As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Even just looking at the props and textures leaves me a bit in awe. Combined with the amazingly fun gameplay it's just... amazing. Best new game I've played in years.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    Oh ahahaha there we go

Yes

Did everything explode when the door broke?

• Options
    can you break down weak walls with thrown heavy objects, ala the other upgrade near the heavy lifting one?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    The giant bomb guys seem to think all the regular gameplay mechanics are fairly clunky but they're way more critical (being critics, such a shock) of games than I am. Like they've talked about how dated Deus Ex 1's gameplay is, and while I can intellectually see that, it's still a super fun game for me. Definitely looking forward to seeing how the game plays for myself.

Well, I can't think of any other game that combines a multitude of playstyles supported by skill point acquisition, in a world where you can also take your time exploring generally non-combat civilian areas and learning about the world.

I always think of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex as a pair in my mind, and they're both awesome, with the latter(safe exploration) being the biggest difference, and it follows through with Bioshock and DX3.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Septus wrote:
    The giant bomb guys seem to think all the regular gameplay mechanics are fairly clunky but they're way more critical (being critics, such a shock) of games than I am. Like they've talked about how dated Deus Ex 1's gameplay is, and while I can intellectually see that, it's still a super fun game for me. Definitely looking forward to seeing how the game plays for myself.

Well, I can't think of any other game that combines a multitude of playstyles supported by skill point acquisition, in a world where you can also take your time exploring generally non-combat civilian areas and learning about the world.

I always think of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex as a pair in my mind, and they're both awesome, with the latter(safe exploration) being the biggest difference, and it follows through with Bioshock and DX3.

How the game plays as a whole doesn't have anything to do with judging the individual elements of its gameplay. You can look at the quality of the shooting based on other shooters, despite these other shooters not having what all else Deus Ex has. All the elements of a game come together to make the whole experience, but you can have an excellent game with some shitty gameplay segments. The GB review basically says the world and the writing is way, way more than enough to make the game wonderful, but there are some parts of the raw gameplay which could have been fleshed out more.

But like I said, they're more critical of gameplay than I am, so it'll be fun to see how much I enjoy all that individual stuff.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just killed so many gangsters.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've gone from not paying any attention to this game or wanting it at all, to having it bought and pre-loaded and waiting to unlock, all because I stupidly came in this thread. But now I'm wondering if I have time to play through Deus Ex first. I bought it a while back but my computer died just after I completed the Liberty Island bit at the beginning, so I've never played most of it. How long would it take to do a run through?

• Options
    smof wrote:
    I've gone from not paying any attention to this game or wanting it at all, to having it bought and pre-loaded and waiting to unlock, all because I stupidly came in this thread. But now I'm wondering if I have time to play through Deus Ex first. I bought it a while back but my computer died just after I completed the Liberty Island bit at the beginning, so I've never played most of it. How long would it take to do a run through?
    Probably about 15 hours.

I think that is about how long it took me when I wasn't being completionist.

• Options
    My roommate picked up my collectors edition. It is waiting patiently for me 4000km away.

where/why are you 4000 km away from your apartment?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    i can now throw fridges

• Options
    I am able to throw fridges but I have not yet had a reason to when I can just sneaksneaksneakbreakheadsneaksneaksneaktranqdartsneaksneak

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Squall wrote:
    i can now throw fridges

High five.

I just used them to block entrances.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Squall wrote: »
    i can now throw fridges

You find a door you can't hack? You best find a fridge.

• Options
    Anyone else have way to easy a time with the Gangsters and antenna?

Wish I could turn up the difficulty.

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    It's funny that the trenchcoat doesn't look anything like the main character's actual trenchcoat

I'd totally wear that trenchcoat if it were a pea coat instead of a trenchcoat.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    Uriel wrote:
    Anyone else have way to easy a time with the Gangsters and antenna?

Wish I could turn up the difficulty.

if you're not already playing on Deus Ex mode, you can change it during the game from the gameplay options.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I own a black leather trenchcoat.

Just gotta get it repaired at a tailors somewhere.

No idea how much it'll cost though.

EDIT: Thanks BahumetZERO

Fucking goddamn Top of the page.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    that's not how you spell it :(

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I'll spell it how I want to spell it dammit.

Bahumumumu

• Options
    humbabaZERO

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Still have never played Deus Ex. So I guess I should go play Deus Ex, right?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Still have never played Deus Ex. So I guess I should go play Deus Ex, right?

Do you like fun?

Can you handle a slightly dated game?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I like fun.

I like playing Genesis games.

And I bought Deus Ex and Deus Ex Part Deux during last year's Steam sales.

Even installed em.

Just never hit play.

Sell me, in exactly 10 words.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    Update on Gamestop: Stop buying their games guys.

leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    You can hit dudes with swords so hard they explode!

Ten words there but really just try it.

If you don't feel it in the first level you probably wont dig it.

• Options
    I don't know, the fact that they are honoring returns seems pretty solid of them. They basically sold an opened product as brand new, and you likely couldn't ordinarily return that. I know at least Best Buy does not allow returns on opened game products.

• Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    I don't know, the fact that they are honoring returns seems pretty solid of them. They basically sold an opened product as brand new, and you likely couldn't ordinarily return that. I know at least Best Buy does not allow returns on opened game products.

That seems pretty "oh shit, we got caught" of them to me.

I'm sure if nobody had heard about about them doing that incredibly shitty practice in the first place then they would've kept right on doing that.

PJWczLu.png
  • Options

I think the point is they're taking out a feature implemented by the developers of the game because they don't want to encourage people to use their vastly superior competition. Who cares if they're accepting returns? That's bullshit no matter how you slice it.

• Options
    JC of DI wrote:

That seems pretty "oh shit, we got caught" of them to me.

I'm sure if nobody had heard about about them doing that incredibly shitty practice in the first place then they would've kept right on doing that.

Well, no question, and they're still an awful company. But people are looking at this particular update as if it's just another round of evil decisions by them when it's actually the only good one so far.

• Options
    AzadIsCool wrote:

I think the point is they're taking out a feature implemented by the developers of the game because they don't want to encourage people to use their vastly superior competition. Who cares if they're accepting returns? That's bullshit no matter how you slice it.

OnLive is not a feature implemented by the developers. It's a totally separate service from Deus Ex that they decided to include a coupon for. A service that's in direct competition to one that Gamestop offers. It's a conflict of interest and there isn't anything wrong with wanting to avoid promoting a competitor. Gamestop handled it in the shittiest way possible, and there is no redeeming that whatsoever, but them not wanting to have anything to do with OnLive is absolutely not bullshit.

• Options
    Oh, guess I didn't see anybody hating on that particular facet of the story.

I'll agree with that way of putting it.

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Also I wonder what Steam's take on all this is - if they knew beforehand that Square Enix would be shipping a Steamworks integrated game with that promotion for OnLive.

I mean, the weird thing about Gamestop's doing it is that great, you got rid of that online competitor card - now they can go home and install the game using an online competitor.

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    AzadIsCool wrote:

OnLive is not a feature implemented by the developers. It's a totally separate service from Deus Ex that they decided to include a coupon for. A service that's in direct competition to one that Gamestop offers. It's a conflict of interest and there isn't anything wrong with wanting to avoid promoting a competitor. Gamestop handled it in the shittiest way possible, and there is no redeeming that whatsoever, but them not wanting to have anything to do with OnLive is absolutely not bullshit.

The feature chosen to be put in the game by the devs is a free copy on OnLive, that is the feature I was referring to. I agree with what you're saying but what's more important is that Impulse is shit and Gamestop shouldn't voluntarily lose all of these sales in trying to promote a failing service.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    This game is so damn good.

I stopped going full on tranq shadow ninja once the bad guys started pissing me off. Laser-sighted armor piercing silenced 10mm handgun is the best. Whats that? Wearing a helmet? Plink plink, don't matter to me.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Well, OnLive is a cloud streaming service and I don't think Steam is doing that yet. Similarly, while I think Gamestop has digital downloading (not 100% sure and this and definitely don't want to visit their website) they don't offer the full range of features that Steam does. They don't yet have a totally separate service. OnLive and whatever Gamestop is doing are literally the same exact thing. Also, presumably, Square-Enix did this at the last minute and didn't tell Gamestop. There isn't anything on the packaging mentioning it either. That's a pretty shady practice in an of itself. Gamestop just had a really damn shady reaction to it. They should have just pulled the thing to begin with.

• Options
    AzadIsCool wrote:
    AzadIsCool wrote:

The feature chosen to be put in the game by the devs is a free copy on OnLive, that is the feature I was referring to. I agree with what you're saying but what's more important is that Impulse is shit and Gamestop shouldn't voluntarily lose all of these sales in trying to promote a failing service.

Impulse being good or not doesn't have anything to do with this though. That's all opinion (almost certainly correct opinion) with little impact on the business side of things. There is a lot to hate about this series of events today, but people need to focus on the things actually worth hating. Gamestop wanting to avoid a conflict of interest is not bad. Them ripping off consumers by selling open box product as new is.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Squall wrote:
    there's joe louis arena! and the people mover! and jefferson avenue! i live off that street!

this must be what it's like for people living in new york to play something like spider-man

or the first deus ex

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    ugh I need to get in this room, but I can't handle the hack ugh

bang bang bang bang

oh shit I just shot the door to pieces

wooooooo guns

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    ugh I need to get in this room, but I can't handle the hack ugh

bang bang bang bang

oh shit I just shot the door to pieces

wooooooo guns

Throw stuff at it for ammo conservation.

This discussion has been closed.