As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SURFING] in Southern California (around or south of LA)

Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
It's about god damn time I learned how to surf.

I've snowboarded before, so the concept isn't completely foreign to me. But I've never actually tried surfing.

I am a good swimmer so I don't think I have to worry about drowning.

Questions:
  • What are the best places to learn? Options are: Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Seal Beach, maybe Huntington Beach (although the last might be a bit hardcore). Maybe Newport Beach but that's far.
  • Should I take a few lessons first, or just jump in the water and see what happens?
  • Do I have to wake up at 4am?
  • Do I need a wet suit?
  • Any specific preparation required?

Also, any good websites that might help me prepare?

Thanks in advance folks.

Protein Shakes on

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The water temperature is forecast around 17 degrees C this time of year, which means you won't have to worry about a wetsuit or anything.

That's a lot different then up here in the north fucking Atlantic, where people surf in wetsuits in summer and thick ass drysuits in winter. Which goes to show how fun it is, if people are willing to brave the North Atlantic in winter to surf.

Robman on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Pacific is a coooooooooooooold ocean, so I'd say get a wetsuit. The ocean was super cold every time I went to Santa Monica/Malibu during the summer when I lived in LA.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Surfing is much easier to learn if you just befriend some surfers, as they will probably spend a good portion of their time obsessing over exactly what, when and where to surf and be full of information. They will also keep an eye on you out there which is good because there can be risks, particularly if no one is around and you don't know what you are doing. Its usually quite a social activity. If this isn't an option a lesson or two might be a good idea.

General safety things I was told:
    -If the current is pulling you out to sea you are in a rip. Paddle parallel to the shore to get out of it, not against the current.
    -When you fall in dive away from the board if you can, and shield your head with your arms. This is in case the wave decides to dump the board on your head.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Make some friends, and surf on sand breaks for a while. If you're learning you want to stay away from rocks generally as if you fall too deep when you bail you are going to get smack in to one. And you definetly want to stay away from reefs as it is like hitting a cheese grater when you do fall in too deep (about 3 feet... reef breaks are shallow as hell).

Also, get doing push-ups every day if you're not doing them already, you will be doing them a lot and any struggling will likely cause you to bail. Practice standing up from a flat chested position on dry land.

this is an okay video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwkDE6oB6OE

Bendery It Like Beckham on