Options

The Legend of [Zelda]: Skyward Sword

Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital ConquistadorLondonRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
zframesplash2e.png

Welcome to the Zelda thread, where the breathy crush of fans is both wonderful and a little pathetic.

ZeldaNew%20Ultrahires%20small.png

This is going to be a better OP at some point.

p8fnsZD.png
Flippy_D on

• Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    repostin'

Flippy_D wrote: »
    • Easy. Easy easy easy. Criminally easy.

i'll admit WW was pretty easy

but how ANYONE was supposed to figure out how to get the fire and ice arrows i'll never know
    i guess there were people who already had the ballad of gales, but i don't really remember what i did the one time i encountered that red frog dude

and then, being stuck, teleport to every spot they could on the map? i don't even know

was there some hint i missed? an npc thats all like "hey bro did you ever fly into a volcano before it probably has magic arrows"

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xwrath- I guess we will have to agree to disagree. To me the question was not 'will there be an island' but 'what will be on that island'. and that did vary alot.

Okay let's try something new. Which Zelda game do you think has the best bosses?

Phantom Hourglass was some of the most fun I've had with large monsters in a zelda game. Some of them were actually challenging! I was shocked!

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, but I can't relate to you guys who claim to have beaten WW Ganondorf in like 50 seconds the first time.

My initial strategy was basically slashing and stabbing like a madman, but all it resulted was me chugging blue potions. I remember I almost died in the end as I used up all my potions and it was fucking awesome. No one will ever say otherwise.

Likewise, all you people who think they were smart by rolling under Ganon in OoT. That's just cheating, man.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Well, it was obvious that the grid system was how they handled streaming in new islands. Each square stored all the objects and geometry, and when you got near an edge, it would start pulling in data for the next square.

The only two solutions to this are:

* increase the number of squares visually represented. This results in squares that don't have anything. People bitch and complain about empty squares.

* reduce the number of squares visually represented. Now you have multiple islands in a square, but people bitch about the "small" world because now instead of 12x12 it's 6x6. Also, location becomes harder.
    Orrrr they could have put more in the goddamn square.

Seriously, most of the islands were tiny little throwaway things with almost nothing on them. If you can fit Dragon Roost and Windfall Island onto a square, then you can't exactly claim technical limitations. Now of course you couldn't have a map full of giant islands, but far too many of them were little areas of boring nothing. I remember being vaguely excited about the island up in the north with all the jelly chus after I realized it was more than just a patch of grass - but the content was all explored and concluded with in about five minutes.

It was just disappointing.

Meanwhile in TP there was, for instance, that deep crack in the ground just south of castle town which I discovered by nearly falling into it, and which provided a pretty taxing little puzzle that took several attempts. There was also the spinner stuff in the canyon way out east. And a bunch of other little things.

edit: navigating the area around the zora waterfall was a puzzle in of itself.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    Sorry, but I can't relate to you guys who claim to have beaten WW Ganondorf in like 50 seconds the first time.
    Sorry Chen, you might just suck. The fight was literally over in under a minute for me.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    no u

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Of all things, the first gripe that came to mind with TP was the fact that they made Link right-handed.

I know, extremely minor point and not at all important in the grand scheme of things. It's just that he's always been left-handed and it seemed they eschewed tradition in order to make it analogous to the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo. Meh.

That's because all they did for the Wii version was mirror the entire world.

Believe it not, this was cheaper than going back and adding alternate left handed animations.

Which is going to totally fuck me up if I ever play the Wii version (played it on Gamecube, which has left-handed Link)
    Can the goddamned brackets craze fucking die already?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Xwrath- I guess we will have to agree to disagree. To me the question was not 'will there be an island' but 'what will be on that island'. and that did vary alot.
    I just don't see why we couldn't have found islands just by, you know, seeing them on the horizon, and dispensed with the grid altogether.
    Okay let's try something new. Which Zelda game do you think has the best bosses?

Phantom Hourglass was some of the most fun I've had with large monsters in a zelda game. Some of them were actually challenging! I was shocked!
    Minish Cap has pretty good bosses. So, if you count it, does Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland.
    TP's bosses were variable, but when they worked (fossil or dragon), they really worked.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    repostin'

but how ANYONE was supposed to figure out how to get the fire and ice arrows i'll never know
    i guess there were people who already had the ballad of gales, but i don't really remember what i did the one time i encountered that red frog dude

and then, being stuck, teleport to every spot they could on the map? i don't even know

was there some hint i missed? an npc thats all like "hey bro did you ever fly into a volcano before it probably has magic arrows"

Personally? I got the Ballad of Gales almost as soon as I could (my thought process: "now that I have arrows, I can fight back against those cyclones. I never want to see those things ever again so let's go kill the source"). Soon after that I had to go to the Forsaken Fortress again, so I used the song to go to the warp zone closest to the Forsaken Fortress. That happens to be the Mother and Child Islands. Once inside, the fairy gave me a "hey dude, come back once someone more special than your sister is revealed", so I came back after the whole Zelda reveal.

Enlong on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hope we get to play as grizzled veteran Link some day. All scarred up and with a grey beard.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry Chen, you might just suck. The fight was literally over in under a minute for me.

It was a short fight, but damn if it wasn't fun.
    IN THE HEAD!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    The WW version of Ganondorf is pretty much the best character design Nintendo's ever done as far as I'm concerned

I mean, come on

300px-Ganondorf_Wind_Waker.png

Amazing

I keep praying that First4Figures will do a statue of him.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For what it's worth, having Link kill Ganondorf in WW accidentally with a mis-performed parry was brilliant. Sorta rubbed it in that you're just a country kid compared to OoT Link.

I really liked the parry/dodge mechanic, I missed it in TP.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You know what I would like to see?

I'd like to see a combat system less based on hearts and more based on skill. Currently, most enemies do maybe two hearts damage, maximum, and therefore once you get a bunch of hearts they become more of an annoyance than a challenge.

I'd like to see big, lumbering assholes like the Hinox outside the Dark World Temple (lttp) return. I want to see enemies that will quite simply destroy you unless you have a bunch of hearts or fight well - subsquently making it possible to really push yourself without deliberately avoiding hearts, kind of like fighting high level monsters in an RPG. Remember the Iron Knuckles? Bring back the Stalfos imho.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Sign me up to the club that apparently didn't barrel through that fight in a minute flat.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'd like to see a combat system less based on hearts and more based on skill. Currently, most enemies do maybe two hearts damage, maximum, and therefore once you get a bunch of hearts they become more of an annoyance than a challenge.

I'd like to see big, lumbering assholes like the Hinox outside the Dark World Temple (lttp) return. I want to see enemies that will quite simply destroy you unless you have a bunch of hearts or fight well - subsquently making it possible to really push yourself without deliberately avoiding hearts, kind of like fighting high level monsters in an RPG. Remember the Iron Knuckles? Bring back the Stalfos imho.

I think Twilight Princess did a better job of making you take a little bit more damage then in Wind Waker (where you usually only took quarter of a heart of damage from enemies), but I think it could be harder. I vaguely remember Wind Waker having a "Hard" difficulty setting, did it make it much harder? I think they really should add a difficulty setting or something, which jacks up the damage you take. In the original game, you took pretty significant damage until you got those rings that helped reduce damage. Zelda 2 the same way, but you got a spell that helped with damage. Maybe they should follow that route again, an item or spell you get later which can help with damage.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Iron Knuckles didn't really test skill so much as how many bombs you had, but I get the point. And I dunno, I've always found combat kind of superfluous in Zeldas beyond the first two.

enlightenedbum on
    The idea that your vote is a moral statement about you or who you vote for is some backwards ass libertarian nonsense. Your vote is about society. Vote to protect the vulnerable.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, you had to be careful when fighting the Iron Knuckles. I think they could do six hearts of damage in one hit.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Sign me up to the club that apparently didn't barrel through that fight in a minute flat.

I don't remember how long it took me, but he was way too easy. I died the first time (forgot to bring any fairies), but when I came back loaded with fairies I didn't even end up using a single one. I annihilated him, barely took any damage.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The second time doesn't count. You died. Ganondorf kicked your ass. Flawless victory.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can't you just ignore Heart Pieces after boss fights in Zelda games? I need to do a 3 heart challenge at some point.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The second time doesn't count. You died. Ganondorf kicked your ass. Flawless victory.

come on man, at least get your video game terms right. This means the victor didn't take any damage, totally false.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No, I'm serious. Like how I only had faeries during the fight in OoT the first time and forgot to stock on magic potions. Once my magic meter ran out Ganon kicked my ass Chuck Norris style.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In my mind, the perfect 'next' Zelda is something like this:

Pre-industrial revolution steampunkish setting - some machines but not high industry. Think Hayao Miyazaki style (Nausicaa or Laputa for reference points). A large world, maybe a little bigger than Twilight Princess, that has numerous little villages and a couple of major towns. These towns are pretty busy and have, to an extent, some scripted behaviour á la Majora's Mask (of course it couldn't be as exact, but you get the idea - non-vip NPCs at the market or bar, etc). Bandits. Canal systems. Goron industrial miners. Zora river traders. Gerudo mechanics.

However, this sort of 1650's world is delicate and has to be heavily guarded, with an untamed Gormenghast-esque wilderness just off the beaten track. Travelling at night is dangerous. Guard towers and outposts are dotted around. Mercenaries and wanderers make a living by guiding caravans. Deep in the forests, hermits and witches scrabble a living. If you venture even further into the untamed lands, you start coming across magical beings, monsters and SOTC style landscapes. Lost and forgotten ruins lie crumbling under the weight of their ivy. The familiar gradually becomes strange. Ancient desert palaces have been possessed by entities unknown. Here in these outlying regions are hints that the world used to be a very different place. Old riverbeds crisscross dry sierras.

Meanwhile, a flame-haired baron of industry has come from across the sea, in a ship that streaks the sky with black smoke...

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ... don't the buildings when destroyed leave jugs of magic laying about?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, it's a little late when you fired all your light arrows, naturally thinking arrows would hurt anyone especially ones imbued with light. Apparently arrows only stun demonic deities. The more you know.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    my bad, my blunder Chen

i want to replay OOT now haha.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    repostin'

Well, you pass right by the island with the Fire Arrows on the way to the Korok Forest level.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing/Fable + Zelda Engine/Universe.

For me... perfect game.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gibbs wrote: »
    repostin'

Well, you pass right by the island with the Fire Arrows on the way to the Korok Forest level.

I think how it's supposed to happen is that you go to the islands marked as the temples, shoot the fish, and they tell you about the Fire and Ice islands. If you shoot those fish, they tell you about the Mother and Child Isles. If you sail there and shoot that fish, it says something about the tornado guy and how he can help you fly or something.

I haven't played it in a few years but I think that's how it goes. Shooting fish nets you important game clues.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing/Fable + Zelda Engine/Universe.

For me... perfect game.

I think you should go take a look at Little King's Story.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of which, how was I supposed to know that shooting the sun at a specific time on a specific place would wield fire arrows? Fuck that shit. I had to use a guide to figure that one out.

I am forever ashamed.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    so when exactly is E3 and the Nintendo conference?

TelMarine on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »

I don't remember how long it took me, but he was way too easy. I died the first time (forgot to bring any fairies), but when I came back loaded with fairies I didn't even end up using a single one. I annihilated him, barely took any damage.

I didn't take any damage (though the same can be said for OoT and TP), it just took me more than 60 seconds.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Gibbs wrote: »
    repostin'

I think how it's supposed to happen is that you go to the islands marked as the temples, shoot the fish, and they tell you about the Fire and Ice islands. If you shoot those fish, they tell you about the Mother and Child Isles. If you sail there and shoot that fish, it says something about the tornado guy and how he can help you fly or something.

I haven't played it in a few years but I think that's how it goes. Shooting fish nets you important game clues.

wait, you can just shoot the fish? I always used bait.

Food on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It would be great if we see some Zelda action at PAX this year.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dammit the Ocean Temple is annoying. I don't mind having to do it so many times if it weren't for the time limit. Does the big temple in Spirit Tracks have a time limit?

I know I've got plenty of time, it's just frustrating to be under constant pressure.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man, my idea is apparently unpopular =<

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man, my idea is apparently unpopular =<

It's a good idea, though I think similar things have been bandied about before, possibly by you.
    I would also like to see space zelda.
    Fighter ship Epona with a Navi computer.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dammit the Ocean Temple is annoying. I don't mind having to do it so many times if it weren't for the time limit. Does the big temple in Spirit Tracks have a time limit?

I know I've got plenty of time, it's just frustrating to be under constant pressure.

It does not have a time limit, Spirit Tracks was mighty fun. Now I have my own DS and I want to play it again...

Anyway my own Zelda playlist is woefully lacking, I've not played basically anything before Phantom Hourglass/TP, oh and there were a couple on Gameboy/Advance too but I forget which. I shall have to rectify this.

Anyway in a new Zelda I'd like to see some giant SotC type bosses, ones you can climb/hookshot around, I think that might work pretty well.

Halos Nach Tariff on