As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Games Live: Coming to a PBS near you

SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
video-games-live-logo.jpg

Huh-ba-wha? Video Games Live? Is that some sort of Halo LARP?

Pfft! Halo LARP! Video Games Live is, according to wikipedia, "a concert series...consist[ing] of segments of video game music performed by a live orchestra with video footage and synchronized lighting and effects". In other words, it's a bunch of people with a bunch of instruments playing a bunch of music from all ranges of video game history (Mario, Halo, Kingdom Hearts, MGS, Megaman, FFVII, etc) while tossing up a bunch of images and a bunch of live actors both in front of and on the screens behind the orchestra.

Color me intrigued, me! Who are the masterminds behind this effort?

Thanks for asking me, me! The two guys behind this effort are

172994.jpg
Tommy Tallarico of G4 fame

and

2163248.jpg
Jack Wall a composer with such games as Mass Effect and Myst under his belt.

If we may crib from Mythbusters for a moment, you could say that together, these guys have worked on over 270 video games. They have not blown up a cement truck, however.

Sounds nice! Well, reads nice. I haven't actually heard any of their music....

Fret no more, gentle reader! From youtube:

Kingdom Hearts

Metal Gear Solid

and Halo

are just a taste of the music they may or may not cover during one of their concerts.

Okay, so this sounds pretty awesome. But I _____ (Broke My Leg, Broke My Other Leg, Broke Both of My Legs, Lost My Car, Hate Other Humans, Am Slowly Merging With My Couch And Computer With The Intent of Bringing About Singularity) and therefore won't be able to attend the New Orleans concert in early July.

Thankfully, your local PBS station is here for the rescue. Starting on July 31st and extending throughout August (depending on your local station) they will be broadcasting the New Orleans concert. Read - nay, watch - about it right below this very phrase. I know. Shocking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzHLeDBKprA

So, when does this shindig go down again?

July 31st and through August, depending on your local PBS station. If you're a dirty communist/capitalist/Miss Marple fan angry about your timeslot being bumped for those vidya games and missed it, they'll also be putting out a Bluray/DVD of the concert.

I can't wait!

Neither can I!

SimpsonsParadox on

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does Tallarico still compose videogame music or is his time going into this show? Earthworm Jim had some catchy tunes.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I came like this close to Tommy Tallarico backstage at last year's event in Dundee (I was in the costume contest - there were little kids dressed as Link and Zelda, the rest of us never stood a chance). Dude's actually really short. He does really like Irn Bru though so I gotta give him points for taste.

During the Metal Gear Solid piece there was a cardboard box following a guy dressed as a soldier around. When the song ended the guy in the box stood up and, surprise! It was Tallarico himself. Probably the only guy small enough to fit into it.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm actually thinking about going to this next week. Video got me hyped.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I went to VGL in 2009 and it was amazing. everyone should go if they get the chance to. I even got pushed aside by Tommy Tallarico's bodyguard. Apparently that piece of the lobby I was standing in was on was in his way.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I went to the show about a month ago in Minneapolis, it was awesome. Neil Gaimen was in the audience. I highly recommend going if you get a chance.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I actually got the soundtrack from Fry's in Vegas awhile ago. Tommy certainly seems to like adding vocal flourishes to music.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh wow. This is just full of epic win. They've gotta be doing a pledge drive. They don't run something this awesome if they can't make donations off of it.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

You will have such a good time if you go. There's nothing like
    rocking out to "One-Winged Angel" with full orchestra and chorus
    and realizing the entire crowd is going absolutely berserk for the same reason you are. It's going to be awesome. Trust me.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Does Tallarico still compose videogame music or is his time going into this show? Earthworm Jim had some catchy tunes.

I believe video games live is the only musically inclined project he's working on, but I may be wrong.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I went to VGL in 2009 and it was amazing. everyone should go if they get the chance to. I even got pushed aside by Tommy Tallarico's bodyguard. Apparently that piece of the lobby I was standing in was on was in his way.

At the show in Burlington last January, I don't think he had any bodyguards. At least they were good at hiding themselves. My wife and I were right at the front of the line, so meeting them all was pretty easy. He even asked what tunes we wanted to hear in future shows. What was really cool was I mentioned "Searching for Friends" from Final Fantasy VI and he told me to hum the tune... then started humming with me. Very cool (neerrrrrrrrrrrd!) moment.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »

You will have such a good time if you go. There's nothing like
    rocking out to "One-Winged Angel" with full orchestra and chorus
    and realizing the entire crowd is going absolutely berserk for the same reason you are. It's going to be awesome. Trust me.

I have never seen a room full of people get more fired up than when one audience member was challenged to beat a Guitar Hero Metallica song on Expert and reach a certain point threshold to get a prize. He won but it was sooooo close.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

The last game I know he did the music for was Advent Rising, which had an amazing soundtrack.

Cinders on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wasn't that impressed. Expect for the guy playing Mario on the piano. That was sweet.

enc0re on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    I wasn't that impressed. Expect for the guy playing Mario on the piano. That was sweet.

I think part of it is, it's a lot of music from video games and not video game music. Like stuff from God of War and Halo? That stuff's all orchestral any way. It sometimes feels like generic full sounding orchestral music set to a scene in a game. It isn't really distinctive, I guess.

In any case, yeah, I'll watch this.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think part of it is, it's a lot of music from video games and not video game music. Like stuff from God of War and Halo? That stuff's all orchestral any way. It sometimes feels like generic full sounding orchestral music set to a scene in a game. It isn't really distinctive, I guess.

In any case, yeah, I'll watch this.

It wasn't coordinated with the video in any special way either. And the game footage often featured really poor play.

I would have preferred a skilled run through a level, coordinated with the live music.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Some of that is true... but when they were doing the older stuff that was definitely not the case. Particularly the montage that started with Pong and Space Invaders.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kind of dumb question, but what's the appropriate attire for this thing?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Jeans. T-shirt. Shoes are probably required, too.

Seriously, while there's an orchestra playing, this is not a formal event at all. People stand up and cheer, there's video game competitions outside...

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was so fucking pissed when I missed out on this in april in minneapolis, Goddamn broke ass college kid cliche!!

I hope this comes back to minneapolis soon, I'd kill to see it.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

That "guy" is Koji fucking Kondo.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just had a nerdgasm. This looks awesome! Too bad I didn't find out about it until now... there was a concert in March in Tuscon. =/

Come to Blu-Ray faster, concert!

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Actually, it's Martin Leung.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    While I think anyone playing video game music is awesome, I thought that the Video Game Orchestra at PAX this year freakin' blew me away. They were definitely one of my favs.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Sucks. Video Games Live in Tokyo has the big guy himself. I believe he played in New York, too.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    all I can do about this is squeal like a little school girl

eeeeeee

Jars on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Sucks. Video Games Live in Tokyo has the big guy himself. I believe he played in New York, too.

I was at the one in NY, it definitely wasn't Koji Kondo.

But yeah, I saw it, and I was distinctly underwhelmed. Tallarico annoyed the shit out of me, the song selection was pretty bad (Really? All you play from Zelda is the overture from Twilight Princess?), there was a lot of nonmusic stuff (onstage costume contest, a live Skype interview with Ralph Baer), and the music was less orchestral than it was "lets take this game music and have Tallarico play it on electric guitar".

It's entirely possible that I was somewhat snobbish about it, but it rubbed me wrong and I won't be going back. I DID, however, attend the Final Fantasy "Dear Friends" concert a while ago, and that was pretty magnificent.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Was debating off and on if I wanted to go since I would be going by myself, and had just gotten into an accident last weekend.

Well my insurance came back and said that they found the other driver at fault, so no deductible or rate increase for me. Figure I'll treat myself. I'll report back with impressions.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2010

a whole lotta belts

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Meh, Martin Leung was absolutely awesome... playing the Mario theme with a blindfold, and playing it well.. it was great.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just got back from it. Had a great time.

What struck me was how diverse the crowd was. Cosplayers, regular folks, people dressed in black tie attire, parents with kids, etc. Everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves, so its certainly doing a good job spreading the good thing about videogames.

Sad that I didn't get Metal Gear, but we got an awesome flute rendition of the Zelda theme, and then at the encore had me geeking out when they played Chrono Trigger/Cross.

My only complaints is that the last quarter does seem to become the Tommy Tallarico show, and I think they could really work on the visual presentation. I seen better AMV's in youtube.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, I'm very sure the MGS set will be on the PBS special. It IS a game that revolutionized a genre, you know.

Who won the costume contest? When I went, it was some guy dressed up in a pretty good Ness outfit who beat out a good female Selphie (FF8) by a hair. If there had been anything off about that costume, I'm sure he would have lost, but he had everything- even hamburgers in his yellow backpack.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Two things:

The PBS special was... meh. Too many cuts in the music, and too much talking, with not enough music.

That said, they are doing a concert in Concord, NH. And it is free. Woooo!

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My PBS station didn't show it. yes, I am pissed.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.