As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Food and Braces

Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess?Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Thursday I went to the orthodontist to get my spacers placed in my mouth in preparation for my braces (I will have them removed in about two weeks, thankfully, after school finals). The spacers are these little blue plastic pieces they wedge between your molars, they create a gap between the teeth. I was fine that day, mostly. I was hungry, but was too uncomfortable to eat anything substantial. Yesterday, and this morning, I wake up to pain in my jaw. Hurt more than the day they placed the spacers in. The pain isn't too discomforting, I've been taking Advil to lessen it. The problem is that it does, however, hurt to chew. As of Thursday I've been eating very little. What I have eaten is broth, yogurt, small length string noodles, rice, and mashed potatoes.

I still have two more weeks till I get the braces put in, and I imagine the braces will be even worse in terms of pain and general discomfort. I also realize that having the braces will drastically reduce the number of foods I can eat. But I can't keep eating the way I have been. Since I've eaten so little, I'm feeling weak and sleepy and the hunger hasn't dissipated. This is particularly worrisome in my case since I am clinically underweight and have been trying to gain weight for several months. If I keep at this rate, it would be very easy for me to lose weight.

So what can I eat that doesn't require any chewing? What should I keep in the fridge, preferably high in calorie content. What will I have to cut from my diet? Actually, I'm pretty hungry right now, the irony being that I am at my grandmother's, and there is food everywhere, all the type of stuff I love (pizza, buffalo wings, tortilla chips and guacamole, carne asada . . .), none of which I can eat :(

Muse Among Men on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Get the meal replacement shakes, they'll be in the breakfast aisle in most stores.

Not the Slim Fast but the Carnation kind.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought those were bad for you.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    product-krema-en.jpg
    check out that dairy fat content :3

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aw man, braces. I feel for you man. I had 'em for 3 years.

The pain sucks in the beginning, but they'll eventually stop hurting. When you get them tightened they'll hurt for a day or two, but not quite enough for you to not eat.

In the beginning stick to puddings and soup, and applesauce/etc to get used to everything/not die from pain, but when the pain subsides and you get used to having metal shit on your teeth you can pretty much eat anything.

Except corn.

Fuck corn.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Smoothies! Work that blender.

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, you'll be able to eat plenty of normal foods once you get used to the braces.

But some foods will be a huge pain as long as you have braces.
    You can eat corn on the cob, but it's not really worth it. :P
    And caramel apples are right out. Well, maybe if you cut them up first.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I ate all sorts of things I wasn't supposed to when I had braces, and I didn't die.
    Often you just gotta man up and eat through the pain for a couple days.

Trillian on

• Options
    squeefishsqueefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spacers are more painful than braces. That was my personal experience, and that's what the orthodontist said most people tell him.

Also, I might just have an unusually non-sensitive mouth, but I haven't found braces to be a big deal at all. (And I have one majorly crooked tooth.) My mouth was the tiniest bit sore for a few hours after getting them tightened and initially put on, but they really haven't changed my eating habits at all. I followed the rules about no popcorn, nuts, etc for about a week, then tried a few potato chips and realized they had no effect at all on the braces. I've been back for tightening twice after eating as usual and no one's said anything, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

squeefish on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't man up when I am a wee lass :9

Is what the ortho said about sugary drinks true (that they are not bueno)? I can go without soda for a while but I can't do without coffee. I drink about two cups a day, in the morning and in the evening. It is part of my routine. I haven't had any since my parents kept giving me dagger eyes and I miss it so.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah spacers are much worse than the actual braces.

When I had mine tightened, I'd last with some pain for half a day at most. I guess the worst part about braces is getting certain foods really stuck in between braces.

REMEMBER TO BRUSH THOROUGHLY. GET ALL THE FOOD. I've met quite a few people with braces that don't do this, the food pretty much rots in their mouth, stuck to their braces, giving them terrible breath.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I can't man up when I am a wee lass :9

Is what the ortho said about sugary drinks true (that they are not bueno)? I can go without soda for a while but I can't do without coffee. I drink about two cups a day, in the morning and in the evening. It is part of my routine. I haven't had any since my parents kept giving me dagger eyes and I miss it so.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I am 5'0!
    If I can man up, anyone can!

Coffee is totally ok. Drink coffee.

Trillian on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Gosh, we're the same height!

is coffee with milk and sugar okay? Because I don't drink it black.

And coke. Best soda, not too sweet, acidic or carbonated. Will that be fine too?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pretty much every single beverage, food, and consumable will be perfectly A-OK. I didn't stop eating shit I liked because I had braces, and my teeth came out wonderful after I got them off. Coffee, soda, donuts, burgers, popcorn (BEWARE, that shit is the herpes of foods if you have braces. It gets caught in braces like a mother. Just brush it out.), anything.

Just brush 'em really well (cause shit gets stuck in them) and you'll be fine.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Every rule about normal dental hygiene goes double when you have braces, because braces make your teeth harder to clean. That's probably why your orthodontist advised against sugary drinks.

Hachface on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can also get these rad floss sticks intended for braces, which look like small cones of bristles on a stick. They're set up so you can jam 'em in under the wires because brushing doesn't work so well.

I never really modified what I ate with braces. Just the obvious things like popcorn and regular corn and anything that breaks into large particles, can be a bit bad because it gets stuck.

Just take extra-good care of your teeth, as the braces present 10x more crevices for plaque to cause you an issue.

Entriech on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Echoing others: Fuck corn on the cob.
    Solution: take a knife and shave that shit off the cob.

shredded lettuce (the kind you'd get on fast food burgers and whatnot) gets all kinds of stuck in braces.
    Apples are annoying, but cutting them isn't that hard to do.

Sugary stuff is perfectly fine as long as you brush well.

The spacers are definitely a lot more painful than the braces themselves, which only hurt for, at most, a week after you get them on, then for a couple days at a time every time you get them adjusted (when I had them it was once a month).

Prepare to have a pretty tore-up mouth for the first month you have them on.
    They can hook up to your lip or cheek, but it just takes some careful maneuvering to unhook it.

Always keep advil on hand, especially if they make you wear the elastic bands that stretch from top to bottom (used to adjust for over/underbite).

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think I'm getting bands :( I have a slight overbite, a fact I'd never noticed until they made the mold. Since it is slight maybe I wont wear them very long?

I'm managing the spacers okay (aside from the no chewing bit) so I guess the braces themselves wont be tood bad.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As long as you wear the bands regularly, you probably won't need them for that long.
    Though if you're like myself and most of my friends who have had braces (and this is not an endorsement to do such a thing), you can wear them once or twice then toss the bag. There's a good chance they won't really make a fuss about you not wearing them.
    This is not a good thing though, as it won't cure your overbite, but that really depends on how big of a deal it is to you.
    Also note that with the bands, if you're going to wear them, make sure you do it regularly, because they're a bitch to adjust to if you take a week or two off.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As I recall, and as others say, braces only particularly hurt in the first couple of days. I managed ok, I think I had pasta without any crunchy things (peppers, carrots etc.) and soup.

After that then you can eat most things, though be aware of the difficulty of cleaning. Also avoid particularly sticky food such as toffee. Whilst I don't think it can pull the brace off, it can pull the wire out of the brace.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I ate cream of wheat for about a week straight when I got my braces. Cooked it in the morning, stuck it in a thermos, took it to school for lunch. Got a lot of strange looks from my classmates. *Shrugs* Totally worth it though.

Milk shakes are a good option too. (Probably not for lunch at school, though) Scoop ice cream into a glass, fill the empty spaces with milk, and mix them up with a spoon.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    squeefish wrote: »
    Spacers are more painful than braces. That was my personal experience, and that's what the orthodontist said most people tell him.

Also, I might just have an unusually non-sensitive mouth, but I haven't found braces to be a big deal at all. (And I have one majorly crooked tooth.) My mouth was the tiniest bit sore for a few hours after getting them tightened and initially put on, but they really haven't changed my eating habits at all. I followed the rules about no popcorn, nuts, etc for about a week, then tried a few potato chips and realized they had no effect at all on the braces. I've been back for tightening twice after eating as usual and no one's said anything, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Yessss. 4 years of braces didn't compare to the day and a half of wearing those spacers. Wanted nothing more than to rip them out after 20 minutes of having them in.

So yeah, braces won't be bad compared to the spacers. When you get them tightened, they'll ache for 2-3 days and you'll have to make do with softer things but then the pain fades.

Underdog on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Yeah spacers are much worse than the actual braces.

When I had mine tightened, I'd last with some pain for half a day at most. I guess the worst part about braces is getting certain foods really stuck in between braces.

REMEMBER TO BRUSH THOROUGHLY. GET ALL THE FOOD. I've met quite a few people with braces that don't do this, the food pretty much rots in their mouth, stuck to their braces, giving them terrible breath.

Third'd! Spacers are SO much worse than braces, which I had for four years. Once you get the braces in, you'll get used to everything pretty quickly. I ate pretty much everything I ate before except for gum, with the braces, so don't worry too much about that- as long as you keep up with the brushing and flossing, it won't be a problem.

As to the food issue with the spacers, I ate a lot of butternut squash soup while I had them in. Relatively nutritious, and pretty tasty.

edit: Also, I HATED the bands. Absolutely despised them. They are the worst. But they are still not nearly as bad as the spacers, and as long as you wear them regularly you won't have to wear them very long at all.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What I can recommend is oatmeal. Delicious, nutritious, and can be spiced up if its too bland! Though its similar to a lot of things already on the list.
    You could drink some smoothies. Just blend some fruits together and drink it down.
    Also drink lots of water. It fills you up surprisingly well.

Once you get to braces though, its really not as bad as the spacers. My pre-orthodontics food eating habits did not change at all with braces. Every time I saw a list of foods you weren't supposed to eat with braces I simply chuckled and proceeded to shovel corn and popcorn and gummi snacks into my food-hole.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The day I got my spacers I learned I could eat spaghetti without chewing.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Even though it's a ways off, when you eventually get the braces off is so weird feeling. Like someone just gave you 2x the space in your mouth.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have braces right now(I'm 28!), I've had them since last September. I've never had spacers, but every time I get new arch wires, I can't eat anything solid for about 5-7 days, or about 10 days when I got my braces on the very first time. I ate combinations of non-chunky soup, yogurt, smoothies, eggs, chili etc. I also lost about 15-20 pounds so you may want to be better about eating than I was.

When I returned to eating, I started out being very careful of what I ate, but over time I've started having limited quantities of tortilla chips(just eat slowly), hamburgers, buffalo wings, pizza etc. I think the only thing I've come across that I still refuse to eat, is corn on the cob and popcorn.

I don't naturally have a lot of sweet foods, so that hasn't been an issue for me, although I do use a little dental tool/pick etc that I use to get rid of the significant amounts of plaque that escape my floss, so I probably wouldn't worry too much about sugar anyways. I wouldn't worry about limited soda intake.

Be prepared to potentially spend 20 minutes or more to floss and clean your teeth, and the inside of your lips will likely be sore at some point. I use Colgate Peroxyl to help reduce the irritation, and wax on the irritating brackets when I sleep.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh cool, didn't think people were still replying. What are the sort of things I should include in soups? Soup in my house: throw the ingredients as is into a pot of water. My mom rarely cuts up anything. Soup's got whole potatoes and chicken legs, you still need a fork to eat it.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Roasted red pepper and tomato with blended or chunked up tofu for protein.
    Delicious and if you fry the cut up tofu before throwing it in the pot at the end it's got some texture.

Trillian on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    what? who puts whole potatoes into a soup?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    SCUM AND VILLANY THAT'S WHO

Trillian on

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh cool, didn't think people were still replying. What are the sort of things I should include in soups? Soup in my house: throw the ingredients as is into a pot of water. My mom rarely cuts up anything. Soup's got whole potatoes and chicken legs, you still need a fork to eat it.

For me, anything remotely chewy, even in a soup, was out of the question, at least for the first couple of days after getting my braces adjusted. Tofu actually sounds like a great idea, I just don't cook.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

Mexicans

No really.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm talking blended soups, mainly-- say, start with chopped up veggies or whatever and then after it's all cooked and soft, stick in an immersion blender and make that stuff nice and smooth! Maybe add cream or milk if you're feeling it should be thinner/ creamier

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've honestly never heard of such a thing before, but I'll give it a try.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

Mexicans

No really.

I'm half mexican, I've never seen this. Unless you're talking about itty bitty baby potatoes.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have braces right now, mostly because I'm gearing up for jaw surgery at the end of the year. Could have done without the tooth straightening, but orthodontists are damn perfectionists.

Like other people have said, the spacers cause the most jaw/tooth pain. However when you first get the brackets and such put on, they're going to irritate your mouth. The bands they put on your back molars that go all the way around the tooth (and anchor the wires and such) might have these posts that stick out into your mouth and rub against your tongue. Supposedly they're for rubber bands, but not everyone has them. These were the worst part for me by far, all you can do is keep them covered with wax and get used to them over time. Now they dont really bother me.

Food restrictions will go away slowly as you get more comfortable with the braces. I eat pretty much whatever I want now, one thing I tend to avoid is salad simply because everything wraps around the brackets and is a nightmare to remove. I really miss it.

Also one last thing: if you're getting clear brackets, you may want to reconsider... I got clear ones on top and they're larger and sharper than the metal brackets. I wish I had gotten metal all the way around.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ha, I went to my ortho today. Because of insurance complications (we thought we were getting different braces), I never got the braces put on but fuck it was awful regardless.

I wish the only people allowed to enter dentistry were dainty little Asian women with small hands because these manly meat paws are so easy to gag and choke on and otherwise bruise and stretch my lips. I have a very small jaw and have tried to go to 'children's dentistry' specialists because they have smaller toolsets but we have fewer options because of our insurance plan. And worst gag reflex? Right here. It doesn't take very much to have me start choking and sputtering. Suffice to say I left dissy and lightheaded and teary from all the choking.

Additionally, the bands had to be placed in 6 times. Urrrgh. After the first 4 they decided that method wouldn't work and redid my bottom two bands. Since I have a persistent twitch on the right side of my face I have continued friction against it and the band and the band has those poky bits. They poke right through the wax.

Considering that was just the beginning how much worse will the actual procedure be?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Don't worry, millions of kids get braces. It's practically a right of passage from childhood to... later stages of childhood :P

There will be bits poking into the sides of your mouth, there will be throbbing dull pain for days, there will be lots of lip stretching and gag inducing mold taking and all that horrible stuff.

But you'll get used to it pretty quick. It's really not the worst thing in the world.

And I was always under the assumption that you couldn't have soda because the carbonation eroded the cement. I drank it anyways because I had braces for 5 fucking years and after dealing with that much shit, I drank whatever the hell I wanted. :x

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have to find out how long I am having them on. If it is too long I will end it sooner and just settle with the slightly crooked teeth. Really the only people that make a fuss about it is my family, I never feel self-conscious about it and they don't impede anything (don't tell insurance but it is pretty much entirely cosmetic). I just think they are gross :(

And there is no way I will give up soda or anything else sugary.What else am I supposed to drink?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Considering that was just the beginning how much worse will the actual procedure be?

If it makes you feel any better, having your wisdom teeth removed makes braces look like a walk in the park.

Seriously though, you'll just have a little discomfort for up to a week after they're adjusted and put in and then back to normal eating habits mostly. Either I don't remember or my orthodontist didn't say anything about avoiding any foods at all. You name it, I was all over it while I had my braces. Drank pop by the gallons, candy, corn, meat, vegetables, probably even some cat food just to see how it tasted.

The one thing I regret is always forgetting my retainer after I'd finished with braces. My teeth look relatively fine regardless, but they could look better.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png