As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First time going wireless... how to best protect my info?

WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
Ok, so I just moved into a new apartment complex. The only way for me to get internet connection here is to use the wireless router my landlord set up for everyone.

I got a desktop that didn't come with any wireless capabilities so I picked up a wireless USB adapter. Obviously I am now online and happy!

But this is my first time running off someone Else's router and I wanna make sure all my info is safe and sound from prying eyes.

I have vista and I use AVG to keep my computer safe and sound. Any tips you could throw my way to keep my computer safe would be very much appreciated. This apartment complex has supposedly been home to many hackers and trouble makers.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
Wishpig on

• Options
    GrygonosGrygonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Make sure you disable windows file sharing. Depending on your version of windows there may be some folders that are shared by default. I ditched AVG in favor of Microsoft Security Essentials or Antivira + Spybot. That's just a personal pref though.

Grygonos on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thats the first thing I TRIED to do, but for the love of god, I can't figure out how! Avg makes it so damn complex!

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you're really concerned, you can pick up a wireless bridge (one of these) which will effectively hide your computer(s) from others on the wireless network in much the same way that a router would hide them from other computers on the internet. You want one with NAT and preferably SPI (like this), otherwise it will be pointless.

Edit: I'm not sure the one I linked will actually do what I think it will. Newegg lumps wireless bridges and access points together and I'm a little concerned about that. Maybe someone who knows more can recommend a specific model.

Clipse on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If Vista is anything like Windoes 7, then the Network and Sharing Center will let you disable windows filesharing. Most likely it'll let you configure the specific router as being a public network, so it automatically keeps filesharing turned off without you specifically having to configure it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What kind of encryption has the landlord set up on the router?

Is it WEP? If so, :(

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    if your apartment has cable you should be able to get cable internet from the provider if they have it.

Certainly better than using crapy wireless, certainly in your situation where you dont know what kind of shit he has to monitor what you are doing on his setup

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Surely if you have a phone line you can just take a DSL option.

theSquid on