As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoX] Anyone for Dr. Q?

• Options
    TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn you and your logic (totally said I would be misusing the word), and well yes. It was unprofessional, and while I can appreciate him being unprofessional. I can totally understand why the people running the company would dislike this.

Still sucks though, I liked BABs.

Tornelco on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    she couldn't have been one year older, huh.

Like I said, could have been worse. Like the fairy child WeX posted a week or so ago, or the McDonald's Employee guy (his character name) that got kicked off for his comments regarding Ms Liberty at the weird event last night.

Edit: Been browsing City of Data, to check out the Defender Psionic Blast versus Blaster. On paper, there doesn't seem to be much difference?

Defender: Mental Blast-1 Subdue-1.32 TK Blast-1.64 Will Domination-1.96
    Blaster: Psionic Dart-1 Mental Blast-1.64 TK Blast-1.96 Will Domination-1.24
    (All animations between 1 and 1.67 seconds)

Radiation Blast, though. Neutron Bomb's animation time is much shorter than I remember it. I remember it taking FOREVER. Did they change it, or something? I could have sworn it took longer than Electron Haze, which is similarly way-too-long.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If I've learned one thing from observing Cryptic/Paragon's relations with their users over the years, it's that they put way too much stock in the input of the vocal minority that post on their forums. Babs getting axed seems ultimately symptomatic of that, although what he said was pretty unprofessional.

And yeah, I would play a rad/fire blaster in a second if I could just get over how obnoxious rad's aoe animations are

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    See, here's the thing: that's not something you get fired for.
    Chewed out in the boss' office? ban him from commenting on the board? sure. But you don't fire the guy for it, unless he said something really terrible I'm not aware of.

I should also point out that at this point, we don't even know if he even got fired in the first place. So this is all hearsay and conjecture.

So uhh...how's them defenders huh? Sure do suck, dont they?

WeX Majors on
  • Options
    RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm told his linkedin profile has been updated to state that he is now working as the lead animator for Cryptic.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, he wasn't unemployed for long!

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cryptic seems to be doing okay for itself, so if that's true I'm happy for him. It really does seem like every time CoX pushes out another paid expansion its developer lurches and almost topples over. :P

Glal on
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well good for him! Always glad to see anyone manages to get a new job so quickly.
    In other news, Got my Brute to 18 while going through a few story arcs in Praetoria which impressed me greatly.
    I'll spoil the arc talk, just in case.
    So I go through this whole rigamarole to completely liquidate the syndicate. Find out that the worlds biggest crime organization is run by...the worlds biggest company shockgasp. Go through this awesome mission where I'm told that the reason the syndicate aligned themselves with the resistance is because the boss's daughter is part of the seer program and he wants her out.
    A noble idea to be sure, but when it gives me the alignment choice I realize it comes down to beating up the heads of a world wide crime network, or killing the undercover agent with a wife and two kids. So clearly, the syndicate is destroyed, but that meant the dude's daughter is stuck in the seer program.

Cue the next arc with IVy. She gets kidnapped, Metronome takes her over. Why? because he wants to remove the "souls" of the seers and put them in the bodies of the clockwork so they may live foreverblahblah. The first test subject for this experiment?
    IVy and the Syndicate's daughter.

So I might actually get a chance to save the kid after all.

Also, the first mission I did in the arc after breaking up the syndicate, some random sword disciple or whatever goes "The Syndicate is still strong!" which I got a laugh out of.

WeX Majors on
  • Options
    RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really need to do the new preatorian stuff but... I kind of just want to wait for i19

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2010
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    See, here's the thing: that's not something you get fired for.
    Chewed out in the boss' office? ban him from commenting on the board? sure. But you don't fire the guy for it, unless he said something really terrible I'm not aware of.

I should also point out that at this point, we don't even know if he even got fired in the first place. So this is all hearsay and conjecture.

So uhh...how's them defenders huh? Sure do suck, dont they?

Yeah no one actually said he got fired for it. Someone said they liked the way he spoke to forumers and I said "I didn't"

Tube on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Someone tell me how to level a widow to 24 solo without making me want to do physical harm to myself

I seem to have all the damage output of a defender and all the defenses of a blaster here

(I say 'solo' because I don't seem to be on reliably at the same time as anyone else)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are some very good solo AE arcs for low levels, you can try those.

Focus on accuracy and endurance slotting. Carry a LOT of purples and reds. Stock up. AE is also good for that, as you don't have to run to get them, the vendor is right there. One red, one purple every fight should speed things up.

Craft some temp powers. There are some decent temporary attacks you can grab, as well as some buffs. And they go cheap, usually, on the broker.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Someone tell me how to level a widow to 24 solo without making me want to do physical harm to myself

I seem to have all the damage output of a defender and all the defenses of a blaster here

(I say 'solo' because I don't seem to be on reliably at the same time as anyone else)

I'll level you next time I'm on if you agree to remain silent at all times.

Tube on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Robziel wrote: »
    I'm told his linkedin profile has been updated to state that he is now working as the lead animator for Cryptic.

Apparently it was just a glitch on the LinkedIn page. He's currently showing as unemployed and apparently had changed his job title to something hilarious last night since he knew people were checking it.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/christopher-bruce/3/157/465

Truth is BaBs hasn't been active on the forums in months, he removed his twitter weeks ago, and most if not all of the new animations have been done by new people. This has probably been coming awhile, but I'm not so sure he was laid off, probably more mutual then anything else.

Truth is no one knows what happened beyond the fact that some asshat released details to the media about layoffs and name dropped BaBs probably in some attempt to stir the pot. It was also only 9 people of a studio of over 60 people. More then likely temp/contract employees who were only hired for the short term to get GR out the door.

But yeah, meh to just feeding the DOOOOOOM rumor mill that the asshat leak was just trying to stir up anyways.

As far as cryptic goes... available numbers show CO is doing no better and actually the same as COX, its competitor thats 5 years old. The only thing Cryptic knows how to do is crap out a half finished horrible product then unceremoniously kill it with stupidity.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »

I'll level you next time I'm on if you agree to remain silent at all times.

I agree to nothing

(thanks anyway, I'll manage, just need to truck around more inspirations I think.)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only advice I can give to leveling a widow is:

Stay in melee.

You get some ranged attacks, but pretty much all of your defenses (read: one) is melee based. Playing a ranged game as a low level widow leaves you pretty much defenseless.

Stick to the melee attacks, and close quick on enemies. It's really the only way to survive. Other than that, yeah, a lot of insps.

If you're deadset on taking a ranged attack, take Poison Dart. It's good, doesn't cause redraw issues (not sure if the psi-based ones do), and can be used in a rotation until you fill out a bit. Later on, you can pick up Dart Burst for a cone, but it's an end hog for the damage. I got more distance out of ST'ing things down.

Ender on
  • Options
    Ghost IVGhost IV Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Hi, Ghost IV here, I'm new to PA Boards but I've been playing CoX for over 3 years. I've recently moved a lot of my characters to Virtue and I'm desperately looking for an SG that isn't full of rampaging 12 year-olds, nekos or control freaks. So far I've had terrible luck. Are there any PA Super Groups on Virtue and where can I sign up?

Also, really confused about all of the "defenders are terrible" stuff. I solo my TA/Archery Defender on +0/x6 and use my Storm/Dark Defender as a tank. Plus Radiation/Sonic is one of the scariest combos in the game.

Ghost IV on
    CoX 50's

Guardian: Willpower/Dark Tank, Energy/Energy Blaster, Illusions/Sonic Controller, Ice/Ice Dominator, Fire/Regen Scrapper, Martial Arts/Reflex Scrapper, Earth/Empathy Controller, Warshade

Virtue: Fire/Thermal Corrupter, Warmace/Shield Brute, Spines/Electric Scrapper, Trick Arrow/Archery Defender, Electric/Ninjitsu Stalker
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ghost IV wrote: »
    Hi, Ghost IV here, I'm new to PA Boards but I've been playing CoX for over 3 years. I've recently moved a lot of my characters to Virtue and I'm desperately looking for an SG that isn't full of rampaging 12 year-olds, nekos or control freaks. So far I've had terrible luck. Are there any PA Super Groups on Virtue and where can I sign up?

Also, really confused about all of the "defenders are terrible" stuff. I solo my TA/Archery Defender on +0/x6 and use my Storm/Dark Defender as a tank. Plus Radiation/Sonic is one of the scariest combos in the game.

The fact that you "can" doesn't mean somebody else can't do it far far better, and far more quickly. A Corruptor typically fills the role a Defender does just as well whilst outputting vastly more damage. There's no meaningful difference between a /Kinetics Defender and a /Kinetics Corruptor in terms of how well the buffs work. The problem with Defenders isn't that they themselves are without use, but that almost every other AT in the game brings more to the table.

As for SGs, we have an SG but it's mostly for show. The Penny Arcade channel is where everything goes down.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Question: did they put a target cap on AOE knockback/knockup/whatever? I don't remember my...whatever the MA legswipe move is only hitting three targets.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, the SGs are mainly for ease of transport, you're welcome to join the PA channel and get invites as needed from anyone there.

Baron: I would comment on MA, but I haven't played one since...pre-ED times when it was just painful all around. Has the radius on the move changed at all?

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I haven't touched my MA/RG Scrapper in about 800 days (it's nice they have that figure on the character screen) so I don't know.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dragon's tail has 10 target cap but a 8' radius so it's rather small.

Arcas on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ghost IV wrote: »

Everything you need to know about us should be in the second OP post. If not, ask away.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It might be worth putting a note in the OP that at present new members of the channel need to be unsilenced by a channel mod.

Tube on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It might be worth putting a note in the OP that at present new members of the channel need to be unsilenced by a channel mod.

You know I honestly had no idea that was the case until you mentioned it recently, will do.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2010
    Actually, I should probably remove that. I think that guy gave up.

A duck! on
  • Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nah that guy is still in the channel. He goes by MondoCool. Someone unsilenced him but he hasn't said anything yet so I haven't done anything.

Arcas on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2010
    Well, LRSF went pretty well. I love the single-target sleep so much.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dominators just never stop being funny.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Had fun doing the LRSF. Even though I felt lost at times. Not used to playing anymore.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I would love to do the LRSF sometime, but I'm sort of busy the next two weekends with having friends over. It'd be pretty antisocial to play CoX for however long it takes to finish up the Strike Force while I had visitors.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    I would love to do the LRSF sometime, but I'm sort of busy the next two weekends with having friends over. It'd be pretty antisocial to play CoX for however long it takes to finish up the Strike Force while I had visitors.

For future planning purposes, a LRSF can take as little as one hour. It's pretty speedy. :)

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »

For future planning purposes, a LRSF can take as little as one hour. It's pretty speedy. :)

Kinda like you, I guess. (I was talking to my mom last night.)

But seriosuly, that sounds pretty decent. I'd ask that we didn't speed through it totally though, so I could read the mission briefings and stuff and know what the hell we're doing and why. I'm weird like that, I like reading the mission info.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Finally got my Blood Widow to 24. Fortunata seems neato so far, though I'm not sure if I want to main that or the Night Widow branch yet.

Glad I finally got past 20 though, jesus christ.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Found a pretty amazing PUG via Virtue Badges and ran Reichsman and Statesman's TFs back to back! :D

Lotta fun, lotta fun. But none of you gooses would join us.

Also I discovered that Statesman's Task Force is way harder than LRSF. Lord Recluse with those towers is made of death.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    only because you can't aoe sleep the towers

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    State's TF is both a pain and joy for me.

Kiting Mako for 20mins doesn't get old. Seeing Sirocco slaughter everyone in and around the boat was hilarious too.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No one would join you because the reichsman task force is the worst possible thing to do with your time

Tube on
  • Options
    TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No one would join you because the reichsman task force is the worst possible thing to do with your time

Pretty much this, exactly. That Taskforce is just dull and annoying, not to mention the AV that is nothing but a huge sack of health.

Tornelco on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Really? Seemed pretty entertaining to me. For all the talk of Reichsman's completely unreasonable amount of hit points, he and the periodic AV fights really didn't take very long. It never started to drag.

Edit: Of course, we had a Cold Defender so between Benumb and Heat Loss AV fights were in general pretty easy.

Fiaryn on
This discussion has been closed.