As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPad] games: Your call dropped, use new thread

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey you weeaboos: that PSP jrpg Crimsongem Saga is out for $9.99.

I hesitantly bought it (10 whole united states dollars! My word!), but my curiosity got the better of me.

I hope Square is paying attention. $9.99 is the price ceiling for PSP ports, okay?

desc on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well, how is it?
    i was kind of interested in it until i found out there's no ipad version

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am enraged—someone has toppled me from the no. 1 position on the Bit Pilot global leaderboards. :( Now I need to get back into the game and try to reclaim the throne, though I never needed much prodding, as the music is so badass I'll always pick it up now and again.

I have such a ginormous iPhone game backlog, but for some reason it doesn't bug me as much as with a more traditional game console. I guess the low cost of entry per game makes me feel like I'm still getting my money's worth, even if I don't really finish many of the (admittedly still fairly short) games. Shining Force is going to take me forever, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    also there was an update for that MMO Legends something
    apparently it's a full blown game, just you have to pay for the rest of it

also my fucking dagger bird sucks and it is so unfair how strong the enchanter is

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well, how is it?
    i was kind of interested in it until i found out there's no ipad version

Now that I'm playing it, it's actually pretty good so far. I don't really play JRPGs much, but visually it looks great on the 3GS screen. Hand drawn sprites and paint-y backgrounds. You see the monsters wandering around the map, touch them and it goes to your typical turn-based jrpg combat, your dude on one side and the enemies lined up on the other.

Also, not to play to the animu stereotypes, but ... it's not an incessant barrage of neon colors and floating cats and panty shots or anything. The main character is a little twerp, but compared to the amnesiac spiky hair swordsmen I've seen in other games, this is all nicely muted and straightforward.

So, I'm not feeling like I wasted the $10. Supposed to have 30 hours of gameplay and the visuals are really nice. I'd recommend it for people are up for a by-the-numbers jrpg.

edit: I hopped on the legends mmo after updating. It's not exactly an open world, you run around small areas and portal into dungeons as far as I could tell. It looks like it's pretty much still the same game.

desc on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah it's the same game
    i was just surprised when i went on their forums people are comparing the relative merits of claws vs. talons vs. daggers based on respective character build etc.

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Apparently Civilization: Revolution is free at the moment. Get it while it lasts.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Today I've grabbed:

Osmos - $2.99
    Helsing's Fire- $0.99

and

Civ Rev - $FREE

I mention this, because I RECOMMEND them. Well worth it!

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    so i downloaded this game Arena 9 HD
    i haven't played it yet but i read the tutorial and it looks cool and also i like the music

and it has online! so we can play in this thread

it's ike the FF9 card game but with only 4 directions, it has rules that make sense, and a time limit

yeah this is hella fun and man do i love buying packs (you don't have to spend money, just beat up the CPU or people online)
    my name is brt on the online thing let's play this game together (i just won my first game against the computer woo)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice one BRT, will check it out.

Did anyone download and try out Haypi Kingdoms? some (currently) free to download mmo type thing that I haven't had a chance to play yet.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i remember trying haypi kingdoms on my ipod
    it was kind of cramped there

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    fuuuck
    you have to pay money for new rank passes

welp kind of done w/ this game

edit: it says you can rank up just using exp/ap in the app description, though. not sure what's goin on

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Civ is free for a while now it seems.

I'm gonna see if it is fun, but it has got the ugliest screenshots of almost any iPhone game so I wouldn't have bought it in a million years.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    eobet wrote: »
    Civ is free for a while now it seems.

I'm gonna see if it is fun, but it has got the ugliest screenshots of almost any iPhone game so I wouldn't have bought it in a million years.

Good to hear Civ Rev is still free, I was away most of the weekend. But it's the iPhone version, right? Not the iPad version?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I nabbed the MiTube app before it got pulled. Hah. Download YouTube vids :)

I got Starwars Cantina over the weekend. Pretty well-done game, having fun with it.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    New footage of Cave's latest iPhone endeavour! I freaking love the iPhone.

HYPER CANNON!!!

I don't really know my Cave all that well, but this is apparently a port of DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu ... ?

And yes, Civ Revo is still 100 percent free for now! I'm not really a Civ fan, but I still bought it when it was $2.99 and still felt like I was getting a great deal, so getting it for Free.99 is even better.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Double-post, but: Why have I never heard of Epic Win until now? Saw this on GAF and it blew my mind: To-Do App + RPG =

Epic Win

38985_131927146849568_120167801358836_150636_5864157_n.jpg

Apparently it's a two-man project, with the men in question having worked on, respectively, LittleBigPlanet and MiniSquadron. I'm currently using Task Pro to track my homework and schedule for grad school, but I'm totally switching over to this when it comes out. :lol:

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I will be buying Epic Win when it comes out even if I don't use it that much. Its a very fluff app but I'd like to support Rex Box as he did a project with us this year.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ahhhhhh fuck me
    you can buy rank passes with AP, they're farther on the list

i spent all my AP on basic packs D:

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Osmosis is fucking awesome.

That is all

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Osmos

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It is pretty sweet but they go on my list of developers that need to be punched in the cock for makgin seperate releases for ipad and iphone. I already own the game so I'm not going to buy it again in order to play it on the move, it's not like I'm going from a Playstation to a DS,

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ok i ranked up
    this game is pretty fun

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ok i ranked up
    this game is pretty fun

Your online opponents are random, would prefer it if you could challenge friends. ( can you? am I blind?)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i don't think you can, yeah
    also there's a mail icon that apparently does nothing?

w/e it's still fun

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    wetflamewetflame Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have been obsessively checking the app store each day for the last week waiting for Epic Win and The Incident to get released. Both are with Apple to be approved. Both will be mine as soon as they appear.

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I've been playing Dungeon Core a lot lately. They released an update that made the art all stupid-looking, but it's a lot more balanced since you get 250 gold and an opportunity to shop before you start. Getting a perfect early on isn't so vital to making progress now! Oh and you can save between floors for X00 gold (X being the level).

Final Fantasy Tactics next month?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    wetflame wrote: »
    I have been obsessively checking the app store each day for the last week waiting for Epic Win and The Incident to get released. Both are with Apple to be approved. Both will be mine as soon as they appear.

The epic win site says aug 19th

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Adda wrote: »

It does, but then it also says it's been submitted to Apple about 6 days ago. I just assumed they were releasing it early. Is the developer going to hold back the release until the 19th then?

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Adda wrote: »

It does, but then it also says it's been submitted to Apple about 6 days ago. I just assumed they were releasing it early. Is the developer going to hold back the release until the 19th then?

Apple lets you choose when you release your app to the store and I think they will have a PR drive set up for this week so I reckon they will release it on the 19th even if it gets approved early.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Bah. Well, I can still check for The Incident, which looks like a lot of fun. I'll just have to start being productive a week on Thursday instead!

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Civ Revolutions is no longer free, but it is still a princely 99 cents. Still a hell of a bargain.
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Final Fantasy Tactics next month?

God, I hope so. Love the crap out of that game, and I think I'm finally going to give up the fight on my PSP, and FFT is one of the few games I'm still holding onto the system for. I just can't handle juggling three handhelds at once. It sucks getting older. :(

Lunker on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Civ Revolutions is like opposite Narnia. You spend a few moments in the game, and in the real world THE WHOLE DAY HAS PASSED.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I'm playing we rule and kind of throwing new buildings down as I level up. Is there any point to this, or is it just "make your kingdom bigger! log in ever few hours to harvest your shit!"

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    it kills time + you can make a kingdom and whatever

don't you have time to kill?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah but I hoped there's be more to it. Also, are all the buildings just things that sit there and then give you coins after a while?

I guess I'm just not seeing much point.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well, each building will add a different type of villager

but yeah there's not much to it

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    this would be my first civ game, and i finally got around to building guys and stuff. i've played the first mission (conquer barbarian cities, which then turns into take out 4 enemy capitals?) a dozen times, restarting every time i pick-up something new/get destroyed

1. how are resources done? i just set most of my cities to be balanced. build granary to produce more food per turn right?
    2. i (think) i formed armies with my legions, who then get slaughtered by archers when i try to take out cities, what's the proper counter to that?
    3. i just stuck with genghis khan and his despotism throughout the game so far, ignoring democracy since i can't go to war wtf?
    4. as far as research, i usually go after military type stuff first

or if someone can point me to a guide that will hand my hand through the first mission or 2, that would work as well. i did find/look at the official manual which helped in getting acquainted to the gameplay

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My long wait is half-over, The Incident was released yesterday. It's lovely. Retro-style art and music, easy to pick up and a lot of fun. As one of the quotes on the site says, it's like Katamari Damacy mixed with Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. £1.19/$1.99, universal app with more updates already planned.

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My long wait is half-over, The Incident was released yesterday. It's lovely. Retro-style art and music, easy to pick up and a lot of fun. As one of the quotes on the site says, it's like Katamari Damacy mixed with Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. £1.19/$1.99, universal app with more updates already planned.

Awesome! thanks for the heads up, I am a whore for 8-bit retro goodness.

Venkman90 on