As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Canadian Passport - Short notice edition (New question)

Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm a Canadian living in the US with a permanent residency card, unfortunately my passport needs to be renewed, and within the next motnh if possible.

Without going into too much detail my wife and I are being forced into a week long vacation since her mother (Our day care) is going on vacation in July. After much deliberation my wife and I have chosen to go visit my family up north, upon looking at my passport though we've come to realize that I'm running a risk of a lapse in it's validity which requires me to ask what is the fastest way for a Canuck to get their passport from within the US.

I've done my research and it looks like while I do have consulate offices nearby, neither of them do passports on site, and while I could submit the application as "Urgent" or "Expedited" it would require me to pick it up at the passport office, which is just not feasible given the situation.

I'm reading oline that the current processing times are 4 weeks, not including time spent in the mail, so I'm sitting here wondering if I go through the passport renewal process whether or not I can get get a passport by July 2ndish.

I fully intend on doing either USPS or UPS overnight to the passport office to get it there ASAP, but I'm figuring that means Thursday at the earliest putting me in the range of "Oh snap, you missed your target"

So, I ask my Canadian bretheren, what is the fastest route for me to get a passport this late in the game?

And is there an alternative way I can get accross the border perhaps without one? (I know, I know, the Western Hemisphere Travel Iniative and all that jazz, I'm just checking)

Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
Movie Collection
Foody Things
Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
Nakatomi2010 on

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has your passport expired already?

If not, I don't think it would be much trouble if you are only using it to return to your country to get it renewed. According to this, you could potentially use other means of identification to return to Canada. However, your passport is still your primary travel document and seeing that your vacation would take only a week, that wouldn't be the best plan. You might have slight issues returning to Canada for the week but getting back to the States would be a huge issue.

In any case, you should talk to your local Canadian consulate to discuss alternative options. At worst you'd have to delay your trip back to Canada or travel within the States instead.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    British Columbia has an agreement with Washington State that allows "enhanced driver's licences" to be used as travel documents at the border, I think in addition to a birth certificate. They cost a bunch of extra money, but you get them much quicker than passports.

A number of downsides. I don't think other provinces have similar agreements, and also the "enhanced" part of the driver's licence is basically RFID and biometrics, which is pretty fucking sketchy.

So, if you could get a BC Driver's licence in short order, then you could simply cross back into the States via Washington State and go on your merry way.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Another thing to remember is that processing time is a general statement. I applied for mine about a month ago (ya Mexico), and had it IN HAND in 9 business days, when they said it was 2 weeks + mailing time.

Try contacting their offices by phone link to see what is the quickest way to do it. Their 1-800 # does have real people staffing it. Be prepared to send it off TOMORROW if need be.

Gilbert0 on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Talk to your local consulate. You may be able to get a rush renewal through them, perhaps even faster than you could if you were actually in Canada.

ASimPerson on
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rather than create a new post I figured I'd bump this one.

Quick question about passport renewal. I've submitted the paperwork, it was overnighted the day of this post and arrived on Friday, my credit card was billed today.

I was wondering based on other canadians who've applied for passports what the average time between being charged and receiving the passport was. I know the site says "Up to 20 days" when sent in by mail, I'm just wondering what other folks experienced.

I also read in one place that while I've been charged, it's possible they'll reject the app and reverse the charge. Is this true, or is it safe to say that since I've been charged, the application has been approved, and it's just a matter of waiting for them to mail it back?

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you filled out the application correctly the chances of rejection are near-zero. I wouldn't get too worried.

Robman on
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    If you filled out the application correctly the chances of rejection are near-zero. I wouldn't get too worried.

Also: renewals are way less trouble than first time applications. I recently had to do a first time application and it was a pain in the ass.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not so much worried about rejection as I am not receiving the passport in time. We're aiming for a July 2nd departure date, and I'm hoping we get the thing before then.

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When I got mine it only took about 10 days. Best thing you can do is send it overnight and hope for the best?

Wezoin on