As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Politics: Another Moose Bites The Dust

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And now he's trying to deny he ever said it and being a vicious tit to people trying to call him out:

Canada's Heritage Minister caught covering up "radical extremists" slur

THROW THE BUM OUT.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    If that Globe article is correct in that Fadden came out publicly about an issue before its actual policy recommendations were in place then I'm scratching my head as to why the fuck he did this. Particularly since if the upcoming policy required political pushing then that would/should have been the job of the respective Minister who CSIS falls under (in this case, the Minister of Public Safety, Vic Towes).

It could be that old Vic is one of the politicians he was speaking about. It could also be that this is part of a larger power struggle between CSIS and the Tory government... CSIS doesn't really strike me as an organization that wouldn't chafe under Harper's tight leash.

Robman on
  • Options
    Catullus 16Catullus 16 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    More G20 news: Ontario is now a motherfucking police state
    The province has secretly passed an unprecedented regulation that empowers police to arrest anyone near the G20 security zone who refuses to identify themselves or agree to a police search.

A 31-year-old man has already been arrested under the new regulation, which was quietly passed by the provincial cabinet on June 2.

The regulation was made under Ontario’s Public Works Protection Act and was not debated in the Legislature. According to a provincial spokesperson, the cabinet action came in response to an “extraordinary request” by Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair, who wanted additional policing powers shortly after learning the G20 was coming to Toronto.

The regulation kicked in Monday and will expire June 28, the day after the summit ends. While the new regulation appeared without notice on the province’s e-Laws online database last week, it won’t be officially published in The Ontario Gazette until July 3 — one week after the regulation expires.

“It’s just unbelievable you would have this kind of abuse of power where the cabinet can create this offence without having it debated in the Legislature,” said Howard Morton, the lawyer representing Dave Vasey, who was arrested Thursday under the sweeping new police powers.

“It was just done surreptitiously, like a mushroom growing under a rock at night.”

According to the new regulation, “guards” appointed under the act can arrest anyone who, in specific areas, comes within five metres of the security zone.

Within those areas, police can demand identification from anyone coming within five metres of the fence perimeter and search them. If they refuse, they face arrest. Anyone convicted under the regulation could also face up to two months in jail or a $500 maximum fine.

I only quoted about a third of the article. The rest is just as hilariously terrifying. Hilarifying? I mean, at least it expires on Monday, but the fact that they could do this at all makes me want to hide under the bed.

Catullus 16 on
    viewpost.gif jothki: If you removed all of the protons from a unicorn, would it still be a unicorn?
    viewpost.gif Evil Multifarious: it would be a dead unicorn.
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For the record Canada did imprison Canadians of German descent during World War I - they held a group at Fort Henry in Kingston as well as several other elderly military forts around the country. In our defence most of the people rounded up and imprisoned were actually Ukrainians - oh wait, that makes it even worse.

Phisti on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They all look alike anyway Phisti. ;)

hawkbox on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The province has secretly passed an unprecedented regulation that empowers police to arrest anyone near the G20 security zone who refuses to identify themselves or agree to a police search.

A 31-year-old man has already been arrested under the new regulation, which was quietly passed by the provincial cabinet on June 2.

The regulation was made under Ontario’s Public Works Protection Act and was not debated in the Legislature. According to a provincial spokesperson, the cabinet action came in response to an “extraordinary request” by Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair, who wanted additional policing powers shortly after learning the G20 was coming to Toronto.

The regulation kicked in Monday and will expire June 28, the day after the summit ends. While the new regulation appeared without notice on the province’s e-Laws online database last week, it won’t be officially published in The Ontario Gazette until July 3 — one week after the regulation expires.

“It’s just unbelievable you would have this kind of abuse of power where the cabinet can create this offence without having it debated in the Legislature,” said Howard Morton, the lawyer representing Dave Vasey, who was arrested Thursday under the sweeping new police powers.

“It was just done surreptitiously, like a mushroom growing under a rock at night.”

According to the new regulation, “guards” appointed under the act can arrest anyone who, in specific areas, comes within five metres of the security zone.

Within those areas, police can demand identification from anyone coming within five metres of the fence perimeter and search them. If they refuse, they face arrest. Anyone convicted under the regulation could also face up to two months in jail or a $500 maximum fine.

I only quoted about a third of the article. The rest is just as hilariously terrifying. Hilarifying? I mean, at least it expires on Monday, but the fact that they could do this at all makes me want to hide under the bed.

This is fucking awful. If there were something to riot about it would be this, not the G20. I hope someone takes them to court over this.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Even the Mayor of Toronto commented on the fact that it should have been open to the public.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »

This is fucking awful. If there were something to riot about it would be this, not the G20. I hope someone takes them to court over this.

That's really the thing though. The time it takes the court to review and throw the order out will be well beyond the time it expires and the use for it passes.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Toronto: Police cars on fire, windows smashed, poop thrown. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/06/26/g20-saturday-protests.html

Huntsville: Twenty-four people took a stroll while Bill Nighy and some papier mache world leaders posed for pictures. Little boy got a cookie. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100625/national/g8_huntsville

Huntsville and the surrounding area(read: Tony Clement's riding) got tens of millions of dollars in infrastructure improvements and an Olympic-sized ice complex. Toronto got a nice new fence and a pavilion showing off how awesome Muskoka is. I may be a bit biased, but that seems a tad unfair.

CorporateGoon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    apparently one of the biggest things keeping protesters away from Muskoka was the mosquitoes

Al_wat on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »
    apparently one of the biggest things keeping protesters away from Muskoka was the mosquitoes

Breaking News: All future G8/G20 summits to be held in Thunder Bay.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Toronto: Police cars on fire, windows smashed, poop thrown. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/06/26/g20-saturday-protests.html

Huntsville: Twenty-four people took a stroll while Bill Nighy and some papier mache world leaders posed for pictures. Little boy got a cookie. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100625/national/g8_huntsville

Huntsville and the surrounding area(read: Tony Clement's riding) got tens of millions of dollars in infrastructure improvements and an Olympic-sized ice complex. Toronto got a nice new fence and a pavilion showing off how awesome Muskoka is. I may be a bit biased, but that seems a tad unfair.

Muskoka voted Conservative, Toronto didn't.

shryke on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow, Toronto is just crazy today.

I live about 4 or 5 blocks from those burning cars. I can hear sirens in the distance.

I'm really surprised there isn't more G20 discussion here in DnD!

-edit

Here's some crazy photos of the Streets I've walked every day for 8 years now. So sureal.

I was thinking of heading down earlier today to see it all first hand, but I'm not risking it.

I do hope the Silver Snail is ok! (my comic book shop is located right in the middle of all this)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    SoggychickenSoggychicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They trashed the Starbucks :(

edit: This is really pointless. People are just being stupid.

Soggychicken on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They trashed EVERYTHING.

They even trashed a big Tim Hortons on Younge/Carlton :(

Here's a 10min video a CTV Camera man took walking up Younge with the crowd from the Eaton Center to Carlton. Lots of smashing.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is really pointless. People are just being stupid.
    Welcome to every international-event protest ever.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Globalization is an important fucking thing and the leaders need to note that we the citizens are noticing how thoroughly we're being boned by it.

But then these assholes run around and just turn this into rioters vs cops, and yes I am firmly standing behind the cops on this one. They should really start dispersing this crowd with the microwave cannon and maybe some live ammo, just to be sure.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    From everything I've heard today, from the TV, from Twitter, from Photos and from friends out there walking around, it is a very very small minority of people causing all this chaos.

The majority of people are there peacefully, either to peacefully protest or to see what's going on.

Then there are small groups of people dressed in all black going around and quckly smashing things and running. This got others in the crowd all excited.

Shortly after, piles of black clothing were found all over the ground as people quickly changed to get away.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Seems like a pretty fair deal really, put a black T-Shirt on your head and a 3006 will soon follow

Robman on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What really disgusts me is the fucking media coverage of this. They're calling these assholes "protesters". They're not protesters and labelling them as such is a deliberate attempt by the media to deligitimise true opposition to this thing.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Catullus 16Catullus 16 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I saw live news footage of a guy standing on top of a police car kicking in the windows. Just a normal-looking guy, not wearing anything sinister. He didn't even look that angry.

I don't get it.

Catullus 16 on
    viewpost.gif jothki: If you removed all of the protons from a unicorn, would it still be a unicorn?
    viewpost.gif Evil Multifarious: it would be a dead unicorn.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is thanatos in Toronto right now?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    SoggychickenSoggychicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I saw live news footage of a guy standing on top of a police car kicking in the windows. Just a normal-looking guy, not wearing anything sinister. He didn't even look that angry.

I don't get it.

The same reason why kids cause shit for supply teachers...

because they can.

Soggychicken on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seriously.

It's like this in Greece alot actually. The Greek people I know tell me that, basically, it doesn't matter what is being protested. As soon as there's protesting going on, the Anarchists will show up and start wrecking shit because .... well, because they are morons and see any protest as an opportunity to do their stupid shit.

It's the same thing with any protest to globalization stuff. If you protest anything, they will come and burn a police car.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The guys in black hid in the crowd making quick damage and rile the crowd up. Then the dumbasses in the crowd eventually start smashing shit too just because.

Here's a great live feed I was following most of the day. The Torontoist is a great site for local stuff. Lots of good pictures from the day.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Seriously.

It's like this in Greece alot actually. The Greek people I know tell me that, basically, it doesn't matter what is being protested. As soon as there's protesting going on, the Anarchists will show up and start wrecking shit because .... well, because they are morons and see any protest as an opportunity to do their stupid shit.

It's the same thing with any protest to globalization stuff. If you protest anything, they will come and burn a police car.

same thing in Quebec apparently.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This is why I tell people not to bother protesting. At best, you'll get a minute or two on the news and be promptly forgotten. At worst, people will get pissed off at you for blocking the roads, someone will burn a car and throw poop in the Foot Locker, and the public will actively line up against your cause.

CorporateGoon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The poop thing was just Hilarious.

I mean, who brought poop?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The protesters in general were just amateur by the end of the day, they spent more time arguing with each other then protesting.

At one point I think there were more of the standard Toronto gawkers there to take pictures then actual protesters and it's a shame because the cops charged them with horses all the same.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »

I'm sure it's part of the standard violent protester kit.

Hammer? Check
    Balaclava? Check
    Bag of poop? Check

CorporateGoon on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Remind me again why they need to host this thing in TO instead of say, Tuktoyaktuk.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »

there was probably some dude shitting into a bag in an alleyway 3 minutes before that happened

Al_wat on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So next week:

What the hell did we spend $1B for?

or

Good thing we spent $1B!

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    Remind me again why they need to host this thing in TO instead of say, Tuktoyaktuk.

All the visiting dignitaries from Canada and the planning people organizing the event spend most of their time in Southern Ontario. They can barely find Northern Ontario on a map, do you seriously think they'll know where the hell Tuktoyaktuk is?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

All the visiting dignitaries from Canada and the planning people organizing the event spend most of their time in Southern Ontario. They can barely find Northern Ontario on a map, do you seriously think they'll know where the hell Tuktoyaktuk is?

... really only their pilots need to be able to.

My suggestion is still a cruise ship in the middle of the Atlantic, surrounded by a US Navy carrier group. BAM, amenities, conferencing facilities, complete and total security.

Edit: Awesome: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20100626/summit-protests-100626/
    At one point, a CTV producer working on the scene was taken into police custody.

CTV reporter Scott Laurie questioned police officers about the arrest but was not given an immediate answer. Laurie said the employee was wearing his media accreditation.

hippofant on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Was it not all that long ago when we were going over something similar with the Olympics in Vancouver? Legitimate protesters having their messages usurped by media focusing on anarchists and general trouble makers and then falsely calling them protesters, usually replaying the hooligan shit over and over again with a title of protesters get violent? *cough*CTV*cough*

Fuck, the cops don't even have to dress up as the assholes to start this stuff like that one time in Quebec to get the false images they want in the syndicated outlets. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn a bunch of these hooligans are actually known to the police and not detained before they start shit.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fuck, the cops don't even have to dress up as the assholes to start this stuff like that one time in Quebec to get the false images they want in the syndicated outlets. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn a bunch of these hooligans are actually known to the police and not detained before they start shit.

Cops are more interested in beating up on peaceful protesters. They'll watch as their cars get torched then jump some guy that's sitting on a street.

edit: I want to see just how many of these arrests were of actual criminals. I somehow doubt that you can find and arrest 150 of these so called anarchists in a couple of hours without picking up 140 innocent bystanders.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Cops are more interested in beating up on peaceful protesters. They'll watch as their cars get torched then jump some guy that's sitting on a street.

edit: I want to see just how many of these arrests were of actual criminals. I somehow doubt that you can find and arrest 150 of these so called anarchists in a couple of hours without picking up 140 innocent bystanders.

Yeah, what you said. D:

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Was it not all that long ago when we were going over something similar with the Olympics in Vancouver? Legitimate protesters having their messages usurped by media focusing on anarchists and general trouble makers and then falsely calling them protesters, usually replaying the hooligan shit over and over again with a title of protesters get violent? *cough*CTV*cough*

Yes, the police just need to get the mob to form an orderly line while they ID everyone and detain anyone that doesnt provide ID, and these powers are only given to them because of some really shady facist law that is only in effect for the next week or two.

Any other week, there is jack fuck all police can do to arrest people BEFORE they start shit, no matter how much they are 'known' to them.

Most weeks in this thread its all:
    The charter! Respect the charter!

and here we get a:
    Fuck the charter! Get the other guy! get the other guy!

With barely anyone batting a fucking eye, because the police are at fault no matter which way they do things. Even Thanatos is more reasoned than that.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    darkphoenix22darkphoenix22 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

The maps of Ontario down here stop at North Bay (*rant* which is not Thunder Bay *rant*). People living in Southern Ontario have no clue where anything in Northwestern Ontario is. :P

Man, I'm happy I did most of my "protesting" about copyright reform on Facebook, instead of at the G20 meetings. At least there, the people I needed to talk to actually listened to me, with no risk of getting arrested.

Imagine that, social networking has a use. ;)

darkphoenix22 on
This discussion has been closed.