As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New, Mighty and Secretly Dark Avenging (and Defending) Thread!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    It occurs to me that given that the organization is called Hydra, shouldn't their helmets look at least vaguely, I don't know, reptilian? Some sort of dragon's head touch, nothing too over the top, but aside from being green like Hydra mooks have always been those guys could be from any random generic evil organization. Wait, Hydra is pretty much the definition of a random generic evil organization.
    HYDRA doesn't use reptillian stuff as its iconography. It is all octopi and green
    Marvel_hydra.gif

The reason for the name is the whole "cut off one head and two will take its place" thing, since their core strategy is throw a lot of guys at our problems.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I dunno, I thought part of the charm of the old HYDRA outfits was that they looked so low-rent and mass-produced. I think I'd like the new design better without the goofy looking skulls on their chests. also I think they should have kept the motif of an H on their chests, like with parachute-type straps.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:
    It occurs to me that given that the organization is called Hydra, shouldn't their helmets look at least vaguely, I don't know, reptilian? Some sort of dragon's head touch, nothing too over the top, but aside from being green like Hydra mooks have always been those guys could be from any random generic evil organization. Wait, Hydra is pretty much the definition of a random generic evil organization.
    HYDRA doesn't use reptillian stuff as its iconography.

Well, given that the mythological creature they're named after is usually depicted as a sort of many-headed dragon or reptilian beast, and they're always spouting the "Cut off one head..." thing...I am saying maybe they should?

It would make more sense, given that I am pretty sure octapi only have one head, and they don't grow back two limbs if they lose one or anything. An octapus really doesn't have anything to do with their name or theme at all. An octapus has a lot of limbs, but so does a centipede, and limbs are not heads. Just saying.

Gaslight on
    Gaslight wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:

Well, given that the mythological creature they're named after is usually depicted as a sort of many-headed dragon or reptilian beast, and they're always spouting the "Cut off one head..." thing...I am saying maybe they should?

It would make more sense, given that I am pretty sure octapi only have one head, and they don't grow back two limbs if they lose one or anything. An octapus really doesn't have anything to do with their name or theme at all. An octapus has a lot of limbs, but so does a centipede, and limbs are not heads. Just saying.
    Hydra ( /ˈhaɪdrə/) is a genus of simple fresh-water animal possessing radial symmetry. Hydras are predatory animals belonging to the phylum Cnidaria and the class Hydrozoa
    650px-Hydra001.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
    I dunno, I thought part of the charm of the old HYDRA outfits was that they looked so low-rent and mass-produced. I think I'd like the new design better without the goofy looking skulls on their chests. also I think they should have kept the motif of an H on their chests, like with parachute-type straps.
    I agree they should have kept the H

but Hydra is still meant to be a pretty scary and effective terrorist organization and while their goons shouldn't be wearing top of the line gear they shouldn't be wearing baggy sheets either.

CYpGAPn.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:

Hydra ( /ˈhaɪdrə/) is a genus of simple fresh-water animal possessing radial symmetry. Hydras are predatory animals belonging to the phylum Cnidaria and the class Hydrozoa
    650px-Hydra001.jpg

Which are...still not octapi. So I don't really see what that has to do with anything?

Really the octapus motif has nothing to do with anything, though I grant the microscopic hydra organism would make for an even lamer one. So it goes Mythological hydra beast > Octapus > Microorganism.

Gaslight on
    Yeah but they have tentacles

most octopi don't have skulls for faces either

CYpGAPn.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Not really a fan of the new designs. The skull and ribbing feel really tacked on.

That said, I'd like to see it interpreted by a different artist, before passing judgement.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:

Hydra, Kobra, Cobra...

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    detail.jpg

Really nice cover.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Opena is so good at arting

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Kinda funny that the last two big Marvel events, Siege and Fear Itself, were Thor-centric. Now A vs. X-men seems to be having him as a main player but I guess it makes sense with his power level.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote:
    Kinda funny that the last two big Marvel events, Siege and Fear Itself, were Thor-centric. Now A vs. X-men seems to be having him as a main player but I guess it makes sense with his power level.

As an aside (sort of) I feel that Fear Itself would have been much, much better as a Thor arc or a small event like Spider-Island where the main stuff went down in Thor with a couple of other books getting involved. Odin's brother, the God of Fear, comes back with his chosen warriors (who are all possessed Thor villains, in this version) and Thor has to sacrifice himself to defeat them while Odin gets pissy.

The bits with Iron Man, and Sin and America under Siege all that just felt so superfluous. They weren't necessary, the whole thing could have been world threatening while limited to the pages of Thor.

Solar wrote:
    wirehead26 wrote:

As an aside (sort of) I feel that Fear Itself would have been much, much better as a Thor arc or a small event like Spider-Island where the main stuff went down in Thor with a couple of other books getting involved. Odin's brother, the God of Fear, comes back with his chosen warriors (who are all possessed Thor villains, in this version) and Thor has to sacrifice himself to defeat them while Odin gets pissy.

The bits with Iron Man, and Sin and America under Siege all that just felt so superfluous. They weren't necessary, the whole thing could have been world threatening while limited to the pages of Thor.

Fraction has said in interviews that the story started out as a crossover between IIM and Thor only and it should have stayed that way. I mean the event did spawn some good stuff out of it and it started out OK but it just spinned out of control by the end.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Would you guys go as far as to blame its failings on editorial pushing for it to be a line-wide?

HadjiQuest wrote:
    Would you guys go as far as to blame its failings on editorial pushing for it to be a line-wide?

In this case yes. Siege worked IMO because of it's short length and minimal tie-ins. Fear Itself did not do the the over-abundance of tie-ins and Fraction forcing the main story into 7 issues instead of a dozen or so he would have had in IIM and Thor. Imagine how great the final battle would have been stretched out into two issues?

HadjiQuest wrote:

I'd say that Fear Itself was too long, it's tie-ins were mostly shit and just got in the way, and that the core story of Thor fighting the Serpent, which could have been great, was dragged out because we had stuff like the Mighty getting all those weapons, the Nazi mechs which basically came out of nowhere, and so on.

That this was a Thor story with other bits tacked on is evident. It was a really bad event choice, probably the worst they have done for years (at least Civil War resulted in the setting moving forward and new interesting places for the characters, as well as being the first part of the Civil War/Secret Invasion/Siege trilogy), because it simply didn't need all those other elements, which then felt pretty pointless.

edited February 2012
    I had no problem with the other heroes and villains getting the power boost via Hammers. The problem was that story detail still could have been told in the pages of IIM and Thor and not an "event" book

If Marvel insisted that the story be made bigger they should have done it like Spider-Island with a few one-shots and 3 issue minis.

wirehead26 on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I'm seeing Phoenix all over these covers, and Scarlet Witch is just about back in the game. If the conclusion ends up being Phoenix (whoever it may be) vs Wanda, I'm not sure who I'll side with.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    Immortal Iron Phoenix, Thor and Scarlet Witch beat up Hope together

everyone is happy

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Danny and Thor grab a beer, become friends and move in across the hall from Pete and Johnny

Bendis to write Avengers: Dormitory!
    The book is kicked off with a Marvel U spanning Toga Party-event!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote:
    Danny and Thor grab a beer, become friends and move in across the hall from Pete and Johnny

Bendis to write Avengers: Dormitory!
    The book is kicked off with a Marvel U spanning Toga Party-event entitled Beer Itself!

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, where did Hercules run off to? I don't think I've even seen him on AvX stuff, that I can remember at least.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    Speaking of which, where did Hercules run off to? I don't think I've even seen him on AvX stuff, that I can remember at least.

He's teaching the kids of Avengers Academy how to be men.

Even the girls.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I hope he shows them the Hercules Pyramid of Greatness

TexiKen wrote:

He's teaching the kids of Avengers Academy how to be men.

Even the girls.

OK now I have to keep up with Academy again.

haha, Hercules being all "behold, the majestic form of true manliness!" is the best thing

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    ac2de3b9467b4baf831f406ecf9af8d0.jpg
    SECRET AVENGERS #27
    RICK REMENDER (w) • RENATO GUEDES (A)
    Cover by ALAN DAVIS
    • AVX TIE-IN!
    • Captain Marvel reborn to unite all Kree!
    • Captain Marvel, The Protector and Ms. Marvel vs The Avengers!
    • Who is Minister Marvel and why has he drawn the Phoenix to the Kree homeworld?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Firstly

YAY PROTECTOR DOING STUFF!!!!!!

Secondly

Captain Marvel is back huh? Well the Phoenix does resurrect people. Not sure how I feel about that, the dude had a good ending and seems like he was better as an example to live up to than he really was a character. That said, a) I trust Remender to do a good job, b) anything that focuses on the whole Captain Marvel/Ms Marvel/Protector area of things is great, and b) I see no reason why Captain Marvl coming back could be inherently a bad thing.

So yeah

Optimistic about that, I think.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Whoa dang

Sweet

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited February 2012
    Also his costume is white and gold

I think we might see a "Phoenix Team" type thing where some heroes are powered up by the Phoenix and wear the white and gold costume to show it.

And they do stuff I dunno. Maybe they beat up the Avengers and the X-Men or something

That wouldn't be uncool though. Somebody had the idea of multiple Phoenix shards, that would be fun.

Solar on
    Remender is like "Wooo I'm on an Avengers book and I'm gonna make it awesome and epic and none of you fools are gonna stop me!!!"

Basically

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I have to go change my pants now.

Thx.

S'cool

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Right after Ronan revived Supremor, too.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:

Hydra, Kobra, Cobra...

Cobra is Hydra with its numbers filed off.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    There's a good reason for that since Cobra was originally going to be HYDRA back when GI Joe was planned to be a SHIELD franchise thing

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Also his costume is white and gold
    No, it's just washed out from the yellow filter.

Anyway, I find it appropriate that this issue will be one of my last (that month's comics, anyway) for a while.