As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TENNIS] is a game about smacking balls

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm amazed that Nadal is playing as quickly as he is given that he is getting injections in his foot before he plays because he fucked his foot up while playing Del Potro. Seriously, it boggles the mind.

Also, I am hoping that Kvitova levels Sharapova, but Masha is playing insane. Lisicki's serve couldn't even get her through Maria, and that's saying something.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    A tennis lesson then.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I cursed him so hard, it seems!

zeeny on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's amazing that Rafa has managed to get into the finals at all with his foot injury. People are now proclaiming that Djokovic is better than Nadal, and I can't say I agree with that necessarily. He beat a Rafa with an injury that he's been getting injections for and playing with prior to getting to the final. I mean he's been running on that thing even before his match with Novak.

Djokovic really has been doing well for himself lately though. He seems like he's in much better spirits than usual.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, that's also five head-to-heads in a row, and like eight of the last ten, I think. At some point it's a trend.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm just leery of statements like that in general. It's like when I see those "Top 50 guitarists of all time" lists.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    People can crown djokovic the new king all they want. This is still his first victory over Nadal in a grand slam. As Murray can attest to, a winning record against federer/nadal in lesser tournaments is largely irrelevant, they both have another gear that we only get to see in the opens. Not to take anything away from Djokovic of course, he has definitely arrived and with tennis a 3 horse race instead of 2, it'll make it far more interesting. To be honest the only downside of this is we're not going to see anymore Nadal/Federer open finals because they're both going to be on the same side of the draw.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Djokovic deserves the #1 rank, but Nadal is still the best player out there today. Even more surprising is Fish is now two spots above Roddick.

One thing I wished Nadal would have picked up on in the first two sets was that Djokovic was basically being a wall, and simply directing the ball Nadal hit right back at him, so in a sense the harder Nadal hit the more his own strength was coming back to him, particularly off of Djokovic's backhand, where he was providing none of his own power. When Nadal went with topsin heavy, short balls it messed with Novak the most.

And I was glad Kvitova won, that forehand of hers is really nice, almost an ATP level forehand. And that the shrieker lost makes me glad, I was really annoyed how Maria was purposely increasing her volume late in the second set to do nothing but throw Petra off in rallies. When the BBC has to create some sound dampening system for viewers at home, the WTA needs to realize the shrieking is a full blow problem with women's tennis.

And the Bryans won, always good to see. At least the US is #1 in doubles, right? That's something for this 4th of July weekend!

Davis Cup is coming to Austing for the Spain/USA match, I might go up there and check it out, hopefully Ferrer at least goes (I doubt Nadal will go).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Djokovic deserves the #1 rank, but Nadal is still the best player out there today. Even more surprising is Fish is now two spots above Roddick.

One thing I wished Nadal would have picked up on in the first two sets was that Djokovic was basically being a wall, and simply directing the ball Nadal hit right back at him, so in a sense the harder Nadal hit the more his own strength was coming back to him, particularly off of Djokovic's backhand, where he was providing none of his own power. When Nadal went with topsin heavy, short balls it messed with Novak the most.

And I was glad Kvitova won, that forehand of hers is really nice, almost an ATP level forehand. And that the shrieker lost makes me glad, I was really annoyed how Maria was purposely increasing her volume late in the second set to do nothing but throw Petra off in rallies. When the BBC has to create some sound dampening system for viewers at home, the WTA needs to realize the shrieking is a full blow problem with women's tennis.

And the Bryans won, always good to see. At least the US is #1 in doubles, right? That's something for this 4th of July weekend!

Davis Cup is coming to Austing for the Spain/USA match, I might go up there and check it out, hopefully Ferrer at least goes (I doubt Nadal will go).

Nadal has confirmed that he won't be playing Davis Cup. I will be there, however. Let me know if you make it and we'll have a drink or something.

Spain is playing Ferrer, Verdasco, Feliciano Lopez, and Granollers. The US is playing Roddick, Fish, and the Bryan bros. I'm fairly certain that Spain is going to get destroyed without Rafa, especially on the super fast hard courts that they're playing on.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, the US Open has been going on since Monday, and it's been all over the place. I don't know if it's the heat or maybe everyone flying in to town got sick or what, but it's been hectic for the first round of matches.

The Bryan Bros lost in the 1st round, Na Li is out in the first round, Venus had to walkover her first match because she's sick, Youzhny and Hantuchova are out, and Almagro is out.

• Options
    I have unfortunately been unable to watch a single match so far. Anything exciting coming up this weekend that I can watch?

Also, I really miss getting out and playing tennis my own self, but when your car is reading the temperature outside as 117 degrees, it's just not worth it. We have private indoor courts around here if you pay the country club $400/mo., but

Nope

• Options
    I was hoping this thread would pop up again. (I really miss the feature on the old boards where we could see what threads we're subscribed to and see if new posts had been made.)

Who do we like to win it all? Pretty much everyone is considering Serena the favorite for the women's draw, but the men's draw is a bit more open. Federer is always in the running, and I don't expect him to go out before the semis. Similarly, I think it would be crazy to count out Nole, but he hasn't ever won here, so I'm not sure I would call him a favorite. Nadal is the defending champ, and he's having a hell of a year, (even though it's obviously overshadowed by Nole's insane year).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was hoping this thread would pop up again. (I really miss the feature on the old boards where we could see what threads we're subscribed to and see if new posts had been made.)

You do know that you can do that, right? Click the yellow bookmark on the right side of the D&D thread listing for the Tennis thread. Whenever you're in any subforum (G&T, D&D, etc.) there's a button at the top labeled "My Bookmarks" where you basically have your very own little custom forum for whatever threads you've bookmarked.

• Options

You do know that you can do that, right? Click the yellow bookmark on the right side of the D&D thread listing for the Tennis thread. Whenever you're in any subforum (G&T, D&D, etc.) there's a button at the top labeled "My Bookmarks" where you basically have your very own little custom forum for whatever threads you've bookmarked.

This is awesome. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me.

Wozniacki just coasted through her match. It was against Arantxa Rus, but it only took her a little over an hour to close it out, and one of the sets was a bagel.

Nole is also rolling over Carlos Berlocq right now. It's just ridiculous. Berlocq is struggling to even win a point. Nole only has 3 unforced errors, and it's halfway through the second set.

Also, in case anyone doesn't know, you can watch everything on Arthur Ashe Court for free on www.usopen.org. This is the only slam that streams stuff, though Wimbledon gets streamed on the Tennis Channel website.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Berlocq has the unique record of completely bageling Donald Young in Miami in 2006, only to turn around and be bageled by James Blake in the next round.

Monfils lost today too. This is all messed up, yo. I do hope Fish goes deep this year, I wanted him to win one of the US Open series masters, at least have one of those under his belt.

• Options
    The way the weather is going, we'd have a crazy 2nd week.

• Options
    Yeah, the weather meant lots of courts being used today.

Nadal/Roddick QF, Isner/Murray QF, both Friday, but basically Djokovic or Federer are going to win the tournament because their half of the draw gives them more time to rest. The way Nadal cramped up in the press conference looks like he might not do well if having any match drawn out.

• Options
    Roddick's post match conference today:
    "Andy did you feel your juices flowing at some point out there?"
    "I try not to feel my juices ever Bill, but I appreciate you thinking of them"
    "Thank you Andy, that's all I think about."

Awesome stuff.

• Options
    either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    This fifth set is one of the best sets of Tennis I have watched in a long time.

steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Yeah this fifth set is amazing

the atmosphere must be crazy there too

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    It's been a good match. Especially as the other 3 will most likely be non-events.

• Options
    Murray & Rafa should be packing their bags after the semi, btw. They can't come close to this performance right now.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    3-5

4-5

5-5

6-5

novak fucking djokovic

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Oh man. Oh man. It looks like it's shaping up to be another Djokovic/Nadal final, and this time I don't think Nadal has much of a chance. Not only is Djokovic on fucking fire, Nadal is passing out at press conferences.

What a ridiculous US Open this year.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    EDIT: Oh come on, system. I did not post that twice.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Man I dunno. Nadal lookin' p good.

Andy Murray will climb back into this then implode, I predict.

• Options
    I wanted a Nadal/Federer final so bad, since it's the one final they've yet to meet up in. But when Novak hit that insane, insane forehand to save match point, I knew it wouldn't be the case. Murray looks like he's just not able to adapt to Nadal's running forehand tonight. But I am really glad the tournament is playing the men's final Monday, to make it a fair fight.

I do hope Stosur doesn't choke the match (she's ahead right now) and wins the final, Aussies need something good in their tennis these days. At least Isner is holding the flag for America now (Querrey, bro, where'd you go?)

• Options
    And it's a rematch for last year. If Djokovic loses this one I wonder if that will have an effect on his seeming psychological invincibility.

I also wonder if Nadal is going to have to take a break after this match. Dude has a history of overextending himself, and I still say that he's pushing himself way past his current limits lately.

• Options
    Serena Williams is putting on her usual bitch show for this match, I eagerly await the cries of racism from herself and her father.

Really hope Stosur keeps her cool and wins this one.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Me, too. Fuck, I hate Serena Williams.

I don't understand why these people are cheering for her.

Slider on
  • Options
    what's ticking me off now is the crowd is yelling out during points like jerkstores.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I wouldn't expect a crowd who favors Williams to be very classy.

...but damn, this Stosur chick is sexy. She reminds me of a brief fling I had a long time ago.

• Options
    YES

• Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    That could have gotten ugly. I'm glad Sam won, and I'm even more glad that she won by being very clearly the better player today, regardless of drama.

Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    I was actually at the US Open last weekend. It was insane, and the crowds are way ruder and crazier than your average tennis crowd.

I hope Rafa beats Nole. He needs to beat him in at least one final this year. Although, it's also looking really likely they'll meet at the Davis Cup final at the end of the year.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    This is a good match so far, especially the second set. Lots of long rallies, Nadal seems like he's willing to go all out now and just not play the rest of the season if it means he can beat Novak.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Man. Djokovic is getting a big medical time out now. It sucks for Nadal that he chose to do it on his serve, now his rhythm will probably get thrown off some.

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Djokovic is a dick like that, i swear he uses medical time to screw the other guy/ catch his breath.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    hadoken wrote:
    Djokovic is a dick like that, i swear he uses medical time to screw the other guy/ catch his breath.

I never said he was doing it on purpose, just that it was a shitty time for it to happen from Nadal's point of view. And sure enough, he looked like he was pissed at himself for making errors when Djokovic was done and it became his turn to serve.

Unless you're being serious, in which case I really don't think I agree. Djokovic was just playing better tennis yesterday.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    hadoken wrote:

Yeah man, fucking DJokovic. He was faking it so well that he decided to drop his first serve from 115 to 85-90.