As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Click to affirm Infidel is amazing.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nah. real ants just pop and spill out parasitic worms or flies that are twice their size

Google Zombie Ants.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, just after I finish up a parasitic fungal-related skill challenge.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just had another idea I am going to try out on my tabletop group. I am going to go buy a nice big thick journal-type notebook and draw a seal on it with some lettering. This book will act as our session log and as their sort of game "encyclopedia". Then, in game, the group will find a tome that is from a family of storytellers. The idea is that if they write in the real-life book during a game session and the stuff they write down is in-character, then the book in-game will grant them bonuses to History and Diplomacy checks. I am trying to encourage some more roleplaying and I think this might be it. Two of my players like taking notes and writing what happens and the third is really into getting bonuses so I think this can get all of them interested. Here's a write-up I made of the book:

Tolk the Legendsayers are a family of famous storytelling bards and poets of epics. They often carry a Tome of the Tolks, a chronicle that acts as their journal, collection of stories and travel encyclopedia. They will often jot down stories or sayings they hear on their travels. Usually, a Tolk will devote an entire page of the Tome on an interesting character he met during his travels, writing down a story or saying the individual had. A well-traveled Tolk bard will have a tome stuffed full of interesting anecdotes, cultural sayings, lists of fascinating persons and places and an exciting journal of travels around the world. These tomes serve as a sort of almanac of people and places in addition to a travel journal. The family seal on the front of these books are well-recognized by various courts and many bards and minstrels hold great respect for a Tolk Legendsayer.

If the group writes frequently in the book during a game session and it is in-character, they gain a +1 to History and Diplomacy checks for that session. The book is divided into “Stories” (keeping track of quests and missions), “Personae” (log of characters and NPCs met), “Localities” (Places they’ve been to or heard about) and “Journal” (a game session log). Any character may write in the book and the book grants +2 bonus to Bluff checks when attempting to pose as wandering travelers.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aegof wrote: »
    Man, just after I finish up a parasitic fungal-related skill challenge.

i am so glad that you only saw this now

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    I suppose Palming Attack is useful if you really need to heal, attack, and move in a single round as opposed to just attacking and healing.

It'll let you apply poison to your weapons that much more easily.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Talonrazer, I like that idea so much, I may steal it if I ever DM one day.

Houn on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I suppose Palming Attack is useful if you really need to heal, attack, and move in a single round as opposed to just attacking and healing.

It'll let you apply poison to your weapons that much more easily.

This reminds me, I need to do a poison-build something. Not sure what yet. It's just so feat intensive though :(

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am pleasantly surprised that the new version of Adventure Tools updated my custom creatures to the MM3 stat block, and did so pretty much seamlessly.

Hachface on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My custom creatures all got a host of bugs (thankfully I didn't have many to fix).

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am not so worried about most of mine, given that I wanted to redo 90% of them anyway. Thankfully I don't feel as worried about custom creatures now, because between the new damage expressions to unsuck old monsters (Many of whom have perfectly viable stats and powers, especially in MM2 onwards) and the wide array of actually decent monsters in MM3 I'm not feeling the need to create everything from scratch. In fact other than named specific antagonists, in Mark of War I've not built a single non-Wizards creature. In SoH I've not been using hardly any custom creatures (Only Bloodiron archons) as the new epic level demons are actually good.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    So as a matter of preference, do giant ants bleed green, orange or red gooey blood?

They bleed a swarm of smaller ants.

This is the correct answer.

It's devious! I like it.

There is an encounter I'm about to run with a Rust Monster Terror and a few Rust Monster swarms that just got a lot more devilish.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What are good products to get for miniatures that are the same size as normal D&D minis and are painted? I don't want to get Reaper minis because I hate painting minis as do the players but buying a bunch of D&D packs to try and get what I need is kind of a waste. Is there a good place where I can put in an order for a bunch of individuals that will work for what I need without having to do a bunch of painting?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ...Buy already painted minis from ebay?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    What are good products to get for miniatures that are the same size as normal D&D minis and are painted? I don't want to get Reaper minis because I hate painting minis as do the players but buying a bunch of D&D packs to try and get what I need is kind of a waste. Is there a good place where I can put in an order for a bunch of individuals that will work for what I need without having to do a bunch of painting?

Try here?

http://www.trollandtoad.com/Collectible-Miniatures-Games/1324-1285p1n10.html

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    9JQ7h.png

I just made the Hypnotoad to play around with the Monster Builder. The party I've started DMing for probably won't recognize it for what it is. (Sigh)

I don't know if it is a threat or not. The dominate things got picked because they are thematic and I assume very nasty, but I don't know. I've never made a custom creature from the Monster Builder.

There are so many awesome things creatures can do. How do you know when to stop adding abilities other than, "I guess that'll be enough?" It's not like creating characters, where there are limited feats and powers. I know when I can't do anything more when I build a character. How do you decide when you make monsters? The rules seem to be, "How bad ass do I want to make this before I think I'll end up with a TPK?"

Any building suggestions, or rules for making unique monsters without going overboard?

Torgo on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OK, a couple of things there; you have a power which, as written, allows the toad to force any creature within five squares to MBA any other creature three times/turn without actually rolling any dice on the toad's behalf. Also, the teleportation filed is a triggered reaction without a trigger.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hypnotoad is in my real-life game. The druid took the power Summon Giant Toad specifically so she could use Hypnotoad for the art on the token.

Timmy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    OK, a couple of things there; you have a power which, as written, allows the toad to force any creature within five squares to MBA any other creature three times/turn without actually rolling any dice on the toad's behalf. Also, the teleportation filed is a triggered reaction without a trigger.

Good points. I stole the power from a shardmind dominator creature that was a level 8 controller. At least I thought it was. If a level 8 creature can do that...maybe I copied to the wrong slot? That does seem ridiculous as a minor. It would have to be a recharge standard / encounter power at best. The teleport was left over from the armored brain in the jar I built it from because I didn't think of anything more thematic. Thanks for the input.

Torgo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Minor actions that do things, particularly attacks to other creatures, typically have a 1/round addendum attached to it, to prevent the use of 3 minor actions in the turn.

However, the way I read the power was that it was used on a creature dominated by the Hypnotoad (through Glory to the Hypnotoad!) which wouldn't be all that bad. It would give the toad 2 actions by the dominated creature instead of just 1.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Help me, Penny Arcade! You're my only hope!

I'm running an encounter tomorrow (!!!) for some friends. Basically, I was asked to GM a small stretch of the game to give our current GM a break, and the chance to play the game as a player, rather than a GM. So, I've gotten the lore needed and a general overview of what should be happening, and been given free reign to plan things. So I came up with the following monsters to use in an encounter.
    elvencrystalmage.jpgcrystalguardian.jpg

It's a 4 man group of level 11 adventurers. It would have been 5 man, but one of the players can't make this weekend, so I lowered the XP value of the encounter, and adjusted it for 4 people. As there's no way to check balance in the builder other than the HP/defenses/attackbonuses/damage and the like, I was hoping. Do you think this would make for a challenging fight? The initial idea is for the party to encounter the mage, attack, and have him use his Perfect Defense encounter, thus setting up a large-scale minion-bash (while he does very little except control the minions and have auras running) while the party attempts to hold off the crystal guardians to allow the rogue and artificer to figure out how to break him out of the Perfect Defense power (basically, some crystal power sources in the area keep his shields up, if they are disarmed/destroyed/subverted etc, then he loses his Resist All and actually enters the fight) and progress the encounter. So it's a combat and skill challenge in one. Any thoughts on the monster portion? I'm pretty sure that the skill challenge should be fine.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What's the party makeup? If they don't have reliable auto-damage and/or AoE attacks the sheer amount of minions he can summon (12 at start of Perfect Defense, +4 with Crystal Resurgence and then if recharge rolls are lucky more) it could be hairy.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Warden (Breach Warden PP) - some AoE attacks, and I think he has an auto-damage elemental aura that'd take care of some minions.

Artificer - No real idea what this guy can do. He's the former-GM's character.

Beastmaster Ranger - mostly single target, but has two big AoEs from his beast, I think.

Daggermaster Rogue - some 'hit two enemy' powers, but not many.

Maybe I'll need to tone down the number of minons from Perfect Defence to 8, or make Crystal Resurgence only usable if there are no minions on the field, and keep the recharge on it.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, a Warden. They should have no trouble then, heh (by that I mean, get overwhelmed in numbers as Wardens have a ton of AoE and auto-damage).

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe cut a minion or two, since you don't have a Controller. If you had a Wizard or an Invoker (Hand of Radiance!!) then I'd say maybe even add one or two, but without a Controller in general you're really dependent on that Artificer and Warden for burst attacks, and Artificers don't necessarily have them.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Maybe I'll start Perfect Defense throwing out 8 minions, and have Crystal Resurgence only available if there are no Guardians on the field. I was thinking that might make it too easy, though. Most of the Solo's damage comes from blowing up Guardians, his at-wills aren't that damaging. (Though they're average for a level 12 controller. They just seem... really anaemic.)

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dude, theme information.

Unwelcome Guest looks pretty fun.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I really like the idea of Themes. I am going to incorporate them right away into my game, using them as bonuses for joining organizations I think.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    snypersnyper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Torgo wrote: »
    9JQ7h.png

I just made the Hypnotoad to play around with the Monster Builder. The party I've started DMing for probably won't recognize it for what it is. (Sigh)

I don't know if it is a threat or not. The dominate things got picked because they are thematic and I assume very nasty, but I don't know. I've never made a custom creature from the Monster Builder.

There are so many awesome things creatures can do. How do you know when to stop adding abilities other than, "I guess that'll be enough?" It's not like creating characters, where there are limited feats and powers. I know when I can't do anything more when I build a character. How do you decide when you make monsters? The rules seem to be, "How bad ass do I want to make this before I think I'll end up with a TPK?"

Any building suggestions, or rules for making unique monsters without going overboard?

I would make the minor action power both have an attack roll and the 1/round restriction. Also, the standard action power you have is a recharge but doesn't have a recharge roll. I would suggest to make it a recharge 5,6, or you can make the domination last until the EONT and drop it to an at-will, your choice.

snyper on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    NnY3I.png

I've redesigned the Hypnotoad with the suggestions I've gotten so far. I've toned down the minor action extra attack to a creature already dominated, and I removed the teleport move triggered action. Also, I gave it a tongue lash attack, and changed the dominate standard action to a recharge 5,6. Did I weaken it too much?

Torgo on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To fight level 12 PCs, yes.

It would be pretty dangerous at level 6-7, I think.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    3clipse wrote: »

Crap. The party is level 10. Should I get rid of the recharge?

Torgo on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks fine to me. Creatures that can dominate at will are common by paragon and epic, plus there are even some that do in heroic tier. It's powers don't look particularly threatening, so a level 10 party should handle it. Just as long as you aren't throwing 5 of them into one encounter, but that's always been a problem with things that dominate.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    3clipse wrote: »

Crap. The party is level 10. Should I get rid of the recharge?

I was thinking of it as a solo, which is silly. If it's part of a larger group of monsters it looks fairly balanced, actually.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    NnY3I.png

I've redesigned the Hypnotoad with the suggestions I've gotten so far. I've toned down the minor action extra attack to a creature already dominated, and I removed the teleport move triggered action. Also, I gave it a tongue lash attack, and changed the dominate standard action to a recharge 5,6. Did I weaken it too much?
    Just a little thing with the Overwhelming Domination; it doesn't have a proper range so there's no way to know if it triggers As or other effects. If you make it a close burst 5 targeting "one creature in the burst dominated..." that would sort it out and bring the wording into line with WotC's monsters.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Legendary%20Encounters

Reaper has a line of pre-painted plastics just for this purpose. :D

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rules question:

A monster performs a Close burst 3 attack. Three PC's are caught in the burst. However, one of them has an immediate interrupt when he is attacked that pushes the monster 6 squares away.

Does that push invalidate any or all of the attacks made by that monster's burst attack, or do all the attacks resolve prior to the push?

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All the attacks in a burst occur at once. The player attack is an interrupt, so it happens before the burst attack.

If the push is such that the players leave a Close Burst 3, then the attacks against them are invalidated. The power is expended too, for what it's worth.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The monster could still reasonably attack any valid targets in the burst at its new position though; it's not like the power doesn't happen; it just happens waay over there instead...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

mage knight minis are about the same size, cheap as hell at sites like 'troll and toad', already painted, sturdier than d&d minis

they have stupid bases on them, but they are easily pulled off

then you can just glue them to something about the same size

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What does it interrupt? The damage roll, or the attack roll?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
This discussion has been closed.