As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New, Mighty and Secretly Dark Avenging (and Defending) Thread!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hell yes Remender you make a new Captain Marvel

god I am getting so excited for AvX

CYpGAPn.png
    Well those colors are actually the Kree military colors

so probably?

CYpGAPn.png
    1328647157.jpg
    AVENGERS VS X-MEN #3-4 (of 12)
    ED BRUBAKER (W)
    JOHN ROMITA JR (a)
    Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    Variant Cover by SARA PICHELLI

The Avengers and the X-Men scour the Earth searching for the host of the Phoenix!
    Hope takes matters into her own hands!
    And Captain America and Wolverine come to bitter blows!

So it looks like Hope says FUCK ALL Y'ALL and runs away? Or some random schmuck is the Phoenix's host?

and I was really hoping Cap and Wolverine wouldn't have the predictable fight where Wolverine goes back to the X-Men. Hopefully they just fight a bit and then resolve things.

CYpGAPn.png
    AND FINALLY:
    1328727918.jpg

Highlights of the CBR Piece:
    "It isn't just the movie, it's a completely new story with completely different stakes," the writer said. According to Bendis, "Avengers Assemble" will also slightly spin out of "Avengers vs. X-Men." "We have an opportunity to debut something that's completely new in this series that Marvel is going to debut in 'AvX' and one of the places I'll end up in for my post-Avengers career."

In terms of story, Bendis plans to get things kicked off right away with a new Zodiac. "Who they are and how they got their powers and what their agenda is starts to formulate over issue one," he said. "Over the course of reveals … it reveals themselves as huge threats to the Avengers. They are Thor level villains. To watch Iron Man and Thor really challenge themselves on a physical level and challenge Iron Man on a mental level was a lot of fun."

Bagley also spoke to the design of the new characters. "Doing the Zodiac, it was what they were based on. … Immediately, images jump to your mind. … I came up with some designs for a military look and Brian wanted something less like that, so I strapped on a Legion of Superheroes look." According to Bagley, the costumes relate to the zodiac sign each villain is named after.

In terms of guest stars, Bendis said more than just the "movie team" shows up in the first issue and there will be other guest appearance as the series goes on. "We're getting a brand new Avengers Tower in the first issue," he said. "We'll be getting some very exciting guest stars and cameos."

CYpGAPn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i
    love
    Zodiac

I am incredibly okay with a team of powerful super villains that are themed after animals

CYpGAPn.png
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Zodiac is just one of those classic groups to oppose the Avengers. Kind of like the Masters of Evil. It's encouraging to see that kind of respect for the mythos.

This thread is seriously tempting me to dip my toe back into the Marvel waters. What's the best Avengers book for someone who likes standard iconic super hero fare?

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Bendis says that his other Post-Avengers stuff will be spinning out of AvX?

Bendis on a new, teen version of Nova?

Maaaaan, that would be aces.

HadjiQuest wrote:
    Bendis says that his other Post-Avengers stuff will be spinning out of AvX?

Bendis on a new, teen version of Nova?

Maaaaan, that would be aces.
    Yeah.

Yeah it would.

But it seems like Bendis is going Avengers Prime style for Avengers Assemble, which is great since Prime was the best thing he has written in a while.

CYpGAPn.png
    Yeah, Prime was fantastic. I was surprised that he handled Asgard so well in it, but it was really light hearted and great fun.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Hey, so Secret Avengers was a lot of fun. I bought it, figuring that I'd drop it afterward and switch to TPBs if I liked it.

But, man. That was good stuff, and I think I'm going to have to buy it monthly now. There was just so much fun stuff in it.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Also his costume is white and gold
    No, it's just washed out from the yellow filter.

Anyway, I find it appropriate that this issue will be one of my last (that month's comics, anyway) for a while.

Dropping your monthlies?

huntresssig.jpg
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    Hey, so Secret Avengers was a lot of fun. I bought it, figuring that I'd drop it afterward and switch to TPBs if I liked it.

But, man. That was good stuff, and I think I'm going to have to buy it monthly now. There was just so much fun stuff in it.

Yeah, it was a great book all over. I liked the .1 quite a lot, too, but it was great seeing it really dive into the team book and Gabriel Hardman's art is solid as always.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    Munch wrote:

Yeah I really enjoyed it!

Captain Britain and Beast were hilarious and it is full of Remender's crazy fun Marvel Universe antics.

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Munch wrote:

Yeah I really enjoyed it!

Captain Britain and Beast were hilarious and it is full of Remender's crazy fun Marvel Universe antics.

Yep, it definitely lived up to my expectations and I am very excited about seeing what happens next!

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Ugh, I think all the books tieing into AvX will be double shipping every month during the event. Wolverine and The X-Men is double shipping both in april and may for sure.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Ugh, I think all the books tieing into AvX will be double shipping every month during the event. Wolverine and The X-Men is double shipping both in april and may for sure.
    Hey Marvel, you know what I like? FOOD.

huntresssig.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Arivia wrote:
    Solar wrote:

Anyway, I find it appropriate that this issue will be one of my last (that month's comics, anyway) for a while.

Dropping your monthlies?

Moving cross-country, so basically yes.

Crimsondude on
    Arivia wrote:

I don't need food when I've got comics

For, you know, three to four weeks

Then I don't need anything

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm going to try one or two of the tie ins, but if they read like Secret Invasion's (ie pointless filler that doesn't address key things about the story), I'm just going to stick with the main AvX book. This constant double shipping seems perfect to decompress the hell out of books again.

Secret Avengers at least seems to be a major part of the story

and Versus is being billed as wall-to-wall fight scenes that can easily be skipped by Marvel itself

CYpGAPn.png
    I'm pretty excited by some of the crossovers (New Avengers, Secret Avengers), cautiously optimistic about others (I don't know what will be happening in plain Avengers yet, for example), and worried that some will be really redundant (WatXM, Uncanny).

Does that cover everything but Vs? Which other X-Books will be in on this?

We know Legacy does and I am pretty sure Incredible Hulk will since Aaron is one of the main guys behind AvX and the Banner arc of Inc. Hulk is wrapping up mid-event

CYpGAPn.png
    Arivia wrote:
    Solar wrote:

Dropping your monthlies?

Moving cross-country, so basically yes.

Cool!

huntresssig.jpg
    Solar wrote:
    Arivia wrote:

It just frustrates me as someone with a limited budget. Like the only way all these February double-ships aren't causing issues is because it's happening in an extra week, and my budget is luckily based on a span of weeks, not a particular month.

huntresssig.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Huh, so I noticed Bendis pens the first issue, Aaron the second, and Brubaker the third and fourth of A vs. X-men. Wonder how Fraction and Hickman will be divided?

Speaking of Hickman he better find some way to put S.H.I.E.L.D. into this.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Arivia wrote:
    Solar wrote:
    Arivia wrote:

It just frustrates me as someone with a limited budget. Like the only way all these February double-ships aren't causing issues is because it's happening in an extra week, and my budget is luckily based on a span of weeks, not a particular month.

Yeah I can definitely see why it would cause issues. Money is an issue, comics aint cheap and when they double ship your pull list can jump up by half a dozen again or more, which is quite a bit of cash.

You should trade wait more stuff, like me

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Has anything really been done with Noh-Varr since he became Protector, besides the occasional panel in Avengers? He kind of got forgotten about when Osborn made his Dark Avengers, and now again with Protector.

Also, it will probably never happen with new developments to the character, but I really want that Captain Marvel to be Gravity, like he was meant to after Beyond!

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Furu wrote:
    There's a good reason for that since Cobra was originally going to be HYDRA back when GI Joe was planned to be a SHIELD franchise thing

I thought Hasbro went to Marvel to flesh out their G.I. Joe franchise? That's why Baroness is based on Madame Hydra.

Man I really want that alternate cover for Round 3

but my shop doesn't really stock alternates and it'd be $$$ and blaaah

huntresssig.jpg
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    I wish Bendis would just give the Avengers franchise over to someone else instead of releasing new books that aren't any good after their first or second arcs.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    well he is!

7656367.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I wish Bendis would just give the Avengers franchise over to someone else instead of releasing new books that aren't any good after their first or second arcs.

:^:

Yeah

Avengers Assemble is supposedly going to be its own little thing. Basically a Greatest Hits type thing.

Dude is giving up New Avengers and Avengers.

CYpGAPn.png
    I hope they slide Hickman over there once "Forever" finishes.

huntresssig.jpg
    I think he is a smart bet for the main book. They have said that the next writer has already been chosen and is working on it so it is probably someone working at Marvel right now.

Hickman, Waid or Slott seem candidates to me.

CYpGAPn.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I think this arc with Osborn is pretty good. Art's shit and they need to explain why Visions here but its pretty good and isn't he co-writing XvA?

Quire.jpg
    He is one of the two plotters for AvX, along with Jason Aaron, and is writing 3 or 4 of the issues

CYpGAPn.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah and there is good buzz about that. So there is a single arc of avengers that sucked and that was a tie-in. I know new avengers hasn't been going as well but the hate seems a little overdone.

Quire.jpg