As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TENNIS] is a game about smacking balls

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Cilic is the dark horse who can take on anyone and has quiet power, it would be nice to see him win. And I don't care for Murray anymore so go Pospisil.

I would have loved to see a Federer/Wawrinka final. And really I want either of them to win.

One thing that happened over the weekend was the crowd getting up in Serena's grill (she was playing against a british player so it was David Cupish), but I loved how she got all pissy (and nearly lost) and oblivious to how she looks when she's telling the umpire the crowd is too loud.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Cilic is the dark horse who can take on anyone and has quiet power, it would be nice to see him win. And I don't care for Murray anymore so go Pospisil.

I would have loved to see a Federer/Wawrinka final. And really I want either of them to win.

One thing that happened over the weekend was the crowd getting up in Serena's grill (she was playing against a british player so it was David Cupish), but I loved how she got all pissy (and nearly lost) and oblivious to how she looks when she's telling the umpire the crowd is too loud.

Booooo! Why not TexiKen? Murray is good people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Can we just talk about Djokovic easily being the greatest tennis player of all time. Holy shit.

And I'll be there tomorrow

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Murray seems to be a good guy off the court, not denying that. But I got tired of his talk to himself rope a doping and I do sort of hate how the weight of the world is/was put on his shoulders all the time in London so cheap dropshots are seen as ok but he got pissy when it was done to him.

And I've never really liked him at Wimbledon because if Roddick didn't have to show his hand with what Connors taught him in their '09 SF, he would have beat Federer finally (oh God, I still think about that second set tiebreak in the final where Roddick didn't want to smash a lob and then it got behind him and saved Federer who later won the set).

What I've just written is completely irrational, I know, and Roddick can be a jerk too, but it was one of the few times where in Federer's prime someone was willing to take him on without fear and whose name wasn't Nadal and it was so different from Murray choking in every final until the Olympics.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Can we just talk about Djokovic easily being the greatest tennis player of all time. Holy shit.

And I'll be there tomorrow

Djokovic has a long way to go to be in that conversation.

Is this your first time at Wimbledon? You have to tell us all about it!

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Murray seems to be a good guy off the court, not denying that. But I got tired of his talk to himself rope a doping and I do sort of hate how the weight of the world is/was put on his shoulders all the time in London so cheap dropshots are seen as ok but he got pissy when it was done to him.

And I've never really liked him at Wimbledon because if Roddick didn't have to show his hand with what Connors taught him in their '09 SF, he would have beat Federer finally (oh God, I still think about that second set tiebreak in the final where Roddick didn't want to smash a lob and then it got behind him and saved Federer who later won the set).

What I've just written is completely irrational, I know, and Roddick can be a jerk too, but it was one of the few times where in Federer's prime someone was willing to take him on without fear and whose name wasn't Nadal and it was so different from Murray choking in every final until the Olympics.

That match should have been Roddick's. He should have had at least one more major than the US Open in 2003 (which was huge, of course, but Roddick was better than just one).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    p.s. my favourite moment in Tennis, nay, sporting history, is Goran Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon as a wildcard entry in 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcdVy_7ps_s

• Options
    That was one of the best Wimbledon matches because it was played on a Monday which meant public first come first serve seating and it was like a Davis Cup match. And Ivanisevic beat up on Roddick that year in the early rounds when he was in his dudebro wearing a visor era.

Pat Rafter should have won more than two majors, and should have been #1 in the world outside of a weird ranking anomaly (one of Sampras' tournaments was pushed to 2 weeks later in the year so he lost those points immediately because it's a 52 week system, which made Rafter the #1 player for a week)

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Federer was just sublime against Murray today. Should be an almighty match on Sunday.

• Options
    These are almost superhuman stats. Unreal.

fgr66oons7q8.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The record books will say Murray lost in straight sets. In truth, Murray played a hell of a match. But Federer was just on another planet.

• Options
    56 winners versus 11 unforced errors.

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT IN A WIMBLEDON SEMIFINAL MATCH?

Murray's numbers were amazing, too. That's the best part. Murray didn't fold like he has in oh so many Australian Open finals. Murray played a hell of a match, but he was outplayed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Go Federer, in a sense you're also fighting for Nadal too. Federer/Djokovic have played 39 times officially, and it's 20-19 federer. That's a big stat

And another women's final with a no name and serena, which will be a bagel/breadstick first set followed by a closer but still easy serena win. I know Williams lost to the Spaniard at Roland Garros but the grass moves too fast and I don't expect the same thing.

• Options
    Muguruza is only a no name if you don't follow the women's game.

She's been an up and comer for a year or so now. I've watched a few of her matches, and she's been pretty in form. She's playing quick strike, 1-2 pattern stuff, and she's been hitting the lines. I think Serena will win, but I could see Muguruza giving her some trouble.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Given the way that Federer is playing now, I think that a match to rival The Match in 2008 for the Greatest Match Ever title might be on tap.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    No matter how long Djokovic manages to stay on top, I don't think that in his prime he could take either Federer or Nadal in theirs.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Muguruza is only a no name if you don't follow the women's game.

She's been an up and comer for a year or so now. I've watched a few of her matches, and she's been pretty in form. She's playing quick strike, 1-2 pattern stuff, and she's been hitting the lines. I think Serena will win, but I could see Muguruza giving her some trouble.

Muguruza also has come across very nicely in interviews I've seen, she seems sweet and personable as well as a tough competitor. I think she'll win a lot of fans tomorrow regardless of the result. *checks clock* Er, later today.

Jazz on
  • Options
    No matter how long Djokovic manages to stay on top, I don't think that in his prime he could take either Federer or Nadal in theirs.

This is the frustrating thing about putting Djokovic with the all time great level of discussion.

He's great, no denying that. But with Federer and Nadal fighting each other so long just a few years before Nole got into his gluten free mode, they wore each other out and just haven't been there to stand up to him. Nadal has fought him more than Federer in his prime, and we've gotten some great matches between them (this is my contention for Nadal being the best, he's the #1 rival for two of the greatest players ever).

But Murray shows up sometimes. Wawrinka is now at the top level but it might be for a short time. Raonic, Berdych, and Tsonga have no consistency to them. Nishikori still has years ahead of him.

• Options
    Raonic, Berdych, and Tsonga are all hard for me to root for for various other reasons not relating to their games.

Nishikori is so exciting and electric to watch when he's playing well. I hope he can get more consistent and win a slam. We know he has it in him. Can't believe he lost to Cilic of all people. (Not that Cilic didn't earn it. He had a hell of a run at the US Open last year, but I don't think anyone sees him defending that title.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah Nishikori is entertaining as hell. I'd love to see him in the top 5.

• Options
    That was a good final. Muguruza fought back, and there were some good momentum shifts throughout. When Serena is playing well she's just on another level.

Muguruza continues to be sweetness and light, and I hope she can keep her shit together and not fall into a slump now that she's made the big time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    bbc_3372772b.jpg
    Straight sets victory for McEnroe.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Looks to me like Novak's got Roger's number here. Federer seems really out of sorts.

• Options

Today, Djokovic is best at tennis.

• Options
    Normally I don't bump this thread for masters tournaments, but, well, Kyrgios: http://deadspin.com/nick-kyrgios-to-stan-wawrinka-kokkinakis-banged-your-1723811501

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Normally I don't bump this thread for masters tournaments, but, well, Kyrgios: http://deadspin.com/nick-kyrgios-to-stan-wawrinka-kokkinakis-banged-your-1723811501

Class act. Tennis players are truly the most dignified of athletes. :P

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Oh wow is it US Open time already? Shit.

The best hard court slam is here, folks!

• Options
    For whatever reason, they changed over the ESPN for all of their streaming now, and I've noticed a drop in quality in the streams when I watch from work.

I still record the courts that I want on the DVR and watch them when I get home, but if I'm just sneaking a couple of games during a break or something at work it's a pain when it's so pixelated I can't see the ball.

Even though Rafa lost, the Nadal/Fognini match was really high quality. Azarenka/Kerber might be the best match I have seen so far, though. It was just ridiculously high quality throughout. Both players were going for it and maintained a high level throughout. Really slim margins even though Vika took it in the end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sadly, I think Nadal's done. The US Open match clinched it for me. Gone are the days of Federer/Nadal at the top of their game. Those are still giant shoes to fill, though.

• Options
    I've got so many matches backed up, I still need to watch the Hewitt/Tomic match, which is just the worst way to end your career, to the douchebag who is bringing Aussie tennis down with his bling earring buddy.

I saw Nishikori lost int eh first round and ouch ouch ouch those points are going to really hurt him. And Raonic lost early too, which is throwing everything out of whack. And now Donald Young is the new bandwagon for the media because they're just acting like he hasn't been a complete asshole since he got into the professional level almost seven years ago.

• Options
    I actually think Donald Young has mellowed since he first got to the pro level, but he's kind of a weird story in general. He won Kalamazoo (beating Sam Querrey), and he was supposed to be the next big thing for US Men's tennis, but he has done nothing to move up in the pro game. Querrey has obviously made great strides since he was a junior, but Young just never seemed to do anything with all that momentum.

That said, I watched him close out his match yesterday, and he played really well. It probably helps to have the crowd on your side, which he said during the on court interview, but he played well. I guess we'll see how much of a fluke it was.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Watching Anderson kick Murray's ass right now. He's not playing like a #3 seed.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    And then he smashes a racquet because he's losing. Real classy. This is why I'll never be a Murray fan.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I like watching Murray because he looks like a giant animated log flailing about.

• Options
    There should be a rule that if you break a racquet, you don't get a towel between points for a set.

Oh it would be glorious.

• Options
    This match, though.

Anderson wasn't even on my radar before.

Murray is being pretty ghoulish about the way it's going. Just constantly barking bullshit and having a generally bad attitude. Like, "How could I be losing to you?!" Just, maybe be a bit classier?

• Options
    And Murray's out in the fourth set to a 7-0 tiebreak. Wow, that was one of the craziest things I've seen in a while.

• Options