As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT]erine the Great

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I wish I had stuck with playing piano longer as a kid. I can read notes but the more complicated stuff takes me a long time and I really don't have dexterity or skill to sight-read anything. I have to practice one hand at a time, and like a quarter of a bar at a time until it becomes muscle memory. Trying to learn Piano Bar now.

bombardier on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I always hated reading music and my piano teacher would yell at me for sounding everything out by ear instead :P

I can sight-read, but I also have to do it one hand at a time, and after a few measures, I'll learn the other hand, then I'll put them together.....and I try to remember it as soon as I can, so I don't have to sight-read anymore.

That Gigue piece I posted above I actually learned all by myself, through sight-reading, and then memorizing everything...but it took me awhile. I'm envious of those people who can look at a piece they've never seen/played before, and sight-read/play it immediately.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Haha wow, that does look fun. I have about four or five books of Bach music, but that one's nowhere to be found in any of them. I'm going to have to order the sheet music for it.

It kinda reminds me of a few sections in Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique op13. Once you hit the fast parts in that and your hands start skipping over each other, it just becomes way too much fun. Once I reach the point where I can play a piece without the sheet music, I can really let my hands fly around.

I've been playing piano since I was 2. My favorite piece to play to this day is one of the first I learned when I finally started taking lessons: Debussy's Clair de Lune. It's so incredibly relaxing and has some of the nicest harmonies I've ever heard. I used to play it on my old Boston baby grand before I had to sell the instrument to move back to grad school (which I'm still heartbroken about... I miss that old piano).

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    dear bloody hell I love Bach

Tam on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so after a day, the dogs are getting along great. I'd just praise ninja every time he so much as looked at miley, and now he's great with her climbing all over him.

The problem comes when they play, though. She's a tiny, two month old chipom. She weighs all of a pound. Ninja weighs twenty. Now, I totally went into this knowing that he was going to make her cry once or twice. That's just how dogs come to an understanding what their limits are. The problem is, instead of backing off, Ninja got excited and pretty aggressive. I'm not really sure that that was about, but if I physically restrain him until she stops crying, he's okay.

So I'm kinda scared to leave the two of them alone together. Right now I keep her in a crate when I'm gone but at some point I want to let the two of them hang out together. That was the whole reason I got a second dog, was so that Ninja would have someone to keep him company while I was at work. So I don't know what to do, I've never encountered anything like this before.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just caught the posts that went up must before mine, and HOLY CRAP ND you and I have the same mental approach to music. I cannot sight-read for crap. Usually I end up slowly working my way through a piece, one hand at a time, before ultimately combining the two in an effort to instill the muscle memory and eliminate the need for sheet music altogether.

I also have perfect pitch and can usually figure out how to play something I hear after only the first or second time (which actually made a bit of an obstacle for my old piano teachers to overcome -- they HATED that I would try to play a piece a different way from how THEY wanted me to play it, but it's how I had heard it before and instinctively wanted to imitate). My repertoire of video game/film soundtracks is almost as extensive as my classical music. I used to hook my keyboard up to my Mac and play Mario music over Ventrilo back in my old WoW days.

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so after a day, the dogs are getting along great. I'd just praise ninja every time he so much as looked at miley, and now he's great with her climbing all over him.

The problem comes when they play, though. She's a tiny, two month old chipom. She weighs all of a pound. Ninja weighs twenty. Now, I totally went into this knowing that he was going to make her cry once or twice. That's just how dogs come to an understanding what their limits are. The problem is, instead of backing off, Ninja got excited and pretty aggressive. I'm not really sure that that was about, but if I physically restrain him until she stops crying, he's okay.

So I'm kinda scared to leave the two of them alone together. Right now I keep her in a crate when I'm gone but at some point I want to let the two of them hang out together. That was the whole reason I got a second dog, was so that Ninja would have someone to keep him company while I was at work. So I don't know what to do, I've never encountered anything like this before.

Seems like you've got it under control. How much bigger is Miley going to get?

Tam on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    She's a chihuahua mix so.... probably not that much bigger?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cover the puppy in hot lava. That should keep the big dog from attacking her.

Paradise on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just teach the big dog the game "the floor is lava" and let the little one walk around freely while the big one is cowering on a stool wondering how to get to his doggy bed.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Just teach the big dog the game "the floor is lava" and let the little one walk around freely while the big one is cowering on a stool wondering how to get to his doggy bed.

Makes sense to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYEualAq-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiMqdICzJIM

Paradise on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Local SPCAs usually have some sort of behavioral worker, maybe call and ask for tips?

Iruka on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Someone just sent this email to the entire department:
    > > winning the Pope's election

I wonder who else "won" but this Ratzinger douche himself when he got
    "elected". I certainly don't feel like a winner whenever that blimp
    opens his 14th-century mouth.

Happy betting and flag waving though. Best regards,

ah, the famous German tact.

tynic on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Unsurprisingly, Get Him to the Greek was pretty hilarious!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ugghhh still feeling down. How do you guys deal with lady troubles?

PROX on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    PROX wrote: »

Hot drink and a lie-down.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Listen to loud music and clean obsessively.

Iruka on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Prox, time heals all wounds. It's OK to feel sad, just don't stay that way... that is the road to depression. Spend time with other people, don't mope around in your room.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Prox, time heals all wounds. It's OK to feel sad, just don't stay that way... that is the road to depression. Spend time with other people, don't mope around in your room.

Yeah, you can't allow yourself to stay upset. It's not healthy.

If it helps, remember that everybody has to deal with these kinds of problems.

edit: If you want to take Iruka's advice about the music, I have a suggestion that might be a little complicated (but I love it so much).

Paradise on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like to play awesome videogames through rough relationship times. Like last time times where shit, I played through Bionic Commando Rearmed compulsively for like a month. And now when I think back to what I felt like during the breakup, all I can think about is how awesome Bionic Commando was.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When I broke up with my ex, I worked 12+ hours for like 2 weeks. It helped me get my mind off her and the overtime I made that month was INSANE!!!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If i had a job that'd be great.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    prox:
    proxcat.jpg
    You cant be sad with a fat cat.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    prox:
    proxcat.jpg
    You cant be sad with a fat cat.

Baw thanks ruka' that cheered me up a lot. I went a bike ride to burn off some crazies. Still kinda down but at least kept my mind off things for bit. I don't know what to do now. I reallly liked this girl. I felt like there was a very strong sense of being kindred spirits since we both have the same problems and like the same things and feel the same way about stuff.

But she doesnt want to be in a relationship and is confused about her sexuality and so it sucks because if her parents didnt put so much pressure on her I'd have a more concrete rejection. But i shouldnt keep thinking bout this but I can't stop.

PROX on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    what about being friends?

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No things are cool. We're still friends. She thinks I'm the coolest guys she's met and she really likes talking to me. She just doesnt want to be a relationship right now.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man you were making it sound like you'd never see her again. You should appreciate the fact that you're friends right now, and that she might come around some day.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yeah, thats good advice... hold a torch for her. *rolleyes*

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well by then there's a good chance that he'll be over her.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Im just sad I got rejected. Im glad we are able to stay friends. I just need to avoid causing any trouble. I just need some comforting friend right now.

PROX on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pour all of your pain and misery into your work and make Sword Dog as a monument to your angst.

Actually it sounds like something you shouldn't let bug you for too long. Think of it like not getting a job you were really hoping for. It sucks and might make you feel kind worthless for a bit, but you just mosey right along to the next one.

Also one of the most fruitless endeavors in relationship-making is waiting for someone to "come around" and realize what a great person you are/suddenly want a relationship/switch sexual preferences in your favor. Rejection is rejection. She didn't strike when the iron was hot that's her problem, dog.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also one of the most fruitless endeavors in relationship-making is waiting for someone to "come around" and realize what a great person you are/suddenly want a relationship/switch sexual preferences in your favor. Rejection is rejection. She didn't strike when the iron was hot that's her problem, dog.

Yeah that. Also, the more you build up a girl in your head before you act, the harder you gunna fall. All that "kindred spirit" junk shouldn't even be there before you make a move. Thats for later, when you actually have a foothold to work on.
    Next time you think you're attracted to a girl, just ask her out as soon as you get that feeling. If she says no, then you havnt wasted any of your time and it's alot easier to move on. The disappointment you feel now is because of all that time you invested in your head.

Also, instead of doing laundry, I figured I'd just be a dork instead.

27947_10150209203255611_712745610_13181231_8169053_n.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Where the hell did you get that gibs?

Also, the amount Im researching guns so that I can draw them is obnoxious, and entirely your fault, because I know someone like you would look at my clear lack of knowledge and shake your head.

If you ever do another tutorial, you should talk about realistic stances and recoil.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I got it in Italy, which is where I was for the last month (photos to come, sometime soonish). It's a decent reproduction, and didn't break the bank. There was a couple antique stores in Florence that had a whole crapton of 12-16th century weapons and armor. Absolutely GORGEOUS, and alot of stuff I'd never seen before irl (like indian katars and guilded ottoman flintlocks). Sadly, as most of it was a good 500 years old, the multiple-thousand euro prices were a bit out of my range.

Also, good on the guns :D
    If you need some help on stances and whatnot I can hook you up with some training manuals that have some boring diagrams.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lady troubles, huh? I got a shitton of those. Right now I'm seriously debating on whether I ask this chick who I've liked forever if she's interested in one of my friends or not. I don't know if this is a good idea but I really want to know.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    McGibs wrote: »
    I got it in Italy, which is where I was for the last month (photos to come, sometime soonish). It's a decent reproduction, and didn't break the bank. There was a couple antique stores in Florence that had a whole crapton of 12-16th century weapons and armor. Absolutely GORGEOUS, and alot of stuff I'd never seen before irl (like indian katars and guilded ottoman flintlocks). Sadly, as most of it was a good 500 years old, the multiple-thousand euro prices were a bit out of my range.

Also, good on the guns :D
    If you need some help on stances and whatnot I can hook you up with some training manuals that have some boring diagrams.

dude, training manuals would be awesome. I'm trying to figure stuff out in my head and the simple "this is a picture of this gun" and the military channel "this is what this gun does" doesn't really get into parts, stances and shit that I actually need to know. I'm just absorbing stuff and sketching for now.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh thank god. I started talking to her and when I was ready to jump off a cliff, she told me she's having some trouble. Now I can move away from being a selfish ass to actually being a good friend

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    do you think its bad im chatting with this girl right now? cuz maybe Im worsening my own mind state.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Prox: As a girl who has had a variation of you pine over her for an entire school year before really moving on, Take some space. Realize no matter how cool this girl is, a relationship is not the key to happiness. You will think that you're being super cool about it and she cant tell that you're not moving on at all, but she'll be able to tell. I'm not saying do this for her, either, I'm saying do it for you.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    if it's making you anxious or uncomfortable, then probably, yeah. Take some time off from her, you don't have to be friends right away.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
This discussion has been closed.