Options

The New, Mighty and Secretly Dark Avenging (and Defending) Thread!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    No. Do not take a shit on Matt. And do not have anyone not Mark Waid writing this.

I will cut you if you fuck this up, Marvel.
    Uh

Punisher, Spider-Man and Daredevil are all pretty great right now

and Spider-Man and Daredevil are doing a crossover right now and it is great

no reason to be worried

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    We are comics fans Blank

worried is our default state

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    But Punisher is all death and murder and raar while Daredevil is happy and fun and does not need to be cross-pollinated. And Waid's writing that crossover and it is great because it is glib as all get out.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Arivia wrote:
    But Punisher is all death and murder and raar while Daredevil is happy and fun and does not need to be cross-pollinated. And Waid's writing that crossover and it is great because it is glib as all get out.
    Punisher and Daredevil have been crossing over for ages

the two characters have a lot of history

I really doubt Marvel would go "Well Daredevil has proved wildly successful because of its' new direction lets fuck that up"

Even if Waid isn't writing the whole thing it is almost certainly new happy Daredevil which the Punisher will either think is hilarious or absolutely hate

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    No. No. I DO NOT WANT.

*throws a tantrum in the toy aisle*

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    To be fair, torture in the marvel universe is hardly equal to torture in the real world. You would think that cap would have a telepath on staff at all times to be able to get information out of a non-supervillian with mental blocks or something or have someone that would at least be able to determine if someone is lying to him...so 'torture' in terms of what caps talking about could be someone ripping information from someones mind which would hurt like hell or possibly cause brain damage so could be construed as torture, but as long as the data was able to be proven as reliable i could see it as a viable alternative in a crunch (like the ticking clock obviously signifies).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Let's just say Ellis sets it up as far more than just a "crunch" - and Cap is definitely doing the best with what he has.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    I know some people are down on the HAMMER War, but I thought New Avengers 20 this week was fucking awesome, and I am not ashamed to admit it.

I'm really liking the Hammer War! Maybe it helped I wasn't around for Siege so I'm not tired of Norman Osborn, but he's so cool and collected and he is seemingly made of Teflon. It is really, really cool to see the Avengers face a dude in their weakest area - the public sphere.

That and then the Luke Cage moments. Also I'm not sure if it's Deodato's shading or the dude colouring him, but I really like how concrete people look in New while simultaneously jumping off the page. Good times.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    No. No. I DO NOT WANT.

*throws a tantrum in the toy aisle*

/Joins Arivia

Do no like/want Spidey or Rucka Punisher.

• Options
    yeah I like Rucka and I like the Punisher

but that is just not where Matt is right now

and that arch-typical DEATH DOOM DESTRUCTION logo does not fill me with anything more than dread that stuff will be sacrificed for sales

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    if it were happy spidey and happy daredevil playing off of grumpy ol' punisher, maybe

but that logo isn't giving me any confidence about it

• Options
    It's Marvel. How earth-shattering can it really be?

Anyway, I was thinking about Ennis' Punisher the other day. I think it's the quintessential and possibly the only Punisher I will like as an adult, though Remender's run is great but something else. Ignoring his END story, which is just ridiculous, that character is tragic in that when he dies the world will keep on rolling like he never existed, and his taking on the Slavers or even the mob is fighting the ocean with a teaspoon.

I mean, wasn't this whole three-way just hashed over during Shadowland? The one thing that bothers me is that this could end up being the tipping point where Matt has to face all the shit he's hiding/running from in Waid's series. I know that's coming, but for it to be in some damn crossover would be unfortunate.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Frankencastle is fantastic and I will hear no words to the contrary

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think Matt's running from anything in Waid's series. He's genuinely trying to break with the past. See ASM #677 for a number of turns on that. That scene with Kirsten had me laughing for ten minutes straight.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Arivia wrote:
    I don't think Matt's running from anything in Waid's series. He's genuinely trying to break with the past. See ASM #677 for a number of turns on that. That scene with Kirsten had me laughing for ten minutes straight.
    No he is very clearly running

He straight up says "Hey I am forcing myself to be super happy and fun right now because if I don't I will go insane."

I mean go look at the back-up in issue one. He dreams about a burning graveyard full of his loved ones.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I don't have issue 1 : (

Or #4.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The crossover is called Omega Effect. Daredevil gets information on five major crime organizations and goes on the run, Punisher wants to tag along, and Reed Richards sends Spider-Man to make sure they don't kill each other. Running in Avenging Spider-Man, Punisher, and Daredevil.

DD2011011COV_col_02.jpg

Furu on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Ohh fuck.

That actually sounds pretty good...

...if I can afford it.

• Options
    Welp that answers the question of what Matt will do with the F4 patch - why didn't he give it back to Reed already!

That said, I'm in.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Here are the other covers!

AVSM2011006_COV_col_02.jpg
    PUN2011010_Cov_col_02.jpg

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Nah, just sticking with DD for that crossover, just like with this mini one with ASM.

I know Waid mentioned the dark stuff Matt is ignoring in the first issue, then hinted at it again in #7, I just don't want it to happen. We've had next to 15 years of almost non-stop dark, outside of a 6 issue Bob Gale run, you can go more than 10-12 issues before you bring back some forced sadness because "that's what DD is supposed to be" claptrap. Gimme Deuce the Devil Dog again

• Options
    TexiKen get the ASM issue. It is worth like $20 it is that good.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    He can't he's allergic to good comics

• Options
    GET IT

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    Furu wrote:
    Here are the other covers!
    PUN2011010_Cov_col_02.jpg
    Metal Gear?!...

Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    Waid and Rucka are also co-writing the Avenger Spider-Man issue

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Sounds like it's only a one-month crossover again.

And it's in Avenging Spider-Man this time.

I'm totally cool with this. I'll for sure be grabbing all three books. Wonder when it is, though?

Kind of alright I guess? I'll be dropping books in March.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    You know I wonder if the police have ever arrested the dude who makes Frank's t-shirts. That sounds like a pretty slam-dunk accessory to murder thousand counts case.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    Sounds like it's only a one-month crossover again.

And it's in Avenging Spider-Man this time.

I'm totally cool with this. I'll for sure be grabbing all three books. Wonder when it is, though?

April!

• Options
    I need to drop books maybe

But my brain gets caught in lines like maybe the next arc of JL Dark won't suck now that everyone is together!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I'mma drop JL Dark. If I hear good things, I'll revisit it digitally as the price drops.

I hope the Ultron Announcement is tomorrow. Seriously, it's just getting ridiculous. All we know about it so far is that Bryan Hitch doesn't work for Marvel anymore, and that Bendis will be off of Avengers by the time it shows up.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I thought Ultron was part of AvX what with all the shadows in the preview art?

Edit: The problem I'd have is most of my pull is pure quality, so there's just not much to drop.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Arivia wrote:

I don't buy regular Spidey books anymore since OMD. If people like the new stuff now that's fine, and it seems to have been a lot better since Big Time started, I just don't want to support this new direction. Marvel says vote with your wallet, that's what I'll do.

Scarlet Spider is the exception because it's not Peter, it's a great Texas hero who will dominate the sales charts for ten years.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote:
    Arivia wrote:

I don't buy regular Spidey books anymore since OMD. If people like the new stuff now that's fine, and it seems to have been a lot better since Big Time started, I just don't want to support this new direction. Marvel says vote with your wallet, that's what I'll do.

Scarlet Spider is the exception because it's not Peter, it's a great Texas hero who will dominate the sales charts for ten years.

It is not really a Spider-man book. Waid wrote it. Peter confirms that Matt is DD to Kirsten in it. It is basically a Daredevil issue with webs.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh hey the DD/Spider-Man/Punisher crossover sounds great and seems to be right in line with Daredevil's current direction

you are all gooses

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    BLOW ME, BLANK

SINCE YOU CANT RUN A GAME OR GET ME HOOKED ON A SERIES THAT'S SELLING WELL YOU SHOULD GIVE ME SOME FORM OF PLEASURE

• Options
    Hmm ... Okay. My interest is officially piqued.

But anyway, Matt is running or something. I like that he's happy-go-lucky swashbuckling, but that's why I am confident that when he does face these demons it won't be in a way that makes him want to kill himself.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Oh hey the DD/Spider-Man/Punisher crossover sounds great and seems to be right in line with Daredevil's current direction

you are all gooses

considering past direction for daredevil I stand behind my worry as being justified

but the end result looks cool!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Texiken your only hope for getting back into ASM again is if Bendis takes over the book next year and immediately undo's ALL of the Deal. And you know he's chomping at the bits to do just that.

Keep in mind I don't think he should invalidate what's happened since OMD, well at least since Big Time.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I still think they could work something out where this was Ben Reilly all along and Peter was trapped in a Skrull Spaceship or something, that way everyone wins. If all else fails go to Busiek.