As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New, Mighty and Secretly Dark Avenging (and Defending) Thread!

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    OOOOOOHHHH ...

Damn.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Mike Carey: why why fucking why

huntresssig.jpg
    Fuck Jack Lalaine. Magneto needs to start selling his secret for staying that amazing looking for an eighty year old.

Did Rogue get younger, though?

Fuck Jack Lalaine. Magneto needs to start selling his secret for staying that amazing looking for an eighty year old.

Yes. By sucking out someone's soul.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Didn't something happen a few years ago? Like he got his mind transferred into a younger clone body or something?

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Magneto has been deaged a ton of times.

I've been rereading the early issues of Claremont's run, and Magneto begins the run as a toddler due to some Prof X shenanigans in the classic X-Men run.

After that, I think he was either deaged or supercharged/revitalized in the 90s and then again some time after House of M.

this is the what I found on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneto_(comics)
    Magneto later reorganized the Brotherhood, and fought Professor X and the Defenders. Using ancient and advanced alien technology he found near the core of the earth, Magneto created an artificial humanoid he named "Alpha the Ultimate Mutant." Alpha rebelled against his creator and reduced Magneto to infancy.[30] Magneto was then placed in the care of Xavier's former love interest, Professor Moira MacTaggert at Muir Island. At Muir Island, MacTaggert manipulated the infant Magneto's genetic code in an attempt to prevent him from becoming "evil" in adulthood. However, her genetic tampering lost its effect when Magneto reactivated his powers again. Magneto is eventually restored to adulthood, but to his physical prime rather than his older age, when he is found at Muir Island by the alien Shi'ar agent Erik the Red.

apparently this story was in X-Men #104 back in 1977. now, if "physical prime" is about 35, and taking into account the sliding timescale, he's probably physically in his 40s.

edited January 2012
    Arivia wrote:

Yes. By sucking out someone's soul.

Again?

Anyway, I was just trying to make fun. I know Magneto has had his age and physique messed with a bunch (Claremont alone did several things to him).

Crimsondude on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Uru is a metal.

Also, Magneto and Rogue made a good team once.
    I am fairly certain uru metal has been immune to Magneto's tricks in the past

CYpGAPn.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    New-Avengers-25.jpg

yessss

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Fuck yes

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Aw yes motherfuckers

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    now that's what I like to see!

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Iron Fist has the Phoenix Force?!

Fuck, they're going to kill off Danny

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    I read New Avengers on the off chance that Strange or Iron Fist will still do something awesome.

After Defenders, I was afraid they'd be dropped from the team before this crossover, but I cannot tell you how excited I am for this.

edited January 2012
    I was happy when Iron Fist knocked Skaar on his ass in New Avengers. That was nice.

Anyway, in retrospect a white and gold costume should have maybe been a hint, but whatever. Danny is a good choice for the Phoenix Force, he's all enlightened and disciplines and all that stuff. Plus Mystical Phoenix Kung Fu + Mystical Dragon Kung Fu = Super-Awesome.

Solar on
    yeah, I already suspected something was up when he went from a green and yellow suit to a white and gold suit.

It's worth pointing out that this makes a lot of sense, actually, from the perspective of Danny's powers, origins and role as an Immortal Weapon

He can draw upon the infinite chi force of Shou-Lao, a celestial Dragon. In Chinese mythology, the Dragon was symbolic of masculinity and the Phoenix (well, Phoenix equivalent. It's an immortal bird of great power and wisdom) was considered a symbol of femininity. Together they symbolized balance and symbiosis, a Yin/Yang metaphor for inner peace, control and enlightenment.

And you know where the Chinese Phoenix was legendarily considered to live?

In the peaks of the Kunlun mountains.

Danny is going to punch Ultron to death

CYpGAPn.png
    1326825476.jpg
    looks like New Avengers is double shipping in April

CYpGAPn.png
    If Danny keeps the Phoenix Force, which I really hope happens, then that will be hilarious in Defenders.

Everyone else is pretty goddamn powerful and he is the odd man out right now. Post-AvX Danny is the top dog.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited January 2012
    Oh man that would be awesome. Both Danny punching Ultron to death and him suddenly becoming the most powerful dude in the Defenders (right now I actually think he is powerful enough to match Namor or Betty at least in sudden bursts, based on his recent power showings, but he rarely pulls out the stops and can't match them for long).

and yeah I would absolutely love it if Danny kept the Phoenix force.

Solar on
    Maybe we'll end up with multiple phoenixes.

That might actually be pretty interesting, because Quire could get a shard.

HadjiQuest wrote:

Dammit Hadji that is the best idea I have heard that does not involve the words "feminist phenomenology" in years

huntresssig.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Wanda better whisper "No More Phoenix," that would salvage her character. It's just a concept I don't care for after it's initial ideas ran the course back in the 80's. And since Morrison's X-Men run it's still been there in the background, from Phoenix Endsong/Warsong to Korvus' FF7 sword to Hope, let it be dead like Jean. It's kind of a scene stealer to the individual character's personality. For instance, Hope works better as Hope, the young mutant who can trigger new powers, not the person who will eventually host or whatever the Phoenix force.

TexiKen on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I wrote this post in the February of last year:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/18416600#Comment_18416600
    TeaSpoon wrote:
    My theory is that Iron Fist is secretly Jean Grey. My evidence:

She went from
    jeangrey28earth61629000.jpg

to
    jeangreyphoenixendsong5.jpg

Just like Iron Fist.

Seriously, though, didn't Jean Grey also get her white costume in a different dimension? Maybe they went to the same place and there's something about that dimension that turns green into white.

My post was tongue-in-cheek, but I feel justified in saying I CALLED IT!

colbertcalledit.jpg

TeaSpoon on
  • rumblefishrumblefish Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    looks like New Avengers is double shipping in April

I love how ridiculous that cover is. Are Cyclops and Steve crashing through seperate windows while Wolverine dives through a wall?

• RansRans Registered User regular
    looks like he's busting out of the floor

I thought that was a Pat Lee cover when I first saw it because of Cyclops' head, not a Deodato one.

DID SOMEBODY NAME THE ANATOMY KILLER

That cover is like the male version of the "I want the boobs and the butt!" pose.

I want to bounce a dime off Cap and Scott's stomach and see if it just bounces forever, being that rock hard.

huntresssig.jpg
    It's funny, but the Phoenix Force has always been linked to superpowered telekinetics/telepaths. I wonder if Danny getting the Phoenix in him would give him mind powers.

in an alternate universe, the Phoenix Force possessed the empty body of Colossus

it also turned it female though...

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:

I feel like the issue with this is that it spreads extreme power around too much. Even if you give Quire a piece, and Hope a piece, and the Cuckoos a piece, it's still the Phoenix

And Endsong makes a point when it says, "What's a fraction of infinity?"

But they gave a "ghost" of it to Rachel, so who knows.

do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    It's funny, but the Phoenix Force has always been linked to superpowered telekinetics/telepaths. I wonder if Danny getting the Phoenix in him would give him mind powers.

I dunno. The Phoenix always inhabits people who already have telekinetic/telepathic abilities, so I just figure it augments your powers massively. Danny would become stronger, faster, tougher, his Iron Fist would likely hit harder and he'd get flame control powers like the other Phoenixes.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    secavn2010026_dc11.jpg
    Secret Avengers #26
    Rick Remender (W) • Renato Guedes (A)
    Cover By Alan Davis
    Avengers Art Appreciation Variant By TBA
    • Avx Tie-In!
    • Thor Leads A Secret Team Of Avengers On A Suicide Mission To Stop The Phoenix By Any Means Necessary!
    32 Pgs./Rated T+ …$3.99

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    I am down

wonder who the dude in the back is

Hawkeye? He seems like he would be an odd man out in space.

CYpGAPn.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Last major space-trip he took, he took up the Goliath identity to make up for it.

Gonna bet it's Henry Pym.

huntresssig.jpg
    Owenashi wrote:
    Last major space-trip he took, he took up the Goliath identity to make up for it.

Ah yes, because he was upset USAgent was taking his spot on that squad. It's kind of easy to take the legs out from Walker now, huh Clint? You bully.