As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TENNIS] is a game about smacking balls

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It might have been lucky, but it wasn't that Rosol was playing bad and Nadal was playing worse. Rosol was hitting some goddamn amazing shots there, especially in that last game. Three aces to win the match? Fuuuuuuck.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I am so amazed that Clijsters can be out with injuries and still come back and kick ass and take names at a slam.

Also, Radwanska demolished a British player on Centre Court today and only like 6 people clapped when she won points. Wimbledon is the French Open but with passive aggression instead of rudeness.

steam_sig.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Federer was this close to going out. Once he won the tie break though I knew it was never in doubt.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Federer was this close to going out. Once he won the tie break though I knew it was never in doubt.

If there's one thing this year's Wimbledon is teaching us, it's that the rest of the field is quickly catching up to the world's elite. But it was Fed's experience and composure during that 4th set tiebreak that really helped separate the winners from the also-rans.

There was one shot he hit during the 4th set that was pretty memorable--I'll see if I can describe it-- Benneteau tried a weak passing shot, and Fed took the ball right off the other guy's racket, no bounce, mid run, while charging the net. He also seemed to change grips and cut the ball with a vicious front step that I don't think I've ever seen him do before. Result? Winner, right on the baseline. It wasn't part of a classic long rally filled with clever drop shots or anything, but it was a pretty darn amazing and unexpected.

The move seemed to completely surprise Benneteau and interfere with his timing. And since the Frenchman was already having conditioning issues, you just knew that the fifth set was going to be all Roger's after that.

That was the difference in championship level play the other day. That one point in that one tiebreak in that one set. Man, I love Wimbledon. :D

• Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    So, Yaroslava Shvedova played a perfect set today against Sara Errani. Only happened once before at the professional level in the Open era, men's or women's.

Steam: simon moon
    Yeah, there's been some crazy stuff like that. Radwanska won her second round match without making a single unforced error.

steam_sig.png
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    LUKAS ROSOL IS NOT JUST SOME GUY! Some Guy holds a 3:1 h2h record vs Rosol.

If there's one thing this year's Wimbledon is teaching us, it's that the rest of the field is quickly catching up to the world's elite. But it was Fed's experience and composure during that 4th set tiebreak that really helped separate the winners from the also-rans.

There was one shot he hit during the 4th set that was pretty memorable--I'll see if I can describe it-- Benneteau tried a weak passing shot, and Fed took the ball right off the other guy's racket, no bounce, mid run, while charging the net. He also seemed to change grips and cut the ball with a vicious front step that I don't think I've ever seen him do before. Result? Winner, right on the baseline. It wasn't part of a classic long rally filled with clever drop shots or anything, but it was a pretty darn amazing and unexpected.

The move seemed to completely surprise Benneteau and interfere with his timing. And since the Frenchman was already having conditioning issues, you just knew that the fifth set was going to be all Roger's after that.

That was the difference in championship level play the other day. That one point in that one tiebreak in that one set. Man, I love Wimbledon. :D

On the other hand during the 4th set you could see Federer visibly lose confidence in his back hand. four times (I think) in the closing stages of the 4th set he ran round to get onto his forehand. Admittedly two of those were then winners but that's not something you should be doing on a shot to shot basis.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

If there is one thing that this year's Wimbledon's teaching it's that the length of the grass season needs to be adjusted.

On the other hand during the 4th set you could see Federer visibly lose confidence in his back hand. four times (I think) in the closing stages of the 4th set he ran round to get onto his forehand. Admittedly two of those were then winners but that's not something you should be doing on a shot to shot basis.

That's not quite as uncommon as you may think. Fed has only been doing this his whole career, and was even a bit of a trendsetter for other players who would model their game after his, and would run around their backhands themselves. It's not surprising, since Roger Federer has one of the best forehands in all of tennis.

While his forehand is the more powerful of his two strokes--great for cutting down on the reaction time of a mobile opponent on a ridiculously fast surface--it's not like players can ever meaningfully attack his backhand either. The Fed backhand is a one hander (rare in the men's game these days) but he always hits it so cleanly and smoothly. Not powerfully, but effortlessly. Gracefully. When you think of Fed, you think of the most technically sound player perhaps of all time, free of any true weaknesses.

In any case, I would actually be surprised if Federer doesn't break Sampras' Wimbledon record before he's done. He's 31 and running out of time, but his relatively injury-free career and impeccable training and conditioning regimen will probably give him a couple more years' worth of meaningful chances at it.

That's not quite as uncommon as you may think. Fed has only been doing this his whole career, and was even a bit of a trendsetter for other players who would model their game after his, and would run around their backhands themselves. It's not surprising, since Roger Federer has one of the best forehands in all of tennis.

While his forehand is the more powerful of his two strokes--great for cutting down on the reaction time of a mobile opponent on a ridiculously fast surface--it's not like players can ever meaningfully attack his backhand either. The Fed backhand is a one hander (rare in the men's game these days) but he always hits it so cleanly and smoothly. Not powerfully, but effortlessly. Gracefully. When you think of Fed, you think of the most technically sound player perhaps of all time, free of any true weaknesses.

In any case, I would actually be surprised if Federer doesn't break Sampras' Wimbledon record before he's done. He's 31 and running out of time, but his relatively injury-free career and impeccable training and conditioning regimen will probably give him a couple more years' worth of meaningful chances at it.

I disagree about Federer's backhand and think his backhand is the main reason Nadal plays so well against him. Federer hits his backhand very well unless the ball flies up high, where he can't get the leverage he needs with only one hand. This is also, probably, why Djokovic has fewer problems with the insane top spin someone like Nadal generates. Fed's backhand is definitely a weakness if he's playing against someone who can generate a lot of spin and hit the ball consistently to his backhand. He has gotten better at handling it, but some of the better clay court players can take advantage of his backhand whereas someone like Djokovic or Murray is less susceptible.

I also don't think he has the best one handed backhand in the game. I think that honor goes to Wawrinka.

steam_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Haas has/had the best backhand I ever saw.

But what a weekend. Roddick out, again, Querry out after a marathon 5th set, Fish is still in and up a set during a rain delay, Clijsters out, Nishikori out,, Federer nearly going out. A real changing of the guard this year.

One thing I didn't realize is that ESPN now has full Wimbledon rights now, not just early rounds? I watch streams online during the day, but I expected some Wimbledon on NBC on the weekend but a highlight reel shows up on the non-playing Sunday on ABC. That kind of sucks, because I can't stand ESPN.

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Andy hasn't been the same since losing to Fed in that epic final...wish it had been 16-14 the other way! I guess time to cheer for Mardy now that both Roddick and Sam are out.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

TexiKen wrote: »
    Haas has/had the best backhand I ever saw.

But what a weekend. Roddick out, again, Querry out after a marathon 5th set, Fish is still in and up a set during a rain delay, Clijsters out, Nishikori out,, Federer nearly going out. A real changing of the guard this year.

One thing I didn't realize is that ESPN now has full Wimbledon rights now, not just early rounds? I watch streams online during the day, but I expected some Wimbledon on NBC on the weekend but a highlight reel shows up on the non-playing Sunday on ABC. That kind of sucks, because I can't stand ESPN.

Nalbandian best double handed backhand(pre-djoko), Almagro best single handed backhand. EASY.

edited July 2012
    The claim wasn't that Federer's backhand was the best in tennis or even the better of his two strokes, since that acclaim goes to his forehand. It was an answer to this idea that Federer running around his backhand was some recent development related to his "lack of confidence in the stroke" now, in 2012. It's of course bogus and false, since running around his backhand is something Roger Federer is literally well-known for and has been doing his entire 14-year career. It's beyond silly to believe that Fed would have no confidence in the stroke the entire time he's been doing this, as both a young player and an old one, and then would go on to win 16 majors anyway, in addition to representing a degree of presumption and mind-reading that no internet forums poster could possibly ever have.

Clijsters:

The Clijsters elimination match looked the most one-sided. She was getting run all over the court and was pulling the ball in a very artificial-looking way. Between the nagging injuries and her age, it's probably time to pack it in. I like her quite a bit, and greatly admired her for playing the game, taking time out to start a family, and then coming back to the game as a winner. Few top players can go on hiatus like that while still retaining their winning form. But ultimately, they all know when it's time. This was reportedly Clijsters' last Wimbledon, and then she will compete in the U.S. Open, and then that will be her last major. It's saddening sometimes, but tennis can be so unforgiving and uncompromising to its older players.

Form of Monkey! on
    Rain cancels out play today, this is why Wimbledon needs to stop the mandatory no-play on Sunday. At the very least if there is rain you push the matches to Centre Court and get a few done on Sunday so it doesn't create unfair backlog on the players.

So will Andy Murray beat Tsonga and go on to become the first British subject to play in the Wimbledon finals since 1938?

Things are not looking bad for him so far.

As for the first SF, I only watched the last two sets, but it never felt like Roger was in any danger.

I would like either Murray or Tsonga to win the whole thing, but the crowd so far doesn't seem to be like they were when it was Roddick/Murray in 09, where it was Davis Cup atmosphere. Maybe if Murray wins they'll be really pumped up for Sunday, or they're bracing for a super collapse.

They're definitely a quiet bunch. My read on it is cautious optimism, a desire by the hometown crowd not to create expectations their guy can't meet. This is Andy Murray we're talking about, after all.

Doubles really is the best form of tennis, always preferred playing it to singles always preferred watching it. A final worthy of the name.

• xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Tennis is boring when the same two or three people win all the time.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    xraydog wrote: »

When is the last time you did not find the men's game boring?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited July 2012
    redx wrote: »
    xraydog wrote: »

When is the last time you did not find the men's game boring?

Actually, matches with lower ranked players can be really interesting. The famous Isner/Mahut match from two years ago comes to mind. Guys like Tsonga, Monfils and Verdasco are always fun to watch. Too bad they usually don't go far into the second week of a slam. Also Henman, remember Henman? He had a beautiful serve and volley game that you don't see much any more.

xraydog on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    You don't see serve/volley much because they made the balls bigger and hairier, which means they slow down more. It was done deliberately to stop the rise of the service-cannon players in the 90s.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Well the top matches would be a lot more fun when they're not anyone vs. Nadal on clay, or anyone playing Murray. You defnitely get your money with Nadal/Djokovic of the top players, and Federer works when it's a certain surface, like grass. Dude still has his eyes on the prize, and he looked like he was just having fun today compared to every other final I've seen him in outside of the 04 US Open final where he just whupped Hewitt.

The final felt exactly like the SF between Federer and Djokovic, a set lost but nothing to really worry about. Murray didn't go completely crazy but at the same time he accepted his fate, which was a lot different from Roddick in 09 where you could see the dude's heart break. I do find a little symmetry in Murray being coached by Lendl, who never won Wimbledon himself. I thought the crowd would get into it more but it felt like it was a bunch of old yuppies who just showed up for the final not because they like or follow tennis, but because they might witness history, the kind who couldn't tell you who any players are outside of the top 4. This might be the usual thing in London during the two weeks but it felt more in force today.

Oh well, congrats Federer, we'll see everybody back here in two weeks, let's see if Nadal can repeat a gold medal or Federer gets the one thing that's eluded him.

It wasn't just Roddick's heart that broke in that match; with the exception of the Spring U.S. hard court swing in 2010, he's been a non-factor ever since.

Really looking forward to the Olympics. I'm kinda hoping for Federer to win, just because I want to see whether he'd retire or coast for a bit, but my gut tells me that it's neither Fed nor Nadal this year.

Well, my gut is already right about Nadal; he withdrew with knee tendinitis.

It would be cool if David Ferrer caught fire and won the gold, it would be some kind of universal appreciation for how he's really busted his butt this year. Not quite good enough to win a grand slam or masters, so here's a gold medal.

Though the idea of Federer/Murray 2012 II: Reckoning would be fun to see.

I'd love to see David take at least a Bronze, which should be doable now that he will be the fourth seed.

steam_sig.png
    So Andy Murray wins at Wimbledon. Sort of. Didn't get to watch any of the medal matches, but judging from the score line, it was an old fashioned whoopin'. Also, maybe del Potro is finally back? Be interesting to see how he fits in to the top of the game if so.

It was one sided from the beginning, and Federer seemed to think it was no problem until the third game of the second set that went on forever and Murray held composure to go up 3-0. After that Murray just held steady, had a running forehand on fire, and didn't over think things like playing oodles of drop shots.

Whoa, so, things are happening at the US Open.

Kim Clijsters played her last singles match ever (again) last night. She went out to Laura Robson, who you may remember from the Mixed Doubles final at the Olympics. She took silver with Andy Murray. Kim Clijsters was (almost always) a joy to watch, and I will miss her.

Andy Roddick just announced that he is retiring after the US Open this year. I know we were all speculating on his retirement some time back in the thread, and it's happening. The US Open will be his last tournament. This is probably appropriate given that it's the only major he's won.

Nadal is still out with an inflammation of the fat in his knee. It's apparently painful but not career threatening. It's nice that it allowed Ferrer to be the 4th seed and maybe get a chance to go a bit deeper in this tournament before he comes up against someone like Federer or Nole.

steam_sig.png
    I was just about to post the Roddick thing. It's a good move by Roddick (maybe foreshadowed by Isner being sponsored by Lacoste?), and he's got the human equivalent of being put out to stud with that hot wife of his. I guess Hewitt will be the next one to call it a wrap, maybe in Melbourne next year.

As for Nadal, I hope he's still got a few more years before he plays clay only; he needs to win one or two more non-FO slams just to allow balance so we can say he's in the running for greatest player ever, now that Federer seems to have his groove back.

Nishikori, I will continue to say he will break through this year. I would love Murray to ride the Olympic wave and break through again, or Ferrer to carry Spain in Nadal's absence.

On top of Clijsters losing so soon, Wozniacki lost in the first round, I don't know what's going on with her but she's completely dropped off. And Tsonga lost early too.

edited August 2012
    Yeah, I think Tsonga's loss is the biggest upset so far. The scoreline in that match was fucking weird: 6-4, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3.. Oookay... He was interviewed after the match and he seemed to be in good spirits about it. His response as to why he lost was basically just "meh, had a weird day. Oh well." He's always seemed like a cool guy.

The last time Nadal was out like this was in 2009, and he had one hell of a 2010, so I'm hoping something similar happens here.

I would love Kei, Murray, and Ferrer to all do well. Kei's part of the draw is pretty wide open if I remember correctly.

Roddick has a (potentially) tough match today against Tomic, but if he beats Tomic he will probably make it another couple of rounds. It would be nice to see him stick around at least through the first weekend.

Venus went out to Kerber last night. Kerber has had a ridiculous year. She was ranked in the mid 100's this time last year, and she's ranked 8 now.

It's also worth mentioning that, for those of you in the US, the US Open streams the matches from six of the courts online for free: www.usopen.org

Whoa... And, Laura Robson (who beat Clijsters) just upset Li Na... She's definitely someone to keep an eye on as an up and comer.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    And there we go, one more American gone forever.

The match kind of reflected Roddick's career (everything the first two sets, complacent and accepting the last two, Del Potro sure looked like he decided to let Roddick win his last service game just to not make it look bad), and there has to be some sad coincidence in the fact of a rain delay costing the man another chance to be a champion.

Ah well, we'll probably see him in the commentary booth next year, if only Agassi would do more of them, he is seriously fantastic at it.

It's kind of a blah event so far, Stosur is out, Nishikori lost after I endorsed him, Fish did a walkover for Federer, Sharapova shrieks her way past Bartolli....

Agassi is commentating on the men's final this year, so you'll have that to look forward to.

I'm feeling the same as you. Once Clijsters and Radwanska went out, I found myself caring a whole lot less.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2012
    So the amazon and the second big screamer are in the women's final, bleh. I guess I'd root for Azarenka.

The men's side actually got interesting since Wednesday, with Federer losing and Berdych and Ferrer both getting to the semis. If they could actually meet in the final that would be a fun match to watch just for the change of pace.

edit: that's a bullshit thing for the second semi-final match, Ferrer should be pissed.

TexiKen on
    That was some exceptional bullshit. They should have at least let Ferrer serve it out. Seriously, it's too fucking bad for Djokovic that he wasn't adapting as well, but he should be down a set right now.

steam_sig.png
    They should have played both of them at the same time. I can't understand why they didn't.

Well, the US Open screwed over Ferrer, Djokovic wins easily in four sets. I don't know why they started it so early too, that had to have messed with Ferrer (but it doesn't matter what he thinks, apparently).

Go Murray.