As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TENNIS] is a game about smacking balls

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    zeeny wrote: »
    I really don't give a damn about tennis, but this has been fascinating to watch.

It's superb drama, but it's rubbish play. They played a lot better on Tuesday. I don't know wtf are they doing in that 5th.

Maybe it's like the movie Speed.

IF WE STOP THE GAME THIS TENNIS BALL WILL EXPLODE!

I put an atom bomb in that tennis ball, gentlemen

If it detects a lack of impact for more than 10 minutes between the hours of 2 PM and 8 PM

BOOM

AAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

joshofalltrades on
  • spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really don't give a damn about tennis, but this has been fascinating to watch.

It's pretty much the opposite for me. I can understand the drama and the appeal of it, but it's not really tennis anymore.

I don't know much about Isner at all and I didn't see him in this match until the infamous fifth set, but does he have much more than the serve and his height?

I seem to recall him playing Murray at the Australian and looking a much more interesting player than I expected.

And Tsonga just finished up!

spiderj24 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    spiderj24 wrote: »

It's pretty much the opposite for me. I can understand the drama and the appeal of it, but it's not really tennis anymore.

I don't know much about Isner at all and I didn't see him play until this infamous fifth set, but does he have much more than the serve and his height?

I seem to recall him playing Murray at the Australian and looking a much more interesting player than I expected.

And Tsonga just finished up!

Isner is a really cool guy

joshofalltrades on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There not even really playing at this point. Ace, ace, ace, ace...nothing looking like a break point...it's just getting silly.

Interestingly, it will be funny if they get up to 100+ games as there isn't a space on the scoreboard for that :P

BobCesca on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    spiderj24 wrote: »
    I don't know much about Isner at all and I didn't see him play until this infamous fifth set, but does he have much more than the serve and his height?

He's a lumberjack with a racquet. His game is slightly better than what he's showing here because he usually has more time to prepare his shots and with his size, one needs every millisecond.

zeeny on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I guess part of the allure for me is the Guardian's Zombie-infested live blog:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/24/wimbledon-2010-isner-mahut-live

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That blog is superb entertainment :lol:

Has there been anything even approaching a break point yet?

They've played the equivalent of a set today, right?

spiderj24 on
    edited June 2010
    0:30! Unseen!
    Edit: Normal service resumed.

zeeny on
    edited June 2010
    MATCH POINT

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2010
    GSM Izzy!

zeeny on
    edited June 2010
    And it's back to not caring about tennis anymore.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited June 2010
    For people of questionable tastes, maybe

joshofalltrades on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    IT'S OVER!

Thetheroo on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Finally...

BobCesca on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If it were me, I'd just walk away at this point and say fuck it I'm going to Disneyland.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited June 2010
    The sponsorship potential is staggering, I'm thinking along the lines of GEICO commercials

joshofalltrades on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Crazy match. I was switching back and forth between Svk/Ita and this most of the morning and BobCesca was right. For a loooong while, it was really just an ace show with no real back and forth. Still congrats to both Mahut and Isner.

Decoy on
    edited June 2010
    The sponsorship potential is staggering, I'm thinking along the lines of GEICO commercials

Energizer Bunny would be more appropriate.

It just keeps GOING AND GOING.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited June 2010

Energizer Bunny would be more appropriate.

It just keeps GOING AND GOING.

Yes this

joshofalltrades on
  • SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That was an incredible match. We watched it at work! Good times.
    I feel bad for Mahut, I really wanted that guy to win.

SanguineAngel on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't feel too bad for him. He was an unseeded player who just broke several tennis records at Wimbledon. He'll have a bit of a spotlight for a while.

joshofalltrades on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    True story:

I don't normally watch tennis but I had it on randomly two days ago and this highlight pops up, and I think "oh that's cool" as I don't know who either of these guys are.

I end up watching most of the coverage yesterday just flipping between soccer games, the wimbeldon shit was in between the two channels in my area. Eventually the soccer games end...and this is still going on.

I watch pretty much every minute after the first games end.

I listen to it while leveling in WoW this morning. God damn.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Twitter:
    @sethmeyers21:
    Mahut just didn't want it enough

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Twitter:
    @sethmeyers21:

Man, fuck that guy.

Thetheroo on
    edited June 2010
    I thought that was pretty funny

joshofalltrades on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To be fair... maybe that's about it. You can climb almost all the way up Everest, but if you don't get those last five feet, it's not enough.

You can give every bit of effort you've got, but if the guy on the other end of the net gave that little bit more at the end... you didn't want it enough. You wanted it badly. Very very badly. More than is comprehensible.

But not enough. It's cruel to say, but... that's how it is. That's the essence of 'a shame someone has to lose'.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Watching the highlights.

Mahut looks like a Pixar version or a rat who has become human.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Twitter:
    @sethmeyers21:

Man, fuck that guy.

I'm assuming it was tongue-in-cheek. Also, hilarious.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Twitter:
    @sethmeyers21:

Man, fuck that guy.

I'm assuming it was tongue-in-cheek. Also, hilarious.

I would think so. Seth Myers is on SNL (does Weekend Update) and is also a big sports fan

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nadal having to go to 5 was even more interesting, because he kind of had to accept he can't play 75% and had to turn it up to beat Haase, using up some energy he could have saved for later in the week.

I'm excited about the Hewitt Monfils match tomorrow, Monfils will try and get under Hewitt's skin with his antics and he won't be able to (does Hewitt have a Aussie Aussie Aussie party like he did last year?), but he'll have the speed Hewitt used to.

And Kolschreibber beat Roddick early in the '08 AO, can he do the same tomorrow?

edit: Roddick helped out his fellow countryman last night in the for of foodstuffs:
    So what should you do in such a situation for which there is no guidance in any coaching manual. Isner revealed that his first move was to drink what he called "a recovery shake to get some carbs in me right away". He then took an ice bath as he explained - for those of us who've not spent a whole day bashing a tennis ball over the net without a break - that the hunger pangs had yet to kick in.

That is, until Andy Roddick who had already left the Wimbledon complex, did his bit for American tennis by arriving with some take-away food for Isner and his coaching team. Isner recalled: "There were three boxes of pizza, all sorts of chicken and mashed potatoes. I would have eaten 12 Big Macs." If ever a man needed a boost to get through the match of his life, then surely having a former Grand Slam winner and Wimbledon finalist acting as your pizza delivery boy must be one huge fillip.

That's a cool move on his part, he's gotten much better in his role as "mentor" to Querry and Isner, whereas say in 2007 he was more isolated.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2010
    Roddick is in trouble...

Looks like he's about to lose his second set to Lu.

EDIT:

And he's lost it.

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2010
    The Court 2 curse seems to be claiming another victim....

Hewitt lost to Novak in 4, that's a shame, now I have no one really to root for. Well, Querry but the biased Wimbledon officials are just giving the match to Murray*

Clijsters won over Henin, that was nice. Wozniacki was blown out, I wonder what was with her. And Jankovic retired due to a back injury.

*not really

TexiKen on
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Wozniacki was blown out, I wonder what was with her.

Nothing. She was outplayed from the very first point of the match. Kvit matched rallies with Azarenka and then finally had too much pace for her, compared to that match, Wozniacki was like a 12 year old vs a grown up. They played late last year and the match was exactly the same, except Kvitova was hitting more than half the balls out. so Caroline managed to win. I have no idea if she can keep her current tennis for the whole tournament, but if she can, Venus & Serena better beware.
    On a side note, Wozniacki's tennis is a disgrace to the top 10. Worst player since Coetzer and it's a shame she isn't even trying to change her approach as she seems a rather nice person. She's young, at some point she'd stop deluding herself that she can ever win a slam playing that way, so we may find out how good she actually is.
    Also, I really hate Wimbledon's scheduling.

Edit: Go Kimmmaay!

zeeny on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Roddick 7-7 in 5th set with Lu.

Come on another 59 gamer!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This Roddick/Lu match is pretty tough so far

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Roddick 7-7 in 5th set with Lu.

Come on another 59 gamer!

Let's not and say we did

I really would feel bad for Roddick if he lost this

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2010
    Both are not very fit. This will be over within 15 mins, IMO.

zeeny on
    edited June 2010
    Well played Lu.

zeeny on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woooo, nice one Lu.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited June 2010
    Roddick, it's so hard to root for you on days like today.

He really expected to just outlast Lu in terms of endurance, and Lu showed it doesn't matter. And his damn loopy forehand got him in trouble along with his net game.

Nadal won very convincingly after a shaky first few games, he's the only hope left to beat Federer unless Djokovic decides to show up (because Murray will fall apart like always).

TexiKen on