As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First Year PAX

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Warblade wrote: »
    That costume would be pretty damn impressive, but cumbersome.

First time PAX attendee who hasn't added any questions yet, so I will do so now! =P

I know from the PaxPrime site they recommend traveling via the Shuttle Express Share Ride, but are there alternatives? I heard something about the Monorail from SEATAC possibly being completed by the time PAX roles around?

The Lightrail is up and running from Seatac to Downtown, costs $5 and runs very regularly.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Could the drill hand hurt people? This is the primary concern. If so, the costume is *cool* but I dunno if I'd walk amongst con-goers. I certainly wouldn't go in a crowd. It'd be the kind of costume to wear up-and-down the line to show off a little, but not to walk through people in.

Shooting lightning at con-goers would EXPRESSLY verboten, though, I'm sure.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    NicapNicap Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Katherine wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »
    The costume being "immense" might be a problem to carry around and walk freely, depending how immense you're talking, but there are tons of people who stay in-costume during all of PAX, I wouldn't worry about that aspect of the issue.

Video of the costume can be seen here
    look at 3:14

That is how immense it is. Will I be allowed in? Will my costume be considered a weapon?

That is an awesome video Katherine!

Nicap on
  • Options
    KatherineKatherine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It isn't my video, just a YouTube link. ;)

I think maybe I will wear it only one day; Sunday or Friday. Thanks for the insight.

The drill: The drill is real... it could do harm if people were not careful around it. I think you are right that I should keep it away from crowds.

Katherine on
    Max sig size: 500x80 px or 4 lines of text
    signature-1.png
  • Options
    wideheavyloadwideheavyload Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This'll be my first PAX as well. I'm 32 and my busy life has led me away from all the fun things of my youth like RPGs, video games, and a nice long sting playing SWG and then WoW. I'm hoping that the "full immersion" of going to PAX will jump start my return to focusing on the fun things in life, now that my family and career are well established.

I saw somebody mention something about a pub crawl. Does anyone have any details on this? That seems like a great way to kick off the expo, getting hammered and hanging out with strangers.

wideheavyload on
    The truth will set your teeth free.
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The pub crawl's a separate thread, run by AtlusParker.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=122674

Heleor on
  • Options
    wideheavyloadwideheavyload Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just noticed that. The Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament. I should have picked up on that quicker!

Also, I have an old Nintendo DS (1st gen) that's collecting dust somewhere in my house. Any good games anyone can recommend for filling time while I'm waiting in lines?

wideheavyload on
    The truth will set your teeth free.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tetris, Mario Kart, Pokemon HG/SS. The usual. ;) If you have a Pokewalker, definitely bring that, as PAX east was overrun with them, and they're a great icebreaker if you need it.

Definitely bring your charger with you, though. If I remember right, the original DS didn't have the best battery life, especially when using the WiFi.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=118358 (I'm not sending links to be mean!)

Heleor on
  • Options
    Drizake123Drizake123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This will be my first PAX and I will be going it alone as none of my friends could afford it right now. I am glad to hear about the friendly atmosphere as that was one of my concerns, but my other big one is navigation. I was just wondering how difficult it is to find your way around PAX and to find specific things you are looking for as I can get lost very easy. I heard Xplay does a thing there I would love to see them and I also am looking forward to meeting the Rooster Teeth guys. Just a couple things I know I would like to do while I am there. Are things like that easy to find, do you get maps, anything I should in advance? Thanks.

Drizake123 on
  • Options
    NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hml151 wrote: »
    NeuralLink wrote: »
    I'm a disabled combat vet and I have difficulty standing for extended periods of time. I'd like to get a medical pass. I'm not visibly disabled, what forms or notes or whatever should I bring to make sure I can get the pass?
    You need to contact pax directly to get a medical pass they will inform you if you need anything and how the process works. I have had to do one this year for spinal injury. They are very accommodating.

How do I go about doing that? Is there a certain email address I need to use or some other way to do it?

NeuralLink on
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    NeuralLink wrote: »
    How do I go about doing that? Is there a certain email address I need to use or some other way to do it?
    I sent you an email directly, I hope it helps.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I think maybe I will wear it only one day; Sunday or Friday. Thanks for the insight.

The drill: The drill is real... it could do harm if people were not careful around it. I think you are right that I should keep it away from crowds.
    This is sort of overkill advice, but the way I see it there are three separate bars to pass when it comes to handling risky cosplay.

The common sense test is could it accidentally hurt someone. If you take your eyes off the drill tip for a moment, someone else (maybe a kid in tow) isn't looking where they're walking and they walk into your drill, eye or ear first, what would the damage be? If the costume can be modified so there's no risk to others, and it's obvious there's no risk to others, then you don't have much to worry about. I don't think your costume would be any less awesome if there was a large flat gunmetal-grey cushion attached to the tip of your drill.

Separate from that there's permission from convention organizers, who could potentially make an exception and allow something risky if they can trust your judgement, and if certain restrictions on your behavior are stipulated. I'm sure you know this, but PAX convention organizers can be trusted to make decisions that fairly balance awesomeness against risk, and I'm confident they can easily see how awesome that costume would be. You'd have to contact them if you wanted to get permission in advance.

Above even that is the opinion of public safety authorities. PA organizers understand what does and doesn't work pretty well, so they will most likely stop you if something crosses the line. It's important to understand that there can be no absolute permission, though, and it's possible PA organizers might give you the OK, and then the fire marshall or local law enforcement might insist otherwise.

So it's always good to have contingency plans. If your hotel room is near the convention center, you can always just stash the drill in your room if things go badly.

My opinion isn't anything official -- I'm just an unpaid volunteer -- but I'd say if the drill is the same one seen in that video, you should probably get an organizer's OK in private.

Hope this helps!

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of cosplay I had another question I forgot to ask. Seeing as this is my first gaming convention and probably my last for quite a while I have been considering making an outfit to wear as it seems like it could be fun. I was wondering though what percentage of attendees dress up roughly? I know that I will feel a little silly and embarrassed at first, but if a good bit of people do it I know I'll get over it quick.

Drizake123 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Drizake123 wrote: »
    Speaking of cosplay I had another question I forgot to ask. Seeing as this is my first gaming convention and probably my last for quite a while I have been considering making an outfit to wear as it seems like it could be fun. I was wondering though what percentage of attendees dress up roughly? I know that I will feel a little silly and embarrassed at first, but if a good bit of people do it I know I'll get over it quick.

Psst, there's a cosplay thread for those types of questions. It's been kinda dying, so come join and chat with us about it!

PAX is a much less cosplay-oriented convention than, say, Sakuracon or any other anime conventions. You definitely won't be ridiculed (unless you're Waluigi or something ;)) but expect a lot more attention on you than if you were cosplaying at a different con.

I'd say 100-400 people cosplay at PAX. While it seems like a relatively big number, it's really tiny percentage-wise. Plus, PAX is so welcoming it's only cooler if you're one of the ones that stands out.

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'd say less than 2%, probably less than 1% dress up. Different Enforcers may have different ideas about how many because the areas they work in may attract more or fewer cosplayers.

I don't think the number should have any bearing on whether or not you should though.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok thanks, I'll probably still do it. That was my main worry was if you get ridiculed, but if I will still fit right in then I don't think I'll have a problem even if i do feel like a goof.

Drizake123 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PAX is sort of the place where all the formerly-ridiculed-kids go as adults, to collectively celebrate our weird gamery awesomeness.

You'll be fine. :-)

mspencer on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drizake123 wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I'll probably still do it. That was my main worry was if you get ridiculed, but if I will still fit right in then I don't think I'll have a problem even if i do feel like a goof.

This is PAX. You're worried about being ridiculed for doing something nerdy at PAX?

This is PAX.

You've come home. You're going to be lauded, not ridiculed.

Well, unless you're Boner Robin, anyway.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well like I said its my first time so I'm still learning what to expect. Everything I'm hearing has be very excited, sounds like gamer heaven. I can't wait.

Drizake123 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    mspencer wrote: »

This is sort of overkill advice, but the way I see it there are three separate bars to pass when it comes to handling risky cosplay.

The common sense test is could it accidentally hurt someone. If you take your eyes off the drill tip for a moment, someone else (maybe a kid in tow) isn't looking where they're walking and they walk into your drill, eye or ear first, what would the damage be? If the costume can be modified so there's no risk to others, and it's obvious there's no risk to others, then you don't have much to worry about. I don't think your costume would be any less awesome if there was a large flat gunmetal-grey cushion attached to the tip of your drill.

Separate from that there's permission from convention organizers, who could potentially make an exception and allow something risky if they can trust your judgement, and if certain restrictions on your behavior are stipulated. I'm sure you know this, but PAX convention organizers can be trusted to make decisions that fairly balance awesomeness against risk, and I'm confident they can easily see how awesome that costume would be. You'd have to contact them if you wanted to get permission in advance.

Above even that is the opinion of public safety authorities. PA organizers understand what does and doesn't work pretty well, so they will most likely stop you if something crosses the line. It's important to understand that there can be no absolute permission, though, and it's possible PA organizers might give you the OK, and then the fire marshall or local law enforcement might insist otherwise.

So it's always good to have contingency plans. If your hotel room is near the convention center, you can always just stash the drill in your room if things go badly.

My opinion isn't anything official -- I'm just an unpaid volunteer -- but I'd say if the drill is the same one seen in that video, you should probably get an organizer's OK in private.

Hope this helps!

I would like to take your advice. Could you tell me, either in this thread or in a PM, how to get ahold of the people that I need to talk to? I would appreciate it! :)

Katherine on
    signature-1.png
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Generally in the line to get into PAX on the first day I see a few random folks dressed up as videogame folk (Mario, Zelda, Link, etc.). Once PAX is truly going, however, it isn't that odd to see a group of folks not only in costume but acting it up, and not just videogame costumes. And once in a while you get something truly cool, like a group of folks ambushing people with one of the "Bad Horse" letters from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, playing the singing cowboys.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If anyone is wondering how to meet people before the convention proper, remember that the Third Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament happens the night before wherein everyone gets drunk and friendly.

tek on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And once in a while you get something truly cool, like a group of folks ambushing people with one of the "Bad Horse" letters from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, playing the singing cowboys.

Are you serious? My excitement for this convention just went up ten-fold.:mrgreen:

Katherine on
    signature-1.png
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And once in a while you get something truly cool, like a group of folks ambushing people with one of the "Bad Horse" letters from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, playing the singing cowboys.

Are you serious? My excitement for this convention just went up ten-fold.:mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3v_Q1RAyE

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wow. Just wow. Alright I do not want to get this thread derailed any more than I have, thanks for the advice guys!

Katherine on
    signature-1.png
  • Options
    doowttamdoowttam Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I had a question about the free play areas and how board games work there.

For instance I'd love to play a game of Settlers or Carcassonne with people. Is it going to be the kind of thing where I can walk up to people and possibly join their game? Do people play a lot of board games there?

doowttam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I would like to take your advice. Could you tell me, either in this thread or in a PM, how to get ahold of the people that I need to talk to? I would appreciate it! :)
    I'll see if I can get someone to look at this thread, but organizers are understandably busy.

In general, if people have questions the best ways to get answers are to email an existing customer service contact from where you bought your pass -- I don't know what this is because I've never bought one -- or to post on the forum here.

mspencer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    doowttam wrote: »
    I had a question about the free play areas and how board games work there.

For instance I'd love to play a game of Settlers or Carcassonne with people. Is it going to be the kind of thing where I can walk up to people and possibly join their game? Do people play a lot of board games there?
    There's a couple ways to answer this. Socially, yes this is absolutely supported. There's an entire tabletop department, with a free lending library (where we hold a photo ID for collateral), and lots of open gaming space full of tables and chairs. Within reason you should be able to approach people playing a game, especially a common game, and see if they're interested in taking on another player, teaching someone a new game, or something similar.

Formal LFG (looking-for-group / looking-for-game) support is in flux, and I don't know what's planned. In the past we've had a whiteboard or chalkboard where people can write invitations to join games. We've tried to have a twitter feed of some kind in 09 I think, but SMS messages are frequently delayed in areas of high congestion. We may also have an "LFG" area to wait in, where if someone wants to play a game and doesn't have a group to play with yet, they can wait there and try to attract new players.

We've been brainstorming ways to help people find games and get groups together. It's an interesting problem, and technology is of little help when SMS messages can be delayed for so long. (Only tech-based solution I can think of is some sort of Asterisk PBX with a reliable VoIP provider, tons of bandwidth, and tons of paid minutes, because actual phone calls tend to go through immediately. But there are many good reasons why that wouldn't work well, or would be too expensive or unreliable to be practical.)

mspencer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There are SMS issues? What's a typical delay if so?

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Now you've got me questioning where I heard this. :-) I don't remember any specific delay figures, but I know people have said SMS messages have been delayed 10 or 15 minutes at times. I think it's a matter of network congestion, with so many cell phones in one area, and so many of them smartphones with data plans.

mspencer on
  • Options
    doowttamdoowttam Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    There's a couple ways to answer this.

Thanks for the answers. I'm looking forward to panels and the expo floor, but I want to make sure I get some tabletop gaming in there somewhere.

doowttam on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Now you've got me questioning where I heard this. :-) I don't remember any specific delay figures, but I know people have said SMS messages have been delayed 10 or 15 minutes at times. I think it's a matter of network congestion, with so many cell phones in one area, and so many of them smartphones with data plans.

I was sent a text message on saturday evening letting me know that I should come out to dinner with some friends.

It arrived on monday while me and said friends were on the the greyhound back to vancouver.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Right. Now imagine that text message was an interested player looking to join your tabletop game, from yesterday. Or worse, a notification you signed up for saying the line for such-and-such panel is at 50% capacity and you should hurry up and get in line, an hour after the panel ends. X__X

mspencer on
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hi first time PAX goer, 1st time posting in these forums,

I answer to Savagehart, Rocky, Daddy, and "Hey you, the fat guy with glasses, beard and tee-shirt.

I'm 51, former Southern Science Fiction Con goer

I will be Solo at PAX (my lovely wife and twin 4 yo girls will be visiting family in Seattle) as this will be my VACATION from being a Stay @ home Dad. I hope I remember how to carry on a "grown up" conversation.

No questions (yet) just wanted to say "Hey, how are ya?"

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    savagehart wrote: »

I answer to Savagehart, Rocky, Daddy, and "Hey you, the fat guy with glasses, beard and tee-shirt.

I will be Solo at PAX (my lovely wife and twin 4 yo girls will be visiting family in Seattle) as this will be my VACATION from being a Stay @ home Dad. I hope I remember how to carry on a "grown up" conversation.

"grown ups" conversations are non existant at PAX! So do not fret! In fact, most of us will be squealing little children giggling over videogames.

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Attentions first time PAX go-ers! This might be the perfect year to come, as Cliffy B will be attending PAX this year! ....well as he says on his twitter.

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HEY... Im newish, to Prime at least, I went to east and as luck would have it Im coming to both, I hope to see everyone at the pub crawl, pre pax dinner, and to newbies who are newer than I let me tell you something.

Pax People while some of us may be a bit agressive sarcastic cynical and general asses, tend to also be the nicest people in the world who would have your back in a second.

The friends I made at east are the ones Im looking forward to seeing at prime, and Im looking forward to the new people Im going to meet.

When Wil Wheaton says pax is home, hes right, its a family and its easy to become fast friends there.

On more of an advice note, check out the PAX IRC I think theres a thread somewhere around here on it. Its where I met most of the people I became friends with.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    savagehart wrote: »

"grown ups" conversations are non existant at PAX! So do not fret! In fact, most of us will be squealing little children giggling over videogames.

I define "grown up" conversation as any that does not include topics involving preschool or preschool cartoons.

I plan on LOTS of "squealing little children giggling over videogames."

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Will be my first PAX too, so excited and looking forward to it all :D

EscoBlades on
    tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • Options
    BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm looking forward to my first PAX. I have wanted to go since 2004. I'm looking forward to the panels and BYOC. Hope to meet a ton of new people too!

Binny on
This discussion has been closed.