Options

The New, Mighty and Secretly Dark Avenging (and Defending) Thread!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Marvel is scared of Walker upstaging Steve Rogers, but he will return better than ever.

The question is how many inmates at the Raft he kills when the upcoming T-Bolts/Avengers Academy crossover happens in a few months, where there's a prison riot. I bet 2.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    John Walker: Superer Soldier

I'd buy it.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would read the shit out of Walker: Patriot Cyborg. I vote one death and two maimings during the crossover, the maimings will be equal or greater in lost limbs than Walkers own dis-arming. Also legging.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Walker doesn't want to be a damn robot like Scourge, and stubbornly refuses to go with anything other than basic replacements because damn it he doesn't need anything else. Which is really very in character for John Walker.

Solar on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have a feeling that Walker's going to get seriously injured in a prison break and will have to get some transplants from Nuke.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Walkers being silly, having a few cyborg limbs doesn't make him more cyborg than man and he can do much more good with those limbs than without. With those cheap prosthetics he'd be about as much use as a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Walker could easily win an ass-kicking contest with only one leg. Hell, he'd win with no legs by tearing off your leg and kicking your ass with it.

But yeah, it's not rational, but I can easily buy that he was traumatized by the incident and has developed a fear of becoming more like Nuke as a result.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's very in character for him, which basically makes it, on some level, a dick move. A dick move with good intention. Making it like almost everything walker does and this is why we love him. Well it's why i love him.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I would like to see something from Stark in regards to helping or at least attempting to help Walker out, because Walker always respected Stark out of the original team members.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I could see Walker getting over his stubbornness if he realizes, during the upcoming prison riot, that he could have done more good with better prosthetics, or something along those lines.

Alternatively, if Thunderbolts gets canned a few years down the road, or the book changes its identity again, I'm sure it won't take long for Walker to turn up all Deathlok'd.

Munch on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really don't want that to happen

I want Walker to just kick ass with his low-rent peg leg and hook hand

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One of the dumbest things I have ever seen someone in comics do was when recently a fake-future wolverine went out to face a horde of robots with just hooks for hands.

I mean, what was he going to do? leer at them?

Langly on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I would like to see something from Stark in regards to helping or at least attempting to help Walker out, because Walker always respected Stark out of the original team members.

Really? Why Stark, of all people?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They were on the Avengers West Coast team together and Force Works.

Basically Stark didn't treat him like a second rate Captain America like the jerks on the East Coast did (and Wonder Man), and Walker and Stark both had their demons that they kind of helped lean on each other about (Walker had lost his parents and, Tony was a recovering alcoholic and Armor Wars had just wrapped up, where he beat up communists so Walker was all hells yeah).

The next closest person to Walker would be Wanda.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    All i can picture is: "You... you beat up commies?" Walker gets all misty eyed and hugs a man for the first time ever.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The next closest person to Walker would be Wanda.

Did they ever get together?

Solar on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nah, I don't think he got along with any of the WC Avengers long enough to form any romantic attachments. It certainly doesn't say anything about who he's hooked up with in his Wikipedia or Wikia article.

But I doubt he got with Wanda anyway, she's from Eastern Europe after all. A place well known to be proud members of the Warsaw Pact.

Commies

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I posted some scenes in the Awesome Moments thread, he did hit on Bobbi for a while, although he did it to piss off Clint.

And he gets along decently with Julia Carpenter too, although it's never been anything more than a friendship. He was dating a chick in STARS when he was Judge Dredd Prime though, and I'm pretty sure he banged Val Cooper all the time at the CSA.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It seemed like Byrne had a plan for USAgent in WCA, but sadly, his run was cut short.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=3&T1=Questions+about+Aborted+Storylines#58
    Q:What's the story behind the unused Avengers West Coast cover with Kang?

JB: I'm going to break my own Number One Rule and tell a story that did not see print.

All this came out of the Immortus/Scarlet Witch debacle, of course. With the "realism" in Marvel at the time -- you know, like talking dragons being "telepathic", because that was more "realistic" -- it had become impossible to accept that Wanda's hex power could be something as prosaic as merely causing people to have "bad luck". So it had been decided that what she actually did was alter probabilities . Thus, if the probability of a badguy's gun jamming was 1000 to 1, she could make it 1 to 1, and the gun would jam. Bad luck for him!

When I came to do AVENGERS WEST COAST this was the accepted way of portraying Wanda's power -- but the more I thought about it, the more I realized this was really an incredible complication of something that had once been so simple. I mean, think about it! For Wanda to alter probabilities she would have to be reaching back thru the whole temporal chain of events that led to a single moment. She would have to be altering time -- retroactively!

Well, that sure seemed like something that could catch the eye of Immortus, eventually, and as I wrote the story, it did. Immortus, who had been seen pinching off alternate realities as part of a set up to this story, was engaged in a program of whittling the multiverse down to a single time-line. One which he would control.

Discovering Wanda's power, he was going to kidnap her and use her to further his plans. And the first thing he was going to do was alter probabilities so that when the Avengers battled Kang the first time, Kang won!

My story would reveal this in flashback, however, as we would open in the world long after this had happened. Pretty grim place, where most of the familiar heroes had been killed off or never become super powered in the first place. No FF, since they never took that rocket ride. No Hulk, since Rick Jone has never driven his car onto the Gamma Bomb test site. (One of the main characters was going to be Peter Parker, who had not become Spider-Man because of Immortus' manipulations.)

As the story progressed, we would learn slowly what had happened -- and also learn that we were not seeing "present day" Marvel, but rather a time a "few months" (Marvel Time) ago. The date would be just prior to when Thor, in order to save a wounded Black Knight, had used his hammer to open a portal in time and space and stuck the Knight into it. We would learn this when the Black Knight basically fell out of the air into the post-Kang's victory world. In that timeline, Thor had not placed him in the "time stasis", so when the changed world "caught up" to that moment, out popped the Black Knight. The multiverses intersected at that point, you see. Well, the Black Knight pretty quickly figures out what's going on, learns there is an underground (of course!) and helps the folk of the twisted version hunt down and stop Immortus, freeing Wanda (herself another link to the multiverse, by virtue of how Immortus has been manipulating her power) and setting everything right.

When all is restored, the Black Knight of course is back in that "hole in time", and Wanda is the only one who remembers how things were. A memory that fades, like a dream, very quickly. . . .

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I woulda read the shit outta that. I loves me an alternate future/present story.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    John Byrne seems like a pretty cool guy, and that story would have been fun. Cosmic alternate timelines and such are pretty much the Avenger's area of expertise.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think that's the only time I've read the phrase, "John Byrne seems like a pretty cool guy."

Munch on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That time travel story sounds just as convoluted as the realism he was griping about

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, yeah, because it utilizes the "realistic" explanation as a key point in his story.

Bleak dystopias wherein a scrappy band of rebels fight a hopeless battle until a time-displaced hero shifts the odds are so cliche, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, yeah, because it utilizes the "realistic" explanation as a key point in his story.

Bleak dystopias wherein a scrappy band of rebels fight a hopeless battle until a time-displaced hero shifts the odds are so cliche, though.

This one would have been from the same guy who plotted and drew the original "Days of Futures Past" story, though, and AWC was still during the 'quality' Byrne phase of his career.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That time travel story sounds just as convoluted as the realism he was griping about

I thought he was just griping about people trying to impose realism on what is essentially all fictional and untrue. I mean, believeability is all good and at least a sense of "this could actually happen!" but I thought he had a good point there. His story was about taking the new believeable aspect of Wanda's powers and using it to tell a cool story, nothing wrong with that.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I actually prefer House of M to the dystopia stories because the heroes' conflict over whether or not to forego a world that's arguably better (for the main characters, at least) is much more interesting than seeing them fight against something that's inarguably terrible.

And seeing Spider-Man nearly beat Quicksilver to death (in Son of M) for making him experience a life with Gwen was a pretty cool moment. If we ever do get something like House of M again, it'd be nice to have it be more of a character driven story than a major event so that we can get a few more personal moments like that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm frankly disappointed that they didn't delve more into the Spider-man/Gwen life together. I mean, that's gotta be worth at least 10 years of memories. I think it would have been believable if Peter had divorced MJ then because he was overcome with guilt and anguish over losing Gwen again, not to mention his son.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fred Van Lente to write an Avengers book.

Maybe a retro Avengers book, ala Iron Man Legacy or the new Thor book?

I'm guessing whatever it is, it'll be announced at SDCC.

Munch on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The FVL Avengers book might be a new cosmic title as well.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Young Allies #2 was good as the first, moves the story along while giving some characterization. Gravity and Firestar, you know they're going to hook up now, and she'll get to do some heavy lifting (that's what she said). What I did like is that you actually got a lot of dialogue and story for the price, compared to other books these days. Good value for money (and they brought the price back to $3). Firestar does seem a bit devolved experience-wise, this was the chick who fought Ultron in Europe for days non-stop, hot-tamale could be a bit smarter in fighting lower level villains.

I kind of hope they don't make a big deal about Toro being an illegal, and work on a way to get him citizenship (as in a "save the county, get a free green card" type thing). The mention of it makes it seem like it won't be mentioned but it probably will be, and I just don't want it to be a big thing or something that hits you over the head with trying to deliver a message. I've already got Superman getting ready to deliver some speeches about whatever, let the kids be kids. And kill the (lovely) Bastards.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone else really enjoy Children's Crusade?

I hope Heinberg has time to do a full ongoing again instead of just a mini like this. There were some great exchanges in here.

"They're white supremacists."
    "To be fair, they also hate lesbians and gays."
    "And, apparently, uppity women."
    "We must be their least favorite super hero team ever."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really don't see the need to throw it in every single issue that Teddy and Billy are gay and in a relationship.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But then how will everybody know that they're gay and in a relationship?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't really see how one issue is every single issue. O_o

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »

The constant blaring of Lady Gaga music from Wiccan's mystical iPod?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I don't really see how one issue is every single issue. O_o

It's more that they always say "They're in a relationship people JUST SO YOU KNOW," but hardly ever show actually doing anything relationshippy. They just hang out with the other Young Avengers and people comment on how they are gay.

Anyway, I don't care about those guys. What about Patriot and Hawkeye eh? That bitch is always leading you on bro, get a new crush. Rikki Barnes is hot and patroitic, she digs you man.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In Young Allies there's this weird tension with Rikki and Arana in regards to Toro showing up, I hope there isn't a push to make either a lesbian, only because that would seem a bit forced. Let them be friends, don't force a romance subplot into it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »

The constant blaring of Lady Gaga music from Wiccan's mystical iPod?

I ... I like Lady Gaga too. :(

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You're bluffin' with your muffin' is what you're doin'.

Like what Wanda does every day.

I have no idea where I'm going with this. I just wonder timewise where Children's Crusade falls because if it's two years ago
    Magneto didn't have his powers then

TexiKen on