As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 6-9-10: Took. Muh. Fce.

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Graphic Violence
Secret Six #22, for as bad as Rise of Arsenal #3 was with violence and trying to be edgy, SS makes it look so easy:

ss22a.jpg

ss22b.jpg

ss22c.jpg

ss22d.jpg

ss22e.jpg

And then he throws old fart out the window and says a prayer for his son.

And I found this Avengers mini series at the shop that I never heard of, USAgent, Thunderstrike, and War Machine teaming up in a Mark Gruenwald story involving Kang and it has to have awesome moments in it:

ati1a.jpg

TexiKen on

• Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh my god I need to buy that mini.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I need to start buying Secret Six. That Catman dude is pretty awesome.

Anyway, my moment of the week was the end of the preview for Thanos Imperative #2.

Solar on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Batman #700 is the moment of the week when I actually took the time to figure out all the crazy time hopping.

Also
    New Earth Terry and a ton of other future Batman! Including one with a Burt Ward Robin Robot

Furu on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    Batman #700 is the moment of the week when I actually took the time to figure out all the crazy time hopping.

Also
    New Earth Terry and a ton of other future Batman! Including one with a Burt Ward Robin Robot
    That's Robin, the Toy Wonder, from DC 1,000,000

Garlic Bread on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dave Finch actually drew some feet too!

I mean, he tried his best to hide them but sometimes he couldn't.

TexiKen on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I hear Cap was great this week, a good return to form for two ex-Thunderbolts

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Furu, you should check out the DC One Million stuff, particularly the Batman and Young Justice stories.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    I knew I should have bought Batman #700.

Munch on
    edited June 2010
    So I hear Cap was great this week, a good return to form for two ex-Thunderbolts

Hey. Hey.

TexiKen on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I haven't read Cap yet, but while I was in my LCS, I was just thinking about how long its been since I read a new Cap issue. Seems like its been a really long time.

Also, was a big week for me on the Marvel side in general. Got all 3 of my solo series books in the same week: Daredevil, Cap, and Iron Man.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2010
    Also gonna flood this bitch with Young Allies images whenever I can.

Cap was pretty good too!

Avengers Academy was uh...hm.

Furu on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2010
    Munch wrote: »

It was just a splash page showing the different Batmen and Robins after Damian

Garlic Bread on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My Young allies hasn't hit yet ( damn you Furu, it was my only pull that wasn't in) but I'll agree with the " uh hmm" for Academy.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Why would you not have bought Batman #700?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited June 2010
    Prince of Power #2
    64no12.jpg

Furu on
    edited June 2010
    Kill him, Thor

TexiKen on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i LOVE that book already. Also, my god Shield #2 was good. Might be my favourite for the month, simply cos its got me seriously waiting for the next one. Its like LOST for marvel.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, Batman 700.
    Wow.
    Batman and Robin fighting the Mutants was awesome, because Quitely fight scenes are awesome. Then they had lunch and that was adorable. Then Two-Face-2. Then Damian training McGinnis. Then Batman One Million.

Tairu on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gank wrote: »
    i LOVE that book already. Also, my god Shield #2 was good. Might be my favourite for the month, simply cos its got me seriously waiting for the next one. Its like LOST for marvel.

I was thinking that it really felt like that SCP Foundation stuff that got linked in SE++.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shield was pretty boring this week, lots of exposition with nothing happening

Heralds was ok this week, still fun to read but the other artist has a very, uh, amorphous style

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Heralds was ok this week, still fun to read but the other artist has a very, uh, awesome style

Reading Avengers Academy first made Heralds all the more enjoyable.

NODe on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NODe wrote: »
    Heralds was ok this week, still fun to read but the other artist has a very, uh, awesome style

Reading Avengers Academy first made Heralds all the more enjoyable.
    I'd think reading Avengers Academy first would make just about anything more enjoyable.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited June 2010
    Seems like Avengers Academy was streets behind. Is this because of the writing, the premise, or art?

TexiKen on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »

Yeah, like, what the hell?

Algertman on
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Seems like Avengers Academy was streets behind. Is this because of the writing, the premise, or art?

Premise is essentially fine...not original, but there's room for good stories there.

Art is...serviceable? The anatomy is pretty sloppy when you look at it closely and there's a weird disparity between the faces and the bodies in many cases. It reminds me of DC house style art, just not done as well as it could be.

The writing is clumsy. A decent writer could script exactly the same story and make it 100 times more enjoyable because they wouldn't spell every damn thing out.
    Speedball instantly flipping out about his past, Lightningpants or whatever his name is literally saying I want the spotlight and the fame etc.

NODe on
    edited June 2010
    Probably one of the most glaring flaws is that the way Speedball is acting is completely at odds with how he was at the end of the book Gage wrote himself. It's like AA is by a completely different and worse writer.

Furu on
    edited June 2010
    Probably one of the most glaring flaws is that the way Speedball is acting is completely at odds with how he was at the end of the book Gage wrote himself. It's like AA is by a completely different and worse writer.

Good to know that if I read more comics AA would have been even worse...

NODe on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

So he's back to being Speedball? That's just weird. Character is going from one extreme to the other.

Kyougu on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It was just a splash page showing the different Batmen and Robins after Damian
    Oh, then eff that.
    Zeromus wrote:
    I've been cutting back on what I buy. Plus, five bucks for 31 pages of story?

Ehhh.

Munch on
    edited June 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

So he's back to being Speedball? That's just weird. Character is going from one extreme to the other.

He's calling himself Speedball again but
    he's slouching around looking miserable, he and someone else nearly call him Penance again, and he has a 0-100 outburst about blowing up buses of children and "smelling burnt pork", which...really? *sigh*

NODe on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Unless you are Warren Ellis or Dan Slott, it is impossible to tell a good Post-Civil War Robbie Baldwin story

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2010
    and anyone who disagrees with dan slott:
    pcatdv1.jpg

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Unless you are Warren Ellis or Dan Slott, it is impossible to tell a good Post-Civil War Robbie Baldwin story

It's really not!

Gage was doing fine with him in Initiative, with him getting over being Penance and wisecracking while beating up HAMMER agents.

It was basically Speedball in a Penance costume, but now he's Penance in a Speedball costume.

It's really weird that Gage has just completely discarded his previous characterization for no reason.

Furu on
    edited June 2010

It's really not!

Gage was doing fine with him in Initiative, with him getting over being Penance and wisecracking while beating up HAMMER agents.

It was basically Speedball in a Penance costume, but now he's Penance in a Speedball costume.

It's really weird that Gage has just completely discarded his previous characterization for no reason.

Well, to be fair, the MU only has so many miserable loners with a haunted past that he can draw on.....

Is/Was Initiative any good as a whole?

NODe on
    edited June 2010

It's really not!

furu I just wanted to post P-Cat

not make an informed opinion

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2010
    It was!

Which is again why AA's first issue being the awkwardestly written thing since awkward came to awkward town is so weird.

Furu on
    edited June 2010
    Did gage ever become sole writer of the Initiative, or was he always co-writing with Slott?

I kind of forgot about that book

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2010
    He was the sole writer after issue #12 except for the Disassembled arc.

Furu on
    edited June 2010
    well dang

hey look at p-cat again

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How come P-Cat isn't on the Pet Avengers!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508