piece of in-game art without any associated action. You needed to manipulate it to open the door, but that wasn't possible without a patch.

The patch, by the way? It erased all of your save games. Thank you for purchasing our product.

I remember that game. It was pretty good until it turned into team deathmatch with bots. A really weird twist. I must have gotten the game post the above patch, but that reminds me that I did find another.

You could use a remote control rat to activate stuff, and I opened a door using it. However that was the next objective that I wasn't supposed to get to until completing my current one. This broke the scripting for the level and I had to restart it from scratch. I think I stopped playing around there. It had already lost it's luster with the previously mentioned bot team deathmatch.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To that guy who mentioned Silent Hill: Homecoming, I actually got through that game without encountering one bug, or nothing I noticed at least. The in-game cinemas ended aburuptly but that was an installing error on Sony's part.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone mentioned anything with Halo Life? I remember having to literally be in air while in an elevator while the game was loading or it'd freeze up. It basically meant timing up your jump perfecting to be in the air when loading... came up. I also remember being thrown in a crusher, and not knowing my crowbar was sitting nearby. I continued on, it auto saved and I saved, and I was screwed when I came to a vent shaft covered up.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There was a glitch in Naruto: Clash Of Ninja 3 for Gamecube, at least in the Japanese version. CS2 Sasuke had a special wherein he would chuck a giant burning rock forward and down. If both players were him and did that special at the same time, the rocks would grind against each other forever, making the most horrible noise. The cube would slow down to a slideshow and eventually lock up.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Toma wrote: »
    Oblivion on PS3. The whole game.

Actually, here are the worst offenders:

- Thieves Guild, final quest: If you go to the wrong place too early, the quests go out of whack, and the final act of the last quest will always get stuck, with the
    Gray Fox leaving you without your cowl, you stuck inside the cutscene forever.

- When you become a vampire, you are one forever, since the quest to fix it is broken.

It should be noted that both of these are impossible to fix in the GOTY edition. Note to Bethesda: If you're going to release a game on a system, you better support it all the way.

With any Bethesda game, you are better off getting the PC version. It is usually up to the fans to make that final pass.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm sure someone has said this already, but the Carth bug in KOTOR. If you didn't uncloak that one character about 30 minutes before you escaped from that ship and Carth's intelligence or whatever wasn't high enough to "perceive" her, you got frozen at a cut-scene because apparently the game used real in-game stats to determine things for cut-scenes.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not really a bug but if you save before a certain fight in FFT without leveling up far enough

well.

that's it. you can't go back. you can't win. you're stuck.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Not really a bug but a huge oversight: the point of no return save spot in Starfox Adventures. Wanted to 100% the game? Well fuck you, time to start over.

Also a classic one was the versions of OoT that let you lose the master sword.

FyreWulff on