As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where you live sucks, too.

12345679»

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    While clearing out my wardrobe this weekend I discovered another thing that sucks about where I live, specifically my flat: if you leave a bag of boiled sweets in your pocket, the humidity will transform them into liquid sugar which will get everywhere.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    While clearing out my wardrobe this weekend I discovered another thing that sucks about where I live, specifically my flat: if you leave a bag of boiled sweets in your pocket, the humidity will transform them into liquid sugar which will get everywhere.

pro-tip: this can also happen with packs of gum or mints

Pony on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It can also laminate a takeaway leaflet to a windowsill.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I left a book and a jacket in the back of the car for a couple days, and when I took them out the jacket had gotten faded on certain spots where the sunlight hit it and the book got warped and curled.

D:

Henroid on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Dublin, our public transport is utter shit and there's lots of homeless people about. Also, thanks to rampant property development there are tons of empty office buildings. The streets are also fucking filthy.

More importantly Dublin is the seat of the Irish government which is chock full of: nod and wink corruption, wild cronyism and hilarious incompetence. So we get all the traffic caused the by protests that are held when they fuck everything up! (See the last decade or so).

I also love your drivers with their casual disregard for road-signs and total contempt for pedestrians & other road users. Not helped by the road markings, the 5 way junction without a single lane, giveway or stop marking was something very, very special.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Dublin, our public transport is utter shit and there's lots of homeless people about. Also, thanks to rampant property development there are tons of empty office buildings. The streets are also fucking filthy.

More importantly Dublin is the seat of the Irish government which is chock full of: nod and wink corruption, wild cronyism and hilarious incompetence. So we get all the traffic caused the by protests that are held when they fuck everything up! (See the last decade or so).

I also love your drivers with their casual disregard for road-signs and total contempt for pedestrians & other road users. Not helped by the road markings, the 5 way junction without a single lane, giveway or stop marking was something very, very special.

IrlDubCustHseFlag3X09.jpg

Saint Madness on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm pretty much okay with where I live. It's not great, but it's within public transit distance to San Francisco. And while other people complain that living in an area with more dead human beings in graveyards than living residents and is frequently foggy and rainy is depressing, I like it. I find the climate and the cemeteries relaxing.

My hometown, though, is a shithole.

It looks nice at first blush in some neighborhoods, but it frequently shows up dead last in lists of "the best places to live in America" or in the top ten of "worst places to live in America." Depression rates are higher than the national average. The county also has more toxic cleanup sites than the national average - partly due to the proliferation of meth labs. It's colloquially referred to as a 'meth capital.' It ranks highest in car theft year after year. Air pollution is bad, a lot of the air pollution from surrounding areas collects there due to some geographic feature I don't personally understand. Climate is foul. Winters are dominated by heavy ground fog - not the fluffy fog that rolls in amongst buildings in San Francisco, but this thick pea soup fog that rises up out of the ground rendering visibility to zero in the morning. Summers regularly push above 105F, leading to multiple heat strokes death per year. There is jack and shit to do there, the lauded "revitalization" of downtown resulted in a bunch of shitty top 40 "dance clubs" and one mediocre movie theater.

The only things its got going for it are a big shopping mall, a decent community college, and a good county library.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cabsy wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Montrose, CO: If you've ever lived in NY and thought what you really needed was more taxes, or if you've ever lived in KY and thought you needed more racism and a frantic insane love of Jesus, you should move here. At least in KY they like jesus but they still have premarital sex; in Montrose, the only people who aren't saving themselves for marriage are skinheads. They also have state, county, and city taxes, so you pay nearly 9% on most items and pay 3-4% on foods such as milk, eggs, and bread.

All their girls are sluts too. First hand experience.

I thought all the girls were either teenagers or cougars. Were you on the jailbait track while you were in Montrose, or do you just prefer older women?

I nabbed me one that moved away from there for college.

mrt144 on
  • hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Montrose, CO: If you've ever lived in NY and thought what you really needed was more taxes, or if you've ever lived in KY and thought you needed more racism and a frantic insane love of Jesus, you should move here. At least in KY they like jesus but they still have premarital sex; in Montrose, the only people who aren't saving themselves for marriage are skinheads. They also have state, county, and city taxes, so you pay nearly 9% on most items and pay 3-4% on foods such as milk, eggs, and bread.

All their girls are sluts too. First hand experience.

I thought all the girls were either teenagers or cougars. Were you on the jailbait track while you were in Montrose, or do you just prefer older women?

I nabbed me one that moved away from there for college.

9%!!!!!!! Thats outrageous!!!!
    *sarcasm*

hesthefastest on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Portland, Oregon, although I will be moving to Eugene Oregon (Hippie capital of and second largest city in Oregon) for grad school in a couple of months.

What do we have here? Other than gray, cool and rainy weather in June (fucking June people!) we have awesome public transit, a very healthy obsession with good beer (we have more breweries in the city than any other city in the U.S.), good food, and good coffee. We have the largest independent bookstore in the United States, and the largest bookstore west of the Mississippi. We show "The Room" once a month, which is awesome. People here are usually pretty friendly and accepting. It's not without its warts (what city is?), but it's a great place to live and I am really going to miss it even though I will only be two hours south.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait, is someone seriously complaining about a 9% sales tax?

Really?

Really?

Asiina on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hahahahaha 9%
    cute

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Asiina wrote: »

Really?

Really?

Okay Seth Meyers School of Comedy graduate.

mrt144 on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Unsalted wrote: »
    I live in Phoenix AZ, Am I even aloud to post in here since there is a whole thread devoted to calling me a dirty racist.
    :winky:

I'm in the Phoenix area as well, and have lived in Arizona all my life. We have some stupid ass politicians sometimes, but it's not that bad of a state.

Currently I live in Scottsdale, which is pretty much mid to high end retail, and office parks. We have lots of old, snooty people here, as well as young, snooty people.

I hate how the roads are designed with buildings being set back as far from the street as possible, giving this completely wide open and disconnected feel when you're driving around.

The roads in Scottsdale don't make a whit of fucking sense (there's a road I pass 3 times on the way to work while staying on the street), and everything is too far away.

Also, it's too hot.

Overall I'm not unhappy here, but I'm hoping to jump ship to a better city in a year after I graduate.

thanimations on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I left a book and a jacket in the back of the car for a couple days, and when I took them out the jacket had gotten faded on certain spots where the sunlight hit it and the book got warped and curled.

D:
    I left a CD case in my car for a few hours and it curled enough in the heat that I could have used it as a taco shell. Thankfully there was no CD in it.

SithDrummer on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Cecil County, Maryland.

cecil.jpg

Smack-dab between Baltimore, Philadelphia and Wilmington, it somehow manages to be a complete redneck shithole. This asshole nearly won the last election to the House of Reps (Obamania helped propel the Democrat into office, but he's a shithead too).

One of our towns is listed on Urban Dictionary:
    Rising Sun is one of the most hick filled towns in Maryland located right in the middle of the biggest red neck county, Cecil County. When the people of Rising Sun aren't too busy farming, watching a little leauge baseball game, going to the drag strip, or fucking their sisters they're usually at the local KKK meeting. Rising Sun's claim to fame is that it is Marylands headquarters for the KKK and they are danm proud of it. The town is so racist that when the football coach of the high school heard they were going to play Aberdeen High School and Havre de Grace High School, which are too schools with a large majority of black students, the coach quit rather then even have to play them.

In my own town, I've seen swastikas spray painted on sheds in the trailer parks and skinheads walking around with Mein Kampf and SS tattooed on their necks. There once was a big redneck fight in the trailer park and someone got hurt (maybe killed, don't remember) with a weed whacker. When you come over the Interstate 95 bridge into Maryland, one of the first things you'll see once you're past the toll gate is a big Confederate flag flying from a house near the highway. There is no accompanying American flag.

True story: My sister once got lost in northern Delaware and had no idea where to go. She spotted a truck with a Confederate flag hanging in the back window and figured that if she followed it, she would eventually end up in Cecil County. It took her straight back to Rising Sun and she was able to find her way home from there.

The local newspaper, the Cecil Whig, is dying a slow painful death. That's cool, because it's a complete rag. They're trying to switch to the online model with paid subscriptions, but no one in the county ever goes near a computer unless it's in the library. There is almost nothing to do here. Most people have to go to west to Harford County and Baltimore or north east to Philly and Wilmington to find anything fun. And on a final note, on the rare night, low tide will come in on the Delaware River and we'll manage to smell it all the way over here.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    Dunedin, New Zealand.

fairly small town, like 95% white people yet still a fair bit of casual racism, university has a reputation as a party school because of this bullshit so there's a lot of dumbasses around.

The country as a whole is generally pretty good, politically a bit to the right of most of europe and we've currently got the centre-right party in power who basically campaigned on being moderate then went and shat all over that by raising GST (VAT) from 12.5% to 15% while dropping tax rates on the highest income brackets.

The sheepfucking jokes have been done to death, don't bother.

I was born in Dunedin, grew up nearby and spent five years there for undergraduate and I still like the place. Being White local I didn't see any of that casual racism, in fact having come from a Otago rural area I found it refreshingly multicultural/racial (which says more about where I came from I think). I think North Dunedin is far more multiracial and multicultural than the rest of the city though. Further, the city the last two mayors have not been White local. Turner was born in India (then married Glen Turner and immigrated) and Chin is Chinese (his family came over in the 19th century iirc). Also, the ODT has improved on this note as well - up till the mid 1990s (iirc) they contained a couple of writers who had interesting views on Maori.

The dirty Dunedin reputation that the University seems to have these days is pretty new. When I was there (left to go to Wellington in the early 00s) it certainly didn't seem that bad. We didn't have riots or this complete mongrel reputation. We still had the "oh you scarfies!" lovable scamp thing going. I saw exactly one fight in five years and I used to go out a couple of nights a week. I do understand things have changed.

The city itself looks far better than it once did. I can just barely remember what it looked like in the late 1980s and early 1990s and compared to then, the city and university have spent a lot of money on infrastructure and generally cleaning stuff up. The same could be said for the rest of Otago too

Some of the bad bits are pretty bad though. Those North Dunedin student houses were pretty grim. As was the smashed glass and vomit.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Riverside, Ca.

It's hot as hell in the summer. 100+ daily. The freeway system is a nightmare. It can take 60 minutes with traffic as opposed to 20 in the middle of the night.

This city is surrounded by mountains, but most days you can't even see them. The smog is that bad.

There are bums at every single on/off ramp asking for money.

I think Bros originated here.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Colorado Springs and I'll be moving to Denver in two days. The Springs are definitely nicer and if my new job weren't in Denver I'd be staying here, but the difference isn't that huge.

Colorado Springs is full of evangelicals and churches (seriously, there are so many churches here it's unreal). The odious "Focus on the Family" organization even got its start here. Other than that it's very nice; I don't mind the military town atmosphere (more like fortress city, really; the city is surrounded by bases on the north, south, east, and west) at all.

Denver is kind of a hole; it's got the usual problems of a big city; I'll probably know more in a month or so. I lived in Atlanta for four years, though, during college, and that experience taught me the true meaning of "hellhole". By comparison Denver is very nice. The weather is quite bearable, the people are understandable (what on Earth do they speak in Atlanta?), and the mountains are nearby.

CycloneRanger on
  • UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Unsalted wrote: »
    I live in Phoenix AZ, Am I even aloud to post in here since there is a whole thread devoted to calling me a dirty racist.
    :winky:

I'm in the Phoenix area as well, and have lived in Arizona all my life. We have some stupid ass politicians sometimes, but it's not that bad of a state.

Currently I live in Scottsdale, which is pretty much mid to high end retail, and office parks. We have lots of old, snooty people here, as well as young, snooty people.

I hate how the roads are designed with buildings being set back as far from the street as possible, giving this completely wide open and disconnected feel when you're driving around.

The roads in Scottsdale don't make a whit of fucking sense (there's a road I pass 3 times on the way to work while staying on the street), and everything is too far away.

Also, it's too hot.

Overall I'm not unhappy here, but I'm hoping to jump ship to a better city in a year after I graduate.

I live in the Scottsdale area too. Closer to Paradise Valley.

For those of you from the outside of AZ-
    Scottsdale actually designed their roads to trap people to increase spending in the area. The rest of the city is a big grid. The roads are wide for the drunks.

And there is an alien artifact on Frank Lloyd Wright and Scottsdale road that we use to zap imm-grants.

Also, it really is too hot.

D:

Unsalted on
  • General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Really?

Really?

What is Ontario like now? 15% or 16%? Also, yay harmonized!

I don't know if anyone has done Ottawa yet.

Rush hour traffic can suck. Especially if you live in either of the suburbs (Kanata or Orleans). See, Ottawa was built next to a river so the city is very east westy. So most people are trying to get where they're going on like 1 of maybe 3 way to get across down east/west.

Also no one wants to pay for improving the east/west problem so it'll probably get much worse and fuck us in the future.

People also commute from Quebec so those bridge are also crazy busy. Silly French people!

Apparently we have the best bus system in the country...maybe, its been a while since I've taken the bus.

We DO have the most expensive taxis in the country now, beating Toronto and Montreal. Its about 60$ for a 30 minute cab ride.

Ottawa is a pretty humid city. So in the summer you can complain about the ridiculous heat and the humidity. The winters are also freaking cold, also thanks to the humidity.

We have museums and movies and play theaters. Bar scene is pretty good...from what I can remember :winky:. Camping and nature isn't far away. Drive 1 hour and you have some pretty bitching provincial parks or private Quebec camp grounds; less if you want just to walk around Gatineau park. We have moose attacks! We also have the Ottawa Senators and when they do well most of the city will jump on the band wagon, otherwise...Sens who?

2 universities and one college which are all pretty good.

The recession hardly hit us, mostly thanks to being a government workers town. I mean I bought a house and a car and my girlfriend got a sweet job from the government.

Rent can be bad, but there's tons of good paying jobs if you know where to look. Or if you want to live in the slums. Speaking of slums, Ottawa has 3 "missions" in its central bar/tourist area but we have condos going up there and rent in that area is really high. Try as they may, the poor and disheveled can't bring down the property values.

Apparently we're the safest city in Canada. TRY AGAIN POOR PEOPLE.

I've heard that people in Ottawa have an attitude problem but we can't be that bad. Although, I'm probably one of them.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Really?

Really?

It's 13% now (or as of the end of this month) as opposed to the 5%/8% split it was before.

Many places you won't notice the change, just on certain items where GST was previously applied but now HST is applied fully.

Also, books will no longer be taxed.

edit: Yeah, most of ontario has that humidity problem, also we have a bad habit of saying every other major city in the area has 'attitude problems'.

Sipex on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    Dunedin, New Zealand.

fairly small town, like 95% white people yet still a fair bit of casual racism, university has a reputation as a party school because of this bullshit so there's a lot of dumbasses around.

The country as a whole is generally pretty good, politically a bit to the right of most of europe and we've currently got the centre-right party in power who basically campaigned on being moderate then went and shat all over that by raising GST (VAT) from 12.5% to 15% while dropping tax rates on the highest income brackets.

The sheepfucking jokes have been done to death, don't bother.

I was born in Dunedin, grew up nearby and spent five years there for undergraduate and I still like the place. Being White local I didn't see any of that casual racism, in fact having come from a Otago rural area I found it refreshingly multicultural/racial (which says more about where I came from I think). I think North Dunedin is far more multiracial and multicultural than the rest of the city though. Further, the city the last two mayors have not been White local. Turner was born in India (then married Glen Turner and immigrated) and Chin is Chinese (his family came over in the 19th century iirc). Also, the ODT has improved on this note as well - up till the mid 1990s (iirc) they contained a couple of writers who had interesting views on Maori.

The dirty Dunedin reputation that the University seems to have these days is pretty new. When I was there (left to go to Wellington in the early 00s) it certainly didn't seem that bad. We didn't have riots or this complete mongrel reputation. We still had the "oh you scarfies!" lovable scamp thing going. I saw exactly one fight in five years and I used to go out a couple of nights a week. I do understand things have changed.

The city itself looks far better than it once did. I can just barely remember what it looked like in the late 1980s and early 1990s and compared to then, the city and university have spent a lot of money on infrastructure and generally cleaning stuff up. The same could be said for the rest of Otago too

Some of the bad bits are pretty bad though. Those North Dunedin student houses were pretty grim. As was the smashed glass and vomit.

Yeah the reputation change is pretty recent, now we get all the spoilt doctor's/lawyer's kids who come down to piss away daddy's money for 5 years or so. Kind of annoying.

Also being white I get the casual racism second hand from friends, but yeah it's definitely there. The ODT still has tremain who can be astoundingly racist with anything to do with asians, his caricatures are honestly disgusting and belong in WW2 propaganda for the most part.

With the whole stadium business (dunno how much you've heard about it?) you get a lot more resentment of Chin too, which is justified because the stadium is a dumb idea but a lot of it ends up with racism tied into it and ugh.

L|ama on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Otago has attracted those types for years. When I was there it seemed that well over half of the students were from out of Otago, let alone Dunedin. From what family who also went to Otago have told me it has been that way since at least the 1960s.

I've only casually followed the stadium issue as I've not been a ratepayer for some years or indeed a taxpayer for a couple of years although I've had my ear chewed off by relatives. I like the idea of a stadium but what they've ended up with seems like a dog's breakfast and without public transport investment that part of North Dunedin is going to be horrible. I understand it was dammed expensive as well

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    [...]
    True story: My sister once got lost in northern Delaware and had no idea where to go. She spotted a truck with a Confederate flag hanging in the back window and figured that if she followed it, she would eventually end up in Cecil County. It took her straight back to Rising Sun and she was able to find her way home from there.[...]
    This is pretty amazing

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited June 2010

Really?

Really?

Rush hour traffic can suck. Especially if you live in either of the suburbs (Kanata or Orleans). See, Ottawa was built next to a river so the city is very east westy. So most people are trying to get where they're going on like 1 of maybe 3 way to get across down east/west.

Also no one wants to pay for improving the east/west problem so it'll probably get much worse and fuck us in the future.

People also commute from Quebec so those bridge are also crazy busy. Silly French people!

Apparently we have the best bus system in the country...maybe, its been a while since I've taken the bus.

We DO have the most expensive taxis in the country now, beating Toronto and Montreal. Its about 60$ for a 30 minute cab ride.

Ottawa is a pretty humid city. So in the summer you can complain about the ridiculous heat and the humidity. The winters are also freaking cold, also thanks to the humidity.

We have museums and movies and play theaters. Bar scene is pretty good...from what I can remember :winky:. Camping and nature isn't far away. Drive 1 hour and you have some pretty bitching provincial parks or private Quebec camp grounds; less if you want just to walk around Gatineau park. We have moose attacks! We also have the Ottawa Senators and when they do well most of the city will jump on the band wagon, otherwise...Sens who?

The recession hardly hit us, mostly thanks to being a government workers town. I mean I bought a house and a car and my girlfriend got a sweet job from the government.

Rent can be bad, but there's tons of good paying jobs if you know where to look. Or if you want to live in the slums. Speaking of slums, Ottawa has 3 "missions" in its central bar/tourist area but we have condos going up there and rent in that area is really high. Try as they may, the poor and disheveled can't bring down the property values.

I've heard that people in Ottawa have an attitude problem but we can't be that bad. Although, I'm probably one of them.

This is a pretty good assessment of Ottawa. I don't really take cabs, but I guess they're pretty expensive. Rush hour can get bad if you take the highway, but Ottawa doesn't really have true suburbs like many American cities do. Kanata and Orleans technically count, but most of the population lives well within the centretown part of the city. The city has residential areas scattered all through it, so it's not like everyone flees the city at the end of a work day.

The city is extremely east-west based, which is funny because our lightrail system is north-south.

The orange line is the lightrail, tragically named the O-Train.
    rapidtransit.jpg

What recession? Government employees don't get laid off in tough times, really. And most families here have someone who works for the federal government in some capacity, so the hype of a recession caused more damage then anything tangible actually happening in the city.

Asiina on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tragically, or amazingly?

adytum on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I always laugh at tourists that try to hail cabs in Omaha.

And the cab driver just keeps driving and ignores them.

FyreWulff on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Because it's not reasonable to expect to be able to flag down a cab, or..?

adytum on
    edited June 2010
    No, because you can't.

You call the taxi company and they come to you directly.

I always give them the number but I did have one that insisted he was going to flag one down.

As about 10 busses went past him heading to his destination.

The downside this is you just can't jump into a cab downtown, the upside is you can be out in the ass end of the city and still get a taxi.

We could probably do a completely seperate thread on all of our cities transportation quirks and issues.

They also have the most annoyingly flash based site ever. Which up until recently played music by default.

FyreWulff on
  • Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    No, because you can't.

You call the taxi company and they come to you directly.

I always give them the number but I did have one that insisted he was going to flag one down.

As about 10 busses went past him heading to his destination.

The downside this is you just can't jump into a cab downtown, the upside is you can be out in the ass end of the city and still get a taxi.

We could probably do a completely seperate thread on all of our cities transportation quirks and issues.

They also have the most annoyingly flash based site ever. Which up until recently played music by default.

This makes up for it though. I can't count how many times I've gotten a free ride home from these guys while stupid drunk.
    Holiday Safe Ride Home
    Hauptman, O’Brien, Wolf & Lathrop is proud to have sponsored the Holiday Safe Ride Home program since its inception in December 1990. The premise is simple: Persons who attend a holiday party and find themselves too intoxicated to drive safely can call Happy Cab for a ride home. The tab will be picked up by Hauptman, O’Brien, Wolf & Lathrop.

This past holiday season, Hauptman, O’Brien, Wolf & Lathrop provided cab rides home for roughly 1,800 community members, helping to ensure that our neighbors had a safe and happy holiday.

I think the program lasts between Thanksgiving and New Years Day. Oh, and St. Patty's Day also.

Re: nholder on
    edited June 2010
    Yes, the free ride home is awesome, I wish we could do it year round. That would be unsustainable for just two law firms, though.

FyreWulff on
  • General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Really?

Really?

This is a pretty good assessment of Ottawa. I don't really take cabs, but I guess they're pretty expensive. Rush hour can get bad if you take the highway, but Ottawa doesn't really have true suburbs like many American cities do. Kanata and Orleans technically count, but most of the population lives well within the centretown part of the city. The city has residential areas scattered all through it, so it's not like everyone flees the city at the end of a work day.

The city is extremely east-west based, which is funny because our lightrail system is north-south.

The orange line is the lightrail, tragically named the O-Train.
    rapidtransit.jpg

What recession? Government employees don't get laid off in tough times, really. And most families here have someone who works for the federal government in some capacity, so the hype of a recession caused more damage then anything tangible actually happening in the city.

I live in Orleans, and the traffic blows. And since we're all one giant amalgamated family, Kanata and Orleans do count, even Barhaven counts, gross.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Kanata and Orleans are part of Ottawa, but it's hard to call them suburbs. Not in the way that Toronto suburbs or American suburbs work. They aren't that far out of the city, and many people still live in the main downtown area. I mean, I live by Britannia/Nepean which at one point was separated, but it's all part of the main part of Ottawa now.

Also Barrhaven isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

Asiina on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    I like Toronto, but then again i've only been up here at best two years, and most of those were during school hours (35 hours a week! Gah!), so i'm not sure if I can cast fair judgement on a place when the only other locale I have is Spring, TX.

Anyone else from Toronto who can give me the scoop?
    I grew up in Toronto, but I moved away about 17 years ago. I still miss it sometimes. It was a great place to grow up. When my son is of college-age, we're going to look at U of T and McGill as a couple of his options.

I don't miss the winters, though. Living south of the Mason-Dixon line for an extended period of time will kill your tolerance for Canadian winters really fast.

And I'm glad I don't have to pay Canadian income tax.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• PicoPico Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Currently: Michigan.

Yea. Pick anything.

Pico on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The ability for quotation, is the absence of original thought."