Options

The New, Mighty and Secretly Dark Avenging (and Defending) Thread!

24567102

Posts

  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    So, with the Thunderbolts and Fury's Secret Warriors I'm kind of left to wonder why the Secret Avengers are needed.

    Not that I'm complaining, I love Black Ops superheroes, it's just a little weird.

    They needed somewhere to stick Cap Classic and apparently Nova is getting cancelled.

    Im pretty sure thats the reasoning because theres no reason Cap or the other heroes have the right to be running spec ops in international territories.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Actually, considering this is the replacement for SHIELD? Yeah, they do.

    Furu on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait the SA are the entire replacement for SHIELD?

    Just make the V-Battalion the new SHIELD, they're already well equipped.

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not sure how sneaky the entire team flying to Mars in an alien spaceship is. The seems pretty standard Regular Not-Secret Avengers to me.

    The level of secret-ness better be cranked up soon, that's all I'm saying.

    And is it me or does Deodato do some really disturbing teeth every now and then?

    NODe on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think that we're focusing too much on the 'Secret' being they are unknown. I mean it's pretty clear that they exist, I think the whole 'Secret Avengers' thing is that they just come and go without the publicity like the other Avengers, getting down and dirty and getting things done - like those missions that are shades of gray and might compromise the clean image the other teams strive for. When I think of it this way, and also focus on the badassery I don't really mind so much that it's kind of over the top.

    cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just looked at my home page on heavy ink, and I noticed something that I'm not sure if you guys did.

    Compare the covers of Avengers 4 and Secret Avengers 4.

    It's probably nothing beyond a coincidence, but it's a pretty cool one.

    HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm actually really liking West Coast Avengers 2 (aka Secret Avengers), mostly for the fact that it's got my man Mark Spector on the team. I wasn't too sure about the addition of Ant-Man/O'Grady to the team, but there's a lot of potential for character growth there and I think that they're going in the right direction with it.

    Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I just looked at my home page on heavy ink, and I noticed something that I'm not sure if you guys did.

    Compare the covers of Avengers 4 and Secret Avengers 4.

    It's probably nothing beyond a coincidence, but it's a pretty cool one.

    Ha, nice! Noticed it too. Theres also a bunch of of painted covers coming up that i think make one continuous avengers image. Academy #1 cover looks like its links to new avengers on its right side and then something with the hood in it on the left.

    Secret Avengers #1
    Last variant cover on this page...

    And Avengers #1 looks like its got new avengers on it's left...
    ...in this cover

    Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm actually really liking West Coast Avengers 2 (aka Secret Avengers), mostly for the fact that it's got my man Mark Spector on the team. I wasn't too sure about the addition of Ant-Man/O'Grady to the team, but there's a lot of potential for character growth there and I think that they're going in the right direction with it.

    Marc Spector and Richard Rider (and Eric O'Grady to a lesser extent) are what have attratced me to that team too.

    Solar on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gank wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I just looked at my home page on heavy ink, and I noticed something that I'm not sure if you guys did.

    Compare the covers of Avengers 4 and Secret Avengers 4.

    It's probably nothing beyond a coincidence, but it's a pretty cool one.

    Ha, nice! Noticed it too. Theres also a bunch of of painted covers coming up that i think make one continuous avengers image. Academy #1 cover looks like its links to new avengers on its right side and then something with the hood in it on the left.

    Secret Avengers #1
    Last variant cover on this page...

    And Avengers #1 looks like its got new avengers on it's left...
    ...in this cover

    You mean to form this?:
    AllAvengers.jpg

    cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    *cough* no...

    That's some sweet art though. Wouldn't mind getting all the variants.

    Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That piece of gorgeous. Djurdevic really pulled out the stops for it, ever since I first saw it it's been my desktop background.

    Solar on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Same here ::fist bump::

    edit: Gank, you could probably get the poster for cheaper. I think the variants are like $10 a piece or something (spanning like 6-7 titles)

    double edit: apparently it was pre-order only and sold out

    cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ha! Just made it my background when i saw it. And i think i will get the poster, $10 is a bit of a rip. Got Coipels Thor poster, and this is muuuuuch nicer.

    Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ::Fist Bump::

    Hey so having read Avengers and Secret Avengers I gotta say Brubaker seems to be pulling it off better. That's possibly because I prefer the characters in the Secret Avengers but honestly the straight up Avengers seems to be very much the whole crew patting themselves on the back about how cool they are, whereas the SA actually get the shit done.

    I really want O'Grady to get a crowning moment of heroism and gain the respect of the team though, right now he's trying to redeem himself a little so it would be fun if he got that moment when the rest of the team says "yeah, he's a good guy, he's got what it takes."

    Solar on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was crushed when Irredeemable Ant-Man was canned. I didn't even know he was in SA until i read number 1 and now i'm just waiting for him to be the next hawkeye. Also, i gotta agree, Brubaker really strung together a great first issue.

    Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darkstar and the Winter Guard #1 was pretty good, brings back a lot of old school russian characters, I can't remember seeing Vazhin since Claremont's X-Men days. It also does something funny with Ursa Major and a popular Russian meme Preved.

    It does have a stupid backup in it from an X-Men Unlimited issue around 2000 (when Gambit was leading a team) where they don't even give you the whole story, they are padding this mini with one story broken up over the three issues, hella lame. And on top of it they make the coloring for this part even worse than when it came out years ago, in an attempt to make it a "classic" backup or something? It's like they lost the coloring file for the original print and gave someone 50 bucks to recolor it.

    But the main story is good, the art is decent, and Atlas appears in the first part, so it's worth checking out.

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    ::Fist Bump::

    Hey so having read Avengers and Secret Avengers I gotta say Brubaker seems to be pulling it off better. That's possibly because I prefer the characters in the Secret Avengers but honestly the straight up Avengers seems to be very much the whole crew patting themselves on the back about how cool they are, whereas the SA actually get the shit done.

    I really want O'Grady to get a crowning moment of heroism and gain the respect of the team though, right now he's trying to redeem himself a little so it would be fun if he got that moment when the rest of the team says "yeah, he's a good guy, he's got what it takes."

    I don't know. One of the reason why Irredimable was so awesome, was that Eric was that SPECIAL type of asshole. The kind that was a completley self serving jackass, but you can't totally hate him because hey, he's funny, and honestly, we wish we could be that much of a jackass.

    As long as his moment untimatley gets fucked up because hey, he's actually a jackass, I will be completley cool with it.

    Transporter on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    ::Fist Bump::

    Hey so having read Avengers and Secret Avengers I gotta say Brubaker seems to be pulling it off better. That's possibly because I prefer the characters in the Secret Avengers but honestly the straight up Avengers seems to be very much the whole crew patting themselves on the back about how cool they are, whereas the SA actually get the shit done.

    I really want O'Grady to get a crowning moment of heroism and gain the respect of the team though, right now he's trying to redeem himself a little so it would be fun if he got that moment when the rest of the team says "yeah, he's a good guy, he's got what it takes."

    I don't know. One of the reason why Irredimable was so awesome, was that Eric was that SPECIAL type of asshole. The kind that was a completley self serving jackass, but you can't totally hate him because hey, he's funny, and honestly, we wish we could be that much of a jackass.

    As long as his moment untimatley gets fucked up because hey, he's actually a jackass, I will be completley cool with it.

    It was cool when he was a jerk, but I'm a sucker for a hero, and we've had Eric as a loser phase, character progression is always welcome. It's one of the reaons why I find it hard to get behind older characters, the status quo is seen in some way to be a sacred cow and it never changes, there is very little actual character progression. That was where the Ultimate line could have been great, sadly in the case of Ultimatum the big setting changing event was really, really badly done.

    Solar on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I actually really think that they're going to go the route of redeeming O'Grady's character a lot during his run in the SA. Like Solar said, we've already seen the asshole and Irredeemable phase in his character development, now it's just time for him to evolve a little in respect to the kind of people he's working with. We all know that a personality like Steve Rogers won't personally stand O'Grady's shenanigans if they serve as a detriment to the team in the long run.

    As for Nova, I was kind of confused about his addition to the team in general because he's such a big character type it might serve as an unbalancing factor for the team overall and make him stick out like a sore thumb. For example, it makes sense to have a cosmic hero on the team for, say, a mission to Mars (which is what they're doing now), but how relevant will he be when the team doesn't really need cosmic stuff done? Will they start writting cosmic threats specifically so they can use the character? If they do it would kind of mess up the dynamic of the team as an off-books, shadow ops squadron of superheroes.

    That said, the only way I can view a reconcilliation of the character Nova to the team is basically he acts as their Hulk. A big gun they use whenever they come up against some force that they can't deal with practically. This works for me, but I'm still afraid that Nova has the potential to unbalance the team in a way that makes the mission sets they go on unpractical concerning the current roster. And doesn't Nova still have the rebuilding of the Nova Corps to worry about? Was his book cancelled or not?

    Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't enjoy the idea of Nova just hanging around the Avengers like some very specific tool that only gets dusted off for one type of job. But that's almost better than what is likely to occur to Nova: water him down to an easier to write for power level. A shell of his more recent cosmic self.

    I'd rather he be off doing his usual awesome thing light years away with some kind of spooky-physics insto-transporter that lets him goof off with the Avengers once in a while between big cosmic events.

    Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Are you kidding? This would be amazing. Just as TerrifyingAvatarofDoom is about to devour Chicago or whatever Rogers yells "Lets drop an N-Bomb on that b***" and then Ant-man fires Nova at the T.A.D. out of some kind of bazooka.
    Comic _gold_.

    NODe on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think i remember Rogers saying he can just call in Nova when needed, like he won't just be kickin' about whatever headquarters they're using at the time. Makes sense and fits with rogers idea for the team as a strike force tailored for any situation.

    Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, Nova won't be chilling at base, he has rips in the universe and cthulhu to deal with. But when something big and nasty turns up Steve can call it in and Richie shows up to kick ass.

    Solar on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So what is the deal with tony and steve in Prime?

    I mean, besides the obvious point of contention of Civil War.

    Langly on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's the big thing between the two in Prime.

    Tony says something about things being rebuilt better and having a new armor design, Steve decides to be a communist and say he won't let Tony have the suit, they fight and then says Tony let Osborn take over which is pants on head stupid logic.

    Then Thor shuts the babies up and they go have an adventure in Asgard.

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    So what is the deal with tony and steve in Prime?

    I mean, besides the obvious point of contention of Civil War.

    One says that he should keep his armour because he made it so screw you Cap! The other then says that Tony seems pretty big on civil rights when it's his rights being threatened, which is a pretty sick burn. Then Thor is all like "get a room or come with me to kick some ass, your choice," and leaves.

    Solar on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As for Nova, I was kind of confused about his addition to the team in general because he's such a big character type it might serve as an unbalancing factor for the team overall and make him stick out like a sore thumb. For example, it makes sense to have a cosmic hero on the team for, say, a mission to Mars (which is what they're doing now), but how relevant will he be when the team doesn't really need cosmic stuff done? Will they start writting cosmic threats specifically so they can use the character? If they do it would kind of mess up the dynamic of the team as an off-books, shadow ops squadron of superheroes.

    Brubaker has said that Nova won't be hanging around the team all the time, he'll just be there when they need to do cosmic stuff (and the same goes for other team members, if they're not needed, they won't be there).

    DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As for Nova, I was kind of confused about his addition to the team in general because he's such a big character type it might serve as an unbalancing factor for the team overall and make him stick out like a sore thumb. For example, it makes sense to have a cosmic hero on the team for, say, a mission to Mars (which is what they're doing now), but how relevant will he be when the team doesn't really need cosmic stuff done? Will they start writting cosmic threats specifically so they can use the character? If they do it would kind of mess up the dynamic of the team as an off-books, shadow ops squadron of superheroes.

    Brubaker has said that Nova won't be hanging around the team all the time, he'll just be there when they need to do cosmic stuff (and the same goes for other team members, if they're not needed, they won't be there).

    I like this idea. Hopefully it'll open the door for more B and C list characters, like the JLU cartoon did. Rotate people in and out as they're needed, keeping a huge roster on call for anythng they might need them for.

    spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As for Nova, I was kind of confused about his addition to the team in general because he's such a big character type it might serve as an unbalancing factor for the team overall and make him stick out like a sore thumb. For example, it makes sense to have a cosmic hero on the team for, say, a mission to Mars (which is what they're doing now), but how relevant will he be when the team doesn't really need cosmic stuff done? Will they start writting cosmic threats specifically so they can use the character? If they do it would kind of mess up the dynamic of the team as an off-books, shadow ops squadron of superheroes.

    Brubaker has said that Nova won't be hanging around the team all the time, he'll just be there when they need to do cosmic stuff (and the same goes for other team members, if they're not needed, they won't be there).

    I like this idea. Hopefully it'll open the door for more B and C list characters, like the JLU cartoon did. Rotate people in and out as they're needed, keeping a huge roster on call for anythng they might need them for.

    See, one the one hand that would be cool, but on the other hand every time I read an issue without Nova I would be thinking all the way through "needs more Nova."

    Solar on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    As for Nova, I was kind of confused about his addition to the team in general because he's such a big character type it might serve as an unbalancing factor for the team overall and make him stick out like a sore thumb. For example, it makes sense to have a cosmic hero on the team for, say, a mission to Mars (which is what they're doing now), but how relevant will he be when the team doesn't really need cosmic stuff done? Will they start writting cosmic threats specifically so they can use the character? If they do it would kind of mess up the dynamic of the team as an off-books, shadow ops squadron of superheroes.

    Brubaker has said that Nova won't be hanging around the team all the time, he'll just be there when they need to do cosmic stuff (and the same goes for other team members, if they're not needed, they won't be there).

    I like this idea. Hopefully it'll open the door for more B and C list characters, like the JLU cartoon did. Rotate people in and out as they're needed, keeping a huge roster on call for anythng they might need them for.

    See, one the one hand that would be cool, but on the other hand every time I read an issue without Nova I would be thinking all the way through "needs more Nova."

    Won't be new to me, that's how I live my life, man.

    "This coffee needs more Nova."

    "This band needs more Nova."

    "This awkward sexual encounter needs more Nova."

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    As for Nova, I was kind of confused about his addition to the team in general because he's such a big character type it might serve as an unbalancing factor for the team overall and make him stick out like a sore thumb. For example, it makes sense to have a cosmic hero on the team for, say, a mission to Mars (which is what they're doing now), but how relevant will he be when the team doesn't really need cosmic stuff done? Will they start writting cosmic threats specifically so they can use the character? If they do it would kind of mess up the dynamic of the team as an off-books, shadow ops squadron of superheroes.

    Brubaker has said that Nova won't be hanging around the team all the time, he'll just be there when they need to do cosmic stuff (and the same goes for other team members, if they're not needed, they won't be there).

    I like this idea. Hopefully it'll open the door for more B and C list characters, like the JLU cartoon did. Rotate people in and out as they're needed, keeping a huge roster on call for anythng they might need them for.

    See, one the one hand that would be cool, but on the other hand every time I read an issue without Nova I would be thinking all the way through "needs more Nova."

    Won't be new to me, that's how I live my life, man.

    "This coffee needs more Nova."

    "This band needs more Nova."

    "This awkward sexual encounter needs more Nova."

    I... I thought I was alone...

    Solar on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aside from a JLU sort of Avengers book, I'd really like to see an ongoing book highlighting the left over Initiative teams. One shots (maybe an arc) of each team, what they're up to since the Invasion, etc.

    spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aside from a JLU sort of Avengers book, I'd really like to see an ongoing book highlighting the left over Initiative teams. One shots (maybe an arc) of each team, what they're up to since the Invasion, etc.

    Definitely! I was just re-reading some of secret invasion, with 3D-man, demon-slayer, stingray and other state teams. I really wanna know what's going on with the wider initiative now Dark Reign's over. We saw a bit in Marvel Zombies 3, that American Eagle one-shot and the Last Defenders mini, and all that did was whet my appetite for 50-State initiative stories.

    Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    New Black Widow creative team is Swierczynski & Garcia

    What the hell with the rotating teams all the time everywhere in every book by the big 2?

    Acuna is too good of an artist to keep moving around like this.

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    New Black Widow creative team is Swierczynski & Garcia

    What the hell with the rotating teams all the time everywhere in every book by the big 2?

    Acuna is too good of an artist to keep moving around like this.

    See, I want to care about Black Widow, but I really just can't. I cannot get behind that character as a protagonist, and it sucks because my shelf is sadly devoid of female-centric ongoings apart from one She-Hulk trade which isn't going to get expanded on because a) crap art and b) not that well written.

    Solar on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I feel that Ms Marvel really should have kept going and wouldn't have been too difficult in the Heroic Age, especially with all the other characters in rotation. She could have been working with Protector or whatever, there are plenty of ways she could have been incorporated, hell with Avengers Academy she could have been another prominent female for all the new girls to look up to. I don't really care for Tigra, and especially not BW.

    cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I feel that Ms Marvel really should have kept going and wouldn't have been too difficult in the Heroic Age, especially with all the other characters in rotation. She could have been working with Protector or whatever, there are plenty of ways she could have been incorporated, hell with Avengers Academy she could have been another prominent female for all the new girls to look up to. I don't really care for Tigra, and especially not BW.

    Did you see the final issues of Ms Marvel? They stopped giving a shit about that comic before the last arc came out. The storytelling went to shit and the art completely fell the fuck off. In the final panel of issue 50, Ms Marvel suddenly turned into a black woman with blonde hair.

    spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I feel that Ms Marvel really should have kept going and wouldn't have been too difficult in the Heroic Age, especially with all the other characters in rotation. She could have been working with Protector or whatever, there are plenty of ways she could have been incorporated, hell with Avengers Academy she could have been another prominent female for all the new girls to look up to. I don't really care for Tigra, and especially not BW.

    Did you see the final issues of Ms Marvel? They stopped giving a shit about that comic before the last arc came out. The storytelling went to shit and the art completely fell the fuck off. In the final panel of issue 50, Ms Marvel suddenly turned into a black woman with blonde hair.

    The Lovely Bastard wrote:
    if you say you wouldn't, remember you are racist

    Please direct any/all responses to TLB. :D

    Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    See Ms Marvel is cool and all but her ongoing was utter shite and if they restarted it then inevitably Prtotector would be in it too and I would be all "This should be Noh-Var's book because he is hardcore tacticool."

    Solar on
Sign In or Register to comment.