As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Guys: It's gone!

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sJJoJ0nfkw&feature=related

So the "Sneak peek" was last week, and I caught it. And it's pretty good! It's by the creator of the fantastic Burn Notice and they're not too far removed tone wise. They're both fun, action shows.

And man, it's like they travelled back in time and plucked Tom Hanks. His son has his mannerism and act down pat.

Kyougu on
«134

Posts

  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Caught the sneak preview on hulu as well and loved it. Never pictured Bradley Whitford as an aging 80s action hero, though.

    Will be watching it again in a few minutes!

    Tomanta on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I saw this episode and it was terrible, ugh. Not for me I guess.

    So It Goes on
  • Options
    quietguyinthebackquietguyintheback Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I caught an episode on Hulu yesterday, and it was great. The car chase scenes were so low budget awesome. It reminded me a lot of Good vs Evil, if anyone remembers that one.

    quietguyintheback on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Caught the sneak preview on hulu as well and loved it. Never pictured Bradley Whitford as an aging 80s action hero, though.

    Will be watching it again in a few minutes!

    Man, I never even made the connection of who he is.

    Kyougu on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I saw this episode and it was terrible, ugh. Not for me I guess.

    Yeah, I'm a big Burn Notice fan but this didn't do it for me.

    tofu on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought the first episode was far better than it deserved to be. There were many quality components to it and the writing seemed good.

    I just wish they were something other than police officers.

    _J_ on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I never judge a show by its pilot, because they're usually pretty bad and not representative of the show in general

    The pilot exists to set up the show's premise, and this did a good job of that

    Also, I was fairly entertained by the line
    "Show them all why you are the second best"

    It cracked me up, actually

    joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I guess I have no patience for these type of shows anymore. Unrealistic and a dime a dozen.

    So It Goes on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I never judge a show by its pilot, because they're usually pretty bad and not representative of the show in general

    The pilot exists to set up the show's premise, and this did a good job of that

    Also, I was fairly entertained by the line
    "Show them all why you are the second best"

    It cracked me up, actually

    I really liked

    "You drank a quart of whiskey in the car."
    "It was a fifth!"

    _J_ on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not too crazy about Whitman in this show. It seems a little insulting to all cops from the eighties with calling a laptop "computer machines", and he's really over-acting his role a lot in this show. If he scaled it back a bit I could really get into this show.

    Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just watched the series premiere, loving it, will tune in next week. That Sig hates it is all I need.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Watched the pilot when it aired. Haven't had a chance to catch last night's episode yet. Dug the pilot enough to tell the DVR to start grabbing the show though. After Reaper poofed, been looking for an hour long dramedy type show.

    Bolthorn on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I guess I have no patience for these type of shows anymore. Unrealistic and a dime a dozen.

    I'd substitute "unrealistic" for "cheeseball" since it doesn't really count as unrealistic when unrealistic is kinda the point.

    I could definitely see why some people won't like it, but so far I think it has potential. I laughed a few times.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My wife and I are trying to work the word "humidifinder" into conversation as much as possible.

    JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JonBob wrote: »
    My wife and I are trying to work the word "humidifinder" into conversation as much as possible.

    Computer machine is how I will refer to most digital devices until I get bored of it.

    Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This show is filmed entirely here in Dallas, Texas.

    It's apparently a big deal to the local news stations.

    I recognized a few locations in the pilot that I have personally been drunk in, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

    The Dagon on
    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think I'm going to request new business cards with "Computer Machine Whisperer" as my job title.

    JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    These were good! I like how it takes every single character not very seriously. Even the bad guys have dumb banter. There aren't any hardcases.

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Dagon wrote: »
    This show is filmed entirely here in Dallas, Texas.

    It's apparently a big deal to the local news stations.

    I recognized a few locations in the pilot that I have personally been drunk in, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

    Yeah, it was shot around Greenville from what I hear.

    Kyougu on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The Dagon wrote: »
    This show is filmed entirely here in Dallas, Texas.

    It's apparently a big deal to the local news stations.

    I recognized a few locations in the pilot that I have personally been drunk in, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

    Yeah, it was shot around Greenville from what I hear.

    No shit? I had a psycho-ex-girlfriend who used to live in Greenville

    joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Josh Lyman: Action Hero.

    Oh, I'm so in.

    deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I watched the pilot yesterday, and it was good fun.

    I love how the word humidifier got more mangled each time he said it.

    I think it ended at "Hudimidifinder."

    edit: And Good vs Evil was the best damn show.

    Drake on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    People, uh, didn't watch the latest episode?

    I thought it was pretty good. 's still on hulu

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    People, uh, didn't watch the latest episode?

    I thought it was pretty good. 's still on hulu

    It was good times.

    "The ladies Jack, the Ladies."

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    People, uh, didn't watch the latest episode?

    I thought it was pretty good. 's still on hulu

    It was good times.

    "The ladies Jack, the Ladies."

    I liked the innovative cuffing to counter the sleeper at the end the most.

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah that was a little Sin Cityish, I also liked how Colin Hanks wasn't a pussy and came up and freaking owned that guy.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah that was a little Sin Cityish, I also liked how Colin Hanks wasn't a pussy and came up and freaking owned that guy.

    Im watching the episodes on hulu now , its hilarious .

    EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Really enjoying this show.

    Kyougu on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm in. Not looking for anything 'deep' here - just something entertaining. And so far, it's doing that just fine.

    The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The 'fast' and loose guy looks like stroker from stroker and hoop. Acts just like him too. My coworker spotted this and said I might like it, I need to check it out....

    stroker_and_hoop-show.jpg

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I said to my wife watching last weeks that it occured to me how much this show reminded me of the Dragnet movie from the 80s. It's not just because there's a Hanks in each one either. The show just sort of gives off that vibe. The show isn't deep by any stretch, but it's clever. I think if they keep doing the time skip thing though it could become very annoying. They've done a pretty good job so far though.

    Bolthorn on
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    I said to my wife watching last weeks that it occured to me how much this show reminded me of the Dragnet movie from the 80s. It's not just because there's a Hanks in each one either. The show just sort of gives off that vibe. The show isn't deep by any stretch, but it's clever. I think if they keep doing the time skip thing though it could become very annoying. They've done a pretty good job so far though.

    This. I keep telling friends to watch it, starting with "you remember the Dragnet movie?"

    Then they say "I never saw the Dragnet movie" and I get upset. How are there people who didn't see the Dragnet movie?

    Alternatively, Whitford's character is like Starsky and Hutch if they got old. They even have a wacky black guy informant!

    411Randle on
    1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I forgot about this show until I saw Whitford on Craig Fergerson last week. All I remember from a promo is that he had a Tom Selleck mustache.

    Guess I need to hit up the hulu.

    tallgeeze on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Most people probably don't even know there was a Dragnet movie unless they happen to catch it on Comedy Central while channel surfing.

    Tomanta on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I dunno, I think if you were alive in the 80s you knew about the Dragnet movie. That doesn't mean you watched it, but at least aware of it I'm sure. It was back when Hanks and Aykroyd were still bankable as comedy actors.

    Bolthorn on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was alive in the 80s but didn't know about the Dragnet film until the mid to late 90s. I suppose it you were over, say, 10 when it came out you would remember it. But it's not one of the things Hanks or Akroyd are well known for.

    Tomanta on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PAGAN? People Against Goodness And Normalcy?

    I love everything about this show, and am terrified that it is going to go away.

    deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    deowolf wrote: »
    PAGAN? People Against Goodness And Normalcy?

    I love everything about this show, and am terrified that it is going to go away.

    Yeah, I agree. It does unfortunately have that air of "FOX will cancel this" about it. I think it may also because actors that were in Reaper move on to other shows that also get canceled.

    Bolthorn on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    deowolf wrote: »
    PAGAN? People Against Goodness And Normalcy?

    I love everything about this show, and am terrified that it is going to go away.

    Yeah, I agree. It does unfortunately have that air of "FOX will cancel this" about it. I think it may also because actors that were in Reaper move on to other shows that also get canceled.

    Wiki says Fox has ordered 20 episodes and that it will air on Fridays in the Fall.

    Do Friday shows get a little more slack, considering it's a terrible slot?

    gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    deowolf wrote: »
    PAGAN? People Against Goodness And Normalcy?

    I love everything about this show, and am terrified that it is going to go away.

    Yeah, I agree. It does unfortunately have that air of "FOX will cancel this" about it. I think it may also because actors that were in Reaper move on to other shows that also get canceled.

    Wiki says Fox has ordered 20 episodes and that it will air on Fridays in the Fall.

    Do Friday shows get a little more slack, considering it's a terrible slot?

    Well Doll House and Sarah Connor both got to be on way longer then you would normally think they would. X-files also started on a friday.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
Sign In or Register to comment.