Options

[World Cup] "The Green Error" to live in infamy, vuvuzelas are omgterrible

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    I dunno. A win and a draw can put them through. And apparently that opening match, regardless of the pairing, is particularly friendly, so that could be the draw there. Draw Mexico, beat France, that could be enough to advance.

Not if Uruguay and Mexico both also beat France

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As much as I would like to believe England could win it, the likelihood is they won't.

Currently have some money on them getting to the semi finals, everyone getting excited, and promptly getting knocked out.

A side bet on losing on penalties, of course.

Biosys on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Me: Chen
    ESPN: Member Name Unavailable -- Here are some suggestions: C2417; C8623; 70C6; 5256C; Chen235
    Me: PAChen
    ESPN: Member Name Unavailable -- Here are some suggestions: C799; C9576; 18C1; 5519C; PAChen43
    Me: CWW
    ESPN: Your member name has exceeded the character limit.

Does ESPN has some kind of grudge against me?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, you know what characters those W's are. Get two of them in a room together and it's nuts. Get three of them together and, well, you know why the Internet is like it is.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    japan wrote: »
    USA actually should do well in their group. Neither Algeria nor Slovenia are particularly strong.
    None of the teams in our group are powder-puffs, but no excuses this time around. Getting out of the group or going home early after 3 is completely in our hands. If we don't get out of the group stage, it'll be a huge disappointment for US soccer.

For anyone in the DC area, this might be a good way to watch the game:

http://dcist.com/2010/06/world_cup_viewing_in_dupont_circle.php

As an aside, the actual World Cup trophy looks pretty shitty. It looks half-melted.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yay world cup thread!

I watched the friendly between US and OZ on saturday - it was pretty entertaining! Also signed up for the yahoo group! Yaaaaay world cup!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Joined the Yahoo! group. Not that I care that much about football, but I can't pass an opportunity for some mad bragging rights.

Aldo on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i'm pretty pumped, rooting for england as always. if i didn't, my dad would disown me.

retrovm on
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As an Argentina fan, I'm almost hoping for them to not even get out of the group stage so that they'll fire Maradona. AFA politics are nuts.

But I'll take winning the whole thing as an alternative.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As an Argentina fan, I'm almost hoping for them to not even get out of the group stage so that they'll fire Maradona. AFA politics are nuts.

As an anti-Argentina fan, I can't believe we both want Argentina to be sent packing.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ahh, the magic of the Cup... bringing people together! :)

oldmanken on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I know almost nothing of soccer or the World Cup.

And yet I think I'm going to try to follow this year, though.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

As an anti-Argentina fan, I can't believe we both want Argentina to be sent packing.

i dont mind messi and some of the other players
    its maradona that i cant stand

when he was announced as their coach even my grandmother said "wtf were they thinking?"

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So It Goes on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If they play as well as they did in '06 they're gonna be "back here" real soon.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So very very excited.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i think it would be a really good result for the US to draw with england, but i'm not counting on it. we'll see! group C seems to be pretty well-matched in terms of skill..

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    retrovm wrote: »
    i think it would be a really good result for the US to draw with england, but i'm not counting on it. we'll see! group C seems to be pretty well-matched in terms of skill..

even if they lost to england
    they would pass because they would win their other games
    they arent that weak :)

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've got it as a 1-1 draw myself. Hard-fought, someone's going to get sent off, maybe multiple people, Altidore bores through the hole created by Ferdinand, Gerrard bores through Bornstein, and nothing really gets settled. And then we both take out the frustration over not settling it on Algeria and Slovenia and go through together.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

trufax

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Algeria is a cake walk, they were atrocious in the ACN. Slovenia is a little tougher, though the US should be able to get the win.

England is a test, one which I think they will fail. The defensive mistakes which the US are prone to are just something you can't afford against a team like England. Gooch is not 100%, and has looked very poor in the friendlies, and while Goodson has shown promise, he's young and will get caught out.

Luckily for the US, England hasn't looked great either, but they do have good goal scorers.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Luckily for the US, England hasn't looked great either, but they do have good goal scorers.
    I dunno man, winning nine of your ten qualifiers and beating Croatia 5-1 is ok going.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Africa Nations Cup. Against other African teams.

Remember the whole continent is going to get a boost of some quantity, and Africa as a whole's been getting stronger by the Cup. For all we know all six of them could go absolutely bonkers and leave the rest of the world wondering what the fuck. I've got Cameroon in the final four in the ESPN pool and had I been able to fill the fixture list out that far, I'd have Ghana in the final four in the Yahoo pool.

I have Algeria going out, but they're not going to be a cakewalk. None of the African teams are going to be cakewalks.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    now wingman nani from portugal is yet another player that's gonna miss the world cup due to collarbone injury

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

i dont mind messi and some of the other players
    its maradona that i cant stand

when he was announced as their coach even my grandmother said "wtf were they thinking?"

Yeah, he's an awful, awful coach. I'm pretty sure only two people in the world thought he would be a good choice: himself, and the guy who gave him the job. The thing is, Maradona reached near-deity status in Argentina. The team could lose all their games in the tournament and I think they'd still have a hard time firing him.

And Elldren, like I said, I could go either way :P

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I dunno man, winning nine of your ten qualifiers and beating Croatia 5-1 is ok going.

Yeah, they looked good in qualifiers, but their form in recent friendlies has been less than impressive. You also have to factor in that one of the first choice CBs is out, and the team has a tendency to get defensively jittery in the late game.

England have a good shot, but don't get taken in by the tendency of the English media to hype this team. They are a decent squad with some pretty glaring frailties.
    Gosling wrote: »
    Africa Nations Cup. Against other African teams.

Remember the whole continent is going to get a boost of some quantity, and Africa as a whole's been getting stronger by the Cup. For all we know all six of them could go absolutely bonkers and leave the rest of the world wondering what the fuck. I've got Cameroon in the final four in the ESPN pool and had I been able to fill the fixture list out that far, I'd have Ghana in the final four in the Yahoo pool.

I have Algeria going out, but they're not going to be a cakewalk. None of the African teams are going to be cakewalks.

Home advantage is going to be huge for South Africa, but less so for the other African teams. And straight up, some of these African teams are very good... Cote d'Ivoire (who I will be supporting) has the deepest first 11, Ghana is nearly as good, whereas Cameroon is somewhat less so (though with one of the best strikers in the world).

But make no mistake, Algeria are shit. They were extremely lucky to make it, beating a far better Egyptian side. They aren't going to be hard to beat.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

No, but on any given day we can beat or lose to any given team in the world. Our inconsistency is maddening.

We need another couple of WC cycles to get a deeper talent pool for the team before we're consistently dangerous to top-tier opponents.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    TlexTlex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    England have a good shot, but don't get taken in by the tendency of the English media to hype this team. They are a decent squad with some pretty glaring frailties.

Yeah, England only have 8 champions league finalists(with four winners among them) in their squad. To be fair to the English media, they almost always have one of the best squads at the world cup, even if it lacks the flair of Spain/Netherlands. There is always a chance that players like Rooney/Gerrard/Lampard could propel them to victory.

Too bad it'll never happen.

Tlex on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whelp, I'm in.

Football, not Handegg.

I'm going to lose horribly.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did sdome yahoo picks. Got to change some though after I put them in a prediction thingamajig and had 5 teams getting 9 points and South Africa going out in the groups.

Who do people think will go out from group a? I think Mexico and France go home early with South Africa narrowly pipping the mexicans to second place. France go home with a point. That'll teach them for cheating their way to the world cup.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What's with all the hating on France? Well, apart from the handball.

The French were great in 1998 and deservedly beat Brazil in the final.

They haven't been at their best since forever (upset by China days ago), but hey, what can you do without Zidane?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Deservedly" beat Brazil. Ugh.

I hate France for a lot of reasons, but one main one is Zidane. Can't stand that guy at all, and the reverence for him is sickening.

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Chen wrote: »

The French were great in 1998 and deservedly beat Brazil in the final.

They haven't been at their best since forever (upset by China days ago), but hey, what can you do without Zidane?

i love zidane and thierry henry
    (SUFFER QONAS!!! SUFFER!)

but... its france... you know... france!

(j/k i dont get the dislike for france either, but at least they dont dive like italy.... much)

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chen wrote: »

The French were great in the final in 1998 and deservedly beat Brazil.

Fixed. The french had a fine team, but the Nigeria vs Paraguay match will always be one of the biggest theaters in a World cup.
    Yes, it was Spain's fault for not being already qualified, but still a disgusting push for the home nation.
    That said, I like France to get easy quarters in this WC and once there they can surely play at level with anybody.

Edit: Zidane was an insanely skillful player.

zeeny on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

trufax
    When the United States dramatically drew into England's group, it looked as though Group C might be the proverbial "group of death." But then came two middling teams, Slovenia and Algeria, which softened the group and left no ambiguity about which teams will be expected to advance.

In some sense, indeed, it was about the best draw the Americans could have hoped for. The game against England will attract huge amounts of attention and has huge upside for growing the footprint of the game in America. But it is hardly a must-win or even a must-draw. In fact, according to our simulations, the United States will still have a 42 percent chance of advancing even if it loses its opening match to England. On the other hand, its odds will shoot up to 62 percent if it manages a draw and 87 percent if it wins. So the United States has plenty to play for -- but it can afford to be loose and take chances.

United States (56 percent chance to advance, 22 percent to win group). The United States is one of the tougher teams to evaluate, statistically speaking. CONCACAF qualifying is frankly not all that demanding; nor is its continental tournament, the Gold Cup, which many North American teams do not consider a priority. There was the remarkable 2-0 victory over Spain in the Confederations Cup this past summer -- and the near win against Brazil -- but even that tournament was hardly an unqualified success for the Americans, as they lost more matches than they won.

The U.S. team's performance in recent friendlies has been flat, but friendlies can only tell you so much -- particularly with a roster that has been reshuffled because of injury. If the Americans were to advance to the quarterfinals or even further, it wouldn't qualify as an enormous surprise -- but neither would it be if their roster failed to cohere and they weren't able to advance from a group that, on paper, looks pretty favorable to them.

What SPI thinks is that, in contrast to American squads from the recent past that were best known for their goalkeeping, this one is more offense-minded; its attack rates ninth in the world, according to SPI, but its defense is just 34th. The United States should figure it needs two goals to defeat England, since a clean sheet is unlikely -- and it'll need to watch against conceding soft goals against Slovenia and Algeria.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So we've got Yahoo and ESPN for predictions, but no fantasy game yet? (ie, where you pick the players) I would like to suggest the official McDonald's / FIFA game. It's well done.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's on! I'll cream the lot of you like I did four years ago.

No one pays attention to it after the group phase anyway.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    If they play as well as they did in '06 they're gonna be "back here" real soon.

they had a much tougher group in 06

also this team is better than the 06 squad

but still, to be fair, yes they stunk it up against the Czechs but that 1-1 draw with Italy is still probably one of the finest performances by a U.S. team on the world stage ever. (And the red to Pope was utter bullshit)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.