As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol:The **** offspring of Ronald Reagan and an **** American Ninja !!!

• Options
    Mister_PenguinMister_Penguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man. I'm having the toughest time deciding whether or not to buy the game. On one hand, I'm usually pretty forgiving of flaws in games (Hell, I actively enjoyed wandering prefabspace in ME1.) , and the premise and execution of the plot sound like ultrasex. On the other hand, I'm a bit concerned about some of the stuff regarding how the game plays out in terms of mechanical bullshit [Eg, a bit of a bait and switch with forced battles. I wasn't expecting it to have MGS-esque bossfights from the previews. I was kinda thinking I could "ghost" it for a lot of the game.] I tend to get a little peeved if I spec a dude for one thing, and then the game goes "No. Eat a dick. Actually several."

I'm especially nervy considering it's still 60.

Mister_Penguin on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You could rent it like a normal person. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    Mister_PenguinMister_Penguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was considering renting, but my summer hometown is small and recreational opportunities consist primarily of intercourse with varied woodland creatures. My video store's selection is not terribly up to date. That might be an indicator that I should invest in a gamefly account, I guess.

Mister_Penguin on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was considering renting, but my summer hometown is small and recreational opportunities consist primarily of intercourse with varied woodland creatures. My video store's selection is not terribly up to date. That might be an indicator that I should invest in a gamefly account, I guess.

And if you end up liking it, you can get it for like $20 off!

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game needs a better map system. I just wasted a ton of money finding out where a hidden room was and then missing it completely.

edit: Oh whee, a defend the target mission. Great.

double edit: Aaaaand they've checkpointed me to a point past where I have ample time to set traps. I'm basically screwed.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    double edit: Aaaaand they've checkpointed me to a point past where I have ample time to set traps. I'm basically screwed.
    In case you don't know, the game does make an automatic auto-save at the safehouse. So you're not completely screwed.

You just have to... well... do the whole mission all over again. :?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nah, I ended up finally killing all of them, only for it to bug out and not load any more guys but not complete the mission.

Restarted from that checkpoint yet again and finally did it. Turns out Deus Vult really doesn't like fire.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game needs a better map system. I just wasted a ton of money finding out where a hidden room was and then missing it completely.

edit: Oh whee, a defend the target mission. Great.

You actually had the buy the intel for that secret room to be openable. It took me restarting the level 3 times to realize that

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No, I'm pretty sure I bought it. Either way, now I'm doing the Museum. Way to alert everyone on a whim, game.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    No, I'm pretty sure I bought it. Either way, now I'm doing the Museum. Way to alert everyone on a whim, game.
    Since we're talking about the game alerting players, remember to look up. Sometimes you have to make an important choice by going through a door and you'll only know which choice you're actually making by looking at the large sign/screen/whatever hanging above the doors in question.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The worst part about the SMGs is that you will never hit anything more than five feet away from you, and if you do, you will do shit damage

They are a worthless weapon as long as the shotgun exists
    SMGs will clear a room far faster than the shotgun. They'll also get your kill count up a lot more efficiently than "shotgun + crotch stomp".

The trick is knowing what stats to focus on with what guns. It's counter intuitive, but with SMGs you should basically ignore damage in favor of accuracy.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Without accuracy you will never ever ever ever hit anyone with the SMGs ever

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure that it's possible to get through some areas unseen without Shadow Operative. Exiting the G22 warehouse comes to mind. I'm also bad, though, so I might be wrong. I could also be underestimating the effect good stealth armour has on your visibility.

I feel like you get found out at the G22 warehouse regardless of what you do. I made it through with tranqs and karate chops and not one guard turned yellow and albatross still called me.

Also i didn't know there where multiple servers to bug in that mission the first time but then the second time when i bugged them all i don't think it really affected anything significant

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure that it's possible to get through some areas unseen without Shadow Operative. Exiting the G22 warehouse comes to mind. I'm also bad, though, so I might be wrong. I could also be underestimating the effect good stealth armour has on your visibility.

I feel like you get found out at the G22 warehouse regardless of what you do. I made it through with tranqs and karate chops and not one guard turned yellow and albatross still called me.

Also i didn't know there where multiple servers to bug in that mission the first time but then the second time when i bugged them all i don't think it really affected anything significant

If you bug all of them
    You can choose to bluff Albatross and only turn off most of the bugs, leaving one on. So Albatross is totally happy, and you still get unhindered access to the servers.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The worst part about the SMGs is that you will never hit anything more than five feet away from you, and if you do, you will do shit damage

They are a worthless weapon as long as the shotgun exists
    SMGs will clear a room far faster than the shotgun. They'll also get your kill count up a lot more efficiently than "shotgun + crotch stomp".

The trick is knowing what stats to focus on with what guns. It's counter intuitive, but with SMGs you should basically ignore damage in favor of accuracy.

lies.

That's RPG talk!

it reminds me of Deadliest Warrior: Al Capone vs Jesse James

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    dowondowon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alpha Protocol has sold 700,000 units
    Alpha Protocol and Iron Man 2 sales results

In their latest fiscal report, Sega revealed the sales results for two of their recent published titles, Alpha Protocol and Iron Man 2.

Alpha Protocol was released for the PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 in Europe on May 28th and North America on June 1st. As of June 30th, the role-playing game has sold 700,000 units.

Iron Man 2 fared much better. Since its release in early May, the superhero movie tie-in sold 1.12 million units as of the end of June across Europe and North American combined on Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

dowon on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And yet no sequel?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    dowon wrote: »
    Alpha Protocol has sold 700,000 units
    Alpha Protocol and Iron Man 2 sales results

In their latest fiscal report, Sega revealed the sales results for two of their recent published titles, Alpha Protocol and Iron Man 2.

Alpha Protocol was released for the PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 in Europe on May 28th and North America on June 1st. As of June 30th, the role-playing game has sold 700,000 units.

Iron Man 2 fared much better. Since its release in early May, the superhero movie tie-in sold 1.12 million units as of the end of June across Europe and North American combined on Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

...is that good or bad? I mean, it was never going to be a million-seller, and the lack of promotion (and budget release on PC in the UK) seems to indicate that SEGA weren't pushing for massive sales anyway. Would be interesting to see European numbers as well, as I think it might have done comaparatively better there.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    And yet no sequel?

"Nah, bro. Metacritic is where it's at. No high 80s, no sequel."

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    700K? That's actually pretty darn good. The way everyone was whining about it, they were making it sound like Blur's 30 something thousand, after spending millions on advertising alone.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This game is so awesome. I finished Russia and I'm nearing the end of Rome.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

And you were doubtful...

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kind of surprised by how good the sales were for AP, given it being a hugely niche low advertising title. Sega is dumb more at 11.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this price cut yet? I want to play this bad but not for more than $20 bucks.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

And you were doubtful...

I know! It's just the reviews were really off-putting, and none of my friends played the game. So I was very cautious... For no reason it looks like.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If you got through Russia, and still think it's awesome, the only potential area that might sour you now is some of the bullshit in the last level. The boss fight, and mission before it in Moscow are the biggest complaints of people that were able to get through Saudi

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And yet no sequel?

And this is an actual thing.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    For comparison, while I was trying to find NWN2 sales numbers, according to this article Vampires: colons only sold 1/10th of that when Troika closed
    http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/EEpAZpklyFCxoEqUsh.php

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alpha Protocol doesn't compare well to either title sale wise since it is multiplatform as opposed to PC only.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Antithesis wrote: »
    And yet no sequel?

And this is an actual thing.

Well years ago it leaked out that a publisher was going to link payments with review scores. The plan was killed and I haven't heard of it since, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

It could certainly be done. All you'd have to do is start it as a bonus. Then make the bonus bigger, but say to do that the guaranteed pay will have to shrink. If you make the bonus slice large enough it will happen. At least on big titles. Then eventually it could become an industry standard.

Hopefully though both sides would see that the plan would hurt everyone in the long run and it would fail. But that wouldn't stop Activision as we've seen with the Infinity Ward thing.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm closing in on the end of this game. And I'd really like to know exactly WHAT game all the game reviewers that gave these mediocre reviews were playing, because it certainly couldn't be this one. I'd rank this above Mass Effect 1, and I fucking LOVE Mass Effect 1.

It's breaking my heart every step I take towards the end knowing there won't be a sequel. This game feels like it has the most potential of any RPG I've played in years.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'm closing in on the end of this game. And I'd really like to know exactly WHAT game all the game reviewers that gave these mediocre reviews were playing, because it certainly couldn't be this one. I'd rank this above Mass Effect 1, and I fucking LOVE Mass Effect 1.

It's breaking my heart every step I take towards the end knowing there won't be a sequel. This game feels like it has the most potential of any RPG I've played in years.

You know. There's two ways to see this:

- Game was rated too low in comparison to other WRPGS like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 1.

- Game was rated just in the right range and other games are rated too high in comparison.

Conclusion?

FUCK rating systems. Fuck them sooooo hard. Sadly, there is no alternative. :(

C2B on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The thing that elevates this game in comparison to say, Bioware RPGS is that:

Take for instance Commander Shepard. You don't like someone, you can be a jerk to them.
    Mike however can choose to be a jerk, or an asshole, or a smarmy prick, or a douchebag, or a dick, or a... etc

Not only do you have a wealth of different jerk options when dealing with people, about halfway through it hit me, there is no NICE option in this game, because even if you choose a "nice" or "sincere" option, in reality Mike is just being manipulative and saying what that person wants to hear so he can gain their trust to advance his own goals. The nice options are just you being an even BIGGER dick. It's fucking awesome.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey now, Professional Mike isn't always a dick.

I'm not quite sure I would go as far as saying that he's a nice Mike, but he's not a dick all the time.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it's fairer to say that there's not so much "goodguy" or "evilguy" options with the dialogue. Thorton's just accomplishing his mission, he doesn't go out of his way to be nice to people or to act like a jerk. It's just the style of character he has at the time, or sometimes, a means to an end in itself. If he's really trying to tick someone off, it's not just to be a jerk, it's because he wants them angry.

It helps that his VA carries the whole thing off so well. That's another complaint I don't get, that his voice acting was dull and emotionless. It's not, he just doesn't pantomime at the freaking screen all the time. There's no reason to go shouting and screaming when he can project his anger simply by keeping his voice low and even.

subedii on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    I think it's fairer to say that there's not so much "goodguy" or "evilguy" options with the dialogue. Thorton's just accomplishing his mission, he doesn't go out of his way to be nice to people or to act like a jerk. It's just the style of character he has at the time, or sometimes, a means to an end in itself. If he's really trying to tick someone off, it's not just to be a jerk, it's because he wants them angry.

It helps that his VA carries the whole thing off so well. That's another complaint I don't get, that his voice acting was dull and emotionless. It's not, he just doesn't pantomime at the freaking screen all the time. There's no reason to go shouting and screaming when he can project his anger simply by keeping his voice low and even.

As you're told in your intial briefing: "You weren't chosen for this role because you're a people person - you were chosen because you are good at manipulating people".

Most of all, I'm impressed that at least in the end section, the game doesn't make assumptions about your intent. You can bullshit all you want, lie to other characters, and nothing is actually assumed about your personality until you act.

As for the VA - I just liked him simply because he was interesting to listen to. Lines felt like they were being acted, rather than read off a page. The 'suave' options did all too often make me feel like punching Thornton, but I suspect they were designed that way for entertainment value.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sometimes, suave isn't too facepunchy smarmy. Like when Madison offers to bandage you, and you're all like "Man, I forgot what it's like not to be shot at".

But everything else is pepper spray bad.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    700000 total, or Euro only?

Dammit. We need a sequel.

Sheep on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    700000 total, or Euro only?

Dammit. We need a sequel.

Total I believe.

subedii on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    If you got through Russia, and still think it's awesome, the only potential area that might sour you now is some of the bullshit in the last level. The boss fight, and mission before it in Moscow are the biggest complaints of people that were able to get through Saudi

Something whined about by whiners.

Shit is easy, don't believe them.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
This discussion has been closed.