As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Click to affirm Infidel is amazing.

• Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bleh. I'm sitting here bored at work, trying to update my campaign wiki and all I want to do is scrap it and start over with some other organization.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Bleh. I'm sitting here bored at work, trying to update my campaign wiki and all I want to do is scrap it and start over with some other organization.

Have the new organization kill the old organization.

Using bladelings.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I meant how it is organized.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Have the Bladelings reorganize it for you.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On Bladelings, for the longest time the only things I knew about them were from the Character Builder... so I basically just knew they were in the Manual of the Planes. So, I sort of invented an imaginary ecology for them in my mind. I thought they came from a plane made entirely of blades. The ground? BLADES. The food and water? BLADES. The air? BLADES. EVERYTHING = BLADES. Bladelings that escaped from the plane were naturally delighted that their world was no longer made of PAIN AND BLADES, though were still feared by the world by the other races their inherent blade-iness.

Needless to say, when I found out the truth, I was severely disappointed.

Kinahto on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Actually that's exactly where they came from in 2nd edition.

Planescape bladelings were boss. I think that's why they keep trying to bring them back. They just keep doing it incredibly wrong.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Actually that's exactly where they came from in 2nd edition.

Planescape bladelings were boss. I think that's why they keep trying to bring them back. They just keep doing it incredibly wrong.

I thought Planescape bladelings came from a bunch of giant metal cubes that were constantly crashing into each other?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wrong layer.

Bladelings come from Ocanthus. Razor-shap, frozen shards of the Styx perpetually rain down upon them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wrong layer.

Bladelings come from Ocanthus. Razor-shap, frozen shards of the Styx perpetually rain down upon them.

Unfortunately, the River Styx only flows throughout the Nine Hells in the default cosmology.

I believe it still flows throughout the "Lower Planes" in 4E Forgotten Realms' cosmology, though.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In general, they seem to put a great deal of effort into taking the awesome out of them.

Personally, I like the idea of some kind of ancient curse of blades that causes them, and, eventually, anything they touch, to grow spikes. Like a racial paragon path would cause them to leave trails of bladed ground wherever they stood for a full round or something. Also this way they could have spikes without having to poke holes in all of their armor. Something like this, but done by a competent artist with a scanner and an art program, for a bladeling shaman:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Incenjucar/Bladelette.jpg

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One of the least supported classes is the guardian druid, so if I wanted an article to balance out anything, it would be about them.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just got back from playing D&D. Both of our defenders were present tonight (Pally and Warden), rendering the rest of the party largely untouchable. I actually spent the night casting Eldrich Blast instead of Eyebite since I felt no need to be "invisible" with the defenders doing such a good job. First time I've really bothered with it in 6 levels; the d10 is a nice improvement over eyebite's d6. I need to do better about remembering things like Prime Shot, Shadow Walk, and Empowering Shadows, though.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I can't say I know much about druids. My only experience with them is through multiclassing. What exactly is it that they are lacking?

--

Have urban druids been done?

Edit: Yes, yes they have. In 3E, but still. Not getting involved in conversions. Hrmn. Maybe a plant-focused thing. Fungal druids?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't say I know much about druids. My only experience with them is through multiclassing. What exactly is it that they are lacking?

--

Edit: Yes, yes they have. In 3E, but still. Not getting involved in conversions. Hrmn. Maybe a plant-focused thing. Fungal druids?

You should pre-empt Dark Sun.

Write something that will fit with it - you don't need to know all the details of the setting to write something desert-y etc.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It would be pretty cool to see PA submissions go up on Wizards!

streever on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just in case anyone hasn't seen it - http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=120521

I'm recruiting for a weekly D&D 4th Edition game using MapTools. The game will run every Monday from 6pm to 10pm eastern.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

--

Non-feral druids have shit for feat-support. I was personally considering doing a feat-write up for ranged druids, to do something with all their elemental damage and controlly-ness.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Honestly, I'm kinda lost in all the hodge-podge of feat support for some classes and builds and not for others, and feel vaguely out of my depth when someone is all 'Oh, you're an <insert class/build here>? Why don't you have <feat/power X I've never heard about>? It's a total no-brainer to take that if you're a <whatever I am>.'

Honestly, I'm not even sure which feats are official, and which aren't, and which were tweaked. Like the whole article on Half-Elves a while back that people said utterly broke the race. What happened there?

I should renew my DDI sub, download the latest updates for the CBuilder, and try to figure out how out of date and thus comparitively useless my characters are.

I should renew my

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm kinda lost in all the hodge-podge of feat support for some classes and builds and not for others, and feel vaguely out of my depth when someone is all 'Oh, you're an <insert class/build here>? Why don't you have <feat/power X I've never heard about>? It's a total no-brainer to take that if you're a <whatever I am>.'

Honestly, I'm not even sure which feats are official, and which aren't, and which were tweaked. Like the whole article on Half-Elves a while back that people said utterly broke the race. What happened there?

I should renew my DDI sub, download the latest updates for the CBuilder, and try to figure out how out of date and thus comparitively useless my characters are.

I should renew my
    Everything in DDi/CB is "official" as far as that goes. Game breaking feats put out through Dragon usually get corrected by the end of the month, well before they are added to the CB.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Honestly, most of the game breaking feats are in the books. Dragon Material tends to be a bit more well balanced.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of updates for the Character Builder, is anyone having trouble with the latest update? A few days ago it said there was a new update and every time that I try and download it, the program freezes up.

Timmy on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of submissions to WotC, I've submitted two adventures so far. The first submission, The Floating Grave, didn't get a response, so I'm re-writing that and "releasing" it on its own. The second I'm still waiting to hear about.

I'm thinking the next submission will be about evil campaigns. Basically just taking my experiences with Broken Chains and translating that into an article. I could see doing multiple articles actually:

-DM advice for running an evil campaign
    -Player advice for running an evil character, or perhaps evil options for PCs, like CD powers for evil deities, evil-themed paragon paths/epic destinies, etc, or perhaps both.

Denada on
  • Options
    MagisterMagister Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Things I'd like to see:

Superior shields - Bucklers and Tower Shields. More shield options with darksun coming up would be nice. Especially if there was a way to profit more from the shields if you are wearing lighter armor.

Stuff in general to make wearing lighter armor appealing to classes that can wear heavier armor. Again, Darksun coming up.

Throwing Weapon love. Darksun had lot of crazy throwing weapons. Like barbed mini-javelins with ropes attached to drag people with, or the crystal 3 bladed boomerang things.

Knife/Blade monk stuff. Scimitar dancer, etc.

Wizard damage keyword stuff. Like the recent pyro stuff, only for different keywords.

Poisoner/Assassin bards. Maybe the Darksun book will have it, maybe it won't and a lot of people will want it. Especially if it stayed away from the magical side of the class.

Magister on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Guys I gotta say, playing a low level invoker, Whispers of Defeat is the raddest thing. My party absolutely loves it every time I use it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A good basic concept for a Dark Sun Guardian Druid article should obviously incorporate the sun. Radiant and Fire powers with blinds, dazes and stuns, maybe some setting shits on fire.

I mean, the sun is dark, but I don't think we're ready for Druids with Necrotic powers.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe a druid burrowing-theme too with respect to some feats or powers in wild shape.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Considering 2/3 of the class is already wild shape oriented, I think we need some feat and power support for the Guardian, Aegis =\

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So guardian druids are the non-beastmode ones then?

Yeah they definitely need feat support.

--

The thing with pre-empting Dark Sun is that they have changed the math. It is really hard to do things when you don't know how the math has changed.

That said, as soon as I have the rules on my hand, I have a flurry of activity planned. My own campaign setting is going to draw on some of the new rules in DS, since while it's a lusher landscape it shares some of the low-metal, no-deity aspects, and would benefit greatly from themes, so I'll definitely be looking into things that can also be added into DS.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What I read was that Darksun was using the exact same math as the core rules (with the only change being inherent bonuses being the default option for the setting).

Darksun monsters should be no harder than any other monsters in 4E. If a DM wants the campaign to be more brutal, they just need to be less forgiving/nice, pump up encounter budgets, or both.

Magister on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MM3 blatantly changes the math. Dark Sun is "equal" to that new math. Dark Sun's inherent bonuses and themes are as of yet not fully understood. I'm not experienced enough at this to work on guesses, rumors, and partial information. :P I also don't know what they already have, and I'm a big fan of filling gaps.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Considering 2/3 of the class is already wild shape oriented, I think we need some feat and power support for the Guardian, Aegis =\

Oh I know and I'd like this. I just couldn't realistically justify a non-beast shape burrowing idea. Maybe granting party members the ability to burrow, I suppose.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darksun monsters should be no harder than any other monsters in 4E.

Given MM3 this is probably true. It's more fair to say now MM3 and beyond is more powerful.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't believe Infidel didn't think a screen-by-screen replay of Super Ghosts'n'Ghouls wasn't a good idea for his adventure tonight. nyoro~n

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Magister wrote: »
    Throwing Weapon love. Darksun had lot of crazy throwing weapons. Like barbed mini-javelins with ropes attached to drag people with, or the crystal 3 bladed boomerang things.

Knife/Blade monk stuff. Scimitar dancer, etc.

Poisoner/Assassin bards. Maybe the Darksun book will have it, maybe it won't and a lot of people will want it. Especially if it stayed away from the magical side of the class.

1) That's definitely in. In the podcast, one of the NPC's (a thri'kreen) specifically crafts the crystalline boomerang during down time.
    2) I don't expect to see a build, but monks can already use weapons with many of their abilities. Darksun is also adding a lot of "extra bit" weapons, like spiked forearms and such, that allow one to do things like dual-wield while still keeping their off-hand free.
    3) I doubt this would show up in Dark Sun, as bards are already going to be stigmatized for using the Arcane power source. In many city-states, just being a bard would warrant a quick and messy execution; they wouldn't stop to ask you what kind of bard you were.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wish they'd put up the math formulas for the MM3 monsters so I could start working on a spreadsheet of my own since the Monster Builder is never going to get upgraded to the new statblocks.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    delroland wrote: »
    1) That's definitely in. In the podcast, one of the NPC's (a thri'kreen) specifically crafts the crystalline boomerang during down time.
    They exist in the setting, but do they have rules for it? Maybe they do, but maybe they don't and as such would really like an article to stick into Dragon so players could use those crystal throwing weapons they heard about in the Penny Arcade pod cast (or read about in Darksun).
    delroland wrote: »
    3) I doubt this would show up in Dark Sun, as bards are already going to be stigmatized for using the Arcane power source. In many city-states, just being a bard would warrant a quick and messy execution; they wouldn't stop to ask you what kind of bard you were.

Old School Darksun bards did not have any arcane spellcasting ability at all. They completely stripped that out of the class and replaced it with a mastery of poisons. While "change happens", and Arcane spellcasting bards are going to be part of 4E Darksun, having a bard option that didn't focus so strongly on the classes arcane abilities (and even allow a player to totally avoid the arcane if they set out to do so) could be a nice bard option, and one that would be very welcome by Darksun bard players.

Magister on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ...but the Bard class is a Leader role, focusing on Arcane Spells through the gift of song. They've already said they're not going to resource existing class's powers.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That just means that 4E Darksun bards will be rogues or assassins. Don't get all caught up on the names of things.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Any class can sing. :D

Houn on
  • Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    :whistle:The dunes are alive with the sound of music.:whistle:

Probad on
This discussion has been closed.