As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoX] Anyone for Dr. Q?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    I've never understood how much time the devs spend pandering to the demands of such a tiny, whiny and bitchy minority of their playerbase as the people obsessed with having just the right tail in the costume creator.

If they put half the effort into creating new tilesets and mission maps that they do into this kind of thing, they'd have retained a whole hell of a lot more customers.

You know, for a long time I thought it was ridiculous that an MMO dev team would give very much weight to what their own general forums are saying... but in CoX I think it actually might be happening. They seem to cater to a particular crowd, and when they do bother to address any kind of balance related issue, it's almost always something that there has been a concerted forum advocacy campaign in favor of.

I wonder how much they're actually paying attention to their playerbase, sometimes. Certainly when the AE came out it was blindingly obvious that they weren't.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's a weird thing, yeah. If they were really keyed into their playerbase, then by now they would have done something about gravity control and firey armor, but well. Then again they did listen to the playerbase and tweaked electrical armor and stalkers in general so hot dog. Then again PvP.

So basically I have no idea what they're listening to. Everyone except me, I reckon. Which is sad because I am so full of ideas.

Narbus on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    I've never understood how much time the devs spend pandering to the demands of such a tiny, whiny and bitchy minority of their playerbase as the people obsessed with having just the right tail in the costume creator.
    If they put half the effort into creating new tilesets and mission maps that they do into this kind of thing, they'd have retained a whole hell of a lot more customers.
    I wonder if it's possible that creating a last-gen 3d model with a texture takes less effort than creating new tilesets and mission maps.
    I wonder.

Glal on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yea, I suspect that tail took half an hour to do, a tileset probably takes weeks.

Edit: and it's not even the same staff members who work on that stuff

Scooter on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    Out of the Epic Villain archtypes, what is the best to solo with?

I like the Soldier, building to a Crab Spider that focuses on ranged attacks and summoning swarms of killer robot spiders (pick Mace Mastery for a big spider bot @47). You get some good AoEs with the grenades and cone blast and the single target attacks are pretty good to. Personalle though, I've always preferred range attackers to melee so my opinion is a bit biased.
    You'll need a lot of +Recharge set bonuses to keep the spiderbots available (they have a 15 minute recharge straight up), but it's a lot of fun to run a gun-bug. Or it was when I was still playing, it's been a while though.

It should be noted that the stacking leadership bonuses make a team of VEATS awesome.

Out of the box, Widows or Forts are probably going to solo the best. Widows have really good ST damage, and Forts have a good deal of control with good defenses. Banes do a lot of damage, but for some reason I was never really sold on them. Crabs can pile on defense, as evidenced by this stupid build that I'm a few enhancements away from:
    | Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
    |-------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |MxDz;1446;700;1400;HEX;|
    |78DA9D93DB4E1351148677DB29B5B4A52052A04029945A8E857A483C5C188260880|
    |531E021804C0698D0499A69333312B9F3017C053CDD19A3229A184FCF24EA8D7775|
    |ADFDEF36A2774E9AFF9BAEF9F75A7BAF35B3F0E06A54888757842F3153365C579F7|
    |68CAD925D71F5E54A79DB329DD0A2E1DD778CB2080921B27F3F75F3338EB1A92F57|
    |AD6DD3A907B32B8E61D996BDA35F33B6774CEFB8A9FEB06DDE2E998E697BF9FA4D7|
    |4A95229E7E72CCF365D37A6FEEC943C32E351D134AABC52FE99B7772DD7DAB4CA96|
    |B7D7335BB5B6F2B767A757F4A2B96B195EC9B0F505C3F54C67AF8BF63D22FEBC6A4|
    |1B14F2888A6C7C01389134F81671285E7128711824FAE12A2936EFA84BF1EA1443E|
    |24F223911F893424D28E25FA4089022A51202543416A6950858213C840A110728B5|
    |052863ED2C2305CC170B38F43CD11202A311A93986801E2124DE48FA84D46DECA44|
    |D117C01B899697008AB48E6147A431B52AB64AC889C49AC4C83A704F627403D0612|
    |18D6395167F857CAF254E1E00D840E210EDA603B6A963B70DA3E7146A47C8DF9E96|
    |A153C7F085CED2A1D674A055EF22180857ED9C9287EE2A00672472672546CE4904A|
    |844B7B277C39E843D095F0EBEDC7989F794BD479DA96751867A8BC082C4D00D6049|
    |42A3EC7D6A487D18520A434A6148290C6900431AC090B840BF2AD28FC6A531A4348|
    |694C69006301D8D7450D90761CFA0CF19F439833E0FA1CF5FE90859D803D96F7E0E|
    |9D3E027E003F258E02420CAB776E18AFC301BD0463AAD2182A8D6347E3A8348E4A1|
    |3A8F49D32E4953D0FFB24EC93B04FC25E803D41CD9A52C39CFA25F89BEAD51A1F27|
    |FDE812C57F224B5AE3BB133E19B9AE353ECE5AB8B5E1FFDFEB53B49E227CB399749|
    |9E516CB1D96BB2CAB2C6B2CEB2C1B2C3A4BED736375FC02EFEB22CB2596CB2C1DBC|
    |BF47EC0CF177196189B2C4585A58E22CAD2CED2C49967D96DA6F93BF0B7E|
    |-------------------------------------------------------------------|

A duck! on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fortunatas also do very respectable damage while controlling things at the same time. They're far slower than, say, my Stalker, but they're nowhere near Defender territory or anything.

I just need to revise my Fort to have less attacks, since I never use half the ones I have due to just not having enough time, but since my account runs out in a few days, I can't be arsed to do so.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey anyone with mind control experience: Is the single target sleep worth taking? The build i'm looking at now has my AoE sleep up every 11 seconds. I'm thinking that a sleep that does damage isn't really worth taking.

Narbus on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The reason to take the sleep would be to slot it as an ST attack, which as a dom I wouldn't think you really need.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Early on it's nice for a solo control power, but there's no use for it later except for set bonuses.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Levitate gives better set bonuses anyway. Plus I get to launch people which I always love.

Narbus on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can stack it with the AoE sleep for an alternate way to lock down a boss. Not a big deal if you've got Domination up often enough.

Or... wait. Did I use the ST confuse for that? It's been so long I can't remember!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ringo wrote: »
    You can stack it with the AoE sleep for an alternate way to lock down a boss. Not a big deal if you've got Domination up often enough.

Or... wait. Did I use the ST confuse for that? It's been so long I can't remember!

ST sleep does damage so you have to use it first, which is the opposite of how you normally want to drop an AoE and ST on a spawn. I've been told it's a good emergency power for the LRSF if you don't mind absorbing a hit (which is still better than losing one of em), so I might have to give that a try.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So, farming with my fire/rad is kind of relaxing. I just run into a group, set up my toggles, and after a while everything dies.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    OH GOD FINALLY.
    War Witch wrote:
    Hey everyone,

I know you’ve been asking for some new Going Rogue information, and I’ve got some exciting news that I’d like to share with all of you.

Here at Paragon Studios, we’ve been hard at work preparing our newest expansion, Going Rogue, for prime time. One of our major features, the alignment system that allows our players to switch sides, has presented the perfect opportunity for us to improve Hero and Villain auction and trading dynamics. In order to make the alignment switching system the most fun and rewarding experience possible, we’ve made a few key improvements based on beta tester and internal studio feedback.

Here’s a brief list of these upgrades:

* Heroes and Villains can now trade and gift each other in Co-Op zones (except in PvP zones)
    * Players can Global Email (GleeMail) INF and most items to their characters regardless of alignment (some restrictions apply)
    * The Auction House markets for Heroes and Villains will become ONE

Wait. What?

Yes. You heard me, we’re merging the markets. After looking at how the system has performed in beta, we thought long and hard about the Markets themselves. This important improvement seemed to make everything more accessible and streamlined, allowing every character to participate. Keeping the markets divided would require significant on-going development support, and we needed to take this into consideration. But, most importantly we wanted to produce the most fun system possible, and this decision reflects that.

These changes are very exciting and will simplify not only the way we create content, but provide freedom for you to play your characters the way you choose.

War Witch

P.S. An informative FAQ is available for questions you may have regarding these major changes.

From here

EDIT: Here's the FAQ
    We knew you folks would be curious about how the market merge will work, so we’ve done our best to answer some of what we think will be the most commonly asked questions. As we read more feedback, we will add to this FAQ as needed.

Q: When will the market merge occur?

A: The markets will be merged with the launch of Going Rogue.

Q: So what will happen to my inf when my characters switch alignments? Previously were heard about some sort of escrow system, will that still happen?

A: No. Influence/Infamy/Information, Salvage, Enhancements, and Recipes will not be escrowed. Your character will retain all their possessions and inf when they transfer sides.

Q: You said that there are some restrictions that apply to what items we can mail to our other characters, what are they?

A: The restrictions on mail will be as follows:

* Trial accounts will not be able to use Global email.
    * Trial accounts will not be able to claim more than 50,000 inf.
    * Merits cannot be globally emailed.
    * Vanguard Merits cannot be globally emailed.
    * The Gamestop Going Rogue Pre-Order Enhancements cannot be globally emailed.

Q: What will happen when the markets merge? How will current bids be resolved? Will all my items stored in the AH disappear?

A: All bids will be returned back to the “storage” state. For example, if you placed a 1000 Inf bid on Boresight, and that bid has not been filled, the 1000 inf bid will be cancelled, and will be returned in a “storage” state for your character to “claim”.

Everything currently on the market -- both items for sale and bids – will be cancelled and held in storage. In the case of bids, a message will display in a BIG RED FONT telling you that the bid was cancelled due to market merger.

Q: Are the currencies being renamed, or will they still be called “infamy” and “influence”?

A: We will not be renaming influence or infamy. On your character ID cards, we will be changing the appearance of Influence, Infamy and Information to “INF”.

To learn more about how these changes will take place, please visit here.

Narbus on
  • Options
    RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Scouped by Narbus!

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh also:
    NCsoft and Paragon Studios are proud to announce that players will have the opportunity to walk the line between good and evil (or cross it), on 17th August 2010 with the release of City of Heroes Going Rogue™. City of Heroes Going Rogue is the second paid expansion in the City of Heroes® franchise. For the first time in any super-powered MMORPG, the moral choices players make will affect their characters' game play experiences. Heroes can fall from grace to become villains, while villains can redeem themselves to become Heroes. In addition, players can now access the alternate universe of Praetoria where they can enjoy new missions, zones, costume sets, fight new villain groups, and play with new power sets including Demon Summoning, Dual Pistols, Electric Control and Kinetic Melee.

"I was proud when we launched City of Heroes® back in 2004 and even prouder when we unveiled the City of Villains® expansion in 2005, but Going Rogue is by far the best work that this team has ever done. Paragon Studios has distinguished itself as a premier studio committed to excellence with every issue and we've raised the bar on this expansion. I'm so honored to be a part of this team and I believe that our players will be absolutely amazed when they see what we've done." - Melissa Bianco, Lead Designer of City of Heroes.

City of Heroes Going Rogue will be available as an expansion-only, or as part of the City of Heroes Going Rogue Complete Collection, which includes both City of Heroes® and City of Villains®. Both versions of City of Heroes Going Rogue will be available from the NCsoft store.

Narbus on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Little bit sad the release isn't until August.

Its made better by the fact the markets are being merged.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Given that the beta still isn't in full swing, I don't think it could've come any sooner than August.

Scooter on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought it sounded a bit soon myself, but that date sounds good to me.

Does anyone know if that Gamestop preorder deal is for a limited time or anything? I wanted to wait and see if they spring any more last minute bonuses on us.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I think it was pretty much foregone that it wasn't coming in july.

August is actually sooner than I had expected.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They said that the preorder bonuses won't be available after GR launches, so there's a time table. Also they said 'there are no plans' to have any other pre-order bonuses like this. Take that for whatever it's worth

Narbus on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I've been playing CoX with my girlfriend on a duo of Elec/Elec scrapper(her) and blaster(me). Probably not the most efficient, but it sure is fun to destroy bosses endurance bars.

Aside from a couple brief stints in games like Ragnarok Online, the major MMO we've played is Warhammer online and she -loved- murdering people in PvP. What should I know about PvP in CoX( I've never done it before except doing a few zone missions) before we embark on killing mans? Also, can you Arena at any level?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    PvP in this game is terrible. Amazingly terrible. They tried to fix it a few issues back and they somehow made it much, much worse.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I realize that some of you hate when people do this, and I just don't care right now this is too good. There are people threatening to ragequit over the market merge. And here's why:
    Venture wrote:
    Wentworth's is a business that deals exclusively in items used to make superhumans (i.e. the most dangerous things in the world) more powerful. It would necessarily be the most heavily scrutinized and regulated business in the history of human endeavor. This is in a world with people who can read minds, see through walls, predict the future, etc. It's utterly absurd to think there could be an open pipeline of goods flowing through Went's to and from the Rogue Islands without anyone knowing about it. Once discovered, the company would be shut down, permanently, no saving throw. (Not necessarily by the government -- what do you think e.g. Manticore would do if he had solid evidence Went's was dirty?)

In order for this state of affairs to persist, it must be the case that Wentworth's is openly corrupt and is being protected by the government -- which is simultaneously refusing to recognize the Rogue Isles, embargoing and giving support to the Phalanx's private war against such, etc. Which makes no sense. It doesn't make much sense that heroes would knowingly market their Weapons Of Mass Destruction components through a company known to be doing business with superhuman terrorists, either, but the average player doesn't give a fig for such trifles as world consistency.

And then he went and topped himself:
    Venture wrote:
    Don't you use Architect Entertainment? Like, a lot? Isn't that still a joint venture of Dr. Aeon and Crey Corporation?
    We don't have a choice; if we want to use MA we have to do it through AE. The vast majority of players I've spoken with not only ignore the stupid backstory (really, I have no idea why anyone at PS thought that was a good idea) but treat MA stories as if they were "real" and not holodeck shennanigans.

Thanks to reward merits, I do have a choice as to how to get stuff.

I'm going to have that knitted onto the tummy of a teddy bear so I can just hug it every single day.

Narbus on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Totally need RP reasons to use ingame systems man.

Lep on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Narbus wrote: »
    PvP in this game is terrible. Amazingly terrible. They tried to fix it a few issues back and they somehow made it much, much worse.

Just reiterating Narbus here.

CoX PvP isn't bad in the way that WAR or WoW PvP are "bad." That is, it's not an issue of a small handful of balance issues.

CoX PvP is broken in a fundamental way. Through and through, it is fucking terrible. Nothing works right. At all. And there are like 3 people who actually take part in it. If you do go into a PvP zone, it's probably to do something PvE-oriented, like get shivans. And you will still probably be killed by the one guy in the zone who will, of course, be a stealthed blapper or stalker.

Best to pretend that PvP in CoX doesn't exist, because it is irredeemably awful.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How useful would a Scrapper be in CoV? Isn't a Scrapper just a Brute with no rage meter?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Like a stalker with lower damage but more HP, but not as survivable as a brute.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh, Venture. Keeping on the crazyness I see.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Robziel wrote: »

Don't scrappers do more damage then a stalker on average? I mean, I know the stalkers get that nasty assassin strike from stealth thing for massive burst damage, but I was under the impression that over time a scrapper would out damage a stalker.

Of course, it's been a while since I played, and even when I played I was more a controller/defender person (Or MM/Dom redside) so my impressions may be completely wrong.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Venture amazes me. I want to study him as an anthropologist would members of a culture isolated on a tiny island. He is either the most accomplished forum troll in the history of trolls or... man I don't even know.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Don't scrappers do more damage then a stalker on average? I mean, I know the stalkers get that nasty assassin strike from stealth thing for massive burst damage, but I was under the impression that over time a scrapper would out damage a stalker.

Of course, it's been a while since I played, and even when I played I was more a controller/defender person (Or MM/Dom redside) so my impressions may be completely wrong.

They changed the way stalkers work a while back, now their chance to crit is based, in large part, off how many people are on their team. Once they're on a team with 7 other players, they have a higher chance to crit than scrappers.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Venture amazes me. I want to study him as an anthropologist would members of a culture isolated on a tiny island. He is either the most accomplished forum troll in the history of trolls or... man I don't even know.

He's a guy who basically wants the world to fit exactly the way he wants it. In a word, he's a critic. In another word, he's a complainer. In a most accurate word, he's a bitch.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Agreed, it's one of the massive failures in COH/V.

Come for the PVE, beat up dudes all day long, but PVP in COH isn't worth it.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

They changed the way stalkers work a while back, now their chance to crit is based, in large part, off how many people are on their team. Once they're on a team with 7 other players, they have a higher chance to crit than scrappers.

Wait, are you telling me that stalkers are now a valued and contributing member of a team, rather then one hit wonders who serve primarly as fallout/vengeance bait or run off on their own and die to the entire room they just agro'd?

Wierd.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They also upped their base HP, and when they make a successful Assassian's Strike there's a decent chance that they get a tohit-debuff/fear PBAoE. It went a long way towards making them helpful.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I got asked for these and kept forgetting to post the link.

City of on Acid
    screenshot_100613-21-22-24.jpg

All of the screen shots from when my copy of City of did acid.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/104687372412348897512/CoXScreenshots#

Robziel on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They also upped their base HP, and when they make a successful Assassian's Strike there's a decent chance that they get a tohit-debuff/fear PBAoE. It went a long way towards making them helpful.

Yep. My Claws/Nin Stalker, once I got it buffed out with IO sets, was already pretty much unkillable by anything short of an AV or a bunch of Nemesis. Once the buffs went in? Hoo, I was pretty happy.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So, we're a short bit out from GR going live, what are people going to do when that happens?

Do we want to try and get a resistance or police team going?

Robziel on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    so, what's in this patch today?

ed: also why does it take such a long goddamn time to apply a 20 meg patch?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.